An Awkwardly Accidental Holiday - Starscape Quill, Ember Heart [OPEN]

MyriadDreaming

Ember Heart impatiently waited for Starscape’s answer. He was starting to panic. He could feel it. Everything he had been taught was completely void in this situation. ‘Run! Whatever direction; it won’t matter whether or not you are injured in a fall if you are eaten by a hydra anyway.’ The thoughts just kept pushing their way into his head. He took a deep breath, trying to calm his mind in the process. ‘No, we are going to do this the right way. I am getting both of these ponies back to Fillydelphia in one piece!’

He felt a tap on his shoulder from behind. "We are almost out of time. If we stay here much longer, we are gonna be hydra food." Silverbolt said.

Ember Heart was about to respond when Starscape spoke up, "Yes, I can. Ah..." The mare looked up into the starry sky. He looked up as well hoping to see what she would. "North is... um, that way. Thank Celestia it's a clear night." He clearly just wasn’t seeing those random lights the same way she was. Nevertheless, he was thankful that she was able to navigate from just that information. The mare pointed slightly off to the left from where they were. "We should head that way to Fillydelphia!" Ember Heart took a few short steps towards the tree line where she was pointing. "Ah, I think we should run. I'm not sure, but I think I can hear it coming."

“Alright! Let’s mo-.“ Ember Heart was cut off by a unicorn that charged through the clearing near them. "You guys should run, really." the unicorn managed to get out before disappearing in the trees towards the trail.

“Move now! Silverbolt, you lead. Keep pace and watch your step. Follow that unicorn!” Ember Heart ordered. The crashing sound of falling trees was almost right on top of them now. It was time to go.

Silverbolt nodded and said, "You don't have to tell me twice!". Taking the point, he galloped in the same direction the unicorn had gone. The sound of falling trees had reached a deafening level as a head shot through the canopy behind them and roared angrily.

Starscape jumped about three feet into the air when the unicorn rushed past and galloped off, and she winced at the pain as her wings opened themselves. Landing back down, she looked as Silverbolt galloped off and then jumped again at the roar behind them, galloping after the departing unicorn. She chanced a glance behind her to make sure Ember was following.

The unicorn ducked and weaved through the trees, slowly approaching the trail. Looking behind himself, the unicorn saw two others, another one close behind, chasing after him. Quickly, he saw the trail ahead, and was about to follow it when a thought hit him.

I can't go into town with all those ponies! Hope those others don't just go down the trail... Then, the skinny, not so athletic pony jumped onto the trail, and quickly fumbled, legs buckling. No!!! I knew I should have taken those exercise classes! Grunting, he heard the roar and jumped, crashing down and twisting a hoof. Hissing with held-back pain, the unicorn tried to get up, but just lay back down at the fire that coursed through him. Get it together, Ink Soul!

A gasp escaped from Ember Heart as he watched the figure ahead of the three ponies go down in what had to be a painful stumble. He quickly slowed to a stop as they reached the downed unicorn. A deafening roar came from behind followed by the sound of more falling trees. “No, no, no, no!” There was no hiding the panic in his voice. He quickly looked over the unicorn hoping that he wasn’t severely injured. What were they going to do if the unicorn was down for the count? Do they make a stand and hope to hold here? No, they would be munched. All that training was going to be for nothing! ‘No, we are all going to get out of this in one piece! Somehow...'

Ember Heart shook his head to clear his thoughts. “Come on, buddy, we need to go!” He looked over at Starscape and Silverbolt hoping that one of them had some form of a plan. “I…” He let out a frustrated sigh. “I don’t what to do.”

Things just keep getting better and better, Silverbolt thought as the unicorn took a nasty tumble. They had stopped again to check on the unicorn and Ember Heart was at a loss for ideas as he stared at Silverbolt. Silverbolt replied, "I'll carry him. You take the lantern and lead the way.". He handed over the lantern as Silverbolt picked up the downed unicorn and placed him on his back, before galloping off again, panting with the extra load on his back. He was cradling the injured unicorn with his wings to prevent him from falling off.

Starscape skidded to a halt near the black unicorn and Silverbolt as Ember got to them and she shuffled her hooves anxiously. She couldn't carry him. She could barely carry herself with how her legs were feeling, never mind another pony. She breathed a sigh of relief as Silverbolt picked up the fallen unicorn and held them on his back. She closed her eyes for a second as the rumbling and crashing behind them got louder and then opened them in shock, fighting back terrified tears. This was supposed to be a holiday, where had it all gone wrong?

"Uhm, we should go. I think it's close." Starscape said, trembling. "I-" She noticed Silverbolt had galloped off, paused for a second and then followed, trying to make sure Ember kept with her, running through the trees. They had to be close to Fillydelphia soon, right?

Though would everypony appreciate a hydra being led there? Uh oh.

• 2 weeks later...

Ink Soul cringed, and looked at Silver with a pleading look. Please don't lead that thing into town! He opened his mouth, but it felt sticky and dry like honey. He knew he hadn't been feeling well lately, but this wasn't the time for his illness to kick in! The black unicorn tugged himself to a sitting position on Silverbolt's back and lay there, hoping some saliva would cool his throat, which now burned with the combination of shaking and the acidic feeling as sickness started to pull food out of his stomach. Suddenly, Ink Soul thought of something. With great effort, Ink drew a small bottle from his book bag with his magic and drank a little bit. The sticky, burning feeling numbed and he was able to get something out, though hoarse.

"Don't...lure...the hydra...into...town..." One of the affects of the drink was sleep that would help with the pain, and Ink's black head lay on Silver's

Ember Heart was impressed by Silverbolt's quick thinking. Now it was his turn. Unfortunately he was still at a loss for ideas. The injured unicorn was only going to slow them down even further and with the hydra hot on their trail they had to do something quick. Maybe lead it back for the REA to deal with? It was a simple enough solution for him.

"Don't..." A hoarse voice came from behind. It wasn't Starscape or Silverbolt's. It must have been from the injured unicorn. "...lure...the hydra...into...town..." he finished before going silent.

Ember Heart hadn't really thought about the damage that a hydra could do to the town before the REA would be able to step in. It wouldn't be right for them to pass their problem on some some other innocent ponies just so they could save themselves. What were they supposed to do? The hydra might overtake them if they don't figure something out soon. They needed something that the hydra couldn't pass over. What though? "He's right! We can't just lead it into the town. We need to lose it somewhere. Near the river delta maybe?"

• 3 weeks later...

(Sorry for the delay, got writer's block and then I got overloaded with RP's)

Silverbolt stopped galloping as he heard the unicorn on his back speak and he facehoofed. "I'm an idiot! I can't lead that hydra to the town!", he exclaimed. The hydra was almost on top of them and with an injured pegasus unable to fly and distract it; the situation felt hopeless.

He had an idea! "let me secure him to my back with high strength fishing line and fly into town and get him help and alert the guards before coming back here! I guess you guys keep it occupied while I get him to safety!", he said with a grin. Reaching into his saddlebag, he pulled the fishing line out before seeing it's thickness and putting it back, opting to secure the injured unicorn with rope. Having secured the unicorn to his back, Silverbolt flared his wings outward and said, "Get, (uurrgh) ready to distract him!". With great effort, he jumped straight up into a vertical takeoff, slowly ascending out of the canopy and into the air.

• 3 weeks later...

((OoC: Sorry about vanishing, Started back at work doing ridiculous hours, and barely had time enough to chill and eat dinner, never mind roleplay.))

Starscape watched Silverbolt speak and then listened to Ember. All the while she was shuffling her feet and fighting the panic that was threatening to overwhelm her. "Y-yes, but... Can we keep th-this up?" She asked. "H-how far is it?" She looked about as the crashing of the hydra grew closer and closed her eyes, trying to stay calm. As Silverbolt flew up into the air, another thought crashed into the calmness she had fought to maintain. She still couldn't fly. What if it got her?

She swallowed and shut her eyes tighter, waiting for the signal to come to start running. That was all they could do right now, right? Just run. "C-come on S-Starscape, j-just a little l-longer." She whispered to herself. "Just r-run for a b-bit l-longer."

• 3 months later...

"Get, (uurrgh) ready to distract him!" Silverbolt said. With a great effort, the pegasus managed to get airborne.

[colour=purple]"Distract him?"[/colour] Ember Heart shouted with a sense of disbelief. A deafening crack startled him as the hydra came into view. The enormous beast had its yellow reptilian eyes set on every member of the party. Four heads scanned over the ponies before setting their sights on Silverbolt who was slowly gaining altitude. The beast let out a bellowing roar before charging at the helpless airborne pony.

Ember Heart was quick to react, using his magic to toss a small stone at the creature. The attack was meant to be more of a taunting annoyance than a damaging blow. The stone struck the crest on one of the larger heads. It harmlessly bounced off of the scaled monster but it served its purpose. All four heads now turned towards the young black pelted unicorn allowing for Silverbolt to safely make his escape with the injured Ink Soul on his back. Ember Heart took a couple of tentative steps back as all eight of the yellow eyes were set on him. [colour=purple]"That's right you foul smelling beast! I hope that wasn't your best!"[/colour] his hallow words had the smallest hint of fear strewn through them as he made his stand. He wasn’t known for his bravado and the small trembling sensation in his legs didn’t do much to hide it. The Hydra cocked one of its heads, amused by the puny pony’s antics.

The beast raised all four heads high up into the air, allowing the moonlight shimmering off of its dark green scales, and with one powerful motion, all of them shot down at Ember Heart unleashing a loud roar. The unicorn stumbled back at sheer force of the monsters cry. Saliva and other debris flew out of each mouth, coating Ember Heart and the ground around him. He opened his eyes locking his gaze on the heads that were once again high up in the air. [colour=purple]"Oh my…"[/colour] he said trying not to sound shaken; a small catch in his throat proved how terrified he really was. The hydra reared back for another lunge. [colour=purple]"Starescape, run!"[/colour] shouted the unicorn as he turned and started galloping as fast as his legs could carry him. The hydra lunged, striking the ground directly behind him. The force of the impact sent him stumbling forward which caused him to lose his balance. He skidded through the dirt before rolling out of his fall.[colour=purple] "Go! Go! Go!"[/colour] he commanded as the hydra continued his chase.

• 2 weeks later...

Starscape watched Silverbolt fly away with the injured pony on his back and breathed a sigh of relief that at least the hurt unicorn would be safe. Now it was just - oh dear. She couldn't believe Ember - he was either extremely brave or very stupid, and she was going to buy him the biggest cake she could if -when- they got out of this situation and wow that was a humongous hydra. And it was angry at them. [colour=#008080]"Oh no, no no no...."[/colour] She mumbled under her breath, terrified.

[colour=#800080]"Starescape, run!" [/colour]

Starscape needed little prompting to bolt and was already running by the time Ember shouted to her. She skidded through the undergrowth, stark terror lending her hooves speed. How long she could keep this up, she didn't know, running had never been much of her thing, but if she stopped... The roars of the beast behind her were growing louder by the second as the hydra, no doubt annoyed by the flight of its prey, gained on them. She jumped a small river and kept going, scrambling up the other side, cursing her damaged wing. [colour=#008080]"Come on, Ember! We've got to f-find some way to l-lose it!"[/colour] She shouted at the unicorn in front of her. [colour=#008080]"I c-can't keep this u-up!"[/colour]

Jumping another stream, she slid down the bank on the other side and kept on galloping, hoping he could come up with something. She didn't know anything about Hydras. Why was one even here? All she wanted was to stargaze.