Strawberry Blossom

[ Pony Related Character ]

Name: Strawberry Blossom (Or Strawberry, or Berry, or Berry Blossom, or Blossom. If it contains some component of her name, chances are good she'll answer.)

Species: Earth Pony

Pelt Color: Lavender-pink

Mane/Tail Color & Style: A lighter shade of red. Her tail is carried high and her mane is usually in pigtails with strawberry-shaped clasps; both are prone to curly cowlicks.

Eye Color: Medium-dark green

Cutie Mark: A strawberry flanked by two white strawberry flowers. strawberryblossommarksmall.png

Physique: Large and hefty. She is a Clydesdale type and thus a filly of substance by nature, though not actually overweight for her larger frame.

Residence: Outskirts of Ponyville, close in to Everfree Forest

Motivation: "Well... I've always loved plants. They're fantastic to talk to - don't look at me like that! - and if you nurture them well they'll give it right back to you! But what I really love is seeing them flower... and one day, when I was watching my strawberry plants - the first I grew by myself! - bloom, my mark appeared!"

Likes: Strawberries, sweets, plants in general, naps in the sun, company - especially in her garden! She enjoys being around otherponies and welcomes any visits, and is happiest when everyone else goes with the flow just like she does.

Dislikes: Sour or bitter flavored foods, violent storms, sudden loud noises (though loud noises she has some warning about are all right), impatient attitudes. Trying to push her out of her easygoing nature, or generally rush her, will make her irritable; she turns moody any time she's not allowed to take things at her own pace.

Character Summary: A native of Fillydelphia, Strawberry Blossom comes from a long line of bakers and pâtissiers; it was always assumed that she would follow in the family business, especially once her fondness for sweets and pastries became apparent. As such, her parents kept her in the family bakery from an early age, trying to teach her the ways of the kitchen and instill a love of their craft. Unfortunately, the problem with that quickly became apparent - while she didn't actually dislike baking, she didn't really seem to be enjoying it either. At any rate, it was clear that she was going to break from family tradition.

Trying not to be disappointed, her parents put her to work in the family garden instead - after all, they grew quite a few of their fruits themselves, and someone had to help the plants along. It was here that Strawberry Blossom really began to shine; she loved being surrounded by plants, watching and helping them grow, even talking to and confiding in them. Noticing her skill, her parents soon allowed her to have a little patch of the garden for herself. Naturally, she chose to plant strawberries - and as she watched her babies bloom, she found her cutie mark and her calling. Strawberry Blossom was meant to study, observe, and care for plants, and she would learn everything she could about them!

And so, eventually, the stories about Everfree Forest caught her attention.

Weather that happened on its own?

Animals that took care of themselves?

Most intriguing of all - plants that grew unaided?

She simply had to see this.

So she began begging her parents for a chance to investigate the rumors - to see for herself how the plants fared on their own, how the self-sustaining animals affected them, how the plants handled weather uncontrolled by pegasi. And finally, they agreed - and with their blessing she set off for Ponyville, using her savings from selling the fruits of some of her plants to pay a rent deposit on a little hut near the forest and planting a new garden to sustain herself while she studied this most fascinating of phenomena.

In general a friendly pony and a hard worker, Strawberry Blossom can sometimes seem a bit scatterbrained. She has been known to hold long conversations with plants, which serve as her sounding boards, and can drift off-topic easily when talking - often inserting tangents into the middle of sentences and then feeling the need to elaborate on said tangents, or simply meandering off by way of free association. A patient filly herself, being patient with her has its rewards, while trying to force her along a path faster than she's inclined to can make her shut down and sulk. (Not that she can't get along with faster-paced ponies... just don't expect a Strawberry Blossom to thunder along like a Rainbow Dash, and all will be well.)

strawberry_blossom_by_nikkicub-d3dh2fs.png