Ponies & Dragons - Episode 1: A Tail of Two Cities

Starburst

Bramble Rose's lavendar cheeks pinkened as he felt Ironmane brushing up alongside him. He'd originally intended to just leave as soon as he found this spot empty, but now he found himself lingering, silently wracking his mind for something appropriate to say. He'd worked with her a lot before... and it was hard not to feel something for the strong and powerful mare who'd saved his life more than he cared to think.

But what could he say? My dam likes to surruond herself with beautiful things. She's going to love meeting you. Goodness, no, that sounded like a horrible pickup line. Not as beautiful as you are? Oh, Tartarus no, that was way too forward! I designed the gardens myself. Would you like to walk through them a bit? Oh, goodness no. That sounded like it was boasting, and what if she laughed at him? He wasn't exactly a figure of stallionhood ... that is ... he hadn't ... grown all the way yet. He was still waiting for his late growth spurt...

"There's ... a lot of beautiful things around here," he finally said, awkwardly.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One hour and forty seven minutes.

That's how long it took Curtain Call to find stupid Bramble's stupid house. It should have taken him twenty. Or rather, that was the time quoted by several random passers-by when he asked them for directions. Thirty minutes according to the map of Canterlot he purchased from a nearby street vendor. Forty minutes of wandering later, it turns out the map was of celebrity's homes. "Really. Princess Celestia lives in the palace. Astounding deduction", he grumbled while putting the silly scrap paper to a better use: folded hat. Cartographer's Cat equipped and Fancy Fedora put in his bag for later (it was getting warm), he decided to take the easy way out and hail a Pegasus cab. The good news was that they were everywhere in the sky and it took no time to bring one down. More good news was he had never flown before! This should be fun, he thought while giving the address to the mare pulling the cart.

The bad news, "There is always bad news", was the mare being cross-eyed and stupid and in incredibly high spirits. She made it a point to take the scenic route, pointing out every bakery they passed. There were eleven. He also lost his Cartographer's Cap along the way. He's seen horseflies with better... everything. Steering. Acknowledgement of others in the sky. An idea of exactly how fast they were going.

By the time they landed, dusk was long gone and night was in full swing. Once his shaking hooves were finally on solid ground, he paid the mare's fee plus a generous tip just to get her out of his sight sooner. She was the bakery's problem now. May I never fly again, he wished.

"Scratch that, may I never fly with her again! She didn't even drop me off at the right place! Bramble Rose dresses like a hobo. Magician or otherwise, there is no way he can afford something like this."

Oh well, he thought, knocking on the front door and hoping for a sane pony to give him sane directions and call a sane cabby down.

Bramble flushed at Ironmane's teasing, and for a moment was speechless. When he managed to find his tongue again, it seemed to have lost any link to his brain. "I .. ah ... just ... meant ... yes, you're right! Not that you're not beautiful, cause you are, of course! But I didn't mean, um ... " Oh, ponyfeathers. "We should, um, see if we can find my dam!"

He backed out and hurried from the hidden spot, his face flaming with embarassment. And he was bucking himself for certain over bungling that one. Couldn't he have just said 'yes, yes it was'? horse apples, horse apples, horse apples. He was such an idiot.

He went circling round the house, to go in through the front door. He could have gone in through the back - either the parlor door or the garden door, or even the servent door, but the front hall was the finest impression of the house. He really should have shown it to her before he went out back. Argh! Why did he completely go to pieces like that, every time!?

Ironmane followed along, a discreet distance behind. She clipped the corner of the house as they left the hiding spot, making her stumble slightly. Poor Bramble Rose. He was so sweet. If he had only said 'yes it was', it would have been most charming.

Really, he was the kind any mare could fall for, and whoever that was would be a lucky one, but he desperately needed to discover that the bravery and confidence that let him dare so much on behalf of others could carry him through even that most deadly of battlefields--socializing and courtship. She said a quick prayer to Princess Platinum, asking that she help her friend realize the tremendous strength that lay within him. As if in a flash, an idea came as to how she herself could help him do just that, and she thanked the Princess for it.

Rounding the corner, she saw the Princess's guidance had also brought Curtain Call to them. She had worried that he would have disappeared, but his having sought them out had to be a sign that he sensed a better path for himself. She thanked the Princess again for being allowed to be part of so much potential change for the better, and said another silent prayer that she be allowed to continue this work, to be an instrument of good and continue to serve the Higher Powers so long as she was able.

So it was that Ironmane looked extremely content as the trio reunited, and inclined her head deeply in greeting to Curtain Call before taking a deep breath of night air and looking up at the glory of Luna's night. (The sharp-eyed Curtain Call might notice a spot on her armor where she swapped paint with the house--the house perhaps having come out on the worse side of that bargain).

Bramble's face lit up at seeing Curtain Call. "Ah, wonderful, you got Ironmane's message!" he drawled happily, the upper-class tone returning to his voice. His glamoured armor still looked like an upperclass puffed shirt, and his silken mane and lush coat was better groomed than Curtain had yet seen. He was partly glad to see Curtain just because it meant their team was back together and they could confer - but also, Curtain's presence could forstall any awkwardness about ... whatever it was that had just happened back there.

He stepped up to Curtain Call and touched his cheek to Curtain's in a rather upper-class manner, happily drawling, "Oh, I just know you'll *love* my dam's home, just *love* it. It's a classic structure, dates back to the first half-century of Canterlot. I was just showing our dear Ironmane the gardens out back. Rawther some of my finer garden-work, if I do say so." Why could he say that now, and not two minutes ago? It was the mask, he decided. The role his mother had trained him in demanded a certain element of bragging. "But let's not dawdle on the front step, do come in!"

Bramble led the two ponies on into the front hall - it stretched the whole length of the manor, and there was barely enough of the setting sun left to illuminate the stained glass window at the far side - illuminating a small crowd of unicorns with the rainbow of their joined magic causing the sun to set. Two stairways circled around the hall to either side, joining ultimately up at the third floor, the curve of the stairs framing the stained glass window. The settings of the hallway were expensive, but understated - old antiques, ancient tomes tucked away behind locked glass-doored bookshelves, and simple furniture made from exotic woods with unique colors. A less appraising eye would call the furnishings simple. A more skilled eye would recognize that this place was decorated so that only those of true class and knowledge would recognize its elegance.

This was the home of someone who cared only about impressing the *truly* upper class, and wanted everypony else to underestimate her.

Bramble took the entire furnishings as commonplace - as should be expected, seeing as he grew up amongst it. Rather, he turned with suppressed eagerness to see the expressions on the faces of his friends, wanting to see how they felt about it.

Something is amiss as you enter the foyer of the grand mansion. Where there would normally be some accompaniment of noise or presence that someone was there recently, there is none. Dust cakes the floors and furniture in thick layers, cobwebs lay at the corners of any two walls meeting each other. You can instantly tell that something in wrong. There are hoof-prints in the dust where a pony has walked recently, as well as something small that dragged itself across the floor to a certain point. This same pattern repeats itself twice at other places in the foyer. The maid obviously hasn't been doing her job. The place was an absolute mess. Two trails of Hoof-prints lead upstairs, towards the study on the second floor.

Bramble blinked and twisted back to look at the hall, staring in horror, jaw dropped and eyes wide, his pupils dialated. "Ah-buh ... buh-wuh ... ah-nuh ... "

It just didn't fit in his mind. How could this have happened? All the dust... the cobwebs... what had happened to his dam? How could it have been abandoned THIS LONG without him hearing about it?! And what made marks in the floor more recently? Was his dam all right?

The shocked look slowly wore off of his face, his teeth gritting and a great fury rising up in him. The puffed shirt twisted around him, the leaves of his magical armor sprouting from it and settling down over it till he was once again armored - but instead of the green leaves he usually showed, the armor was instead mottled orange and red from broad autumn leaves. "What. Happened. Here." he growled out, his voice tight with barely repressed anger.

Curtain Call felt no guilt for popping open the lock to the front door. In his eyes, it was a better display of manners than Bramble (if this is actually his house) not letting a friend inside who has been knocking in the dark for... oh, he was done counting minutes today. Besides, he damaged no property, relocked the door as he let himself in and, as an added bonus, he beat his old record of cracking a domestic lock. Twelve seconds!

He saw Ironmane on the way in and he couldn't help but reflect the warm smile she gave him. His Fancy Fedora was out instantly and for the lady, he tipped it as a gentlecolt should. To Bramble as well, once he recognized the... not-girl as Bramble. What on Equestria was he wearing? Nevermind. Questions later, tales of his discoveries now. At least, that was the plan, but he couldn't get a word in edge-wise over the little unicorn's ramblings. About what? Architecture?

"Bramble... Listen... Hey. Hey. Can I talk now. Yes, stained glass. Are we done? ...wait. Seriously. Hold on."

Curtain Call knew like the back of his hoof a thief's telltale signs. A sloppy job? Maybe. Poor housekeeping can't be avoided much.

"Everyone keep your voices down. Ironmane. Gaurd the door. Nopony gets in or out. Bramble, you're with me. Upstairs. Hidden. Make some light when I give the word."

Tactics and positioning just came pouring out of him and without a sound, he crept upstairs. He didn't even wait for his team to respond before melding in with the darkness.

Bramble nodded, agreeing to the plan and following after. His armor shifted at his next thought, and the angry reds and oranges faded away - the shape of the armor didn't change, but the color shifted to a wood-brown with a hint of golden orange, just like the wooden walls around him. His hoofsteps instantly went silent, and he narrowed his eyes. What could he do? Thorn Blossom was ever so far away, and he'd already spent so many spells today ... but what if his dam was in danger?

Quietly, he whispered through the words of a detect magic spell, sending out his senses to feel the world around him, trying to give them just the slightest bit more of a warning of possible threats...

No magic radiates throughout the duration of your spell. Whatever it is you're looking for isn't magical or has no magic items on its personage. The trail leads to the upstairs study, as opposed to one of the other trails you saw, these footsteps were clearly made by a pony of some sort. The door is slightly ajar. A light is lit, and it radiates through the crack in the door.

( A voice inside says, "Sweetie belle, you need to poooost in A dressmakers calliiiing." And its my voice. Because I'm impatient :| )

Ironmane nodded to Curtain Call and put her back to a wall by the door. The paladin stood stock-still, except for her head, which swung slowly back and forth, her amethyst eyes searching everywhere. She left the door open.

Princess Platinum, guard them. And if there is evil here, let us scour it from this place, branch and root, and make this home a place of beauty and hospitality as it is clearly meant to be. I humbly ask to be your instrument in this matter, if I am worthy.

(Totally making a listen and spot check, please. I'll take a 20 if I have enough time, otherwise a 10.)

A feeling of warmth rolls through Ironmane, and for a moment you can tell that Princess Platinum smiles upon you. You can hear little in the house but the "clip-clop" of a pony trying to be stealthy, some chitter-chatter between two other ponies about a plan, the words of a magical dweomer rolling over the house that you've heard few times before, and the pages of a book, turning consistently in the study, as if being read.

A long chair with its back facing the door sits inside a study with walls covered in dusty bookshelves. The page of a book can be heard turning consistently. The hearth in the study has long burned out, and little can be seen in its ashy grave but cinders that have long since lost their flame.

Looking right at Bramble, Curtain Call knocked on his own head thrice, right where a unicorn horn should be. "Please please please be ready with a spell. Any spell. I'm not picky", is what he was trying to say and hopefully that translated well.

Whatever was here, they were paying much more attention to their studies than the backstabber slinking his way past the door and behind the chair. They were such a terrible design, he thought. No peripheral vision. He held position once in the world's best blind spot and played the waiting game for a little while longer, letting his senses take in as much as they could before he delivered what could be an alpha strike.

(Stealth is +7 and Perception is +5. Seriously though, how many people get murdered because they were sitting in one of those chairs? :P)

The moment after you open the door and step into it the maid who was supposed to be cleaning the house cracks a heavy wooden chair across the back of your skull, your brain rattling around, bringing you close to unconsciousness before your senses revive and you gain a sense of composure.. The maid who attacked you looks quite ragged. She smells as if she hasn't bathed in days, her french maid's uniform looks dusty. Her eyes look soulless, and an eerie smile haunts her face. On the base of her neck is what looks like a tiny purple wart. And it's glowing.. and every few seconds it pulses, as if its taking a breath. From her eyes leak tears, and she mumbles words that are barely audible. Please... help.. help me... help... help us..

( Yes yes, its the person in the chair who gets it. :P )

Ironmane's head whipped around to face the source of the tremendous crack. She lifted one hoof off the floor, but remembered Curtain Call's orders and stood firm.

(I'd like to make a held action: if and when I hear Curtain Call or Bramble Rose shout, I'm charging up those stairs!)

"CURTAIN!" Bramble cries in near-panic, racing forward to throw his lithe lil' form up against the maid's, knowing that he might be infecting himself, but not able to think of anything else to do - none of the spells he has left will immobilize her! he doesn't expect to be able to pin her down by himself, but perhaps if he can just knock the chair from her hooves ... "Ironmane! Ironmane, help!"

Ironmane broke into a gallop, kicking backward in an attempt to close the door behind her as she raced up the stair toward the source of the call. She stumbled on the stairs, tearing the runner off in a cloud of dust, but recovered quickly. "Bramble Rose!"

(I'm attempting to charge right into that room)

Archived