[Canterlot] Tinkertown They Call It

Teh_Brawler

Mitsaragi stood there, staring at the unicorn that had just fainted on the pathwalk. The book continued to float in midair, still suspended by the magic that held it. A nervous tick developed in his eye out of frustration. He really didn't have time to deal with this, after all. He had research to do, legal cases to learn.

But Mitsaragi knew that leaving the pony unattended would be irresponsible. He sighed for the third time in the last five minutes, and began cleaning up the mess. He used his magic to put all the books, papers, and supplies back in the bag, and slung it back over the unicorn's back. He then cast a spell to lift the colt on his back.

As the spell ceased, Mitsaragi wheezed out of shock. This unicorn was heavy, and his thin build wasn't meant to carry too heavy of loads. He began to walk forward slowly, but didn't get far before falling to the ground out of exhaustion. He laid there, panting, and thinking of how to handle the current situation. Spying an inn nearby, he figured staying in a room until the colt awakened would be best. Using magic to decrease the pony's wait (though not enough to make the task easy), he stood up again and slowly pushed forward toward the inn.

Upon entering, he fell to the ground, unsure if he would be able to move again. As he laid there, the innkeeper, a middle-aged earth stallion, walked up to him and stared down for a few seconds.

"...You know a bed would be more comfortable."

Mitsaragi looked up, startled by the presence of the stallion, and tried to regain his composure as quickly as possible. He stood up, smoothed his main, and gain a look of somber confidence again, though he was still breathing pretty heavily.

"Um, *huff* yes, though its, *huff* not for me, *huff* this pony passed out *huff* and I feel he'd be *huff* better off in a room *huff* until he awakens."

"Ah, yes. Well, I have a few open, though I'll have to ask for a cover charge of 30 gold pieces."

"That'll *huff* be fine."

The innkeeper nodded, and picked up the fainted unicorn, carrying him up the stairs. Mitsaragi followed, still panting. He noticed that the innkeeper had no trouble carrying the colt, and felt slightly indignant that an old pony was outdoing him in a simple task of carrying a pony, but he said nothing. As they reached the room, the innkeeper opened the door, and walked in. He moved toward the bed, and set down the fainted colt on it. "You ought to stay here until he wakes. Don't worry about paying until you leave," he commented to Mitsaragi, and left. Mitsaragi looked at the colt for a few seconds, and walked over to the couch, taking a seat on it, and closing his eyes. He began to wait for the colt to awaken, but hoped that he could rest for a few moments.

As his eyes opened, Klank noticed a major change of surroundings from when he was last conscious and this made him jump a bit. The young colt had never seen this location or its architecture before, leaving him in a sense of danger. Before he could lift himself out of bed, he received a very sudden and painful jolt of pain from his head. He reached his hoove up to check what had caused this pain only to find some very recent, dried blood on the side. "Ugh...what happened?" He wheezed as he held his head some more, trying to put some pressure on the apparent wound. It was at this point that he noticed the colt from earlier laying on the couch nearby. "Hey, didn't you try to stop me for something...earlier?" He said with a pause toward the end, his memory was severely affected by the impact, only bits and pieces could be recalled on his own will. "Did...we meet earlier...?" he whispered, unsure of what was fact or fantasy at the moment, or if the colt was even awake to hear him blabbering to himself.

The Inn Keeper's assistant, an unnamed colt, knocked on the door to the room, merely stating that she had brought a damp towel for the "curly" colt, and that the Inn Keeper had sent it up as a kindness. Klank caught on fairly quickly and struggled his way off the bed, his sense of balance was off whack, it was as if he had suffered a sudden, forceful shove with ever other step. Finally reaching the door, Klank managed to compose himself long enough to open and thank the assistant for their kind service, putting on a fake smile and gladly accepting the warm, damp towel to ease his pain and clean his wound, which had been temporarily covered by his mane. He plopped his butt into a sitting position next to the bed and began to gently caress the wound with the towel, applying pressure as well. He gasped in pain a few times, leaving him in a cringing position with each pass of the towel. During the later part of the procedure, he tried to draw his attention to the colt that he assumed had brought him here, running through multiple scenarios in his head in the process.

(OOC: I'm going to assume some time has passed)

Mitsaragi snored loudly on the couch. As it turns out, he had fallen asleep while waiting. He was currently in a hooves-up position, his mane sprawled over the cushions. He would kick occasionally as if from a dream, but he mostly stayed still save for the exaggerated movements his mouth made.

(OOC: You are correct. It wouldn't make much sense otherwise, would it?)

Klank sighed, he wasn't sure if this colt was the aggressive or friendly type, one thing he was sure of though was that he had brought him here. He winced in pain from his head injury, which he had wrapped the damp towel around before sighing. Staring at the colt for another moment, Klank finally got up the courage to try and communicate with them. He slowly tip-hooved over and gently poked the side of the colt but to no avail, he spoke in hopes of getting his attention shortly after. "Uhm...Hello? Did you bring me here?" He whispered into their ear, but it seemed fruitless yet again. He snorted in displeasure, raising his hoove up again but giving him a quick jab in his side rather than a small poke. This colt was out like a light at the moment and nothing seemed to be able to wake him. He drew in a deep breath before letting out a neigh of frustration.

Mistaragi sat up suddenly, awakened by a neighing. He looked around, unsure of what happened. Wiping his eyes of sleep, and fixing his hair, he began to get off the sofa, and found himself face-to-face with the unicorn he had brought here. He paused with a shocked look on his face, unsure of what to do in the situation.

"...hello."

An awkward smile creeped across Klank's face as he stood with his face to the colt. He cleared his throat and reiterated what he had just asked before the colt was fully awake. "Hello. Did you happen to bring me here?" Klank wasn't sure how to approach this awkward situation as it was developing in such an unusual and unexpected way.

(OOC: Hard to respond with not much to go off of. xD)

(OOC: Sorry. It was one of those situations that I was looking for a specific response [which you provided perfectly])

Mitsaragi didn't move, perturbed by the situation that had just occurred. Suddenly, his senses came to, and he cleared his throat, shaking off the shock. "Eherm, yes, well, you passed out, and I just needed to make sure you were ok." He once again regained his composure, and took on an air of confidence. "Responsible ponies don't just leave people lying in the street, after all." He looked out the window, and noticed that it was late in the afternoon. He then turned back towards the brown colt, and added, "I tried to stop you before because you dropped a book when you, erm, ran into me. I put it in your bag with all your other things." He motioned towards the brown sack next to the bed.

"Anyways, is that bump alright?"

Klank's eyebrow shifted to give off a looking of puzzlement, he had not taken a book with him from his trip to the library earlier that day, how would one have wound up with him. Bringing himself back to the situation at hand, he decided to respond the question set forth for him. "Oh, it's...painful, as you would expect. The assistant of the inn keeper brought up a damp towel just a moment ago just for it." As he finished he sentence he suffered from a headache, obviously he was in a more serious condition than just a simple bump on the head, which wouldn't have lasted as long as this particular one had been going on for. "Do you ever have one of those headaches that feels like a glass shard is being pushed into your skull while it's being pressed in from all sides? That's what I feel like right now...ow." He stumbled to his knees with his head tilted down in an attempt to keep himself from falling over. He thought of something a bit less drastic for the situation at hand, something to help them be a little more friendly to each other. "Mah' name's Klank, how do you do? May I have your name?" He said from his current position, trying to look more in control than normal.

(So sorry, thought it was your turn)

Mitsaragi gained a mildly concerned look on his face. "You might want to rest a bit longer. A headache like that could mean a concussion." He then rushed over as the pony took a tumble, trying to help him up. "I'm going to insist that you stay here for a bit, just to make sure you don't keel over on the way home." After the pony had stood up, he introduced himself as Klank, and asked for Mitsaragi's name. Mitsaragi turned away, and looked out the window, seeming distracted. He then turned back, and replied, "My name is Mitsaragi Gavel. I'm a law student at the Canterlot School of Law, and I'm studying to become a legal prosecutor." Suddenly, he remembered that the book that Klank had dropped was about a court case. "I imagine you have some interest in law?" he piqued, unable to restrain his curiosity about the situation.

"Not so much the law as I do in mechanics and why they are so restricted." Klank stated before realizing something was funny about the question he was asked. "What made you think I was interested in law to begin with, surely there was a reason for it?" He tugged gently on the towel wrapped around his head using his minimal knowledge of magic, securing it once more in place. Klank had been interested in law at one point, but certain factors caused it to merely be a phase in his life and not pursue it as a goal. He sighed after realizing this, deciding to lay down with his leg spread on the ground in frustration. This was not how he had expected his day to start off with.

Mitsaragi did a small double take at the denial. He had expected Klank to be at least somewhat into law, based on that book. He looked away and exhaled through his nose out of disappointment. Any reasoning behind getting this pony's attention had been lost. He turned back with a slight look of disgruntlement, and replied, "Ah, well, the book you dropped was about a copyright infringement case some years back in Canterlot. I figured that you were reading about the case, which meant that you had to be interested in it at some level." He then walked back to the couch and sat down, trying his hardest not to let his disappointment get the best of him.

"Well, if you're doing better, I guess there's no reason to keep staying here."

Klank took notice of the colt's disappoint and added to what he said earlier, "I didn't mean it like that, I just was never any good at law, I let my personal feelings affect true judgment. I do have an interest, but not as a career goal." He stuttered with a hint of confidence. This colt had done him a kindness by helping him recuperate from the mess that had happened earlier, the least he could do is be thankful and give him something in exchange for his deed.\. He clopped over and rustled through his bag to find a 'whirligig' as he called them, one of the many small contraptions he kept around in his bag for fun. A smile spread across his face when he found what looked like a strange curved pipe with a comparatively normal metal clip at the end of it. He dropped it on the side table next to the colt with a gentle clack. "It's a book lighter I made from scrap. It may not look pretty, but it beats reading in the dark." He wasn't sure how to thank the colt other than giving him something that could help him study law.

Mitsaragi glanced at the contraption put in front of him. He wasn't sure what to make of the situation, let alone the piece of metal. He wasn't sure why the pony was showing him the machine, and, quite frankly, he was frustrated at the lack of work he had done, so any level of logic about relations had gone out the window.

"Ah, um, that's very nice. Did you make it yourself?" He picked it up with his magic and rotated it, looking at all the angles, more so out of politeness than actual interest.

"Uhm, yes, yes I did." Klank said with a cheery clop. He felt that he was developing a relationship, albeit slim, with the other colt. "I don't use it often enough, it's lightweight and great for reading in the dark without keeping others awake." He laughed softly before continuing on with his explanation, "It's a thank you gift for you, it's the least I can think of at this moment for helping me. Say, where in Canterlot do you live? I don't recall seeing you around here before." He clopped at the floor a bit with excitement, throwing the question away and stating something more, "I have been studying how to make a functional 'microscope', it's rather complicated but if I read the reports right, they use it, amongst other devices, for crime investigation in the West. It seems really interesting, no?"

• 2 weeks later...

[sorry for putting this off]

Mitsaragi was surprised by the revelation that this was a gift, and paused, unsure of how to handle the situation. He slowly put it away, and gave a nervous smile. "Um, why, thank you."

Upon hearing the next question, Mistaragi calmed down, thankful to have a topic more comfortable to talk about. "Ah, well, I actually live at the Canterlot School of Law. I come into town to purchase necessities and to get some fresh air from time to time, but most of my activities occur within the school." He brushed at his mane, and listened to Klank as the mechanic talked about a microscope. Mitsaragi was familiar with the instrument before, of course, but he shrugged at the question. "Well, that's not really up my alley. The investigative processes behind law are best left to the enforcement. I just take what they use and apply it to court cases."

"Wouldn't that leave the process slightly flawed? What if they gave you inaccurate information? Ho boy, if I had a carrot for every time somepony put the wrong instructions in a schematic, I would be one plump colt." He laughed a little, as could clearly be noticed, it was fairly easy for him to cheer up, no matter how awkward it seemed or why it occurred. After calming down and catching his breath Klank decided to tell him a bit more why he was in the library that morning. "Sorry I got so excited there, ponies don't normally ask if I made my trinkets or not. But, the reason I was in the library, honestly, was so I could try and find the name of that one pony who created the "Tower of Thunder" that was...err, is called a ponytale. You wouldn't happen to know it would you?"

[OOC]