Ponies & Dragons - Episode 1: A Tail of Two Cities

Starburst

(Author's note: Curtain Call quotes Shakespeare when his noggin is rattled.)

That cross-eyed Pegasus crashed his cab into a school house. That's the only explanation for his head ringing. But why is Bramble yelling? And what's all that racket? In a flash, it all came flooding back to him. He was at Bramble's house. There was a break-in. No, wait, that was him. Before that. There was dust. And he was heading into the study with his knife drawn. Then spots. Oh, most of them were clear by now and he saw Bramble's tiny body being used as a projectile against... He couldn't see. Darkness. Spots. A thunder that could only be Ironmane's hooves on hardwood came close, and quickly.

"I had rather have such ponies my friends than enemies", he mumbled. More spots cleared and he saw... purple. A purple glow he deemed unnatural. His first instinct was to cut it off. He ignored it. Was it because he could have been skewered instead of knocked silly with office furniture or was it because his friends were watching? Who knows. He opted instead for a simple unarmed hoof to the face. Let's see whoever this is sneak attack again with a broken bloody nose.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curtain Call's unarmed hoof to the face catches the maid in the face and blood splatters onto her cheeks, she doesn't go down however. Bramble Rose's struggling does little good, other than causing the chair to fall to the ground. Bramble can see the pulsing purple thing attached to the back of the neck of the maid. When Curtain call's hoof catches the maid in the face the purple slug-like thing on the back of her neck pulsing when it's "host" is hurt. Ironmane is able to charge up the stairs and down part of the hallway, but isn't able to make it to the Study in one round, Carpet slides as she corners the stairs, bunching up before she catches her second wind.

Bramble Rose felt a sigh of relief as he saw that hind-hoof strike out past his head, to hit the maid in the snout. Curtain was still up and kicking! But what should he do? What *could* he do, other than just lend his strength to trying to pin down the maid? At least she'd lost her makeshift weapon. He didn't want to hurt her too badly... but there was obviously something terribly wrong here...

He dropped away, stumbling around in the chaos of the sitting room, and cried out, "we'll help you, but first we have to stop you!" before lashing out with his hoof, trying to catch her in the ribs to blast her breath out of her.

( Kick: +0 1d4 +1d6 sneak attack nonlethal )

"You're the second unicorn I know who uses their body as a blunt object. Honestly. You're supposed to be the smart ones."

Finally his head was clear and cool, his eyes properly adjusted to the darkness. At least, he was feeling well enough to crack a wise comment. That and realize magic wasn't worth a hill of beans right now. Time to do things his way.

In his bag was a climber's kit he kept around for the occasional scaling of a castle wall. It held all sorts of nifty little gadgets meant to dig into wood or stone, not to mention a surplus of good and sturdy rope. He dug it out while Bramble was busy distracting the- maid, was it?- with his ragdoll impression. Using that opportunity, he grabbed the smaller mare and forced her down to the ground like some common thug, binding her four legs as best he could on such short notice. Curtain Call could only imagine how ugly this actually looked.

"Sweetheart, it's either this or I hit you again and I really don't feel like hitting you again! Please fight that thing!"

( I hate grapple rules. But my Str is -1 and my Dex is +3. )

Ironmane burst into the room, eyes wide and nostrils flared. Seeing her two friends piled on a pony disguised as maid and tying her up, she blew out through he nose and turned quickly to survey the rest of the room, her back to her friends, placing herself between them and any other lurking danger. "Curtain Call! Bramble Rose! Are you okay?"

Curtain wrestles the maid pony to the ground, and Bramble's kick easily penetrates the maids defenses, smashing into her side. Both Curtain Call and Bramble feel a foreign feeling in their minds, like someone is pushing through their brains and sifting through information, but as to where the feeling is coming from, they're unable to locate it.

The maid crumbles to the ground like a ragdoll as the purple slug drops off her, too weak from hunger to move.

"Out, damned spot! Out, I say!"

Violently, Curtain Call threw himself back once his mind registered the unsettling feeling of being unlocked. To both an actor and a thief, secrets are precious. Meanwhile this monster, this vile little probe has been given the chance to violate and pillage him. Curtains responded with terror and a bitter seething hatred, trying his very best not to skewer this abomination and roast it on a spit.

"Ironmane", he pleaded between gasps for air, "Kill it! Cage it! Something! Anything! Just keep it away from me!"

Selfishly he drew into himself, ignoring his team and the made and the knots he should have double checked. But for right now, nuts to them.

"I need five minutes or something. Seriously."

His paranoia was the one responsible for arming knife number two and keeping them both close. All the while, Curtain's eyes were locked on the yet insolvent mystery sitting on the lounge chair.

Dash blinks rapidly, feeling that squirmy touch through his brain, and mentally starts running through a number of his favorite and most catchy songs... the ones that stick in the mind and won't get out. o/~ We all live in a yellow airship dream! A yellow airship dream! A yellow airship dream! o/~

His first glance was up at the ceiling, making sure there weren't any crawling around up there, and as soon as he was satisfied there weren't, he immediately went to grab up a glass vase, emptying it thoughtlessly to the side, dumping out water and flowers onto the carpet, then scooping up the slug in the vase and propping it up on the table. o/~ Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, bananabell! Ding dong ding dong ding dong ding, bananabell! We play in choirs... around the fire! o/~ Then he immediately started turning around, staring at himself. "Ohmigosh," he gasped out, horrified. "Ironmane, check me, but don't touch me! Do I have one of them on me?!" His armor turned into glass, so that it wasn't blocking her view, and he lifted up his mane so she could see the back of his neck.

"Sweet merciful Celestia, she could kill us in an instant..."

Not often is a feeling of dread replaced by an even greater feeling of dread. Luckily, the prospect of getting one's face smashed to bits by a mind controlled Paladin an excellent source of inspiration.

Curtain Call saw, or rather, didn't see the effect this thing can have on a pony's vision. So, reason dictated taking as much "aim" out of the equation as possible.

"I'll buy you a new one" were his only words of warning to Bramble before yanking off his amazing multicolor dreamcoat and tossing all those square inches onto where the slow moving slug should be. Bless peripheral vision.

This is also the second time this evening where Curtains felt as if he was rudely forcing himself onto a filly. And he hasn't even had a special somepony yet.

Taking absolutely zero chances now, he tossed his entire body weight onto the cloak, stamping and stomping the fabric until he felt a crunch under his hooves.

Ironmane backs away from the slug and the frenetic slug-crushing action. "How repulsive!" Her voice is high, almost a squeal, and she rears up, forehooves punching at the air as she shies away. She comes down heavily and trots in a wide circle around the cape, eying it, to inspect first Bramble Rose and then the maid. (Making a Heal check, +3)

"Beware my friends," she says with a shudder. "I feel we are not alone in this room. I heard...pages turning." Her voice is very low and deadly serious, as though the sound of paper flliping might well herald the end of the world.

The maid is malnourished. It appears as though she hasn't eaten anything in days. You're surprised she's still alive in this state. You pour some cold water into her mouth from the bottom of a vase that you happened to find and she inhales deeply, coming to in almost an instant, inhaling the liquid deeply and absorbing it into her body. She's too weak to lift herself off of the rug in the study, but she eyeballs the purple slug with deep loathing and contempt.

As Curtain call pulls off Bramble's traveling cloak and lays it over the slug creature it settles around it in a dome-like barrier, resisting your attempt to smash it into a colorful ooze. The ooze lashes out with another mental attack, and tries to convince you that it's friendly, and that it only wanted to help the maid. ( Curtain call passed a Will save against a compulsory charm effect. You're free to roleplay this as you wish.)

Bramble reels at the realization that the slug is more than just an infection or a carrier ... that it might be a being. He's briefly horrified at all the possible ramifications, but it all circles around to ... he's up to his feet, addressing that dome under the cloak. "WHERE IS MY MOTHER?!"

Bramble glares at the bulge hiding the slug. He takes his cloak and sweeps it away from the slug, and as soon as he sees its' still there, he dramatically fastens the cloak around his neck once more, and the cloak disappears into armor once again. "Right. I need to talk to it. Curtain, tie my hooves. Then let it take my neck."

This day is going to be perfect, Curtain Call mused. Oh, he had a minor case of cold hooves but his Pa (who actually made it here on time) just gave him a friendly kick to the ribs and swore it happens to every stallion on the biggest day of his life.

"Take one look, in your case up (of course Pa would crack a joke at a time like this) into your mare's eyes and you'll forget any doubts you ever had. Besides, you don't want to embarrass your Pa in front of the whole troope, do ya?"

Every last seat on the groom's side was full, to Curtain's surprise. He had distinctly remembered every last member of his family's actors guild giving some nonsense excuse as to why they could not attend. The pack of cheaters, he thought with a smile. They all were the best family he could hope for.

"She's here! She's ready!"

Bramble Rose, the nervous little wreck, was in a full gallop to the pulpit by Curtains and his father. Who better than his old adventuring buddy to be his Best Colt? But why panic? This wasn't even his wedding. A hint of jealousy maybe. Bramble was still all smiles though.

With his announcement, the pianist and choir began Canon in D and the ceremony began. The guest ponies rose and Princess Platinum's royal order lead the procession. The Patron Saint of Unicorns would be in tears. Bramble certainly was, the old softy. Curtain Call choked his back upon seeing his bride trot up beside him. Ironmane was as beautiful now as she was the day he met her, though to be fair she was wearing enough sheet metal to build a train that day. Oh, she looked so bashful now, having told him the night before that this would be her first formal affair. A gown would not suit one of her stature, she insisted while beet red.

"Nonsense", he promised in response. "You'll have never been lovelier" and he repeated this to her now.

Finally, Triboniophorus Tryannus rose to the altar, nodding to the guests to be seated. The purple blob presiding said not a word to the bride and groom, which Curtain found odd. They were to be wed by another of Ironmane's order, no? Who was this? They?

He looked around. Tyrannus was everywhere. The guests were gone. Tryannus remained. His father was gone. Tryannus remained. Who was he even to marry? He couldnt remember the name. But this was a happy day. To join hooves with...

Join.

With.

Tryrannus.

"Get away!"

Reality snapped back violently. Despite what was supposed to be a victory in this mind game, it tasted like a bitter pill. The real world was cold and unforgiving. This monster meanwhile was showing him light and color and warmth and happiness. Everything he could ever want. But judging by the maid's lack of well being, these joys came at a price. No pony deserved this puppetry. Least of all his friends.

"Absolutely not! You, we have no idea what this will turn you into. We kill it now. Salt it. Burn it. I don't care. Just make it not alive anymore."

Quickly, he dumped from his bag a reasonable amount of his caltrops to halt its advance. A permanent solution (ie death) would have to come after he knew more about this creature.

Promptly afterwards, he undid the maid's bindings, whispering to her sincere apologies for his roughness in a soft voice as any gentle lot should. He then instructed her to not leave the protection of Ironmane's side.

(Since I just got touched in the head more than everyone but the help, I'm gonna ask to roll a knowledge check about this thing and hope for the best. Also, why did I write all that?)

Ironmane steps forward, placing herself between the trapped creature and Bramble Rose. "Curtain Call is right. This being is..." she narrows her eyes, focusing on it, opening herself to the wisdom of Princess Platinum, feeling that powerful spirit dwell within and spread through her own, lifting her like a glint of sunlight on the crest of a wave.

(using 'detect evil')

( A feeling of dread and hatred washes over you as you activate your ability. Akin to mindflayers and their ilk. Your senses scream for you to end this abomination before it controls you like it did the maid. If what you saw under the dome on the floor scared you, then what you sense on the other side of the chair is absolutely terrifying. )

( Bramble still not having any idea of 'on the other side of the chair ... )

Bramble's face went through a rictus of anger, fear, and pain ... and then he turned and stormed out into the hall, crossing it to the window on the far side. He threw it open and leaned out, crying out to the groundskeeper he'd greeted before, "YOU! Go for the city guard! Make sure they bring a cleric! Evil magic is afoot here!"

Archived