Twice the Misfit! [Midnight Read, Silver Wish]

CrimsonNova

Silver Wish had done it. She had braved the dazzling sunlight and exited her tower for something other than her once-a-day trip to the museum where she worked. This time, however, it was something different altogether. She had decided to visit Canterlot, and perhaps visit her parents while she was there.

She was walking along slowly, trying not to think negative things. Nopony was staring at her. Nopony even knew her here. She wasn't the social recluse from the tower back in Stalliongrad anymore, she was just a regular unicorn, strolling through Canterlot.

She was trying to walk with her head down, draw as little attention to herself as possible when she walked right into a sign. She yelped and tried to smile at the pony who had just cast her a concerned glance.

She looked up at the sign, cursing it to Discord. "Stupid thing." Then she noticed it was a sign for a bookstore. She hesitated and sighed. She couldn't resist a new book.

She took a stroll into the store and began to look around the shelves. There was nopony in the store, not even behind the desk, so she assumed business was a little slim at the moment.

She found a rather thick volume on astronomy, and after a few moments of flicking through it, she decided to buy it. She approached the counter and cleared her throat. "Umm, hello?"

Midnight Read was vising her mothers bookstore for only a couple of days. When she said visiting, what she really meant was working. Her mother was busy delivering books to a book store in Fillydelphia so the store was in Midnight's hooves for the next couple of days.

Midnight was currently looking around in her old room. She shivered she didn't like it here. There was too many bad memories, and so many lonely days.

Suddenly Midnight was in her room sitting on her bed with a old book laid out in front of her.

Midnight was snapped out of her flashback to hear a mares voice coming from the shop.

Midnight Read closed her bedroom door and slowly went down the stairs to the waiting customer.

She was a light yellow colored mare with a large volume of astronomy on the counter

"Sorry to keep you waiting," Said Midnight while checking the price on the book.

Silver Wish was tapping her hooves on the ground impatiently. She didn't like to be kept waiting by other ponies. She glanced up as she heard hoofsteps on the stairs.

She tried to throw a smile at the filly behind the counter. "That's .. no problem," she said, through gritted teeth. She couldn't take her anxiety out on this filly, as much as she may have wanted to. She busied herself by trying to find her bits in her saddlebags. She used her magic to retrieve her pouch of bits, knocking two books out of her bags by accident.

"Shoot.." She sighed and began to pick them up with her magic, apologising hastily to the mare behind the counter, she picked her bits up with her mouth, and once she had finished cleaning she turned back to the counter.

"'ow 'uch is ih?" she blushed and dropped her bit-pouch on the counter, grimacing. "I mean, how much is it?"

She suddenly realised why she didn't go out in public much. She was making such a foal of herself.

"It's okay," Midnight said trying to hold back a giggle, "That will be 5 bits please," Midnight said after the mare dropped the bit-pouch on the counter.

Midnight Read gave her a odd look, she must not get out much, she thought to herself

Midnight cleared her throat and turned her her attention to the book the mare was buying, "So, your interested in astronomy?" She asked while getting a bag for the book.

Silver Wish extracted the 5 bits from her pouch and pushed them toward the filly. She picked up the pouch and returned it to her saddlebags.

"Yeah, I love looking at the stars. I read a lot so most people back home in Stalliongrad don't pay me much mind, but I don't really care."

Silver Wish sat down on her rump and flashed a tired smile at the filly. "Silver Wish."

Midnight lifted the 5 bits and put them into the rusty till which was placed on the counter.

Midnight smiled back, "Midnight Read."

Midnight blushed "Same here, when I was a little foal reading was way more important than playing with other foals," Midnight replied,

Midnight saw the tired smile on the mare's face, "You look like you have been looking at the stars for too long, when have you last slept?" Midnight asked quietly,

Silver Wish was surprised that this filly and she had so much in common. Perhaps there was suggesting of a possible friend for the unsocial mare. She noted the name. Midnight Read.

"You look like you have been looking at the stars for too long, when have you last slept?"

Silver Wish rubbed her eyes, noticing how tired she really was. "Nah, I've been travelling to visit my parents here, and I'm tired from the journey. I don't travel much." She smiled at Midnight.

"Anyway, is this your shop? I'd love to own my own bookstore, but somehow I think ponies would run in terror at the sight of me. I'm not a popular pony back home, as I've said."

Silver Wish stretched her legs and stood up. She wasn't used to talking so much, but the conversation flowed easily with this filly.

Midnight lifted up the book and placed it into a plain white bag.

Midnight sighed, "Lucky you, I would do anything to get out of Canterlot," She said with a small smile,

"No, it's my mother's," She sad muttering to her self,"She is busy doing business in Fillydelphia to be looking after it so thats where I come in..." She said while rolling her eyes,

"Run in terror? Why in Equestria would they do that?", Midnight asked confused, sure the mare said she wasn't really popular but running away in terror?

"Oh, folks think I'm strange because I never leave my tower. There's always some wild rumors about me flying around."

She smiled at Midnight.

"Don't you like Canterlot either?" Silver Wish took the bag and tilted her head. It seems that she and this filly had quite a lot in common.

Midnight was amazed how much she and this Mare had in common. She smiled back at Silver.

"I don't really have alot of friends here because I always have my nose stuck in a book," Midnight said sighing, "I find fictional characters better friends than real ponies" She said laughing a little bit,

"Well, no...I hate it here." She said rolling her eyes, "Most ponies are stuck up and just plain rude" She said muttering to herself,