Fireworks Shoppe

Tornadopelt

The sun rose over the average town of Ponyville, and with it, a pegasus. The yellow-ochre pegasus pony walked into a shop that was owned by him and his parents. The shop's name was the Fireworks Shoppe. Now, this building looked a lot like Sugarcube Corner, but the design was a bit different. There were no spokes off of the building, the roof wasn't curved, and there was a radar dish on top of the room where the pegasus did some of his break time stuff. "Looks like another slow day today," the pony said. "Hey, Mom! How's our sales doing?" "Slow, but still good!" His mother, a pink pegasus pony with a reddish mane and tail, bright green eyes, and a fire-colored flower on her flank, shouted enthusiastically. "Well, time to open the shop," he said. And with tha, he changed the sign on the Fireworks Shoppe from "Closed" to "Open," awaiting his first customer today.

Guest EoLPinkie

The moment the sun shone through the window of Pinkie Pie's room at Sugarcube Corner, her eyes popped open and a smile as bright as the sunlight around her burst onto her face. With a squeal she tumbled out of bed and tossed her sleeping pet into the air.

"Gooooooooooooood morning Gummy!" she giggled, catching the startled alligator squarely on her back before bouncing around her room. "What should we do today? Bake? Ooo maybe we should sing a song! Is it anypony's birthday today?"

In a flash she'd zipped across the room, with Gummy hanging onto her coat for dear life. Dominating one wall of her room was a large calendar, decorated with various drawings of balloons, streamers, presents, and the names of several ponies of Ponyville. Her blue eyes roamed over the board, but the square for that day was sadly empty.

"That's okay!" she said, speeding over to the window to look at the town below. "There's lots of other stuff we can do! I mean there's so many fun things that I don't even know where to start!"

As Pinkie spoke, Gummy dropped to the floor before climbing back onto the bed with a disgruntled growling sound. The pink earth pony glanced over and snickered.

"Too tired? Alright, I'll go find something fun and bring it back for both of us! Maybe my friends have something neat they're doing!"

Knowing that most of the others didn't wake up this early, Pinkie burst out into the street and starting skipping down the cobblestones.

"Ooooooh I wonder who wants to be my friend today? We'll laugh and sing and bounce and play! Pony games are so much fun, I'm so excited, gotta run!"

With that she broke from a skip into a spirited gallop, tearing around the still nearly-dormant Ponyville in search of someone to play with. While climbing a tree she'd found, Pinkie spotted a shop she'd never been into before.

"Oooooo," she gasped, her eyes going wide and round at the sight of the building and its satellite dish. "That's fancy! 'Fireworks Shoppe,' why didn't anypony mention this before! Weeeeeeee!"

The earth pony tumbled from the tree in a spray of leaves to roll to a stop right in front of the shop's front door. With a grin she thumped her forehead against the wood, before singing out, "Heeeeeeeelloooooooooooo?! Anypony home? I hope so, this looks super duper fun!"

((Still not sure if this belonged here or in free-for-all rp. I suppose if a mod sees this and it's in the wrong place we could very politely ask them to move it to the right forum? :D I wouldn't want to impose on Tempest's char hehe))

While drinking a glass of water, Thunder Storm placed a firework down on a table. "Ok, that's done and-" A loud thumping sound made the yellow pegasus spit out some of the clear liquid. Thunder Storm recovered, shook himself off, and then looked around before hearing a cheerful voice. "Heeeeeeeelloooooooooooo?! Anypony home? I hope so, this looks super duper fun!" "A customer?" Thunder Storm asked. He ran down the stairs, ditching the firework, and raced to the door. "Coming!" Thunder called, and then opened the door.

Guest EoLPinkie

Pinkie was greeted by a yellow pegasus with water running down his chin. She giggled and tilted her head to the side, smiling widely at him.

"Hi! Do you work here? I'm Pinkie Pie! We haven't met!" She quirked a brow. "Why haven't we met, I know every pony in Ponyville. Who are you? I bet you're fun, I mean you're in a fireworks shop..."

As she spoke the pony bounced in place, flopping her curly mane all over the place. Without further hesitation she rushed inside and looked around, trying to take in everything at once.

"Do you have sparklers! Oooo what about those candley things? Big explodey ones? They're so fun!"

She could barely hold in her excitement as she waited for a response, her whole body quivering with glee as she stared intently at her new friend.

Thunder Storm took in all of what Pinkie Pie was saying. Once she started asking about what he had, he knew he had a customer. "Pinkie, you've come to the right place! I own the Fireworks Shoppe, and I have all those things and more! Sparklers, Roman Candles, Shells... You name it, I've got it! What would you like today?"

Guest EoLPinkie

"I like them all!" she gasped, listening intently. "I throw lots of parties, so big BOOMS are important! I need some more powder for my party cannon too! Oh, I could use some candles too! Can't forget the sparklers... Do you have anything that shoots up high in the sky like they use at all the fancy pants celebrations?"

She stared happily at the pegasus, waiting for a response. "I bet you've got lots of experience Mr. Fireworks Shoppe!"

While outwardly quiet, in Pinkie's mind she was already imagining what she could do with all the explosive fun she saw around her. There would be big colorful flashes, musical pops and cracks, glimmering lights in all different shades, and the smiles of her friends would be as big as the fireworks going off! The more she thought about it, the wider her grin became.

Thunder Storm looked at Pinkie Pie, noticing what he had been called. "My name's not Fireworks Shoppe, it's Thunder Storm. And if you're looking for a big boom..." He dove down, rummaging through his stock, when he found what he was looking for. "I've got a BIG BOOM." After saying that, he placed a 12-inch shell on the counter. "And here are some comets, mines, roman candles, sparklers, shells... and THE ULTIMATE PARTY PACK." He placed enough fireworks to fill 2 chariots out in front of Pinkie Pie. "Being that you like parties, i'll give these to you free of charge! Besides, someone like you needs these a lot more than I do," Thunder Storm said. "In the Ultimate Party Pack, you have a lot of Roman Candles, sparklers, and a lot of the other types of fireworks. This amount is probably enough to have a small battle with! But, knowing you, you'd probably throw the largest, biggest party you could come up with."

Guest EoLPinkie

"Oooooooo!" Pinkie squealed as she watched the fireworks pile in front of her. "There's so many! And your name is Thunder Storm? Is it because you're responsible for bringing in the storms each season?" She put a hoof to her chin. "Or maybe you make the thunder noises! I always wondered how rain did that. A pegasus pony sitting in the clouds yelling 'BOOM! CRACKLE! ZZZZZZZZZZZT!' makes perfect sense! Is that what you do?!"

Without waiting she flopped her head on the table, nudging the 12-inch shell with her nose. "I can't wait to try one of these. And I can't believe you're giving them to me! Can you show me how they work outside? I bet it'd be lots and lots of fun!"

She grabbed it in her teeth and stood near the door to the shop, looking back at Thunder Storm expectantly.

"Lesh goo!" she garbled, smiling around the firework.

Thunder Storm blinked in response. "Actually, I'm not affiliated with the weather ponies. And I don't bring storms in. Something about possibly lighting my store on fire and causing untold damage to Ponyville. Anyway, I'll show you why i called this one the Thunder Storm!" He nodded, then looked at Pinkie Pie. Following her, he placed the 12-inch shell in its tube, then ignited the fuse. He sounded a small siren, warning the two to back away in case it didn't leave its gun. Fortunately, the shell left and flew into the air about 100 feet up. Once it reached its peak, it exploded with a massive BANG that sounded like one from a lightning bolt. Shortly after, more thunderous bangs sounded, sending out bright white tails that flew really quickly before exploding themselves with small explosions. "HAHAH! How'd you like THAT, Pinkie?! WHOO!" Thunder Storm shouted, unleashing his inner pyromaniac.

Guest EoLPinkie

"I thought all pegasus ponies did some kind of weather! That's something I didn't know," Pinkie commented as she let her new friend take the shell.

When the siren went off the pony cheered with it, her voice almost as loud and high-pitched as the klaxon wailing. She jumped up and down and waved her hooves as the firework flew high into the air and exploded, then quickly settled into giggling awe at the lightning-esque flashes and booms.

"That was so fun!" she shouted, unaware of her volume due to the ringing in her ears. "I have an even better idea!"

In a flash she'd zoomed back inside and retrieved three more of the shells, stacking them on top of one another in the tube..

"How does this work?" she inquired, grinning as she ignited the fuses she could reach. "Just do this and run away?"

"NO, NO, NO!" Thunder STorm reacted immediately, putting out each fuse before it reached the shells. "If there's one firework rule you gotta obey, it's that YOU NEVER PUT TWO OR MORE FIREWORKS IN ONE GUN. That's a disaster waitng to happen. If you want more, then it's off to the Ponyville Bomb Range." As the two went to the PBR, Thunder Storm held onto all three shells.

At the Bomb Range, there was so many tubes that it looked like a miniature war zone. "Pinkie, I recommend you take these," Thunder Storm said as he handed Pinkie a pair of earplugs. He put his own in, then loaded each shell into its own tube. He gave the countdown over a loudspeaker, counting down the seconds. "Firing in ten, niner, eight, seven, six, fiver, four, three, two, one." Upon shouting "Fire," he pressed the button that ignited all three from a safe didstance. The three shells quickly went up into the air, reaching 100 feet at their peak, and then exploding with enough noise that Applejack could hear it from her farm. Those salutes exploded again, releasing the white tails before exploding yet again. The sheer magntude of the fireworks lit up the Bomb Range for several seconds.

Guest EoLPinkie

Pinkie stared wide-eyed as she was lead to yet another place she'd never visited. This was the best part about new friends, they always knew new things! When she was offered the earplugs she popped them in and eagerly watched Thunder Storm set up more fireworks. As he started to count down she hopped with each number, going higher and higher until he shouted "Fire!"

"BOOM!" she yelled with him, laughing at the shells as they launched and went through their fantastic display again.

Pinkie's teeth chattered with the reverberation, and she shuddered up and down repeatedly. When the lights finally died down she hugged her pegasus friend with a "Woo!"

"Can I shoot one? Huh huh can I? They're so fun and sparkly and bright and pretty!"

Guest EoLPinkie

Pinkie Pie tried to place the shell as Thunder had done, but was obviously having trouble as it took her several tries.

"Maybe this... no, how about... grr, this? Hee hee nope!"

After twisting and turning the explosive several times over, the pony finally had it placed and trotted proudly back to her companion.

"Tricky aren't they? I never knew fireworks were so fun! I usually only use poppers and my cannon but nothing this big! Can I do the countdown? Do you still want to press the button?"

She hopped from hoof to hoof, antsy to see what new wonders this next explosion would hold.

Thunder Storm looked at Pinkie, then said, "Okay. But I'LL push the button," Thunder Storm remarked. He heard Pinkie do the countdown, then noticed a cyan dot that was growing larger, because it was headed towards the Bomb Range. Luckily, the assailant was out of the way. When Pinkie yelled "Fire," Thunder Storm pushed the button, sending a golden-yellow streak into the sky. When it, too, reached its peak of 100 feet, the shell turned into a ring-like display of rainbow colors being sent outward in a Rainboom-like fashion. The Rainboom explosion was literally a ring of rainbow fire that disipated after several seconds. "And that, Pinkie, is the Sonic Rainboom."

Guest EoLPinkie

Pinkie flopped onto her haunches in amazement at how well Tornado's new toy emulated her friend Rainbow Dash's signature flying move. It was really impressive for a firework to do something that normally required breaking the sound barrier. As she stared, she noticed that her friend was looking at something beyond the magical display, and shaded her eyes with a leg.

"Whatcha looking at?" she inquired, searching the sky for the source of his attention. "Is it a balloon? A pegasus? A super flying dragon beetle griffon bug? What is it?" she laughed, flopping onto her back and spinning in circles while still looking upward. "I wanna see it too!"

The young, pyro pegasus looked at the assailant when he saw a flash on the radar. "Pinkie, I see something on the radar!" The incoming "missile" started to slow down upom seeing the dish on top. "You are in Bomb Range Airspace. Please land and identify yourself." The cyan pegasus landed, and Thunder Storm realized who he was seeing.

Guest EoLPinkie

"Wha? We have radar? That's fancy!" Pinkie squealed, hopping to her hooves and trotting over. "Is that dot part of the show? Can we make more? Beep beep beep!" she sang, sidling in right next to Thunder.

When the pegasus stated his ultimatum to their visitor, the pink pony looked inquisitively as the mysterious newcomer landed. "Ooo, I didn't know you were coming!" she cheered as she bounced up and down. "I'm so happy that ponies are starting to wake up and be out and about!"

Guest EoLPinkie

"Hiiiiiiiiii Rainbow!" Pinkie yelled, waving a hoof frantically at her friend despite being less than five feet away. "Didja see the Sonic Rainboom firework? Huh? Thunder made it! He's such a smart boom pony! He can make all sorts of pretty lights and sounds and it's so fun!"

Blowing her mane out of an eye with a puff of breath, she inhaled and kept going. "I just met him today but we're already great friends! I was gonna come find you or Rarity or Twilight or the rest of the girls but then I saw this shop and I was like 'Duh! Too neat to pass up!' And then I went inside and he gave me all sorts of fireworks like Ramen Candles and sea shells and tons of cool things!"

Pinkie bounced forward, nearly touching her nose to Rainbow Dash's as she stared intently into the light pegasus's eyes.

"Didja come to shoot fireworks with us? They're dangerous and fun! Sounds like a Dashie thing to do right? Ooo! You should set off a Sonic Rainboom while doing a Sonic Rainboom!" she laughed. "Can you imagine?!"

Thunder Storm looked at Rainbow dash, this time following what Pinkie Pie had said and issuing a challenge. Little did he know that this would have major effects. As 2 Rainbooms went off at once, their power combined, and the force created threw up a cloud of dust for a half-mile radius.

Guest EoLPinkie

Pinkie hadn't really thought that Thunder would act on her hypothetical situation. The moment he spoke his challenge, the pony knew Rainbow would accept. It WAS Rainbow Dash after all. For one of those rare moments Pinkie Pie sobered, sitting back to watch with anticipation and a bit of anxiety. Thunder Storm had made sure that she knew fireworks could be very dangerous, but Rainbow didn't have much experience with them either and hadn't had the lecture. She hoped the pegasus would be okay.

Thankfully her fears were unfounded, and her face split into a grin again at the amazing double Rainboom.

"That was... that was... I'm gonna have to make up a word for how super awesofantastidupermagical that was!" the pink pony cheered. "How did you make that firework anyway Thunderstorm?"

Thunder Storm realized he had a lot of explaining to do. Deciding to display his intellectual side, he said, "The firework's containing shell is made from cardboard and tape, adding resistance and thus amplifying the effect. As you know, the more resistance, the bigger the spread. The actual colors and explosions, however, are made from several materials. The materials for the Rainboom are black powder for propellant (a mixture of charcoal, potassium nitrate [KNO4], and sulfur [coal and S being fuel and KNO4 being the oxidizer]), Strontium Nitrate (Sr(NO3)2) for the red, Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) for orange, Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3) for yellow, Barium Chloride (BaCl2) for green, Copper (I) Oxide (Cu20) for blue, and a combination of th Sr and Cu componds for purple." He paused to look at Pinkie, who was apparently drinking it all in. "I put the stars," he said, pointing to one of the little clay balls, "which are these little things, in a ringlike pattern with each color going in a Rainboom-like fashion. I also added a tail made out of an Iron powder with Oxygen-based Carbon, or Fe+C, for a golden-yellow color."

Guest EoLPinkie

Pinkie listened intently, nodding every once and a while and giving appreciative "Oooh's" and "Aaaah's." When Thunder finished his explanation she gave a big smile.

"That sounds super smart and important!" she began. "But... I have no idea what any of those thingies are. Where did you find them all? Do you buy them at the store? Do you just mix them together and they make fireworks? I bet Rainbow could find them!" She skipped over to her speedy pegasus friend. "Wanna find fireworks stuff Rainbow? We could make a list of all the sciencey stuff Thunder Storm is talking about!"