It all started in a little Café in Stalliongrad ... [OPEN]

OCC: Twimsy and I are RPing our new characters meeting. Anypony is welcome to join, as long as it fits with the story. Forum rules apply, and no 18+ content please. RP starts below.

Bon-Bon_at_a_cafe.png

Being a newspony is no easy task. All day, all night, working to make sure your readers will be satisfied. I'm Newsworthy, rising star in the reporting world, and owner of the independent newspaper Equestria Express, published in the little hamlet of Ponyville twice a week.

Traveling around Equestria searching for the latest scoop can get very frustrating, especially when you have a scheduled interview moved from noon to early evening. To pass the time, I decided to look for a place to get a bite of lunch. I'm in the Learning District, so there are quite a few art galleries and shops around, and it looks as if the population is primarily students.

A small cafe catches my eye, with a little wooden signpost above the door, saying "Cider Cellar."

My taste for cider is never quenched, and I am quite the connoisseur of the different brands around Equestria. Nevertheless, I've never heard of this one. My curiosity piqued, I enter the small shop.

The place is small, only enough room for about 10 ponies at most. It looks like a few local gossips are chatting it up at the bar, while the barista polishes the dessert case. Another stallion, looking to be quite up in years, is sitting at the largest table by himself, sipping a cider and reading a newspaper.

The only pony that really catches my eye is a slender brown mare sitting off by herself in a corner of the room. She appears to be lost in thought.

It was beginnings that always confounded her. She could handle middles and endings - oh, could she handle endings. Lately they seemed to be of the tragic sort, much to her chagrin. Writing about pirates, though, one was bound to run into a bit of hardship. Heh. Hardship. That had to be a pun, somewhere.

The pegasus took another small sip of her cider, flicking her head to the side to dismiss the obtrusion of her lengthy, cyan bangs. She tapped the quill gently against the sheaves of parchment in front of her, intent on concentrating, although it wasn't long before inspiration denied her and she found her eyes wandering over the dimly lit cafe. A couple of regulars, nothing much to observe...although, that new guy seemed to be givin' her a look. She nearly double-took, squinting a calculating, orange-hued gaze through thick spectacles at the other pegasus.

"...Can I help you?"

"Not with the problems I've been having, I'm afraid. But since you asked, I'm trying to get the scoop on the big play going on over at the Stalliongrad School of the Arts. The director said she could meet me at noon, but had 'business of vital importance to the world of art' to attend to, and can't meet me till later. Do you happen to know anypony involved with the production?"

"A reporter, then?" Her ears had perked a bit at the mention of the School of the Arts in that cold, snowy city. "It somehow does not surprise me - no doubt the mare had a burst of inspiration, which is a fickle thing in the first place - but, at least she agreed to meet with you at all, yes?" She stared off at the wall behind the stallion, as if contemplating something. "...I wrote a small play for them some time back. Terrible little mishmash of comedy skits. It was absolute trite, really, although they seemed to enjoy it. I don't usually keep much constant contact with any of the cast or crew, however."

"Ah. Well that's no trouble, no trouble at all. And, to answer your first inquiry, yes, I write and publish a small gazette in Ponyville." He looked down at the parchment she was writing. "So you're a playwright? I'm sure that there's much to inspire you in this city. I love coming here, such a diverse culture."

The mare gave a small nod, "Ponyville? That's quite a long distance away. I assume your traveling takes you to all sorts of places, mm?" Her eyes flickered briefly to the parchment, to which she cleared her throat and flipped it over. Celestia forbid anyone ever even so much as gander at her work. "I do freelance playwrighting. It's not...really what I want to do for the rest of my life, but it gets me by. But, you are right. This is a veritable melting pot of a city." She finally managed to offer a bit of a genuine smile to him, "And where are my manners - I am Persnickety. Might I ask your name, Mister Traveling Reporter?"

He let out a hearty laugh. "Never been called that one before. Rather like the sound of it, much better than being called 'gutter press' and worse. My name's Newsworthy, and I am most pleased to make your acquaintance, Madame Persnickety."

Seeing that Persnickety's glass of cider was about to run dry, he remarked, "Let me see what I can do about that empty mug."

The stallion trotted over to the bar. The pair of chattering mares stopped and looked him over from head to hoof, sizing him up. One appeared interested, and gave him a coy glance. The other looked positively miffed that their conversation had been interrupted, and turned her nose up in disgust. The barista looked at him quizzically, and said with a strong mountain accent, "What can I do you for?"

"Two large mugs of your finest cider, if you would be so kind," he said.

Now it was the barista's turn to size up the light blue stallion. "That's an awful lot of cider for a little filly like yourself. You're not about to go hittin' on that mare Persnickety, are ya?" The two gossips giggled.

Newsworthy was quite peeved at the mare's insults, but tried to keep his cool. He drew himself up to his full height (barely up to the barista's nose) and replied calmly, "My friend, that is none of your concern. But when I see a fellow Equestrian in need, I see it as my duty to help them. That fine mare is in need of cider, and I intend to purchase some, if my money is any good here." He slammed four bits down and looked across the bar defiantly.

The barista snorted in amusement. " 'Fine' mare, y'say? Ah knew it, y'do have an eye on 'er." Before he could reply, she leaned across the bar and whispered, "But don't be fooled by 'er looks, what little she's got. She's dirt poor, and all she ever does is come in here an' scribble on her scrolls. An' by Celestia's mane, I've never seen a mare so unsure of 'erself. Take my advice. Get your cider and get out of here. You city slickers don't want nothing to do with her kind."

He was taken aback, but managed to pull himself together. He said, slowly and quietly, "Good mare, I too am a wordsmith and do not take kindly to your insults to my profession, myself, and Miss Persnickety. I would appreciate it if I could have my cider without running commentary, if you please."

The waitress glared at him. In one fluid motion, she whisked his coins off the counter, turned quickly to her left, filled two mugs with steaming hot cider, and slid them over to him. He smiled, picked up the cups, and slowly walked back towards Persnickety's corner, being careful not to spill a drop of the golden, frothing drinks.

Syd, a storm grey pony with a dark brown mane found himself walking through Stalliongrad, taking in the sights. He had not been to Stalliongrad since he was but a young Colt with his parents. He was wearing a long black trenchcoat that hid the majority of his body as well as a pair of mirrored sunglasses that hid his eyes. He also had a guitar case with him, suggesting he was some sort of musician. Syd was looking for a place that he could get something to drink and rest. The gig he played recently in Stalliongrad was quite the hit, and he was looking foward to getting to a hotel, and making his way back to Canterlot in the next day.

Syd made his way into a small cafe named the "Cider Cellar and sat down at a table in the back, after ordering a cup of tea to drink. Syd seemed to try not to divert attention to himself, looking to keep himself from being spotted by anyone looking for an autograph or seeking to draw attention to himself.

Unfortunately, Newsworthy didn't notice the large grey stallion who had entered during his conversation with the waitress. Or, to be more specific, he didn't see the bulky guitar case sticking partly out into the walkway.

Everything moved in slow motion as the cider began to fall, straight toward the stranger. In a frantic attempt to attempt to save the drinks, N.W. flailed, pawing the air. It was all to no avail. He ended up on his back, in a huge puddle of (now disgustingly) warm juice.

He looked up in horror to see the stranger covered in cider, apparently glaring at him (although it was difficult to tell from behind those glasses).

Syd had too much on his mind to notice the guitar case he put down next to him sticking out into the walkway. Syd soon saw a pony carrying two large glasses of cider trip for reasons he could not discern at the time. The cider went spilling all over him, his trenchcoat and guitar case. Syd glared behind his sunglasses, not in an angry way but in a "Are you okay" look. Syd got up and took off his trenchcoat, unfortunately making his presence known. He reached out for the pony in a puddle of cider, and helped him up.

"Are you okay? That sure looked like it hurt. Don't worry about me, my coat is replaceable." Syd said to the formerly fallen stallion.

With shock, N.W. realized he had just ruined the trenchcoat of his idol, the world-famous Syd. His mind flashed back to his office in Ponyville, plastered with posters and paraphernalia of the musician. He couldn't believe that he was meeting Syd in real life. And then he remembered again what a mess he was in. He began to stammer incoherently, trying to explain what had happened and that he would pay to replace the coat, but all that came out was:

"You... I... This... No...."

(Mind if I jump in? :) )

Klutz was making her way slowly through Stalliongrad, trying not to be to hasty in her journey. She had heard an old friend was in town, and since she was passing through, she decided to see if she could find him. The day was a little warmer than she was used to, so she decided to get a drink of something, somewhere. She glanced around for a café, a bar - anything. She found a small café by the name of 'Cider Cellar', and made her way inside. She was overpowered with the smell of strong cider, and her mouth began to water. She had forgotten how much she loved cider. She rushed forward, in such a hurry to sample the sweet cider, that she didn't notice the puddle of the stuff on the floor, and went sliding along headfirst into a stallion she hadn't even noticed.

Klutz mentally facehoofed herself. Looking up from the puddle on the floor, she saw the faces of Syd and the stallion she had collided with peering down at her. Suddenly elated, she stood up, only to slip and fall again. Well, at least she had found Syd. "Hey there Syd!" she cried, waving a dripping hoof at the musical stallion.

"As I am positively charmed likewise, Sir Newsworthy." She'd reached for her cider to drain what remained and, as if on a very prompt cue, he offered to get her another. Well, she could get used to those kinds of manners. "I wouldn't want to trouble you - but, if you insist." And while he'd go about doing that, she returned to her writings...although, her ears remained high and vigilant in any conversation that might start up, again.

Persnickety was used to the whispers. She was used to the uncertainty and even the insults, and so she tried not to pay much mind to all of the hush-hush that went on between the barista and her new acquaintance. The sound of a slip and an almost comical thud caused her to glance up once more, though. She almost felt bad for cracking a grin. What ho? The newcomer looked like a tough kind of stallion, too. And then to add to it all, another mare found herself quite literally stumbling upon the other two. She almost clapped. Almost.

"That was a fine comedy of errors, I must say! - Barista, might we get a wet rag, perhaps?" In turn, she earned herself a look from the waitress, although a rag was wordlessly produced. Persnickety snatched up a corner of it with her mouth and trotted over, gently setting it beside Newsworthy if he was so inclined to accept the offer. "Some of the best improv can come from everyday life, it seems." She stepped back a couple of paces, glancing up at the other two as well, "Are the lot of you alright? Nothing bruised but pride, I hope?"

Partially regaining his composure, Newsworthy began to nervously mop up the mess on the floor with the rag. He glanced at Persnickety and smiled in thanks. "I ... think nothing's badly hurt." He reshuffled his wings a little and winced in pain. "On second examination, I think I may have sprained my wing." He gave a wry grin. "But no need to worry, Miss Persnickety. I'm tougher than I look."

Syd smiled at the downed stallion. He felt bad for him, as he tried to explain to him something, although it came out as a garbled mess of random words. Syd whispered in his ear to stay quiet about the fact he was here.

"I don't need any fanfillys or paperazzi chasing after me tonight. I avoided the concert afterparty for a reason."

Syd also noticed his old friend Klutz, walk (or more accurately slide) into the cafe. He was happy to see her, as he had not kept up with her since the incident at Ponyville a number of months back. He helped her up and gave her a friendly hug to show his enthusiasm. Syd motioned for the stallion, the mare who seemed to be associated to the pony who spilt the cider and Klutz to come and sit down next to him, hoping that he could calm his nerves, and learn more about the two newly met ponys.

He finished wiping up the floor, and then began to dry his fur, kicking himself mentally for being so clumsy. Then again, the thought struck him that he probably wouldn't have even recognized the stranger if it weren't for this little mishap.

He wasn't quite sure that to think of the other mare who had arrived. She seemed nice enough, and he was secretly quite jealous that she appeared to be on close terms with Syd.

After he felt halfway presentable, and had wrung out the rag several times, he joined the other ponies at the table. His heart was still pounding, but he had sufficiently calmed his nerves to regain his usual cool composure.

"First of all, let me apologize for my little mishap back there. I'm so sorry about your jacket, Syd, and I'll gladly replace it."

"Sprained your wing?" She winced a tad. "Well, regardless of you being tougher than your appearance may let on, if it acts up, do say so. I believe there's a doctor not far from here." She took the moment to briefly stretch and refold her own wings with a feathered rustle.

The invitation to sit with the others, however, gave her a bit of pause. Really and truly, her company was welcome? Intriguing. She took a small detour back to her original sitting spot at the bar, rolling up her parchment and tucking it into her saddle bag beside the stool. She then carried that over to join the others, remaining quiet for the time being as she looked the trio of comedians ponies over. The lighting of the cafe caught her glasses just so, glaring them over with a sheer reflection. It probably did nothing to prevent the idea that behind those spectacles lay a shrewd and silently judging gaze.

Newsworthy looked at Persnickety sheepishly. "I'd be happy to get you another cider, if you're still interested, that is."

There was something about those orange eyes that captivated him. This pony, with her love of literature, her alluring looks, and ...

But he stopped himself short. He hardly even knew her, and he was just here for the day. His mind ran on with more and more reasons why it just couldn't work. He looked down at his hooves and bit his lower lip.

When he glanced back up, she was smiling at him. He felt his heart begin to melt.

She'd already been acquainted with one of the three - it was the other two that seemed to hold her particular attention, at least for the time being. They seemed nice enough. Just because other ponies were nice, however, didn't mean that they couldn't be positively dreary and kill whatever small shaving of inspiration was left tumbling about in her head. Now, what kind of mindset is that, Persnickety? Inspiration can come from the simplest of things. Goodness knows you need all of the help with your work that you can get...

The purple and black haired mare seemed the bubbly sort - if a tad clumsy. Reminiscent of the colorful court jesters of old that had been recreated in many a play. The dark-pelted stallion with the cider-dampened trenchcoat and guitar case seemed a bit like...a traveling bard? A wandering minstrel? He didn't look familiar, but between he and the mare with the sunny disposition, there may have been a bit of promise as far as conversation could go.

And then, snapped from her mind's inner workings.

"Mm? Oh - there's no need, really and truly. I'm just sorry that you spent bits on cider that shan't be enjoyed." She smiled a half-amused smile. "At least it was a valiant attempt."

((Okay. xD I'm gonna wait to post again until everyone else has. Maybe try to get a sort of rotation goin' so that it's fair for everyone? If that'd be cool with you guys, of course.))

Klutz grinned sheepishly at the two, and gladly took Syd's helping hoof. She hugged him back and shook her mane out carefully, drying her coat with the rag once the other stallion - Newsworthy - was finished with it.

She accepted Syd's offer to join them at his table and watched the exchange of conversation between him and another mare - Persnickety - that she hadn't even noticed. Suddenly it dawned on her that she hadn't introduced herself. She gasped loudly, causing the other three to look at her, and then grinned.

"Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. My name's Klutz. Please to meet you both!" She smiled, but then her beam faltered, remembering that Newsworthy had mentioned something about spraining his wing. "Oh no! I hope I didn't hurt you! I'm so sorry for barging into you like that! I'm just so clumsy ... Er, as you've probably already guessed!"

Klutz laughed nervously. Being nervous wasn't a feeling Klutz knew well. She was an outgoing filly, who loved to sing, and she hardly ever got stagefright; but she desperately hoped she wasn't the cause of Newsworthy's poorly wing.

Syd sat down at the table and took off his signature mirrored glasses, realising that they would do him no good anymore, now that his cover is blown. Syd looked around the room, and realized that the ponies in the room did not seem to be the concertfaring type, so that put some of his paranoia at ease. Introducing himself seemed to be the next logical course of action, as the mare with the Cyan bangs did not seem to know who he was.

"Where are my manners, My name is Sydphony, but I prefer to go by my stage name Syd. It is nice to meet you Miss....." He said wating for a response from the mare. A gentle cockney accent filled his speech, alluding to his orgins in Trottingham. Syd struck up conversation with the group. "So, this lad over here seems to know me well. You must know me from somewhere, perhaps you have come to one of my concerts before. It is nice to meet fans who don't chase me down the streets and want me to sign all their merchandise." Syd heard the Stallion feeling sorry for his mishap, and thought it best to leave it alone. Besides, his trenchcoat was not that expensive and he had another back at the hotel he was staying at. If anything, Syd thought he should be the one to pay back the stallion, as he put his guitar case out in the aisle by accident.

"What's your name lad, and don't bother paying me, it is my bad that my case was sticking out into the aisle. " Syd said reaching for a towel to clean himself off. After that he reached into his saddlebag looking for something with great fervor.

He tore his eyes away from Persnickety as the mare with purple in her mane started to speak.

"Very pleased to make your acquaintance, miss. And don't you worry. It was my fault that you slipped, as I'm the one who spilled the cider. My wing is just fine ..." This last was said shakily. His wing had begun to throb painfully, and he reached a hoof up to gingerly examine it. The base of his left wing felt like it was on fire, pulsing with every heartbeat. If this didn't clear up soon, he might just have to swallow his pride and take up that offer to go see the doctor.

After hearing Syd's generous words, N.W. replied, "You're all too kind, sir. The name's Newsworthy, and it's certainly well met. You should know that I'm your biggest fan, I've been to over a dozen of your concerts. I'm afraid that you won't be able to escape the press tonight, though, as I'm a journalist myself. But, seeing as you're clearly not in the mood for an interview, I'll just keep my reporter's cap off for now. I know you have little reason to trust us pressponies, but believe me, your presence is our secret."

Persnickety adjusted her glasses, the glare to them fleeing. "Likewise, Miss Klutz." Somehow, she could actually sympathise with the nervousness. Perhaps it was just being introduced to so many people at once. She'd nary a lick of stagefright in her either, but that was acting. Perhaps the fact that she was such a shut-in left something to be said about the whole mess, as well.

She almost blushed beneath the brown of her pelt when she realized she'd not introduced herself to the other two. Her manners were elusive today, it seemed. "Persnickety. Charmed, Mister Syd." She steepled her hooves along the table. "I believe I've heard of you from somewhere, yes. Perhaps concert posters. I admit I don't usually go to many concerts...my niche is more in the way of plays. I am a freelance playwright, you see." She grinned, "You must be talented in some aspects, though - you seem to be well-known by these two, at least."

The faint lilt of foreign accents was pleasant to hear, and along with the amusing and entertaining bout of Newsworthy's fanboying, she seemed quite content to just listen to the conversation unless it was directed at her. It had been a very long time since she'd hung out with a group, but she had this down. She could totally do this. It was just like riding a scooter - you never really forget how to do it...hopefully.

Syd was surprised to know that this stallion was in fact a reporter. He never looked at reporters as being the sociable type, only as parasites that sought to invade his privacy. Also interesting to note was that he was a huge fan. Syd was on tour, to the chagrin of his special somepony Dawning Aura, although he never thought he would meet somepony so....dedicated to his art. Syd also noticed the stallion eyeing up Persnickety. He had been in that situation a few months back, and knew what his look meant.

"I'm impressed to say the least Newsworthy, I would have never thought I would be able to meet with someone that has seen so many of my shows. I would also like to thank you for keeping quiet about my location and situation. Syd motioned for him to move in closer so that he could whisper in his ear. "I know that look you have. She is a pretty one indeed. I'm going to help you out. Here are two V.I.P tickets to my concert tomorrow night. Ask her to come. You won't regret it." Syd winked at the stallion and slid the tickets under the table, in order to keep the tickets a secret from Persnickety. Syd also gave a ticket to Klutz under the table, and did a zip the lips motion to her, hoping she got the message.