Treasured Trinket: Friendship is Profit (closed)

Bramble Rose

The helping hoof from Bell Curve was met with a nod and brief thanks. Maximilian hoped that the Baron would buy the ruse, but he couldn't be sure. "Thanks again, you're really looking out for me today!"

Max sighed in relief as the restaurant finally came into view. It was a beautiful building, just another one of those that benefitted from the Rockefilly's restoration efforts, nothing looked out of place, and the renovations stayed true to the original Germane design.

The duo made their way to the balcony, letting Max appreciate the view below. The unicorn took his seat, still in awe. Taking a brief moment to compose himself, looked at his dear friend.

"I'll have the Sauerkraut, and a nice Germane beer as well."

Max reached into his pocket, checking on the paperweight, giving it a few experimental jostles. A grin appeared on his face again. With a bit of flair he took the duplicate out of his pocket and onto the table. "You sly dog!" Max laughed and his horn glowed as the fake was enveloped in light before disappearing. "I thought the fake would have done a bit better than that!"

His grin faded as he put both hooves in the table, using the time they had alone to its fullest.

"No more games, I'm a stallion that likes to cut to the chase. Cold, calculating, that's the best way to get business of this calibre done when the stakes are this high. Before I agree to anything I need to know each and every last detail about your plan. Where would we go, what would we need, and what would you do with this 'trinket' if you had the whole thing?

The Rockefilly steepled his hooves and leaned forward, showing that he was in control of this conversation. "I want to help you, but I never rush into anything. We're not foals anymore."

Bell Curve grinned proudly, as Max complimented him. Then the grin faded a bit. "Tell ze truth, Hy vould no haff realized if eet had no felt odd ven I juggled eet. Ve are too familiar vit ze real one. Hyu, and hy, ve know it too vell, no? Hyu haff gotten much better, mein friend, since last ve played! Hy zimply got lucky."

He took out the real paperweight, laid it on the table between them. Smiled to his old friend.

"Vell, mein friend, hyu are careful as always. Hy helped learn zat from hyu. But in zis case, I am no so sure vut ze plan is."

He sighed. "Hy must go to ze library. Hyu know ze librarians zere - ze respect I can demand from zem from mein title, und mein donations to ze library. Zere iz a map zere. Hy kin use zis half of ze trinket to find a general location for ze other half. But hy need to hire zum guards in case hy get attacked AGAIN. Hy haff ze money, hy vould like hyu to suggest an agency, though."

He gestured lightly. "After zat, hy need to play it by ear. Hy do no know vere ze other vun iz, so I kin no be sure vut ze plan is yet. Und I do no know where ze vault is yet, so hy kin no make zat plan yet. But zis is the idea - hy open ze vault, claim ze lost artifacts within. Ze accumulated respect und money from zese artifacts gain me an audience vit' ze princess. From zere, hy make, by right of blood, of inheritance, und by service to ze crowd, mein request for her to restore mein title."

He rubbed at his chin with one hoof, thinking. "Hy zink zat covers it, ya?"

Max listened closely, taking in every detail from his friend. The plan was sound, and while Maximilian was usually one to jump on a good opportunity he understood that this wasn't the sort of thing to rush. He was genuine, and the Rockefilly was quick to confirm that. "It sounds good, I like the general gist of it, and I'll be more than happy to find us a body guard or two."'

The unicorn wrung his hooves"This stallion is more than a match for anything that blasted Brazil or his lackeys can dish out!" There was a spark in his eyes as passion took over for a brief moment. The thrill of planning and executing master plans felt good, and Max hadn't felt it in far too long.

Composing himself, Max tapped the table. "Anyway, I know a good finding spell, so that won't be a problem. We'll have that artifact and your rightful title in no time, my friend!"

He sighed and slumped in his seat. "If only we could reason with Brazil, let him know what we're really after. I don't want to risk anypony getting hurt over this, I've hurt enough ponies in my lifetime. I don't need one of my decisions to ruin anypony else's life." Maximilian smiled weakly at Bell Curve. "Back in the day, I wouldn't have cared at all about collateral damage, just goes to show how you've changed me, old friend.

Max raises a hoof. "Those were the best years of my life, bar none, and I'm just glad I can help you out like you helped me back then. You really are my best friend, probably my only friend. Thank you.

Bell Curve snorted. "It vuld be nize if he vould listen to reason. But hyu know how bullies are. Zey prefer to zink vit' zeir hooves. All he cares about is hiz next adventure, und haffing fun, und getting ze praise for mein work. Ze concept of holding down a responsibility is strange to him."

He shrugs helplessly and sighs. "Und uf course, he is charismatic, so zey all fawn over him. All ve kin do iz to do ze best ve can."

Bell Curve was startled at Max's confession, and looked a bit uncomfortable. He wasn't used to such moments. "Is goot to haff friends, ya. Hy am verra glad to haff goot friend as you, too." He lifted his own hoof to clasp Max's, a smile on his face. "Ve do zis, ya. Adventure, hyu and me. Ve make money, ve get mein title back. Ve show zem ze power of friendship, ya?"

Max felt Bell's hoof grab his own and he gave it a firm shake, chuckling all the while. It was like old time, although instead of setting out for a day of play, the two were embarking on a grand adventure.

"We'll show them, alright!"

The Rockefilly let go, and as a waiter approached he ordered some drinks and the food, trying his hardest to remember any Germane he could. Struggling with the words, Max managed to order two potatoes and a plate of steel.

He coughed a few times and put his hoof to his mouth. "I think my germane is a little rusty..."

As he let the baron correct his mistakes, Max took the moment to write something on a napkin and pass it across. It was a rather large number, seven figures to be exact. Once Bell's attention returned, Max nonchalantly motioned towards the paper.

"I can spare this much at the moment, just tell me what you need and I can get it. Give me a few days and I can have my whole fortune at your disposal."

Bell Curve quickly corrected the order in good solid Germane - two plates of mushroom veggie bratwurst, side of saurkraut, and two house beers. The large cylindrical brass tanks next to the building showed the owner's love of microbrewing. "Eet vus close," he reassured Max. "But perhaps, hyu do no perform any business in Germane till hyu freshen up, haff some practice, ya?"

As he talked, he smiled warmly, glanced down at the napkin ... and froze, a stunned look on his face. He blinked, looked up at Max, then back down to the napkin. The most perplexed expression spread across his face.

And this was just the immediately available funds? With this sort of money, he could just *buy* his title back. He knew all the right hooves to grease, the right ponies to bribe ... it would be easy. And ... they would all know it. And would never respect him. No, he had to PROVE he was worthy. He had to show he was worthy. He would MAKE them respect him, no matter how grudgingly! He'd make them proud to march for him!

He firmed his jaw, and pushed the napkin back. "Mein friend," he said softly, gently. "Hy did no come here for hyu money." Ooo, but that was a very nice sum. Not that the Baron was poor - he had stashes of riches all over Equestria ... but ... "Hy come for hyu. Hyu are mein friend, und more - hyu are a shmott guy. Und hyu are wily. Hyu know how to haff fun, like ven ve on ze rooftops. Just hyu be careful not to do zat last bit if ve find ourzelves over a pit of shpikes, ya? Most importantly, hyu are mein friend, und ve always used to talk about haffing un adventure together, ya?"

Maximilian pulled the napkin back, quite surprised by his friend's response. Bell Curve wasn't a poor Stallion by any means, surely he could understand the importance of proper funding. Money made the world go round, and Max simply saw a problem waiting to be fixed, not a struggle of prestige and honor.

He stayed silent for a moment, and the baron filled the gap.

"Hy come for hyu. Hyu are mein friend, und more - hyu are a shmott guy. Und hyu are wily. Hyu know how to haff fun, like ven ve on ze rooftops. Just hyu be careful not to do zat last bit if ve find ourzelves over a pit of shpikes, ya? Most importantly, hyu are mein friend, und ve always used to talk about haffing un adventure together, ya?"

Max blinked a few times, unused to hearing such powerful words from the Baron. The Rockefilly couldn't hold back a chuckle. "Well, at least you'll be there to save me again if that happens." He smiled warmly and nodded.

"We did always want to go on a real adventure..."

Max extended a hoof, smirking with fire in his eyes."Bell Curve, I would be honored to accompany you on your journey as your associate, and your friend."

Once the ritual had taken place, Max leaned back in his chair. "Now that business is taken care off, we have the rest of the day to eat lunch and catch up after four years!"