Ponies & Dragons - Episode 1: A Tail of Two Cities

Starburst

( Here's a question! That temple to Discord. Describe that to me. I have a slight inkling that it could be, more or less, a den of thieves. My future actions depend on this info!)

The temple of discord is widely varying. There are much more than the ponies you'd expect. Discord is a Deity of Chaos, not one of Evil, and as long as one exhibits mannerisms of chaos they're welcome in his temples. Common street thieves do tend to gather there, but other races do tend to congregate as well. Bat ponies avoid the place like the plague, as they respect the law of a fair proportioned sword or armor than the chaos of the winds when firing a bow and arrow. The Mecha-ponies do frequent the place though, and often enough the clerics at either the Temple of Discord or the Temple of Celestia end up mending their shattered bones after a fall from their sky-city.

There are quite a few of them nursing injuries whilst waiting to meet a cleric at the moment. One already has their arm and hoof set in a sling, the metal wings on their her back bent in jagged angles with sparking wires that would commonly indicate some sort of "pilot error". Apparently being a Mecha-pony has a high mortality rate. You wouldn't know for a race that lives their lives in the sky depending on machines to move them around. They use "fail-safes" for their machines, but for some odd reason they don't seem to activate as often as they should..

Less common but also present at the temple today are the Slaadi. Which are frog-men who wear hats and sometimes robes that walk upon their rear legs. They revere the Deity of Chaos as well. They are known to have similar ideas as far as chaos is concerned. Their hierarchy is complex because it's based upon the tenets of chaos, and it changes often, members of a higher station being involved in some type of "accident" and others rising naturally to take their place. The life expectancy of a Slaad aren't normally that high, but they're less likely to assassinate anyone. They tend to play cruel tricks on one another often enough. While they aren't the type to normally kill someone they are rather unstable. But that's chaos for you.

Slaadi Magi Photograph: MagicFrogsmall.png

Seen even less than the Slaadi in the temple are the Dark Ponies. They openly revere Chaos as their motivator in life, tend to lean towards assassinating their superiors to usurp their stations, and are prone to ambition and sedition amongst themselves and others. While being intelligent and magically gifted themselves they tend to sequester themselves from regular pony society and are hardly ever seen. Not much is known about where their colonies are located, but it's well known that they revere Luna or Discord and shun Celestia's Sunny days. If you came out at night time you might catch a Dark Pony here, but in the sunlight their vision is stunted, much like the Bat Ponies.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In the front of the temple near statue and the collection box one of the Friars of Platinum wears his white robes proudly and kindly thanks you for your donation to the cause.

As you enter the temple there are a number of sick or bedridden ponies being sequestered onto benches or in rooms meant to house the sick or disabled. Many cots are set up and most of them are filled, a good sign that there isn't as much sickness here, most likely due to the number of supporters of the clergy and their magic. Canterlot is a city of cities, and there's more than enough magic to go around.

On a small rise there are seats set up and a small altar is set in the flagstones of the marble, where a Cleric of the Order of Platinum is recanting the story of how the three of the founders of Equestria banished the Wendigo from their land and established the cities where each of the Deities preferred to live.

Almost to the end of the story itself, he tells the story of the leaders and how they chose to establish their people.

With the mannerisms of a practiced orator, he recants the end of his story.

"The Earth ponies preferred to till the land and nourish themselves with its bounty, so Chancellor Puddinghead chose to erect Ponyville in a place where they could maintain with a little hard work the land and live from the fruits of the land when one of the ponies in his herd discovered a magical fruit that blossomed into trees in a night after a thunderstorm. The Earth ponies there continue to revere nature by respecting its Flora and Fauna even to this day."

"Commander Hurricane chose to live in the clouds where they erected their city from cloud-stuff, modifying it to suit their ever-changing whims, while keeping watch over the Unicorns and earth ponies to provide them with nourishing rainwater for their elixirs, crops, and orchards. It's thought that the Thunderstorm that caused the Trees to blossom in Ponyville was initially caused by the first pegasi to manipulate the weather."

"Princess Platinum and her people dedicated themselves to the study of beauty and magic, and chose to build their city into the side of a mountain, creating winding paths and beautiful architecture in its sides. Eventually she created the Order of Platinum, and enforced peace and harmony throughout the land. Openly engaging with Ponyville in trade and protecting their neighbors by keeping evil creatures away from their civilized lands and orchards."

After finishing the story he closes his book, and the children who were listening to the story gallop away, playing in the Temple courtyards.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ironmane waits for the story to end, and watches the colts race off with a smile. I remember when I galloped everywhere like that, she thinks. She approaches the cleric. "Hail and well met, friend. I am Ironmane of Fort Shieldheart, Paladin of the Order of Platinum. I am in Canterlot on the Princesses' business and seek quarters for myself and companions, and to offer what aid I might to the Grand Temple."

(( By the way, Starburst - how much money did we get from completing this job? ))

Bramble nodded to his friends as they scattered to find information as well as they each could, then turned and set his hooves on the road again. His first stop was to the edge of town, to allow Thorn Blossom to run into the woods where she would be much more comfortable - while the city of Canterlot might barely look askance at a thorn wolf, the university had a more dangerous element than fear for his friend - curiosity. The one time he'd brought Thorn Blossom home to meet his mother, the curious scholars of the university had gathered around her, each with their own ideas of tests to run. It'd been everything Bramble could do to keep her calm, until he could get her away by saying he had to 'take her for her walkies.'

As soon as she was out of sight amongst the trees, he turned, smiled to the guards and said hi to Gleaming Steel, exchanged a few pleasantries with his old acquaintance, then begged forgiveness to go follow his responsibilities, and followed the familiar streets towards the university where he'd grown up. Ah, the cafe was doing nicely - he'd never seen it so busy. They'd set up some outside tables, too! He'd have to stop and see if their clover sandwiches were as good as he remembered. What?! The book store had closed? How was that even possible? Oh, he saw - the sign said they'd moved to a new location closer to the campus. Good for them!

He parked his cart in his family's back yard, then walked the last few streets to the university. The shining white buildings of academia, all around the central ivory tower, swelled his heart with a feeling of homecoming. The sensation that here - here was the active and living accumulation of all the knowledge of Equestria thrilled through him with possibiltiies, and all the younger colts and fillies walking around between buildings reminded him of his own school days. He stepped aside to let a small herd of very attractive fillies past, as he considered his first step, only admiring them a little. His dam would be teaching a class just now - so he turned instead towards the magical theory department - a good place to start. He wondered which of his old profs would be available...

(( I was trying to prompt that to happen when handing out the scripts - when everypony scattered, I kinda hoped it would be considered 'to have happened'. Otherwise I'd have stopped off there before leaving. Is there a specific bit of RP you wanted to have happen there?))

(( So we can skip that, right? Imma skip that. If I shouldn't skip that, Imma edit ma post. Kay? Here I go. ))

Curtain Call read in an old Alchemist's journal (don't ask how he got it) that there is actually a wide variety of metals out there, each of which with it's own unique properties. Some of which are subtle and can only be observed under very special conditions. Certainly not with the naked eye. He went on to read that one of the more important traits each metal has is its weight, which is as unique as a hoof-crafted snowflake. To Curtain Call, that means gold and its heft is hard to fake. Oh, some ponies have tried to pull a fast one, paying him with plated counterfeits and similar nonsense and as a younger colt, he's fallen for it. A lot. He's older now, experienced, and is hoodwinked near never thanks to the familiar drag in his sacks once they're full of gold. It's the weight that, ironically, takes a load off his shoulders. Get it? Yeah, nopony ever laughs when Curtain Call tells that joke.

The Unicorn who payed him for his services to Filt certainly didn't. Rats. But oh well. He felt out of place in a bank during normal business hours anyway. He had his money. He had his special paperwork giving him, astoundingly, full access to the city. While the future is always uncertain, he did consider down the line forging copies for a quick bit, just in case. He toyed with these ideas only briefly as there was still more job to do, and he had hunches to follow.

Rumor mills, rather than simply asking directions, made finding his next stop quicker: the nearby temple of Discord, God of shenanigans. He's been to a small few in his life time, more with his parents than by his lonesome. All times were uncomfortable to him. They were loud, often times with a fowl odor and there is so much trouble to be found, whether or not you're looking for it. He can remember being dragged into fights over spilled cider. Curtain Call wasn't that bad, was he? There's 'chaos' and then there's outright lunacy, he would rationalize, and one day vowed to never show his face in such places again. It's a good thing he has a disguise kit.

His mane and tail he dyed a dark charcoal grey, giving them a mare's styling and showing off his curls more. His coat he dyed some flavor of orange he didn't know the name of but does see all the time in the wick of a dying lantern. Details came next. He added eyelashes, bright yellow contacts, a cutie mark of a glowing lantern (which was an image stuck in his head at the moment) and a match stick to chew on for a final touch. He added a slight skip to his steps as he finally made his way to the doors of the temple, giving them a knock and calling out in one of many well rehearsed voices.

"Helloooooooo? Anypony home?"

What could only be considered a small toad standing on its hind legs opens the door quickly and hooks his staff around Curtain Call's hoof, pulling him inside rather abruptly before closing the temple doors behind him. The toad exhibits otherworldly strength in pulling you inside, and after he unhooks his staff from your leg he bops you gently on the head.

"Be Qviet! Pveople inside are reading und.. uzzer tzings.. Vat do you vant? Scheigelbarben? Gudenfragen? Vinderschloozen? Vauschweiss? eh? Speak up! You're mumbling!" he says, his words and accent blending together to create a rather unintelligible string of words. He quickly bops you gently again and hooks the staff around Curtain call's neck, pulling him down to eye level with the toads face. "Vait und second.. " he says, readjusting his glasses. "You aren't from around here are you.."

He unhooks his staff and lets you stand back up. "Did you need somezing?" he says, in a somewhat slower fashion.

"Ow! Ow again! Geez, Frog! Lay off! I'm sorry I'm sorry!"

Once the throbbing in his/her noggin stopped, Curtains did respectfully lower his voice. Gratefully, he got to his hooves, showing no signs of shock from the creature he's seen maybe... once? When he was much younger, also in a temple to Discord. He remembered his head hurting then too.

"And no, I ain't from around here. Ponyville. Well, just outside. I'm looking for work. The kind that... pays higher than average for one night. If you catch my meaning."

The Frog looks at you disdainfully. "I have no verk for someone so vet behind zeir ears." he says, quite matter-of-factly. "Come back ven you have more experience. Your mannerisms scream to me, zey say, "Birfrons, I am a no talent pickpocket. Please teach me everyzing I vant to know."

"Vell I von't. Your progress vill mean more if you learn yourself."

Now now Curtains, he thought to himself. This is not the time to get a big head and start puffing out the chest.

"Birfrons, was it? I am no two-bit hood! I'm telling you right now that I know exactly. What. I'm. Doing. You want somepony with experience? You're looking at her! Now I'll ask you again. Can you help me find a job?"

The use of the other set of pronouns used to get to him. Not anymore. By now, he's used to dressing as a mare, which disturbs him a little more. His own personal comfort aside, he was hoping this would be an easier nut to crack. Oh well. This frog wants experience? Fine. He leaned down, closer, and spoke in a whisper.

"I heard word of a caravan robbery or two. Well, I want in."

The frog makes a sound, like air being blown through a pair of closed lips.

"Your posture is all wrong." He says, bumping the bottom of Curtain Call's chin upwards and hooking the rounded end of his staff around his neck, straightening it.

"A mare walks differently than a stallion. You betray yourself vith your movemenz." Birfrons also spits on your flank and rubs away the dye there.

"It doesn't look like you've let ze dye set properly. A light drizzle vould ruin your disguise." Birfrons shakes his head.

"You're also qvite careless. Someone has managed to steal your purze." He says, dangling a drawstring pouch in front of Curtain call on the end of his staff.

"Clearly you have much to learn, "fraulein".. But zis is no thieves guild. And ve are not thieves. If you are looking for zat place, I vill take you zere for a price."

Birfrons removes a few coins from the pouch, closes the string and places it back into Curtain Call's hooves.

"You must follow me, da?" he says, Tapping Curtain call on the rump with the long staff.

Bramble Rose stepped through the halls of the University slowly. First he checked the Dean's office - but to no avail. No worry, Bramble had never known the Dean very well, and he had expected the Dean to be busy. Professor Elegance was also not in her office, nor was Professor Hazel Gleam. They would have been helpful, but their offices were just on their way to ... ah, good. There he was. Old Professor Erudition, who taught Bramble for basic magical theory and Advanced Ley Lines and Auras.

He opened the door and stepped inside, with a cursory knock. The grey-maned old professor looked up and scowled darkly, not a trace of canterlot or university accent in his voice. "Rose, you little teacher's pet! You're not in my classes anymore! You don't need to come kiss up and flirt to get a good grade!"

Bramble drew himself up indignantly. "Listen, you senile old fart! Even if I was a filly, there's no way I could stomach flirting with an ugly old gargoyle like you, not for a full scholarship ending in a tenured position!"

"Like you'd ever get tenure, you second-rate philosophy hack! You don't have the patience to do real research!"

"You only think that cause you're so brittle you'd break a leg if you took three steps off the university property!"

Professor Erudition stormed forward, and caught up Bramble in a hug. The old stallion had been practically an uncle to Bramble, growing up, and they'd taken to sniping at each other in class so no one would suspect any preferential treatment. Then they'd never stopped. "Bramble, how's it going?"

Bramble grinned and hugged Erudition back. "Hey there, Hoss!" he said happily, using his sire's nickname for the old pony. "Really well, thank you! I'm actually on a quest given me by the Princesses!"

Erudition stepped back with a surprised look. "You don't say! Not bad, colt! Then what are you doing here?"

Bramble smirked. "Research, as usual. We're after a unicorn who can phase through solid objects - we need a way to hold him."

Curtain Call needed a moment to pick his jaw up from off the floor. This has been the first time somebody has... schooled him? Yes, that's a proper term for what just happened. He had a brief but sudden urge to drop his thieves tools, pick up a hoe and start an honest life farming for the rest of his days. Plant broccoli maybe. But that's crazy talk.

He leaned in closer, this time letting his actual voice out, making certain to cover his flank. He was still undercover.

"Okay. Fine. I'm an amateur. I get it. But yes, I do need to get to 'that place'. And, if it's alright with you, I'd rather not divulge why."

He followed the frog, as instructed. Better that than his flank smacked again. Still, one more thing bothered him and he was embarrassed to mention it. Mainly an issue with pride.

"While you're at it, I don't suppose you have any other pointers..."

"I've helped you all zat I can vith your disguise. You must not be hasty, a disguise ist und time consuming procedure, you get in vat you put out vith von." He says, leading the way, the pads of his frog-limbs lifting and pressing against the ground with no noise at all.

-*-*-*-*-*-

The professor asks you to describe the effect that you saw in detail, to determine if he could glean information about either the motions used in the casting of the spell to trigger the magic or the verbiage of the words that he used to summon the magic itself, other than the effects of the spell of course. He has a good idea what the spell might have been, but he needs time to procure the right books to figure out how the casting was varied from the traditional normal casting of the spell. It's clear to him that the spell was modified somewhat from its original casting.

The prisoners are with the scribe, heading out to learn their assigned trades from there. Each has been assigned to someone in Canterlot, and each will be given food and board for as long as they apprentice themselves. If you wanted to speak to them once more now would be the time to do so. They're probably going to get much busier once they start working and learning their craft.

It had just occurred to Curtain Call. He's been far too trusting so far, especially with a new associate whose people are known for their extra special backstabbing ways. Oh, it's true that someone much more ruthless could have simply murdered him and left his body in a ditch after seeing through a(n apparently) hastily made disguise. Instead, constructive criticism? These days have been chock full of surprises so far. While following, he did make an attempt or two at readjusting his cloak to hide the erasures. Not to mention trying to keep his steps as quiet as the frog's. Nothing should be that quiet. He was toggling between jealousy and the heeby-jeebies.

He made it a point to be back in character as he followed. Why? Paranoia again. He did have every intention of getting what intel he could before heading back to his party mates. No point in staring into the abyss for too long.

"So... where are we going exactly? Should I be worried?"

Bramble Rose smiled and nodded, thanking his old friend. "I knew I could count on you, Hoss," he said happily. "I've got a lot on my schedule just now, but I'll try to drop by again later to catch up, all right?" He smiled and gave a wave of his hoof, and the two exchanged some brief pleasantries, but they were both eager to get to their roles - they loved what they did.

The trip back was faster, mainly because Pegasus-cabs were so common at the university. Bramble tossed the driver a tip, as he hopped out at the palace, and made a few discrete inquiries about the new citizens before finding himself at the scribe. He smiled, to see Ironmane, and trotted on up to her. "Hi there! So I've got someone looking into the 'holding' problem ... he'll have something for us 'soon'." He lifted both forehooves to make quote-gestures on that one. "How'd things go for you?"

"Not unless you are und murderer and und liar. Zat would make you like most of ze thieves guild, and is the most likely thing zat would get you killed zere. However, if you are looking for und information about something, zey will probably tell you about it for a price."

Archived