The Hunter Approaches [PRIVATE]

Note: This is a private RP between me and NeilWacaster. Feel free to read, but unless your name is NeilWacaster, do NOT post a response to this thread.

The temperate sun rose above the hills surrounding Ponyville, the dawn creeping across the lush meadows and enchanting forests, like an advancing formation of light was rolling back the thresholds of twilight. Partheus, a human messenger stuck in Equestria until his wounds healed up, was rudely awoken by the sound of hooves pacing up and down the library in which he was sleeping in. "...perhaps if I correlate the data from Starswirl's charts... but they're out of date by about 200 years... if only I had a copy of the latest edition of Journal of Astronomical Studies..."

He scratched his head, drowsily stretched his arms and yawned. "What are you doing up at this hour, Twilight? The cockerels haven't even sounded yet..." At that, a cockerel crowed it's morning song off in the distance, followed by an encore of other cockerels. Oh very funny Celestia, he thought to himself as he sat up and straightened out his silk pyjamas. Twilight was surrounded by books, all taken from the Astronomy section. Some of them were opened up on the floor, and others were thrown onto a pyre of presumably useless information. She glanced up from a green book she was currently pored over, looking slightly bedraggled. "You will not believe what I'm having to do right now, Partheus."

"I received a letter from Celestia during the night. And before you ask, yeah, Spike wasn't too happy about being woken up early either." Spike was in his basket, snoring heavily and waving his arms trying to grab something, slurring between snores "...Rari... my love... no, don run... om nom nom... emeral..." "She told me that a constellation, Sagittarius, had recently broken free from his cosmic prison and is running amok in Equestria, but Celestia doesn't know when or where he will strike next. Apparently, Manehatten has already been attacked, and Fillydelphia barely fought him off..." Partheus went over to the pantry to grab a bottle of milk. "Sorry, could you slow down for a second? Since when could constellations move, let alone run amok?"

"Don't you know? Constellations are the trapped souls of powerful monsters, imprisoned by Celestia to prevent Equestria from being destroyed. Sagittarius, The Hunter, is considered to be one the most dangerous constellations, for he is said to be part human, part pony." "Horse, you mean." Twilight shrugged. "...whatever. Anyway, Sagittarius is free, and Celestia needs to know in advance which city he'll go after next. There's no point in going after him, for as his nickname implies, he is a masterful hunter, and would eliminate any search party we send after him." Partheus put the milk back in the pantry and helped himself to a bowl of feed. "Has Celestia warned Hominopolis of the threat?"

"Celestia believes that, because Sagittarius holds a grudge against her, he will only attack settlements in Equestria. To find out where he'll be next, Celestia has suggested that I study the night sky in great detail, analysing everything to see whether or not the behaviour of other constellations will give us clues to his whereabouts." Partheus continued to eat his bowl of feed, eyeing Twilight carefully as he put dry mouthfuls of feed into his mouth. "And what makes you think that'll work?" Twilight smiled at Partheus weakly. "What do you mean? Patterns are everywhere, Partheus. You just have to keep a REALLY close eye on things to notice them, hehehe..." Her eye twitched slightly.

"Oookay, is there any way I can help?" Ways that hopefully doesn't involve me spending any more time with Charles Maneson over here, he thought. Twilight rubbed her chin, thinking. "Well, there's nothing for you to do here. I've got everything covered concerning astronomy..." She clasped her hooves together. "I know! You can ask the local journalists about the latest scoops from around Equestria! If a place is attacked or being attacked, they'll be the first to know about it!" Partheus put down his bowl of feed. "First thing you've said this morning that makes sense. Right, I'm off!" He went to go change in the spare room. "Oh, and Partheus? Don't ask help from Gabby Gums, will you?"

Partheus was strolling around Ponyville, keeping his eye out for any of the local journalists he knew. Hmm, he thought, they all seem to be away today. Probably doing news coverage and survivor reports from Fillydephia and Manehatten after the attacks from Sagittarius... y'know, that still doesn't sit well with me. Since when could constellations terrorise nations? Partheus sighed. Then again, he thought, since when could ponies talk? A little perspective would help, moron... no matter, I just hope that Newsworthy is still in town. He's the only one of those journalist types I can trust... to an extent, anyway...

• Like 1

A blue pegasus soared over Ponyville, lost in thought. The news wires had been buzzing all night with the breaking story about the Manehattan and Fillydelphia attacks, and he had hardly slept a wink between writing a number of articles and publishing a special bulletin about the events. The attacks were very disconcerting, but the only major city anywhere near Ponyville was Canterlot, and of course the monster wouldn't dare to attack the royal palace itself. After all, the last time that he had tried a direct assault on the royal city was when Celestia had banished him to the sky.

He continued to think. What if The Hunter had gained more power, though? He certainly must have some type of new advantage, probably magical in nature, to be able to escape his imprisonment. The entire situation made the journalist very uneasy.

His attention was diverted when he saw the neighborhood mail mare, Derpy Hooves, making her early morning rounds. She was looking anxiously from side to side, appearing to be lost. Again. Why in Equestria the mayor had appointed a pegasus with no sense of direction to deliver the mail was beyond ridiculous. Nevertheless, he always enjoyed seeing her smiling face at his doorstep, even if the mail was a week late.

He drifted down to where the mare was hovering. "Do you need some help finding your way, Miss Doo?" Newsworthy asked courteously.

"No," she said, grinning. One of her eyes was fixed on him, but the other drifted lazily, contemplating the clouds overhead. "I found the library all by myself."

"Well done! Then what's the trouble? You seem to be looking for something."

"Not something. Somepony." She emphasized the last syllable.

"Oh?"

"I have a super special package I have to deliver right away to Twilight's new boyfriend."

Newsworthy looked very surprised. "Are you sure? I had no idea that she was romantically interested in anypony."

Derpy nodded vigorously. "Oh yes. She said that he went this way after leaving the library, but I can't find him anyplace."

Well, I'll be. I suppose that each of us does have their own special somepony, if we just look hard enough, the journalist thought to himself. And he was leaving the library early in the morning? Either he's a ridiculously early riser, or he stayed there overnight. This is getting more and more interesting. Turning to Derpy, he asked, "What does he look like? Maybe I've seen him."

She thought for a moment, tapping a hoof on her chin and letting both eyes slowly turn all the way around in their sockets. "He's tall, and has a black mane. Very big and strong."

No wonder she's having so much trouble finding him if that's all she's going on, Newsworthy thought. Out loud, he commented, "Interesting. I would have thought that she would have gone for a more bookish type ..." His voice trailed off, a little wistfully. "But no matter. Do you know anything else about him?"

"Oh, there he is!" Derpy gasped. She sped away, Newsworthy following close behind. They flew down main street past Sugarcube Corner and the Carousel Boutique, apparently heading, of all places, back to the office for Newsworthy's paper, the Ponyville Express.

"Ditzy, LOOK OUT!" Newsworthy grabbed her tail in his teeth, just barely preventing her from ramming into a lamppost. His heart nearly stopped beating, but she was unfazed. Landing lightly on her hooves, she walked up to her target. The blue pegasus was even more surprised to see who it was she had been looking for.

"Partheus?" Newsworthy tried to wrap his head around the situation, but he simply couldn't. Twilight is dating a HUMAN? The one who is LIVING with her? What ... the ... buck.

"Here's your package, Mister!" Derpy gave the human messenger her most endearing smile.

"Oh, thanks for the mail... Derpy, was it?" The grey pegasus nodded her head at Partheus, and flew away cheerily. Huh, he thought. I wonder who could have sent this? It feels quite heavy... Partheus unwrapped the package carefully, making sure not to disturb the contents of whatever was inside. He peeled away the wrapping paper to reveal an ornate mahogany case, with the insignia of the Human League and the Canterlot Coat of Arms side by side on the lid. He was about to peer into the case to see what was inside, but then he noticed a familiar face in the polished surface of the case.

"Newsworthy? Excellent! I've been looking for you everywhere!" Partheus wheeled around to greet Newsworthy, putting the mahogany case under his arm. Just then, the lid came open on the case, and a sword sheathed in it's scabbard and a note fell out of the case. Partheus placed the case on the floor, picked up the sword and read the note:

"Dear Partheus,

I'm sure you know of the situation with Sagittarius by now. Twilight's currently studying the constellations for clues to his whereabouts, and because I know from experience never to disturb my best student during "study time", that essentially leaves you without a place to rest for the time being. Therefore, I have arranged for you to stay in temporary accommodation in the Royal Palace itself, complete with a training hall..."

Partheus glanced at the blade in his hand. It was just as beautiful as the case it came in; a fine steel scabbard, with the insignia of the Human League on one side of the buckle, and the Canterlot Coat of Arms on the other side. The blade itself was strong, flexible, and light on the wrists, with a correct balance perfectly tailored to Partheus' grip style. The grip itself was also mahogany, with a solid steel pommel. To finish it off, the sword came attached with a belt coloured a regal red. Partheus gave it a few test swings; it felt like an extension of his arm, like a good sword should. Wait a moment, he thought. She doesn't expect me to KILL that Sagittarius guy by myself, does she? I'm still recovering from my injuries. There's no way I can stand up to such a monster, not in this condition! He continued to read the letter:

"I understand that you cannot fight properly due to your injuries. However, in the unlikely event that Sagittarius comes to Canterlot, you need to be prepared. Don't feel as though I am forcing you to fight. All I ask is that you are prepared for the worst.

The sword you have been given is a replica of your old one, made from the finest Tartarian steel and Everfree Mahogany. It's been branded with my coat of arms and your regimental insignia, to show that you serve both me and Hominopolis now. It's quite possibly the best sword our blacksmith has ever produced, and it took him ten days to assemble from scratch, so treat it with care..."

Well, so much for that, Partheus thought, as he was examining the blade for any dents or scratches. Sure enough, there was a minor scratch on the mid-section of the blade, but no dents or bumps.

"Sagittarius is a powerful foe. Don't underestimate him just because he is half human, half pony..." Horse, Partheus thought. "You'll need all your wits about you if you want to defeat him.

Your Caring Ruler, Princess Celestia."

Partheus crumpled the note and put it into his satchel. He stood up, hung the sword around his chest like a bandoleer so that the grip of the sword was protruding from his right shoulder, picked up the case, and turned to Newsworthy. "Whoops, my bad! I think Derpy's clumsiness is starting to rub off on me... Anyway, I've been meaning to talk to you all morning about something important. Mind if I ask you a few questions?"

• Like 1

"Well, I assume you know about the whole affair with Sagittarius, right? I was wondering if you could let a good friend like me in on some of the latest news before it's sent to the print. I think you can probably gather why I need to know as soon as possible..." Partheus then straightened out the red belt on his sword.

"It's a rather long story. You'd better come inside. I don't know about you, but I need some tea to get me going." He led Partheus into the newspaper office. The first room was a small reception area for special guests. Plush chairs and wood paneling gave the room a Victorian look. Opening a heavy mahogany door, he reporter propped his head in the newsroom to check on his diligent assistants, Headline and Featherweight. Headline was busily typing away at his desk, and Featherweight was covered in ink, operating a large, noisy printing press.

"How's it coming, boys?" Newsworthy asked.

"Very well, sir," Headline answered. "The articles for tomorrow are coming along right on schedule."

Featherweight looked up from his work. "The newsstands are already nearly empty of the first run we made last night, so I'm printing another three hundred copies."

"Keep up the good work," Newsworthy smiled. He closed the door and directed Partheus toward his private office. The walls were covered with framed editions of his newspaper, commemorating the biggest events of recent memory. One read, "Discord Returns! Princesses Powerless!" Another, "Grand Galloping Fiasco: Another Year, Another Disaster."

He began preparing tea with a small hot plate and gleaming copper teapot. Speaking over his shoulder, he began,"The news business is a strange one, Partheus. Events like those which transpired last night are devastating for Equestria, but music to my ears. And it's not just about selling more papers, although we certainly needed the money to be able to pay this month's expenses. No, it's much deeper than that."

He sat down at his desk while waiting for the water to boil, with a rather odd expression on his face. He seemed at once overjoyed and guilt-stricken. "I'm a newspony. I live and breathe catastrophe. As difficult as it is to work all day, all night, and every moment in between, it's worth it to get the word out to my public. It's times like this that I feel truly alive."

He leaned forward, emphasizing the gravity of his words.

"Whatever you've heard about these attacks, it's nothing compared to what actually happened. Less than an hour ago we got our first reputable information about the extent of the Manehattan destruction. Half of the city is in ruins, and Fillydelphia barely escaped annihilation."

The teapot began to sing. The pegasus rose, finished preparing two large mugs of the steaming drink, and set one of them before his friend.

"We're not dealing with a draconnequs with a penchant for chocolate rain. This is an utterly evil, utterly destructive monster." He paused. "You're awfully quiet, my friend. What are you thinking?"

"How does Celestia expect me to stand a chance against Sagittarius if it has the potential to destroy cities?" Partheus unsheathed his sword and placed it on Newsworthy's desk, who looked a little intrigued by this development. "It's very hard to explain, but that case I was given contained this sword, custom made for me, and a note explaining that Celestia wants me to train for if this monster comes to Canterlot." He picked up his tea, his hands trembling slightly, and took a hearty sip. "I don't think Celestia understands how the Human League operates. I'm a messenger, and an injured one at that. If this thing is too much for her best trained soldiers, what chance do I stand?"

He reached into his satchel, pulled out the note he was handed, and placed it on Newsworthy's desk beside the sword. "You can read it for yourself if you want. I'll be figuring out how she expects me to fight this thing if you need me." He slumped back into one of the nearby plush chairs with his mug of tea, his brow heavy with deep thought.

• Like 1

He looked at the blade in reverence. "One of Celestia's imperial swords? She must respect you more than I realized. As far as I know, only a few dozen have ever been made. Each one is completely unique and has its own special magical abilities, enchanted by the princess herself. My guess is that she made it to amplify or channel your magic somehow."

Newsworthy grinned. "You may be powerful, Partheus, but the real challenge with you is being able to control your magical ability." He picked up the letter, sipping his tea as he read. Once finished, he looked over the top of the page at the messenger.

"Here's the thing, Partheus. You have a gift. A gift for magic. Nopony in Equestria can match your raw power, except for the princesses. However, you are both mortal and sworn to their service. I think that they are sending you out as a first defense, so to speak. A temporary meat shield. With you keeping the monster at bay, the princesses will be free to protect the city, and themselves."

He set the letter down, trying to find the right words. "I think that they are afraid of him. If the princesses were to be vanquished or banished, then Sagittarius would be rightful ruler of Equestria. Can you even begin to imagine the tyranny, the cruelty that would result? The entire society would be centered around serving him. However, if you die, then they are unaffected. Yes, they would be saddened, and a great statue would be erected of you, but they would still be in power and Equestria would continue to be the happy, relatively peaceful place it has been for the past thousand years."

He pointed a hoof at Partheus. "My advice is for you to make your own decision of whether to fight him or not. By my estimation, you stand a very good chance of dying while fighting this hunter, especially considering the state you're in after our last adventure." He waved a hoof, dismissively. "I know that your honor code requires you to serve your leaders and defend the helpless, but consider the situation. The princesses handled him before, and they should be able to handle him again. You, on the other hand, are injured, mortal, and aren't even a citizen of Equestria. If you want to go back to Hominopolis now, there's still time."

Besides, he thought grimly, I'm sure Twilight doesn't want her first love to die just days after getting together. Lucky son-of-a-birch to get a mare like her.

Partheus put down his mug of tea. "Most normal men would give up on their superiors to suit their own needs, and I will be the first to admit that I have done such things in my military career. But, I am not going to fight Sagittarius because I have been commanded to by Celestia." He stood from his chair. "I will fight him because I know what would happen to my friends if I didn't." He walked over to the desk and picked up his sword. "Although my stay in Equestria has been a brief one, I have for the first time in my life grown fond of certain individuals such as you and Twilight, and would serve you more willingly as a friend than serve any leader or commanding officer as a pawn."

He raised his sword in the air. "I am sworn to protect my new friends and all they care about with my dying breath. And if that means dying at the hands of a superior opponent, then so be it. I'd rather be a dead hero than a live coward." He pointed his sword forwards, nearly hitting Newsworthy. "It's because of people like you and Twilight that I have a stake in Equestria's future, even if it means that I am ultimately not part of it." He sheathed his sword back into its scabbard. "If I were to run, I would know what I was running from, but where would I be running to? Permanent exile from both Hominopolis and Equestria? Political instability in the Five Realms? The end of the world as we know it? I simply cannot turn back now. I must fight Sagittarius, whether I like it or not."

He sat back down, picked up his mug of tea, and continued to sip it while thinking. "Oh, and thank you for telling me this thing can channel my energy. Now I have a good idea of how I can train myself for Sagittarius." I just need to convince someone into being a willing practise target, he thought.

As he listened, Newsworthy smiled to himself. So he's willing to die for Twilight, now, is he? Of course. Young love. Pfft.

He jerked back when Partheus swung the sword at him. "I hoped that you would say that. Your heart is noble, but you must exercise caution. Combat with Sagittarius is not something to be undertaken without proper preparation. Also, I have no idea what magical abilities the sword actually has. It could enable you to fly, for all I know. You'll need to test its limits before meeting your foe."

With a sudden realization, Newsworthy cocked his head to the side. "Do you have transportation to Canterlot? It just so happens that I'm headed there by chartered chariot this afternoon. I want to conduct some interviews with the refugees from Manehattan and Fillydelphia. Ordinarily, I'd just fly, but I decided not to risk it what with all we went through in the Everfree. You're more than welcome to join me, there's plenty of extra room for you and your luggage."

"You have my word. I will train as hard as I can to make sure I'm ready for when this Sagittarius rears his ugly head. I will learn the inner workings of this sword, and master it's hidden abilities. And most importantly, I will not underestimate him. If he can level cities, he's not one to be trifled with." Partheus stood up again, stretching his arms. "Oh, you're heading to Canterlot as well? Sure, I'll hop on your chariot. The sooner I can get to my new training room, the better."

"Right. See you at noon!" Partheus put down his mug of tea, and walked out of Newsworthy's office into Ponyville, looking for something to effectively kill the time. He noticed a group of three fillies huddled around a rectangular piece of iron, a wooden cylinder, and a doorknob. "Are you sure the spell Twilight showed you actually works, Sweetie Belle?" "Yes, I'm positive, Scootaloo! Mabye we have to align the pieces a little straighter..." "Naw, girls! You gotta say the magic words at the same time! You were way out of sync that time, Scootaloo!" "No I wasn't, Apple Bloom! You were the one going out of... umm, what does 'sync' mean?" "It's short for 'synchronisation'." "What does that mean?" "Do I look like a dictionary to you?"

He approached the bickering trio. "Uh, sorry to intrude on your game, girls, but what exactly are you doing?" Scootaloo smiled. "Hey look, it's Twilight's boyfriend!" Partheus blushed out of embarrassment. "We... aren't together like that. We're just friends. And for the record, my name is Partheus, not 'Twilight's boyfriend'." Scootaloo rolled on the floor laughing. "Hee-hee, 'Par-thee-us', good one... No, but seriously, what is your name?" Partheus slapped his face in disbelief. "Nevermind. Anyway, what are you doing with a bit of iron, some wood, and a doorknob?"

"Twilight showed me how to cast a spell that would turn these ordinary items into..." Sweetie Belle posed dramatically. "... a sword!" Partheus giggled. "Oh really now? And what is this spell, may I ask?" Sweetie Belle then recited the following words:

"Trusty iron, sharpen thy border,

round of wood, a grip be made,

Handle of door, complete thy order,

To forge from magic a mighty blade!"

"My, sounds like some powerful magic right there!" Partheus tried his hardest not to grin. "Could you girls show me this spell in action? I'm curious to see such a formidable incantation in action." "What does 'incantation' mean?" Partheus sighed. "Read a dictionary, will you?" Scootaloo grumbled something about Partheus and Twilight under her breath. The three fillies stood around the items, chanting the verse in unison. "Trusty iron, sharpen thy border..." Suddenly, the rectangular piece of iron lifted off the ground and folded itself into the shape of a blade, edges somewhat sharp. "Round of wood, a grip be made..." The wooden cylinder flew up underneath the blade, screwing itself into the bottom to form a handle. "Handle of door, complete thy order..." The doorknob floated towards the bottom of the cylinder, screwing itself in as well to form the pommel. "To forge from magic a mighty blade!"

There came an intense flash of light from the sword, blinding the three fillies and Partheus for a few seconds. When the light died down, there was a balloon sword sat in the middle of the three fillies where the real sword used to be. "Wha? I don' understand. There should be a real sword here!" "All of THAT, for THIS? What a load!" "I don't understand what went wrong, we said the exact words Twilight said we should..." Pinkie Pie walked past Partheus and the three fillies. "Good morning you three! And a very good morning to you, Twilight's boyfriend!" Partheus sighed heavily. Ugh, he thought, not her too. "Ooh, have you been making balloon shapes? Wow-wee, that's really good, girls! Keep up the good work!" She picked up the balloon sword, swung it around for a bit, before sticking it in her mane and trotting off again.

"Okay, who's been spreading that rumour about me and Twilight around?" The three fillies all looked at Partheus with a guilty look on their face. "Well, uh, you see, uhh..." "It was Gabby Gums! She made it up!" Partheus smirked; he knew who Gabby Gums really was. "Ah, Gabby Gums. Yes, I've heard so much from her. Tell me, is she a unicorn, pegasus, or an earth pony?" After a moment's awkward silence, Scootaloo shot her hoof up. "Oh, I know! She's a pegasus!" Sweetie Belle interjected. "No, she's a unicorn!" Apple Bloom slammed her hoof down. "No, she's an earth pony!" They all locked heads with eachother, then suddenly jerked their heads back and began to panic once they realised that they all said Gabby Gums was their respective race, giving the game away. Partheus laughed.

"Aww, don't feel too bad about it. It's all harmless fun, eh?" He unsheathed his sword and held it out to the three fillies. "I assume you were hoping for something along the lines of this?" Scootaloo's wings immediately sprouted upwards, her eyes sparkling with joy. "Wo-ho-ho, that is one sweet sword! Where did you get it?" Partheus smiled. "This was given to me by Princess Celestia herself as a gift. I lost my old one, so Princess Celestia cast a spell and SHAZAM! This sweet baby appeared." He gave the sword to Scootaloo to swing around. "Say, you don't suppose that the spell Princess Celestia cast to make this sword is the same spell Twilight taught you? Mabye more practise is needed before you start creating swords like this?"

"Hey, you're right! Let's practise some more! Thanks, Nevermind!" Wait, he thought, my name isn't... oh you've got to be kidding me. Scootaloo threw the sword up in the air, tried to catch it, but missed, causing the blade to embed itself into the ground. "Hey, be careful with that! I don't think Princess Celestia is going to give me another one of those." Partheus pulled the sword out of the ground, cleaned the blade with a cloth he conjured from his satchel, and sheathed the sword. "See you later, and good luck mastering that spell!" Partheus casually walked off, leaving the three fillies sat in a circle. "So, uhh... who's going to grab another piece of iron?" I will, I will!" "You got it last time! I want to get it!" "I wanna get the doorknob again, if that's alright with everypony." "No, I want to get the doorknob this time!"

Newsworthy spent the rest of the morning in a flurry of to-do lists, articles, tea, lost keys, and raspberry tarts. All the while, he listened to the breaking news from the major cities of Equestria on his large, ornate desk radio. As each new bit of information came in, he took note of it on a large yellow pad.

The time passed all too quickly. Suddenly he gasped, grabbed his briefcase and duffle bag, and rushed to the newsroom. Satisfied that his assistants would be only marginally likely to burn the place down while he was gone, he galloped out the front door and looked from side to side. Partheus was nowhere to be seen. He sighed, glancing at the sun. Celestia's orb was at it's zenith. High noon.

A bronze sky-chariot burst through the clouds, coming to rest before the newspaper office. It was drawn by two majestic yellow pegasi. The closer one spoke, in a very thick Manehattan accent. "Chariot to Canterlot for a Mr. Newsworthy?"

"That's me," Newsworthy replied. "There's another passenger coming along, he should be here shortly."

"We've no time to waste," the other pegasus said, in an irritable, nasal voice. "Time is money."

"Yes, of course. Let me just load my luggage. I'm sure he'll be here soon."

Partheus looked up at the sky. The sun was shining it's brightest, hanging directly over his head. Noon, he thought. I better head back and get on the carriage to Canterlot. He dashed through Ponyville, keeping his eye out for Newsworthy or a carriage. While he was running, he bumped into a grape-red pony holding a tankard of what appeared to be cider. The tankard went flying through the air, but the grape-red pony jumped up from a prone position to catch the tankard before any of it's precious contents were spilled.

"Hey, *hick*, watch where you're going, you silly pirate monkey!" Partheus was confused. "'Pirate monkey'? Ma'am, don't take this the wrong way, but I think you've had enough cider..." The grape-red pony swung her tankard at Partheus, narrowly missing his face. "ENOUGH?! I'LL TELL YOU WHEN I'VE HAD ENOUGH!" Partheus stepped back from her, hoping not to get a face full of cider and splinters. "Now now, I meant no harm, hehehe. Just... put down the tankard and let us talk like adults..." The grape-red pony threw her cider at Partheus, drenching him in alcohol. "Never! ...oh wait, *hick* now I'll have to go get another drink, *hick*... hold on, I know you!"

"Really now?" Partheus was resisting the urge to deck the grape-red pony. "Yes, *hick*, you're Twilight's boyfriend, aren't you? I bet she's thrilled to finally have a-" Partheus simply couldn't take it any more. He lunged at the grape-red pony and socked her in the jaw. She was knocked clean off her feet, and flew into a pile of barrels, kicking up a mountain of dust. When it settled, the grape-red pony was sat there, rubbing her cheek. "Oww! What was that for, *hick*?" Partheus looked at his hand; that felt strangely soft, he thought. What the heck are these ponies made of?

"Me and Twilight aren't together, you got that? I'm getting sick and tired of having complete strangers walk up to me and say 'Ooh, you and Twilight are together, eh? Nudge nudge, wink wink?' It stopped being funny a long time ago." The grape-red pony looked at Partheus sadly. "Oh, I get it! *hick* Sore subject, I got you. It's tough breaking up, *hick*, I know..." At that, Partheus ran towards the grape-red pony, and punched a neat hole in one of the remaining barrels. Cider began to flow out from the hole, and on to the grape-red pony's face. "There. Consider it an apology gift." The grape-red pony opened her mouth wide to take in all of the cider that was currently raining down on her, gargling the cider in drunken joy.

Partheus walked off, leaving the scene before anyone else bothered helping up the grape-red pony, or asking him bothersome questions like why he punched a drunk pony in the face in the first place. He noticed a chariot up ahead, with Newsworthy standing by it looking up at the sky with the same expression one would look at his watch to check the time when someone is late for something. "Hey, don't leave without me!" He ran towards the chariot, quickly dumped his satchel and sword in the trunk, and hopped inside the carriage. "Sorry I'm late, I got... cider tracked..."

" 'Cider tracked,' indeed," Newsworthy shook his head in disapproval. The chariot lurched forward as the pegasi jumped, launching into the sky. In seconds, they were high above the clouds. The air whipped past them, causing Newsworthy to have to hold his hat with a hoof.

"You had a real morning on the town, I see. I could maybe understand if it were late at night, or maybe if you had a weekend off, but this is serious. What were you thinking? You'll need all your mental faculties at full alert." He passed Partheus a towel with another sidelong glance.

Just then, a bright streak flashed through the sky. Newsworthy looked up just in time to see a blue pegasus with a rainbow tail do a large loop and come back to hover next to the chariot.

"Oh hey Newsworthy, what's up?"

"Good afternoon, Rainbow Dash. Partheus and I are headed to Canterlot. There's big news brewing there, and I want to be the first to put it in print."

"Partheus?" Dash looked at the human, eyes narrowing. "So, you're Twilight's new boyfriend, are you?"

She flew over to him, her face nearly touching his. She pointed a hoof at him angrily. "You'd better stay away from my friend. That is, if you don't want your face bucked off."

"Rainbow!" Newsworthy gasped, blushing. "This is a matter between Partheus and Twilight." He looked at Partheus, apologetically. "I'm sorry. I was hoping to be able to bring this up at a more opportune time, but since Rainbow Dash mentioned it... what exactly is going on between you and Twilight?"

Partheus' eye twitched. He began to breathe deeply, the veins on his temples bulged, and his face went red. "You... can't be serious..." He looked at Newsworthy scornfully, his eyes bloodshot from his growing rage. "You believe in that stupid rumour as well?! Even you, Rainbow Dash?!" He clenched his fists together, red lightning forming around his body. "I swear, if they weren't so darn young, I'd have already pounded those little whelps into dust by now!" He suddenly realised what he was doing, and stopped venting his anger. "Ahem, sorry about that little outburst just then, I've had just about everyone else ask me the same thing today, and it's starting to get to me." He leaned back into his seat, looking up into the sky as he tried to figure out how to break the news to them.

"Okay, I'm going to have to tell you guys how it really is. Me and Twilight are not together. I know what Gabby Gums said, and I know how appealing the idea of a strange creature from another country befriending the local bookworm must be to you all. But, the simple fact is, we aren't interested in one another... I think, anyway. I don't know if Twilight's interested or not, but I know for sure that I'm not." Newsworthy gave Partheus a doubtful look. "She's a completely different species to me, for crying out loud! I know you guys are totally fine with inter-special relationships, but where I'm from, you just don't go there! And it gets even worse when you consider the implications of taking our friendship one step further..." He thought back to a recurring nightmare of his involving Twilight. 'Why do you think they're called cram sessions?' 'NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!' Never again, he thought. Never again...

"Anyway, point is, we are not a couple, and we probably won't be a couple any time soon. Perhaps it could happen in the unlikely event that some nefarious pony has the ability to make people fall in love with one another, but that's just ridiculous, right?" He looked at Newsworthy and Rainbow Dash, who gave each other a cool and smirking look. "Right, guys?" I hate it when Newsworthy does that look to someone else, he thought. It's code for 'antics ahoy'...

Newsworthy cowered when it looked like Partheus would fry them all with lightning. However, he then listened carefully to what the human messenger had to say, and felt ashamed for thinking ill of his friend. Of course, it was unthinkable for Twilight to be dating a human. How could I have been so thoughtless? Newsworthy mused. I suppose that rumors are like that. All too easy to believe without evidence, and possibly very damaging to a friendship.

"You're right, this entire situation was ridiculous from the start," Newsworthy began. "I'm sorry for thinking such a thing, Partheus."

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. "Whatever. Deny it all you want. I think that Twilight likes you."

Newsworthy facehoofed. "What makes you say that? Please tell me you're joking."

"Well ..." Rainbow Dash said, in a confidential tone, "She told me that she enjoyed having you around. That you were one of the kindest, most thoughtful people she's ever met. It's not much, but we're talking about Twilight Sparkle, here. She never says that type of thing about anybody."

Great. Newsworthy thought. Just when I thought we had this situation all resolved.

"You never know, you big lug. You might just learn to like us ponies," Rainbow Dash said, playfully. "At least give one of us mares a chance before you have to go back to boring old Hominopolis."

Oh no, he thought. My nightmare is becoming real. She actually does like me like that! This is just getting worse and worse. Well, at least she's busy in Ponyville doing tons of work, so she'll be out of my hair for a while. And what was with Rainbow Dash just then? 'Give us a chance'? What is she... oh sweet muffins, not her, too! What have you gotten yourself into, Partheus? If humans had cutie marks, mine would be of me jumping out of a frying pan and into a fire... Right, that's it; I'm hitting the cider once we get to Canterlot. Sagittarius can wait. Mabye if I'm lucky, the alcohol will kill the brain cells responsible for these stupid thoughts...

Partheus noticed Newsworthy facehoofing when Rainbow Dash blurted out the truth. Well, he thought, at least I'm not alone in thinking this entire set-up is ridiculous. It shows that I'm still sane... I think. "Well, Rainbow Dash, we'll have to see what happens in the future. All I know is, right now, I'm not interested." He turned to Newsworthy, who was still in shock that Rainbow Dash said what she did. "So, to change the subject, what's the latest from Fillydelphia and Manehatten?"

Newsworthy's expression turned very grave. "Nothing encouraging, I'm afraid. The news about the attacks continues to ..."

He was interrupted by Rainbow Dash jumping up, flaring her wings and pumping her hooves, ready for a fight. "Somepony attacked Equestria!? Just wait till I get my hooves on them ..."

Newsworthy quickly explained the basics of what had happened to the overeager mare. "Your loyalty to your country is appreciated, Rainbow Dash, but what we need here is caution and planning. He's very dangerous ..."

"No!" She was adamant. "Let me at him! I'll sonic-rainboom his flank back to the sky where he belongs!"

"Settle down, Dash. You're being ridiculous."

She sat on the bench in a huff. "Well, somepony needs to show him who's boss. Why not me?"

"For one thing," Newsworthy said, "He's a magical foe, and you are a pegasus. You've got a lot of wing power, but that can't save you from his spells. If by some twist of fate you do fight Sagittarius, you'll need a powerful magical shield."

"Hmph," she sniffed.

Turning to Partheus, Newsworthy continued. "We do have some new information. They finally got a few radio towers working in Manehattan, and I listened to the reports all morning. Hundreds of thousands are dead or missing, and what wasn't destroyed in the initial attack is being slowly eaten away by a strange type of magical balefire."

He removed his notepad from his bag and glanced at it. "So far, the unicorns sent to deal with the situation have only been able to slow the destructive process. They think they can figure out a way to counter the spell, but it will take time. It may be too late to save any of the great city."

"Meanwhile, we finally have the report of how they stopped The Hunter from attacking Fillydelphia. As he advanced on the city, some powerful magic user cast a terribly powerful spell to send him running back into the wasteland, at least for the time being. Disturbingly, the force of the magic ripped her apart as it took effect. None of the witnesses can identify exactly what the spell was, so it was apparently one of her own creation. One of the theoretical magicians interviewed on the broadcast said he thought it was some type of confundium spell, to confuse him and throw him off of his course. Another thought she just used some type of brute force spell, perhaps an ice ray or wind blast."

In the distance, they could see the spires of the royal Canterlot castle peeking over the cloud cover.

"So sorry to interrupt," a sarcastic nasal voice called from the front of the carriage. "But we're getting close to Canterlot, and need to know where that thing," he glanced at Partheus, "is getting off. Also, somepony owes us for the rainbow mare's fare. We're not in the habit of giving free rides."

Hmm, he thought, so this Sagittarius can use magic, and I'll need some form of magical barrier to protect myself. I'll need to learn some magical theory and preferably some decent magical protection spells. I'm sure Twilight wouldn't... no, the last thing I need is to spend more time with her right now. I'll have to seek out another willing unicorn skilled in that sort of thing. I'll have to watch out for his balefire spell. The last thing I need is to be slowly eaten alive by magic fire. And, I wonder what that ultra-powerful spell was? It was either a non-lethal knockback spell, or a highly intense blast of magical energy. I'd rather go for the lethal option, personally. I'll root around in the Royal Canterlot Archives and see what I can find...

"So, Cassanova, where you headed?" The chariot driver was beginning to lose his patience. "Don't think you're getting a freebie, rosey-eyes. If you ain't in the air, you gotta pay the fare." Partheus went to root around in his satchel, but remembered that he left it in the trunk. "Rainbow Dash, could you be a good... friend, and get my satchel from the trunk?" Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes, flew behind the trunk, grabbed his satchel, and flew back into the chariot. Partheus rummaged in his satchel and procured a small pile of bits. "So, how much for Rainbow Dash?" The chariot driver smirked. "Sorry, we don't sell food on this ride." "Oh, my bad, I guess I should have said that in 'chariotese'. Ahem, 'What's the fare for rosey-eyes'?"

The chariot driver grumbled something nasty under his breath. "Well, that'd be five bits normally, but I'm afraid you'll have to pay two extra bits 'respect tax'." Partheus grunted something nasty under his breath too, and handed the chariot driver seven bits. The chariot flew the three of them to the gates to Canterlot, landing smoothly by a stall selling apples. "Here we are, Canterlot. You getting off here, Cassanova, or would you like a long haul flight to Tartarus? You'd fit in great there." Partheus grumbled something nasty under his breath again and handed the chariot driver ten bits. "Yeah yeah, I'm getting off here, smart guy. Keep the darn change." Partheus, Newsworthy, and Rainbow Dash all dismounted from the chariot, watching the chariot fly off into the distance.

"Wow, what an ass." Rainbow Dash turned to Partheus. "Hey! No need to sink to his level!" Partheus smiled. "Oh don't worry, I was actually referring to how much he looked like a donkey." Rainbow Dash walked behind Partheus. "Wow, what an ass..." Partheus wheeled around. "Hey! That's what I said!" Rainbow Dash blushed. "Yeah, heh, totally copying what you said, mmm hmm..." Before Partheus could question Newsworthy about where they were headed, he caught a glimpse of a purple unicorn with piles of paper tucked underneath two massive saddlebags, running as fast as she could up the path behind them in the direction of Princess Celestia's palace. No way, he thought. There is no way she's done already! Oh no, what I do? Mabye she won't notice me as she runs past...

"Oh, hey Partheus! Hey Newsworthy! Hey Rainbow Dash! You will not believe what I've discovered just now! It'll change everything! ...Partheus, why are you hiding behind Rainbow Dash?"

A bit peeved at the charioteer's rudeness, Newsworthy still tried to stop Partheus from paying the fare for everyone, but couldn't get his wallet out of his briefcase fast enough. He shrugged and slung his bags across his back.

He looked up in time to see Rainbow Dash eyeing Partheus, raising an eyebrow. Oh goddesses. Her too!? It's worse than I thought.

When Twilight ran by and asked about Partheus, Newsworthy tried to cover for his friend. "I'm sure he's just ... picking up his luggage!" Trying to change the subject, he asked, "What is it you found?"

Twilight sprang forward, looking back over her shoulder. "No time to explain! Come on, all of you!"

They ran after the galloping unicorn as fast as they could. In less than ten minutes, they had reached the palace steps. Panting, Twilight showed the guards a special pass with the royal seal. The huge palace doors swung inward, and she motioned for her friends to follow her inside. She led them down several long corridors decorated with tapestries, and up an enormous flight of stairs. They stopped before a huge golden door, which Twilight said led into the throne room. "The princesses are expecting you," a pompous butler stated, opening the door.

Princesses Celestia and Luna were waiting for them, as tall and regal as ever. The ponies bowed obsequiously.

"Welcome to Canterlot, my little ponies," Celestia said gravely. However, she couldn't help but smile as she added, "And a warm welcome to you also, Partheus of Hominopolis." Turning to Twilight, she said, "I understand that your astronomical studies have not been in vain, my most faithful student? What is it you wish to tell me?"

Twilight took out all of the paper from her bulging saddlebags and arranged them in a stack, towering over everyone, even Luna and Celestia. "Well, you can read all of this for yourself in your own time if you want, but to sum up everything here in a nutshell, Sagittarius is going to work his way around the settlements of Equestria in a particular fashion, using the Zodiac to determine his next location." She pulled out a single piece of paper from around two thirds of the way up the stack, trying not to disturb the rest of the tower as she did. Twilight held it out in front of everyone, revealing a map of the stars, annotated in complex gibberish that no one but Twilight understood.

"So, if you look here, he attacked Manehatten first, which corresponded with the rise of the sign Aquarius in the sky. Manehatten held the wingpower record for the water tornado three years in a row, which obviously relates to Aquarius being the Water Carrier. Then, he attacked Fillydelphia, which corresponded with the rising of Capricorn. The renowned minotaur-come-therapist Iron Will was making his second tour of the place when Sagittarius attacked. Iron Will is often helped by goats in his acts, which is obviously linked to Capricorn being the Goat."

"This leads us to where he's probably going to strike next. It will be somewhere that has something to do with hunting, because it's Saggitarius himself, the Hunter, that comes next on the Zodiac. After that..." Twilight hesitated as she fumbled around with the chart, trying to read it. "The next sign is Scorpio, the Scorpion, which means it'll have something to do with scorpions, or something you'd normally associate with scorpions. And after that..." Twilight frowned. "What is it, my student? Tell us!" "The sign is Libra, the Scales, meaning it'll be a place of great justice and nobility. Sadly, I think we all know where that is..." Everyone else thought for a second before gasping in unison. "Canterlot?!"

Newsworthy's initial shock subsided quickly. He was a bit skeptical of the unicorn's idea. "Begging your pardon, Twilight, but you may or may not be right. You're drawing very tenuous conclusions based on scant evidence. How would Sagittarius have known about the Manehatten water tornado record, and even if he did, why would he care? Also, Iron Will may be a pretty good motivational speaker, but how would The Hunter know who he was?"

Luna nodded, and turned to Twilight questioningly. "The newspony raises some valid points, but I'm sure that you have more to tell us. Your theory must be more substantiated, considering how many papers you're carrying."

"Not only that," said Celestia with a smile, "but considering what he did the last time, we expected Sagittarius would show up here sooner or later. The real question is, can we determine when?"

"But... but... it all fits so well... I don't... understand..." Twilight scanned her work thoroughly, tearing out seemingly random pieces of paper from the tower, reading each one carefully. "Hmm, well... err... one moment... ah... oh dear..." She pulled out papers at such alarming speeds, that the tower of paper collapsed, falling on top of her. She fought her way out of the mountain of work she was buried under, looking disappointed. "That's all I could find out. All of this is just measurements I've made, and it all points to the same conclusion." She looked morosely at the chart covered in annotations. "I'm sorry to waste your time like that, you guys..."

Partheus remained silent. She's crazy, he thought. How can you track the movements of a being like Sagittarius by looking at the stars, anyway? It's absurd, even by Equestria's high standards of absurdity. I do feel bad for her though, spending all that time on something, only for it to turn out fruitless. Strange, it's almost as if Twilight was rushing her work. But Twilight never rushes her work. Why would she rush... no, it can't be... can it?

Did I cause her to rush her work? She caught wind of me being in Canterlot, so she rushed her work to show off in front of me and Celestia? That'd explain why she finished so early... Gah, look at her! She's all upset now. I want to comfort her, but she still has a crush on me, and the last thing I want to do is feed that amorous fire of hers. But I can't just leave her on her own like that! Oh man, this is getting more and more awkward every second! I've got to say something, something cool and level-headed... "Err, hey, don't worry about it, Twilight. All you've got to is, err... Put more elbow grease into it, and it'll turn out great, heh! At least you haven't got stars in your eyes, am I right? Hehehehe..." The most awkward silence possible soon followed. Smooth moves, moron, he thought.