[Canterlot] The Raven's Quill [Open]

SirShadowdeath

Flux listen with rapt attention to the stallion, almost squeaking with delight at his display of the ice-based abilities that his entire line apparently possessed. This was exactly what she had thought was the case with pegasi, as their magical potential was much easier to demonstrate, but having proof standing before her was still something that she could hardly believe. This could be it. The one peculiar case in pegasi genetics that you need. The exception to the rule, as such. She cleared her throat slightly, realizing that she probably wasn't giving off the best impression at that moment. "That is indeed quite a fascinating ability," she declared, reiterating her former speculation as fact. "One that certainly bears further examination, in my view." Then, the mare remembered she had not yet discovered the stallion's name.

"Ahh, but where are my manners? I am Quantum Flux. And you are?"

"I am Chillwind, son of Headwind and Breeze. I am the Chieftan of my Clan, one of the few left that still roam Equestria's wild places." he said, speaking as though reciting something of great importance. "The honor of our meeting is mine, and may blessings be upon you and yours, Miss Flux." he continued, bowing low and flaring his great wings out wide. He rose, his face again taking on its somber quality as opposed to the sudden surge of fierce pride that had just left it, and returned to the subject at hand. "My eldest son, Firebolt, is of your mind. His own talent he seeks better knowledge of, often from unicorns like yourself. He once told me that we will the air around us into submission and order it as we may. His talk was of invisible forces and magical laws, and I understood little. After all, what use do I have for the knowledge wizards keep in their scrolls, when I have honed my skill without it?" Chillwind paused for a moment, and watched Flux's expression carefully. "This is not to say that such knowledge does not have merit. I simply do not require it to live as I must."

Flux bowed in response, rather intimidated by the status of the stallion before her. She had read of the nomadic pegasi tribes in one of her old historical tomes, but she was unaware that such groups still existed in Equestria. She listened closely to his words, the excitement of this possible proof dulling slightly as new information and discussion came to light. "And I do not dispute such a philosophy," she agreed. "Knowledge that cannot be used is merely a fact gather dust, metaphorically speaking." The unicorn, for example, had very little knowledge of the exact workings of the pegasi weather systems, as it had no weight on the workings of her own life. Even her own knowledge of the arcane was rather lacking, as she did not posses the magical abilities for particularly complex spells. "Nevertheless, your son sounds like quite the interesting individual. Perhaps I will have the pleasure of meeting him someday."

"Miss Flux, your chances of doing so are high, for he has chosen to travel about on his own, seperate from our people, for the time being. As he has no foals or elderly to slow the beat of his wings, he covers far more ground than we do, and in a bit less time. I would be happen to give him your name and residence when I see him next. I doubt highly that he would put off seeking you out." Chillwind said, nodding as he spoke. He estimated that it would be roughly another week before he saw his eldest again, judging by the amount of time that had already passed since his last visit. Rainsong would be pleased. "Tell me, are you a native of Canterlot? My Mare was born and raised here, a daughter of the Chrysanthemum line. It is possible you may have heard of them, there are few families of pegasi blood among this city's nobility."

"That would be a lovely opportunity," the unicorn replied, covering her excitement with her mannerly tone. In truth, this may have been the most fruitful visit to a book retailer in her life. A possible breakthrough in the theory that had plagued her thoughts since her first meeting with the concept and a pleasant conversation to boot. However, the stallion continued with their discussion and it piqued a name in the mind of the mare. "Though I was born in Fillydelphia, my fillyhood and brief extent of my marehood have been spent in Canterlot. I do believe I have heard of Lady Chrysanthemum, though it must have been quite a while ago now. I'm not quite the social connoisseur that my family tends to rear. However, you are quite correct on the matter of pegasi; Canterlot is primarily a unicorn city after all."

Remembering suddenly that she was still carrying a stack of books with her magical energies, Flux voiced her intent to the stallion. "I nearly forgot, I should be purchasing these volumes. If you'll excuse me for a moment." With those words, Flux trotted over to the desk at which Inkblot sat writing away on his parchment. She placed them down with a slightly sound, ordering them neatly in a row for the pegasus to observe.

(OOC: Hey Shadow! Looks like the more isolated convo's over. And while you two are busy buying things...)

"But of course." Chillwind said, bowing his head slightly. While the mare went to purchase her books, he turned back to his task, and perused the volumes for anything related to his own ponies' history. While there was nothing directly pertaining to that subject in the historical texts, he did find a scroll that opened into a long Canterlot epic about the nomad pony Clans, written in the romantic style that Rainsong loved so dearly. It appeared that the epic focused mainly on their initial skirmishes with the followers of some sort of creature the writer only named "The PatchWork One", a being of immense magical power with demented ideals and disturbing magic. This would most certainly do as a gift for his Mare. One of his rare but vast smiles crossed his face then, as he thought about her reaction when he presented her with this poem. The day was looking up.

(OOC: Eeyup.)

Inkblot noticed the unicorn standing around the desk before him. In honesty, he had heard the entire conversation between the two ponies, but he figured it would be best not to say anything. He didn't want to be rude after all.

Before he said anything to the unicorn though, he took a quick gaze around the room. Then, like a brick, it hit him.

"Miss Flux, I don't mean to be a distraction...but I have no idea where Corvus...or your ferret have gone. Wasn't he...uh...on top of your book pile before?"

Inkblot gritted his teeth nervously.

Flux looked up from her neatly stacked books with a surprised "Huh?" She looked around her in a wide circle, finding no sign of her ferret or the raven. Her first instinct was worry. Smaller mammals didn't usually get along very well with large birds, and Tesla was sarcastic enough to be aggravating even to the tamest of avians. However, she also knew that Tesla could handle himself, after all he did so each night he went out into the trees beyond the clock tower. Still, she would need to find the ferret before leaving. "Not to worry, I believe you are right. Perhaps I should retrace my path; that should give us some clue to where they have gone." Stepping backward from her place in front of the desk, she began to follow her hoofsteps in reverse order.

Chillwind had just turned to purchase the scroll when he heard the shopkeep ask after Flux's ferret. His eyes flicked this way and that, searching for any sign of the small furry creature. His son Shadowmane had once kept a mink as a pet, but the animal had run away in the night and even Hawkeyes had see no sign of a trail. They were notoriously hard to keep track of. He scanned the floor and the shelves, looking for small trails that a long, tubular body would leave behind in the dust. He carefully stepped out of the way as Flux walked backwards towards him, and kept looking.

Inkblot was actually worried. Corvus was a very loyal pet, and though he might be feisty at times, he was never like this. The pegasus just didn't know what had triggered this odd behavior. Surely it couldn't have been the small ferret! Corvus usually got along fine with others...he did give him some strange looks though, an that was unusual as well. Inkblot joined the "search party".

"Miss Flux, I'm so sorry this happened...please forgive me, it was my fault completely. I hope that Corvus and your ferret are okay...."

Flux noticed Chillwind's movement and his searching eyes motions as she passed him. She inclined her head toward him slightly, giving her silent thanks for his willingness to help. The unicorn wasn't particularly surprised that Tesla had wandered off, as he was wont to do, but in time that he had chosen was the element that puzzled her. A nocturnal hunter like Tesla would have no reason to bother himself with much activity during hours of light. In Tesla's case, this was why he tended to be rather cranky and disagreeable whilst ponies went about their business. A ferret as lazy as Tesla would have a very good reason to subject himself to any sort of excessive movement.

She continued retracing her steps, glancing through the spaces in bookshelves to check for the brown body of her pet. The unicorn was so determined in her searching that she almost didn't hear Inkblot's words. "No need to ask forgiveness," she said immediately. "Nopony short of one bearing precognition could have anticipated such as thing. Do not blame yourself on this matter. The two are surely in no danger" Though she was reassuring Inkblot, the words her also directed at her growing concern about the events that had transpired. However, as she had no luck in the search so far, she called over to the two pegasi who searched in separate corner's of the bookshop. "Have you two discovered anything yet?"

Inkblot stopped, finally noticing a "clue" of sorts. It was a black feather, on the ground. Inkblot turned back, facing Flux and Chillwind.

"I found a...feather. This could be a clue!"

Inkblot looked back to the ground, and then he had an idea.

"That's it! I can be so stupid! This is a bookstore! Why don't I just look at a book about animal calling? Or animal communication? Or animal tracking?"