The Accursed Journey [Crossover RP] [OPEN]

OOC: Partheus and I are beginning an epic adventure in the Everfree Forest. Anypony is welcome to join, as long as it fits with the story. Also, if you would like, feel free to jump in as a character other than your standard. For example, there are a lot of monsters in the Everfree Forest, so if you want to play as a manticore, troll, cyclops, or some other fantastical foe, please do.

Also, note that in this version of Equestria, humans and ponies live in neighboring countries.

RP starts below.

Everfreeconcept11.jpg

Newsworthy wasn't sure what to make of this human. The creature had appeared in Ponyville a week ago, badly wounded. The hospital was able to treat his injuries, but nopony could make sense of the stories he told. Only Twilight had heard of this nation of humans, and even she had thought it was just a legend until meeting the stranger.

However, being a journalist and author, Newsworthy saw the stranger's arrival as a golden opportunity to write a sensational story. Everypony wanted information about the newcomer, and he would be the one to sate the rumor mill. When Partheus mentioned that he wished somepony could show him around the Everfree Forest, Newsworthy jumped at the chance. It was the perfect opportunity to interview him discreetly.

Being a lover of science and nature, Newsworthy knew the woods around Ponyville well. Despite the rumors, there were a few paths near the edge of the Everfree that were relatively safe, and it was to the trailhead of one of these that he guided his new friend.

They looked up at the forbidding, towering trees. A mysterious chill emanated from the gap between the two ancient oaks guarding the entrance. The stale breeze smelled of musty, rotting leaves.

"Here it is, Partheus. The Everfree Forest." He looked back at the human following him. "Are you sure you want to go in this accursed place? There are many dangers, only some of which I can predict and protect us from. We risk our lives even stepping one hoof ..." He caught himself. "Or in your case, foot, within the Everfree."

Before Partheus had a chance to reply, a hooded pony appeared from the thicket and gave them a letter before disappearing again into the bushes.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Partheus looked at the letter he was handed. It was a dirty brown piece of parchment, with stained corners and small holes in places. Not risking to damage it any further, Partheus carefully placed the letter into his satchel and gazed at the spot from where the mysterious pony came from. His instincts were to pursue the stranger, but instead opted to inquire Newsworthy, just in case it was some social norm Partheus was unaware of.

"Well, that was strange. Is this how residents of the Everfree Forest usually greet one another?"

""Forest Dwellers", you say? There's a group of human bandits who go by that very same title around the forests of western Taiga... No, I'm certain it's merely coincidence. Anyway, let's see what this letter says."

Partheus took the letter back out of his satchel and opened it, being careful not to tear it or create any more holes. It read:

"Dear "hooman",

You are not welcome here. Leave Equestria now or we will be forced to take action. This is your one and only chance; refuse to leave, and we will have our finest warriors hunt you and your friends down. And don't think we won't know. We have our ways..."

At the bottom of the letter, there was an imprint of a hoof made with black ink, with the words 'We know' written beside it. "Strong words for a group of cowards. Why not fight me like a man... mare?" Partheus handed the letter to Newsworthy, who began to study the letter in detail. "Hmph! Joke's on them anyway. I happen to be an accomplished scout, so I know a thing or two about bush craft. If they think they can out-scout me, they've got another thing coming!"

Newsworthy folded the letter up and gave it back to Partheus. "So, what do you make of it?"

"There must be some reason that these ruffians have a quarrel with you ..." Newsworthy squinted at the stranger. "You never told me why you wanted to enter the Everfree. The forest is dangerous enough without a pack of bandits hunting you down ... unless you have a darn good explanation, I'm going back to Ponyville."

"Haven't I told you already?" Partheus looked up at the sky and sighed heavily.

"We are travelling through the Everfree Forest because I want to learn more about this country first-hand, instead of reading it out of a book. On top of that, you wanted to interview me for your column in the Ponyville Express. So, I decided to combine the two activities together to save time. Additionally, in the unlikely event that we were to run into any trouble, at least it would get me road-ready faster. The sooner the better, considering the importance of the message I must deliver."

Newsworthy looked skeptical. "So you're telling me that you want to enter this forest to 'learn.' To 'learn,' after receiving a death threat from some of Equestria's most dangerous criminals? I may not be a human, but I wasn't born yesterday. There's something you're not telling me. And I refuse to enter that forest unless you disclose the real reason for this little hike."

Partheus gritted his teeth and clenched his fists in anger.

"It's none of your business! Whatever reason I have for travelling through Everfree Forest is no one's concern, especially you! The last thing I need is for you to write some insipid gossip story about me in the daily digest, making me the laughing stock of Ponyville! I've only been here a week, and you are already doggedly determined to slander my name to earn a few more bits? HOW SHAMEFUL!"

The ground began to shake violently, and a strange wind was blowing from Partheus' direction. Noticing this, Partheus became unsettled and immediately calmed down, and the ground ceased to vibrate. "Oh no... it's happened again... hasn't it?"

Newsworthy smirked. He knew that he had the upper hand, as this poor soul needed a guide, and would be hard pressed to find anypony else who would travel through Everfree willingly. All of a sudden, he was thrown off his hooves by a earthquake and gust of wind, seeming to emanate outward from Partheus. This was a surprising turn of events. The human clearly didn't have a horn ... was there some other way that he could channel magic?

"Now, now," he said, standing and dusting himself off, "let's not get too hasty. Yes, I am a reporter, and I would still like to publish an article about you. But what do you take my paper for? A tabloid? Far from it, sir. I always give sensitive personalities like yourself the option of reviewing the story before publication to ensure that your privacy is protected." He glared at Partheus coolly. "Now, if you don't answer my questions, then this conversation is over. You will be wandering through the Everfree alone, to almost certain death. I am not asking as a reporter, I am asking as your friend and your guide. What the hay is so important that you would face the monsters of the Everfree and a pack of angry bandits to accomplish it? And what happened with that earthquake just now? Are you some kind of sorcerer?"

Partheus looked at his hands. He had clenched them so hard in his fit of rage, his nails had dug into the palms of his hands and they were bleeding. Reluctantly, he lowered his arms and began to explain:

"I... was instructed by Princess Celestia herself to go out into this forest to "train my mind for when I meet Fluttershy". I have no idea what this means, or who Fluttershy is, but I have to put my trust into Celestia. She's the only one here who seems to be at least aware of other nations besides Equestria, so if there is anyone here I can count on to be a useful source of information, it's her.

"As for the shaking just now, I do not know what that was, though a similar incident occurred a week ago while I was still in hospital. I was talking to Twilight Sparkle for the first time, she got me mad over something, and before I knew what was going on, the room started to shake like how it did just now. It's never happened before then, and I can't think of anything it could possibly be. It can't be magic, because humans can't cast magic, so unless I have been cursed by someone, which is highly doubtful considering I've just come out of hospital, it can't be based purely on magic. I'll consult Celestia about it next time I see her.

"Oh, and don't worry about the story. We'll find a slot for my interview in due time. For now, I think we need to focus our attention on these Forest Dwellers, and why they are so determined to evict me from Equestria."

Partheus reached into his satchel and pulled out two white wraps. He tied one around each of his hands, cut off any excess cloth, and put the excess cloth back into his satchel. The wraps began to absorb the blood, slowly turning a deep hue of red. "That'll do for the moment. Now, is there anything you know about the Tree Dwellers? Where they are, what they do, who they like, who they hate, that sort of thing."

"A mandate from the Princess herself?" Newsworthy was aghast. "Well that changes things. I will certainly aid you on your quest, for both your sake and hers, although I can't fathom why you would need to train to meet Fluttershy. She's the nicest, most soft spoken pony you will ever meet. Perhaps she was using Fluttershy as a euphemism for something else ... I know not. However, the Forest Dwellers are a very mysterious clan of ponies that haunts the Everfree.

"Some say that the Forest Dwellers are a peaceful race, who live quietly, minding their own business. However, most ponies think that they are a band of ruffians who defend their territory from intruders. It is said that on the darkest nights they steal into Ponyville and take whatever they can find. Considering their craftiness, it's been difficult to determine what is fact and what is fiction."

He stepped up to the mouth of the trail. "The precious moments of daylight are slipping from our grasp. We must complete our journey before nightfall if we have any chance of making it out safely."

Partheus smiled and nodded in agreement. Well, he thought, it seems this one isn't cut from the same cloth as your average journalist. He didn't jump to wild conclusions like most of them do, nor did he treat myths and rumours as facts. I'll have to keep my eye on this one.

The two began to retrace their steps through the Everfree Forest, cautiously checking each and every bush for a dreaded pair of eyes, or the outline of a hood. Before long, it was fully formed night, Luna's glory illuminating the land around them in a pale azure glow. The twisted faces forever carved into the trees of the Everfree Forest were obscured somewhat by the shadows, but retained their intimidating stare, and their ghastly branches formed misleading silhouettes of misshapen creatures to trick overly curious explorers who were foolish enough to venture into the Everfree Forest at night.

As the duo were making their way to the two oaks guarding the entrance to the Everfree Forest, they could see two figures standing by the oaks waiting for them. As they came closer to them, they could see that they were wearing similar attire to the hooded pony who gave them the letter. Partheus turned around to walk back into the thicket, but there were two additional hooded ponies blocking the way. The two were soon surrounded by them, coming out of every nook and cranny of the forest, as if they were the very trees that made up the forest.

I knew this was a bad idea ... I just knew it. Newsworthy looked around at the Dwellers with his best fearsome glare. It came out more as a squint.

Reaching under his reporter's cap, he drew out his fountain pen, and held out the sharp point toward the closest assailant. "We are peaceful travelers through your wood. State your business with us."

One of the Dwellers standing by the entrance looked around at the others and muttered something to the hooded pony next to him. The Dweller then lifted its hood to reveal a bedraggled looking colt, with deep scars and nicks chiselled into his face. He had black eyes, short unkempt hair, and pointed ears with rings in them, one of which looked as if it were bitten. He cleared his throat, pointed at Partheus and spoke with a hoarse voice, "You are the "hooman", yes?"

Partheus crossed his arms together in defiance. "So what if I am? If you think you're kicking me out of Equestria, you've got another thing coming!" The colt then nodded at one of the hooded ponies, who had a blue horn. The hooded unicorn then cast a spell, causing the ground beneath Partheus to turn into quicksand. He fell into the quicksand, burying him up to his waist. The pony reversed the spell, trapping Partheus in solid ground up to his middle. He tried to get himself out, but to no avail. The hooded unicorn then cast another spell, which conjured a large sword above where Partheus was. The unicorn then let the sword drop blade first towards Partheus, stopping it just as it was about to go through his forehead. The unicorn kept the blade hanging there, just about touching Partheus' brow, much to the amusement of the other hooded ponies, especially the scarred colt.

"Good work, Trick-See. Now, hooman, I think it's time we stopped playing games." He leant over Partheus, who was still unsettled by the blade touching his brow. "We gave you one last chance to leave Equestria, but you instead chose to destroy more of it with your wicked magic." Partheus gasped in realisation. "B-but that's something I can't control! I didn't choose to do whatever I did! Heck, I don't even know what it is to begin with!" The colt smiled, breathing his putrid breath into Partheus' face. "All the more reason to evict you. If YOU can't control it, then who can?" Partheus gritted his teeth in anger, but chose not to lash out at him. He wasn't exactly at a liberty to tell the colt who had him at swordpoint what to do, and a second outburst would only serve to prove his point.

"As for your friend... I'm sure no one will mourn his passing." The hooded unicorn then made the sword levitate and point in Newsworthy's direction, who looked nervous. "Trick-See, do as you wish with the blue one. I'll be taking the hooman back to the cave to have his fate judged by the Mistress herself. The rest of you, dismissed!" At that, he waved his hoof at them, and they all scattered back into the thicket. The colt then grabbed Partheus by the scruff of his neck and pulled him out of the ground in one swift action. He put Partheus down on to his feet, and tied his hands behind his back with some rope. He then lifted Partheus by the back of his neck, and dashed into the forest, leaving Newsworthy alone with the hooded unicorn, still hovering the sword at him.

His eyes wide with fear, Newsworthy tried to reason with the magician. "Trixie, heh, you aren't still angry about what I said in my paper about your show, are you? It was a ... misunderstanding. The sources I had were unreliable, and you were unavailable for an interview." As the sword floated closer, he began to sweat. "Please, Trixie ... I'm sorry ..."

He glanced up, noticing a small gap in the trees above. A desperate plan formed in his mind, but he hoped he wouldn't have to put it into action.

(Only Greed, Envy and Gluttony will be used here.)

Greed was touring near the Everfree Forest, hoping to find a new creature to capture and study. He'd been at it all day, with the help of his friends Envy and Gluttony, both of whom were getting a little bit weary of searching. However their luck was about to change when Gluttony saw two distant ponies get cornered and ambushed by a group of hooded individuals. She got Greed and Envy's attention and they watched as the hooded ponies tied up and carried off one of the pair, the other was left at the mercy of a sword wielding pony whom had been called Trick-See by one of the hooded group. "We can't just let them kill him!" Gluttony whispered to Greed, how replied with a quick nod, "You are right, but if we are not careful then he may slay the other before we can offer assistance." Envy suddenly stood up and sneaked closer to the pair, she closed her eyes and a small black clod appeared over her head. The cloud floated over to the pair, high in the air, and just as the two ponies noticed it a bolt of lightning shot from the cloud and struck the sword that was being held by the hooded pony. The hooded pony stumbled and fell over, dazed from the shock of the lightning. Envy glanced back to Greed and Gluttony, "hehe, that'll work..." said Gluttony...

As the cloud floated over, Newsworthy looked up in surprise. He was even more astonished when it shocked the Great and Powerful Trixie into stunned submission. Not losing a moment, Newsworthy spread his wings and leapt into the air, expecting to see his friend Rainbow Dash sitting atop the cloud with that smug grin of hers. However, nopony appeared to be controlling the cloud from above. Strange, he thought. That couldn't have been a coincidence.

Now that he wasn't restricted by that earthbound human, he was able to use his wings to their full advantage. He began to dart back and forth, looking for whoever or whatever had been so helpful. Perhaps they would be able to save Partheus as well.

"Hello? Is anypony there? Show yourself!" he called out as he searched.

Envy had retreated to the saftey of the treeline, so Greed and Gluttony emerged from the bush they'd been hiding behind, "Hello sir! Down here!" Greed called out. "Gluttony would you be so kind as to apprehend that hooded pony for us?" Gluttony nodded and ran towards the stunned, hooded pony, taking special care to knock the sword out of the pony's reach, in case she were to recover before she could be restrained.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the Everfree Forest...

"Now, according to the Hominidian Treatise of 1763, prisoners are allowed to ask their captor select questions. May I ask you a question, not counting this one?" Partheus was dangling uselessly from the colt's arm as they were dashing from treetop to treetop. "Fine, hooman. You may ask me one, and ONLY one question." Partheus smiled and nodded. "Why do none of you Dwellers have cutie marks?"

"You have sharp eyes, hooman. A shame they're wasted on someone as evil as you." The colt stopped and set Partheus down on a tree branch. "To answer your question, we are not chosen, nor do we choose to be a Forest Dweller. We are those who never got our Cutie Marks, and were rejected from society because of it. The only family we know is the loving embrace of the Mistress. Our real families disowned us from a young age."

"I was once a promising student at school. I helped around the community, I did well in all of my tests, and I was fairly well liked. But, as the years went by, everyone got their Cutie Marks and moved on without me. My parents were ashamed of me, and sent me away to an orphanage. One night, I escaped the place, and wandered into the Everfree Forest alone. Most would see that as a sign of insanity, but the Mistress saw it as a sign of greatness..."

"What did the Mistress do?" Partheus asked. "No more questions, hooman! On your feet!" The colt grabbed Partheus by the back of the neck, and set off on his way to the cave once more. Partheus sighed heavily. I shouldn't act so surprised, he thought. Has there ever been a bandit that's played by the rules?

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the Everfree Forest...

Partheus and the colt arrived at the entrance to a cavern embedded into the side of a short hill. The colt dropped Partheus down by a large pair of wooden doors, which were completely featureless apart from a single slit at eye level to the colt on the left door. The colt peered into the slit and spoke, "I have the hooman." There was a commotion of noises and mechanisms coming from behind the door, and after a brief few seconds of silence, the door swung open. "Get up, hooman. Time to meet the Mistress." The colt picked up Partheus by the back of his neck again, and escorted him through the doorway.

Inside, there was a gargantuan candlelit chamber, with a fifty-foot tall statue of a young human female in the centre, sitting cross-legged and wearing a white robe. Around the statue were various alcoves and stairways, leading off into smaller chambers and higher floors. Apart from the occasional sound of hooves coming from one of the alcoves, the chamber was completely silent. The smell of damp limestone filled the air around Partheus and the colt as they approached the statue of the human female. Beside the statue was a small stone hut, with a hooded pony guarding the entrance to it.

The colt approached the hooded pony, Partheus still in his grasp. "This is the hooman the Mistress wishes to see." The hooded pony nodded in agreement, and ushered the colt and Partheus inside the hut. Inside was a platform with brass gears protruding from the side facing the wall, and a lever in the centre. Partheus looked at the mechanism in confusion, and wondered what it could be used for. They all stood on the platform, and after checking to see if anyone else was coming, the hooded pony pulled the lever.

The platform began to descend at a brisk pace, causing Partheus to feel a little weird on the inside. After a while, the platform came to a halt, revealing a white throne room with a young human female sitting atop a throne of ivory, dressed in similar attire to the statue above them. Partheus and the colt walked into the chamber, and after coming within about thirty yards to the human female, the colt bowed down and tried to force Partheus to do the same.

"Please, let him stand on his own two feet." The colt let go of Partheus and untied him. "Ah, so this is the human that is behind all of the recent surges of power. Interesting..." The human female sat up from her throne and walked towards Partheus. "I thought something so destructive in nature would be more..." She leant over to Partheus' ear. "Threatening to behold. And, I am not sensing much power from within you. It is no more than what I am currently sensing from within Ross." The colt suddenly blushed, and Partheus raised his eyebrow in confusion. "And you are, exactly?"

"Oh, please don't tell me Ross hasn't told you about me?" The human female looked at Ross, who was smiling weakly. "I am the Mistress, founder and matriarch of the Forest Dwellers. You have been summoned here for two things. One is to keep you from destroying anything else in Equestria. Your forbidden magic must be stymied at all costs, lest we want Equestria to become a ruinous wasteland." Partheus remained calm. "And what is the second reason, dare I ask?" The Mistress leaned into Partheus' face and grinned maliciously.

"Fun..."

Greed shook hooves with the pegusus, "You owe us nothig good sir, I am Greed, this is Gluttony, and this is Envy, who is the one who sent that cloud." Envy sheepishly mumbled "It was nothing," before proceeded to draw circles into the ground with her hoof. "Now," began Greed, "Who is this Partheus? And what can we do to aid in his rescue?"

Within the bushes, a humanoid was observing the group of ponies conversing. The creature was wearing odd clothing. His face was covered in a mask that had goggles on it and what looked like a breathing apparatus on his face. A large brimmed hat loomed over his head, providing a shadow to be cast over him. He wore what looked like a jumpsuit that had numerous pockets all over it and a light jacket as well. From his belt hung various glass bottles and other implements that carried various liquids of varying color. On his back was a large backpack with scientific instruments hanging off of it. In his hand he had what looked like a human invention. It had a grip on it, and on top of the grip looked like a tube. It looked very primitive, but it seemed to be for self defense.

"Oh how wunderbar! More ponies in the forest. Zhey best be careful, zhose Forest ponies don't take kindly to outsiders." The man kept his eyes on the group, especially on the one with the skull for a head. It was strange looking, and it looked like a tribal, so he sprung into action. Reaching for a bottle of pink liquid, he threw it into the group of ponies that looked quite strange, and waited for them to start laughing uncontrollably. It was laughing gas after all.

"Irregardless, you saved my life. I hope to one day be able to return the favor. And considering the dangers of this forest, that day may be today," Newsworthy grinned. "Partheus is a messenger from the land of the humans, called Hominopolis, I believe. He is carrying some type of important message, the nature of which he refuses to reveal. As you saw, he was just taken by the Dwellers, I know not where ..."

A small, shiny object whisked through the air and broke at his feet. A small explosion caused a pink cloud to erupt from the ground, enveloping the four ponies. Newsworthy felt himself begin to laugh, but this laughter was terrifying, as he could not control it. He felt as if the humor was strangling him.

Quickly, he stepped back out of the cloud and took a few gasps of the fresh air. Soon, the laughter subsided into a chuckle, and then just a headache. Flaring his wings in aggression, he pawed the ground in the direction the laughter bomb had come from. "Alright, Dweller, I see that you can't take a hint. We are much stronger than you. Either run like the coward you are, or surrender."

When the cylinder hit the ground, Envy and Gluttony leapt back, Greed stood where he was, after all his head was a skull, he had nothing to fear from the gas. It began to snow as Envy's fear got the better of her, obscuring sight. "Gluttony, do you know what that was?" Greed asked, "Hmm, some kind of, hehehe, laughing gas! Certainly a cool weapon choice, hehe!" Gluttony replied, she'd gotten a lungful or two of the gas. "My pegusus friend, can you see anything?"...