Ponies & Dragons - Episode 1: A Tail of Two Cities

Starburst

"It goes well. I have arranged lodgings for us with my order. It sounds as though you have learned some things of value from the new citizens. Did your research at the University raise any further questions we should put to them?" She nods toward the lines of former prisoners. "And where is Curtain Call, if I may ask?"

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'A murderer and a liar like the rest of the thieves guild'.

He was fine a moment ago. Just a little unsettled, but nothing serious. Then, the frogs accusations weighed him down worse than lead and his hooves dragged with each step. Each clop echoed in the dark and featureless hallway and the more he dwelt on the question 'Am I a murderer?', the more each step sounded instead like the bang of a judge's gavel. Oh, he was a liar. There was no contesting this. But could he justify each life he's taken to these scoundrels? Would he have to? How much did they know about him and his misdeeds? He grew more paranoid with each passed second, as the the door he came threw looked farther and farther away. Curtain Call considered running. Better to come out alive, right? His friends needed him alive, right? But could he justify an investigation turning up nothing out of cowardice, as they've worked just as hard as he, if not more?

For one shining moment, he thought of Ironmane, then steeled himself and pressed onward, despite the fact that this would be the second time today he might end up dead.

"I think I'll be fine."

The frog knocks on the door with a special knock, a small slide opens up, closes abruptly and the door hinges open, squeaking all the way due to the rust on the door. Inside is a large amount of tables and chairs, with a bunch of the seediest ponies and creatures you've ever seen sit at those tables, drinking themselves into a stupor, while some of them are being opportunistic and stealing from the pockets of the drunk. It isn't wise to show weakness in front of those kinds of people.

The guide who brought you here is no longer behind you, in fact. You begin to wonder if he was ever there in the first place.

He's said it before and he'll say it again. Nothing should be that quiet.

He could hear it: Creaky floors and squeeky doors, rustle and bustle and the clink of mug on mug. It was random and distracting to the audience. In other words, his kind of music. The lighting is lousy and stings the eyes if they're not pointing down into some hard cider. Perfect. He fixed what the frog had ruined, giving extra time and care to his make-up as per critique. A little loogie won't be bothering him now, he hoped, though tomorrow it may be time to invest in some oil based paints. 'So why don't we get things started? Ironmane and Bramble', Curtain Call thought before his opening act, 'This may be my most inspirational show to date. I hope you don't hear any bad reviews.'

Showtime.

With a shimmy in each step, another fresh match to chew on (the other became wet and gross so he spit it out) and a confidence that could only come from one hundred dress rehearsals, he hopped up to the bar, completely in character, ready to dig for information. Though, it did occur to him, that a clever pony would have alerted his friends to his whereabouts before trying something this suicidal. He was not a clever pony.

"Hey," he now she whistled, "barkeep. Cider. Pretty please?"

Bramble Rose gave a small shake of his head. "No, nothing new, not yet. My friend will be doing some research to see if he can't find anything for us. It'll run a lot faster than me trying to find it myself, let me tell you - if there's anything he doesn't know about magic, then it's only known by the Princesses." Bramble might have been exaggerating a little bit ... but only a little bit.

"As far as lodgings, though ... um ... that's very generous of you, but I think I might have mentioned my dam lives in this city? I think she'd be a little upset if I didn't stop by for a bit. And she'd also want me to stay for the night, I'm sure. Though I think she'd like to meet my friends, as well! Maybe I should have you and Curtain over for dinner?"

He frowned. "Though, um ... no, he wasn't with me. I guess he had his own ideas to follow? We wait here long enough, surely he'll come back. Or maybe we can leave a message for him?"

The bartender slides a Hard Cider down the long polished counter-top, and it slows to a stop right in front of you. From what you can tell he's a lot like your friend who brought you here. However, he has no hat, no staff, and is wearing a tie.. Which appears to be a clip on. He also has a thick bristly mustache.

He clears his throat, presses his hand to his chest, and says, "Alo. 'ow can I 'elp you todaaaaey?"

bartender_frog_by_jaelachan-d52bnb7.png

"Ah, your Dam, of course! I have always been detained or interrupted by other events when she has invited me previously. As a result the possibility slipped my mind completely. If you truly do not think she would mind, then I should like to seize this opportunity before something else comes up. Let us pick up our documentation and leave a message here for Curtain Call. You may wish to go ahead and speak to your dam about possible guests; if you like I will be happy to look for Curtain Call. I suspect he may have associations with the actor's guild."

And the frog said my disguise was bad. Oh well. No matter. After all, all the world's a stage and all the colts and fillies merely players. Besides, it has been ages since he did any joint improvisation. This should be fun!

His character, who he really should name, gave a cheerful whistle and some light applause at the barkeep's feat. Clearly he was skilled at his trade, be it tutoring spies or slinging the suds. More approval came in the form of a long drag of the cider. It was a fine brew! A refreshed sigh was proof of that, along with a very unladylike belch. He did find it ironic that whats-her-name has much less in the ways of manners than he. One more drag confirmed it: he would be coming back here for the drinks without a disguise on later.

"Friend, keep serving me these and ya helped more than ya know." She hiccuped, playing a bit more sloshed than he knew he was, which was not in the least. "But since ya mention it, I could use a bit in th' ways of inf'mation." Her voice was in a whisper now, aimed at the frog he was certain guided him here. Though he gave no hint to his suspicion. "Anything about a caravan ring any bells?"

Curtain Call found it comforting to be wearing another pony's face sometimes. It spawned much more courage than he could usually muster and that same cocky, buzzed smile never left the mare's face. She took one more swig once her flagon was renewed and reached into her pouch, slipping him a piece of Celestian gold and a wink instead.

"Seen any caravans? Once. I would like to see another one."

To remain in disguise and not once spit out a falsehood was, to Curtain Call, amazingly refreshing! If he wasn't undercover, he'd be leaping for joy. It was like earning his cutie mark all over again. So his confidence never wavered, nor did his character's (I really should name her, he thought) liquor fueled smile. In fact, she even let out a "Peeyoo", thanks to noxious frog breath. Did the smart ones eat flies too?

"I saw it- seriously, gross. Move. I saw it on the road to Canterlot. Some poor misguided ponies were heading that way too. To cause trouble, I bet."

On the word 'bet', she slid a second golden piece next to the first.

Bramble thought about IronMane's suggestion for a little bit. "Well," he finally said thoughtfully, "I'm not sure we should split up again. Imagine him coming back, finding you missing, and he heads off to find you ... so then you come back, find him missing, and then head off to find him ... why don't you come with me to check and see if my dam is free for dinner ... and if not, then we can make new plans, while we wait for Curtain to catch up."

He smiled up to Ironmane, waiting to see how she toook the idea.

Bramble gave a happy smile, then cracked his neck and straightened up. His face set itself into a mask of calm confidence and even a bit of haughty dismissal. The slightly ragged cloak he usually wore while travelling lifted up and wrapped around him, changing color and texture to become the large, tough, overlapping leaves of his magical leaf maille armor, but then changed again to fade into the purest of expensive white silk - a snug shirt with puffy sleeves, of the Canterlot noble style. He pulled out a brush and ran it through his lush silver mane, checking it in a mirror that he pulled seemingly from nowhere, then tucked both brush and mirror away again. "Excellent, dear lady. It would be my pleasure. Shall we?" The petite unicorn stallion, half Ironmane's size, offered her his hoof, a polite and courtly gesture - apparantly, going to visit his dam occassioned more of a need to make himself seem cultured than seeing the princesses ...

"Stolen? Not a thing! As a matter of fact", she interrupted herself with another drag, "Ah. Yummy. Anyway. As a matter of fact, a little group of misfits broke it up before grubby little hooves could swipe the goods! Nice of them." Now that he hears another voice say it, Curtain Call did feel pleased with his minor act of heroism. With any luck, he can continue with those. That is, if the frog would give him something more than questions. Casually, she pulled yet another Celestian piece out, spinning it on the counter out of both boredom and to continue hinting.

"Misfits. Or would you prefer the term 'mercenaries'? Soldiers of fortune? Heroes for hire? I could keep going. Look, the point is that a trio of ponies, varying in size and shape showed up to stop any wrong-doing. Details details blah blah."

This charade was becoming less fun by the minute. Did this frog genuinely know nothing or was Currain Call the easy mark? He had no idea and no real interest in riddling it out. He needed answers sooner instead of later. Charm wasn't working though! Neither was bribery, which is weird. Every soul he's ever met loves a good pay-off. Except Paladins. The lousy, uncompromising little...

Wait. Paladins. What would they- no, she do in this situation? Make demands in the name of her Lord, break a few noses and start arresting folks for disorderly conduct? No, not her. Ironmane isn't so brutish. She would try sincerity.

He was reminded of the ponies they saved today and the second chance at a normal life they received. Without that intervention, they would have continued down their destructive path brainwashed and beguiled by the Blackgaurd he hunted for. A life of crime is no life at all. From all this, Curtain Call found his words.

"Look, can it be my turn to ask a question now? Yeah? Awesome. Because that caravan attack was organized by one pony. I need to find out who. Can you tell me anything at all?"

(Edit: Home now. Post edited with fancy things.)

Curtain Call sat on his rickety bar stool for a minute or two, letting gravity gently take him for an uneventful spin, dumbfounded. Was he actually this stupid? Or was the cider stronger than he thought it was? No matter, though. He snapped out his stupor soon enough and was off in a full gallop back to Canterlot. He had news! He had a lead! And once he was in the clear, he had all that gunk off his face!

"I am just about to be brilliant!"

This was no time to celebrate. There was still much work to be done and Curtain Call should have been in full detective mode with nothing on his mind but the next lead. Yet he walked through the streets of Canterlot with a spring in his step and a song in his heart, letting himself take in the splendor of this gold and silver city. Did he deserve high spirits? Maybe. Actually, yes! 'I deserve to be happy today', he nearly thought aloud. 'Time to kick up my heels and celebrate! Once I find Itchy and Twitchy that is. Those two will be plenty thrilled when I give them the good ne-'

"Why hello, pretty lady! And what's your name?"

In his jubilation, Curtain Call decided to not really watch where he was going so fate decided to place him in the middle of the shopping district, in front of a nice little hat shop called 'The Dapper Topper'. In the window was a sweet looking little shopmare arranging a display of new releases. And in the display was an absolutely stunning charmer's chapeau! This fancy fedora, how dare it not be resting atop his noggin! Honestly, the nerve of some hats. Best he head on in before that silly girl makes a bigger fool of herself, he reasoned. Three silver pieces and some playful banter with the shopmare later, he left with a smile that said 'Look at me world! I have a new hat!'

"Satisfying", he sighed, now properly lidded. "Now where was I? Ah, yes. Itchy and Twitchy. Now where did they run off to?"

Just because the frog's clue resonated with him still, best to check where last he saw them. Not surprisingly, they weren't there. It was nice of them to leave a note, though. He suddenly felt like a father with his two foals past curfew. Curtain Call thought about it and considered using that joke on them later. In the meantime, there were some thoughtful directions to where they would be heading.

His mother's. Hoo boy.

The homes along the edge of the city's platform were among the most expensive homes in all of Canterlot - which made them some of the most expensive homes in the land. Over the centuries, the wealthiest ponies had bought up the homes along the edge, torn down the smaller, older homes to make grand estates, creating very mish-mashed neighborhoods of old, small, sometimes rundown estates and larger, expansive, newer estates - but all wealthy.

Though it was farther away from the university, and it was one of the smaller old houses, Silk Scroll's home was on the Western edge of the city, looking out into the setting sun. It was nicely kept, not as rundown as several of the other homes, and the landscaping was set to emphasize the older architecture. The building itself was three stories tall, with a tower reaching further up.

Bramble Rose led Ironmane into the estate with a nod towards one of the ponies working on the yard. He smiled as he came in, looking about, taking in a deep breath with his first step through the gate, letting it out slowly as he walked up the path. Home. "That tower up there," he pointed, "Is where mom and I used to do my homework. Well, there or out back. She's usually out back, let's check there first." He circled around the building, following a small cobblestone path, his hooves crunching lightly. His posture was casual, but very proper, and his expression had already returned to its bland, uninterested mask.

It was all for nothing - the back yard was empty of other ponies. A decorative pool, a fountain among the gardens, and plenty of room for a nice garden party. Bramble walked past all of it, ducked around a small garden shed, where there was barely room between the fence and the building, and revealed a small, private little reading nook. Enough cushions for two ponies, a low end table with a single rose atop it, and a telescope looked out over the road reaching off into the West. Bramble floated over the two books that were tucked away here, looked at them - Old West style romance novels - then chuckled and tucked them away again, safe from the elements. He turned then towards the fence, looking out over it to the road below.

He turned back to Ironmane, his voice gentle. "She's here a lot, you know. It's her safe place. It's where ... well. It's the one place she lets the mask down. Sometimes."

Archived