Ponies & Dragons - Episode 1: A Tail of Two Cities

Starburst

"There's no blasted time for this! My dear", he adressed the maid, "I'm sorry for dragging you back into this mess but I need your help. Direct me to the kitchen please. You have salt, yes? I'll be needing all of it."

Curtain Call was now in full worst-case-senario mode and checked the sharpness of both his blades before stepping out into the dark hallway, knowing full well he could be ambushed any moment by a yet indetermined number of extra parasites. Judging by how shaked up Ironmane was, he figured heading out alone (and functionally alone if he went with the maid) would be tantamount to suicide.

"I could use some light. And some back-up. Something."

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...a being of pure darkness." Ironmane finishes. She rears up over the dome, feeling the power of Princess Platinum blazing through her own spriit. "GET YE FROM THE SKIN OF THIS WORLD!" Her hooves crash down.

(Smite evilswift, sight, 2/day, no DR for target, +2 charisma bonus to attacks and AC, +4 paladin lvl to dmg)

This is the second time Ironmane has gone from gentle flower to unstoppable engine of destruction in ten seconds flat. At least in Curtain Call's eyes. She really needs to stop doing that. It conjures a strange mixture of both fear and admiration and... Other stuff. Other stuff he'll deny.

"Well then. Glad that's out of the way. I don't suppose you can do that again?"

Still keeping both blades close, he motioned to the chair that sat what apparently was wickedness incarnate.

"Ladies first."

Bramble turned to the Maid, quietly and quickly said to her, "Can you up? Can you flee? Get out of the house, wait outside for the guard. They should have clerics with them to heal your wounds ... tell them about the slug, and what happened here."

Then his eyes went back to what he finally saw - his two companions, approaching the chair with trepidation. His lips moved swiftly, whispering the words of a prayer to all of the powers of harmony - drawing in a sense of all his surroundings ... the unity of all things, the brief sense of feeling that connectedness of us all... unsure if that was a feel of discordance and unconnectedness in the chair up there, or if that was just his imagination ... and then his hoof brushed lightly across Curtain's flank, passing that sense of connectedness once more onto him.

( Guidance: +1 to next attack, save, or skill check )

Ironmane, head high, gaze imperious, steps around the chair. "If thou art troubled, reveal what plagues thou that we, thy humble friends, may salve thy woes. If thou art the author of this misery, or her agent, reveal thyself and prepare for an accounting!" At this last she steps fully into view of who or whatever may be in the chair.

In the chair is Brambles mother, however, instead of the slug you found on the maid, a much larger surprise awaits on her shoulder. A large glowing purple rat rests there, gorging itself on her thoughts. You can tell just by looking at it that its gotten very fat. Bramble's dam must be quite the intelligent unicorn lady, however, the rat takes less kindly to your presence, and hisses at you like its namesake. As it does so, a searing pain passes from the rats thoughts and pushes itself into Ironmane's. A thousand fires erupt in your head and searing pain courses through you. ( Six damage, failed will save. Feel free to roleplay the response. )

Ironmane shouts, a cry somewhere between anger and pain bursting from her, and she draws her head back violents as if stung. "Fiend!" she shouts. "Remove yourself from the mare at once!" She tries to focus her magic to lift the rat from the mare's shoulder.

As you both try to concentrate to attack the rat it hisses again, and the pain that Ironmane felt before is felt by Bramble as the Psion-rat slices into his mind to destroy his concentration. Suddenly Bramble feels naked without any defense from the rat-creature. Its mental attacks evade typical armor and slice into the unprotected mind. You understand that now as you feel this pain.

( 6 damage to Bramble, Failed will save. )

Bramble stumbled backwards, a hoof coming up to his head... a trail of blood seeped down from one of his ears, another from his nose, while his eyes squeeze tightly shut in pain. As his eyes open again, however, they don't show pain or fear, only an even larger anger. "Did you do this to my mother!? Did you batter her mind?!" He presses forward, a look of intense determination on his face. "Do you really think you can stop me, no matter how many times you strike at my mind, after you've done this to my MOTHER?!"

He let out a fierce grin, his own blood staining his teeth. "Surrendering now is your only chance to live. I'd prefer you NOT to surrender."

( unicorn headbutt. Dunno if that's the same as a normal headbutt. +0 to hit. and with a +6 will save, that rat is going to have a time of it making another successful attack. )

Is righteous fury what Curtain Call was feeling? He couldn't say. The facts were simple though: pain has been inflicted upon a mare he cares for. Make the responsible party suffer. In the midst of his bloodlust, Curtain Call failed to notice the Unicorn magic, his newfound blessing of insight or the otherwise gentle Bramble Rose's savagery. Were Curtain Call able to see more than his target, he would have probably commented on how too much time in the wilderness can be bad for a pony. Instead, "Speak, hooves, for me!" he cried and aimed his blade to take the vermin's head off.

( BAB +3, Dex +3, Guidance +1. That makes +7. I better hit. )

Ironmane concentrated, pushing through the spots dancing before her eyes, the dizziness, the weird images drifting through her head. A cathedral? The most beautiful dress? A spectacular garden with the cutest purple and red foals playing in it? She gritted her teeth, horn glowing silver, attempting to wrap her magic around the rat, to lift it up and away from Silk Scroll so her friends could deal with it.

Curtain calls attack proves to be the most effective, the force from his upward stab combined with the pulling from Ironmane's magic quickly deposed the rat from the back of Silk Scroll. It tumbles away and is bleeding profusely onto the floor of the study, glowing purple ooze leaking out onto the expensive carpets. Silk scroll quickly comes out of her trance, though she's only slightly better off than the maid. Most likely because she had some form of latent psionic abilities for the creature to feed from so that it didn't exhaust her energy as it did with the maid.

The rat tumbles away onto the carpet and hisses again, its mental attacks no longer hold the fortitude and strength that they had prior, and it feebly lashes out at Curtain call with its mental wave of pain. However, the staunch power of Curtain Call's Iron will pushes the creatures probe away with the wall its predecessor created earlier. Only a twinge of power makes it through before Curtain shuts his mind to the intrusion. ( 2 damage, successful will save. )

Bramble attempts to skewer the rat with the tip of his horn but misses, catching nothing but air as the rat flies by.

(Yet.)

This creature, whatever it is, doesn't have his minion's subtleties, Curtain Call noticed. There was no bait or a promise of a better life. Instead, just every nerve ending on fire for the briefest of moments until Curtain Call simply demanded it be over. If only all his problems could be solved by simple force of will.

"Getting knived is bad for the concentration, is it? Pity."

There's no law against killing bizarre psychic monsters, is there? No possible way for Curtain Call's law abiding friends to object to what could be described as cruelty? This creature wasn't equine, wasn't productive and probably wasn't loved. Even by its little monster babies. Let's hope not, Curtain Call thought as a mad grin stretched across his face, because this next one is going to hurt.

Maybe it was the chair, or the psychic invasion or the wishes of agony, but he was having a bad night. Time to take it out on someone. Down came his blade into the thing's gut. Slowly. He made sure to twist it on the way in.

(+6, from those various sources I have. Does this count as a Coup de Grace? I hope so. I like saying that out loud. )

Archived