The Adventures of Tintin Comics

Candlemare

(I say comics because the movie made me rage)

I'm just curious if any of you folks have ever read the Tintin comics? Even though the movie was awful, I was hoping it would least start to attract more interest in the comics.

More or less it's about a young man named Tintin and his adventures that take place around the globe. Truth be told I found the comics pretty uninteresting until Crab with the Golden Claws, which starts the introduction of more regular characters to the cast (Captain Haddock and then soon Calculus).

What really attracted me to this series is the fact that it's an epic friendship story and really funny as well. Castafiore Emeralds has to be my favorite of the books because it involves Captain Haddock hurting his ankle, thus being forced to stay at home when Bianca Castafiore (whom he can't stand) invites herself over to visit and presents him with the gift of an obnoxious parrot.

I really recommend them if you're looking for something new to read. Just a warning though: These comics started in the 30s and thus can come off a bit racist sometimes. DO NOT read Tintin in Congo until after you're done with the canon series because there's a chance you'll be so disgusted you won't read anything else of it. I only own it because I wanted a complete collection; after one read I never touched it again.

Haddock_seek.jpg

Tintin ! :D

My grandfather have all the comics ! We have a few of them around at home too. I used to read those when I was a little kid ; it's one of the series I want to buy once I get my own house. Lots of childhood memories.

Heh, in fact I want to read them once again now. It's a really pretty comic series.

Yeah, they're fun. When they're not about Belgian political in-jokes. I like Explorers on the Moon and the more adventure-y ones. I don't like the drug smuggler ones. And Crab with the Golden claws, which was the first one I read, actually bored me. Not sure why, but maybe I should give it another run. After all, I was pretty young when I read it.

Similar in style, if not sometimes tone is Jason (John Arne Sæterøy) who was influenced by Herge. You should check his work out.

mot5.jpg