A walk in the woods [OPEN]

Warbrony

Cloud sighed, "Zephyr Shimmers," He finished the soup and put the knee guard down next to him. "Well that was good." He got past his annoyance of his father's name and looked up at the sky.

Echo was dead silent. He was locked in a thousand yard stare.

"I knew him. He was a squadron leader. He was a good soldier, but wasn't all there. He did what he was told and only that." Echo said with anger in his voice. "He was in charge of my court marshalling. He got me discharged."

Echo's head hang low. Obvious signs of regret, guilt, and anger were apparent on his face.

"I'm sorry he left you."

Echo's face swelled with tears. He swung his head away from his friends. He couldn't let them see him like this.

He smiled at Insanity and got her a blanket. His vision blurred, he tried to change the subject.

"So was everypony's soup good?" Echo said, trying to hide his emotions.

Cloud was silent for a bit, "Sorry he discharged you." Cloud rolled over and tried to sleep, his back was to the fire. He knew he was about to fall asleep but he stayed awake, just trying to keep it together. Last time he got angry about his dad he ended up having to pay property damage. He hoped that Insanity was asleep so that she wouldn't have to deal with what ever emotions were happening around her. After about twenty minutes he fell asleep.

"I can deal with my discharge. I was going to leave soon anyway." Echo said with sorrow. "I was upset for you. Nopony should have to deal witht that. Have a nice rest you two. I'll stay up a while longer."

Echo sat on a log and looked out at the trail. He heard wolves howling in the distance. He stood up and looked at his friends. He smiled lightly and prepared for a night with the wolves.

Cloud awoke to find himself chewing on his satchel, "Eww." He said quietly. He looked around and saw that the fire had died out overnight and Insanity was still sleeping. It wasn't until he had sat up that he realized how cold it was. He snuck over to the remaining embers and found they were still warm and after a few minutes he fell back to sleep.

Echo paced back and forth through the camp. He flapped his wings every so often. The wolves continued howling in the distance, getting closer and closer. Echo grew nervous as the howling grew louder.

"What are they up to?" Echo whispered to himself. "There's so many of them."

Sweat ran down Echo's face as he listened to the wolves and looked at his friends sleeping next to the smoldered fire pit. He went over to the fire pit and tried lighting another fire to keep the wolves at bay. Echo couldn't get over making Cloud upset. He decided to give him a few of his old pieces of air force equipment. After the wolf pack was dealt with, of course.

Morning came and Echo was looking through his food supply. He looked at Insanity, who he knew was not asleep,

"What would you like for breakfast, Insanity?" He asked with a smile.

Echo started a fresh fire and took out an old beat up frying pan. He wondered if he should try to wake Cloud or just let him sleep. After upsetting him like that, Echo wasn't sure if he'd want to hang around much longer.

The wolves had gone, Echo didn't know why, but they only circled his camp. Never coming in close. It was a strange phenomenon he had never experienced before as wolves usually would have been all over two sleeping ponies and a very distracted one.

But Echo decided not to worry about it and just start the day. He walked over to Cloud and very lightly shook him to try to wake him. He then went over to Insanity and shook her a bit too.

Echo giggled a bit and put his wing around Insanity.

"Yep." He said reassuringly. "It's just me. Have a good night? I would've let you use a bedroll you know?"

Echo was starting to worry about Cloud, who hadn't budged since he was shaken.

Cloud was awake, but he remained still until he was sure the others were awake. He rolled over and saw the fire. After a yawn he spoke; "Good morning." He scratched his ear, "Did I hear someone mention breakfast?"

Echo grabbed the blanket in his teeth and pulled it off of Insanity, pulling her a bit closer on his wing.

"Haha. I think Cloud summed it up pretty good. " Echo told her. "I feel like an idiot for not offering you one. You're welcome to take one with you of you'd like."

Echo blushed from not offering his friends bedrolls. It had been so long since anyone stayed the night at his camp, he was a bit rusty on his manners. He hummed a little tune as he walked with Insanity to the food storage to find something to eat.

Echo released Insanity as he pulled out some apples and cinnamon . He cut the apples and put some cinnamon on them and grilled them.

"I figured you may like something sweet." Echo said happily. "should be done so-"

Echo stopped as he heard something russeling in the bushes. It didnt sound like wolves. It was to big and too fast. It sounded like a pony.

"Stay here." Echo told his friends as he flew off to the source of the noise. He disappeared into the thick brush and could faintly be heard muttering to somepony.

Cloud turned to Insanity, "So what are you doing out here anyway? Its a little strange for anyone to be out here." He took a bite of the food and smiled, "That is, if you don't mind me asking."