[Fillydelphia] Mirror Mirrors of the Hall [OPEN]

Frain Breeze

It was a beautiful, cool evening at the Fillydelphia carnival. There were bright lights, games to play, trinkets and toys to buy, rides to go on, shows to see, and overall just a lot to do. Rappatat had come down for a night of fun, leaving a friend in charge of the lighthouse. There were of course tons of non-Fillydelphia ponies around at the carnival, so she couldn't really expect anypony to understand her normal horse-code communication. To make up for this, the voiceless earth pony brought a pencil and paper with her to "speak", keeping them in a small blue saddlebag at her side.

The mute pony explored the carnival at first, making a "hit list" of things to check out before the night was over, but something soon caught her eye- The hall of mirrors! It had been forever since she last saw one of those, and she didn't want to miss her chance. Rappatat eagerly ran inside, making faces and playing with the distorted mirrors much like she did when she was a filly.

Semolina smiled to herself as she trotted down the street. Were she able to, she'd be humming a happy tune; the young mare had returned to Fillydelphia only a couple of days ago, and she was taking some time to get reacquainted with her hometown. Intending to stay for about a week, she had spent the first couple of days with her parents, catching up on what she had missed since she moved out to set up a place of her own. Today though she decided to go out and see her home city once more; Fillydelphia was a very different town from Trottingham, and she often missed it.

She seemed to have chosen the perfect time to visit as well; the annual carnival was here, and the middle of the city was abuzz with excited ponies, games, food stalls, music, and just about any sort of attraction one could imagine. Her small green saddlebag was filled with anything she might need, her pens and notebook, as well as enough bits to properly enjoy the festivities.

On a whim she purchased herself a sheet of tickets, and headed for the first thing she saw, a house of mirrors. It had been a long time since she'd had fun in one of these things, so she curiously wandered into the large mirror-filled tent. The interior was laid out like a maze, with many of the mirrors warped and distorted in odd ways to play with ponies reflections, Others were tinted funny colors, and even a few were simply regular mirrors to add to the confusion. Even the floor and ceiling were mirrored too, although the floor had plenty of scuff marks on it.

Semolina giggled silently as she wandered the halls, amused by the strange and silly ways her appearance changed and twisted, looking from mirror to mirror. She paused at one particularly odd one, mostly because it didn't seem to do all that much. looking at it head on the only thing that seemed different was that the colors were slightly different; the pony in the mirror had a blond mane and blue eyes and saddlebag, She tilted her head slowly, confused by the odd reflection. It seemed out of place amongst the sillier mirrors around them.

(Either a piece of transparent glass like a window, or there's no mirror there)

Rappatat continued aimlessly down the halls, just having fun with her reflections. She tilted her head as she encountered a simpler mirror that only seemed to swap a few colors around- the eyes were more of a purple shade, the mane was brown, and the saddlebag green. She gave a shrug, then started to turn to continue on her way. Now, however, something drastic happened- the mirror image didn't move! Rappatat halted her movement, placing her hoof back on the ground as she looked harder at the reflection. They surely must be upping the ante this year- this was the first time she'd seen any tricks like this in the hall of mirrors...

Semolina let out a silent yelp of shock when her reflection moved, in a way that definitely wasn't her. Eyes wide she stepped back, looking over the reflection slowly. It was definitely very different from the usual mirror tricks. She looked around, not sure if she was seeing things as she gathered her composure.

Stepping forward she slowly leaned in to place a hoof on the mirror. Her hoof reached further, and further as she leaned in, until her hoof encountered nothing and she fell forward awkwardly. at this point it sank home that this was not, in fact, a mirror at all, just an opening in the wall. and strangely enough this was a different pony in front of her, despite the similarities in appearance.

Blushing a little she looked up, giving a shy smile.

Rappatat watched in awe as her reflection took on a shocked expression, then reached forward. It reached further and further... and then landed in a heap when it lost its balance. Rappatat gave a long pause, then opened her mouth with a silent laugh before putting her hoof to her mouth to hold back a snicker. She finally realized what was going on now! Rappatat gave a playful little wave, then reached a hoof out to help the other, incredibly similar pony, up.

Semolina blushed a little bit, taking the hoof. Once she was on her feet she let out a silent giggle of her own, before looking around to see if anypony else had seen. Still it seemed like they were mostly alone in this part of the maze. She looked over the other pony, noting that her cutie mark was different as well, a circle with several lines through it, it seemed. She had no clue what it was supposed to mean, but quickly shrugged that off. If it came down to it she was sure she'd find out sooner or later.

Quickly she pulled out her notepad and flipped through a couple of pages, looking for one specific message amongst the pages of pre-written short messages that came up often in conversation. Finding the one she wanted she picked it up in her teeth, a blush and a smile on her cheeks.

-Thanks, Sorry about that.- The page said. It was a message she didn't use very often, true, but it still came up every now and then if she ended up tripping or bumping into somepony.

Rappatat helped the mare to her hooves. This time their actions did mirror each other - Rappatat looked over her counterpart, taking note of her cutie mark. This pony obviously had to be some kind of baker, judging by the bread cutie mark.

What this pony did next shocked her, however. Instead of talking, the other pony brought up a paper stating what she wanted to say, obviously written well in advance. It was a trick she herself commonly used when she was dealing with ponies that didn't know horse code. This had her really curious now, so she took out her own notepad and quickly scribbled a message of her own. She held the note up to the other pony. "Can you speak?"

Semolina's jaw dropped, her notepad clattering to the floor. She blinked a few times, tilting her head a little bit, wondering if this was some sort of joke. After a few long moments she shook her head slowly, eyes still wide and apprehensive, as she picked her notebook back up, flipping to a blank page. Still eyeing the other pony every now and then she quickly wrote down a message in rather shaky writing.

-No, I was very ill as a child. Can you speak either?- was written out on the page, She held it up for the other pony, very confused. A part of her was very suspicious, wondering if this were some sort of cruel prank somehow. She knew it wasn't very likely; the last time anypony had teased her about her voice was when she was a filly in school, but even now there was a slight nagging doubt in the back of her mind.

Rappatat was amazed. She knew mute ponies were rare, so the chance of finding one so similar to herself must have been truly preposterous. She thought she had seen everything from her post at the lighthouse, but now she was beginning to doubt that.

She shook her head in response to the mare's note, then composed another message. She held up her new note for the other pony to see. "No, I was born this way. I usually use horse code to talk, so everypony calls me Rappatat." She waited a moment for the other pony to read to the end of her message, then began tapping her hoof on the floor to spell out "Hello" in horse code to demonstrate.

Semolina was thunderstruck. This was really another mute pony, not some sort of joke... For a few moments she didn't know what to make of it, the suspicion gone from her eyes, replaced by a look of wonder. She nodded a little at Rappatat's message, ears perking at the sound of her hoof tapping against the mirrored floor. She didn't know any code herself, but she had to admit it was a clever idea.

-I was very sick as a little filly, lost my voice- Was her reply, another pre-written page. Then she grabbed up her pen in her teeth again and hastily began writing.

-Sorry I don't really know any horse code, I just get by with this pad. Call me Semolina!- The writing was shaky, although now from excitement and hurrying than anything else. -This is SO weird, I thought you were a reflection at first.-

She held up the pad, a smile pulling at her cheeks a little bit, what were the odds of two nearly identical mute ponies meeting like this?

Rappatat read Semolina's note, then nodded with a big grin. She wrote another, holding it up for her to see. "I thought it was some kind of magic trick when you moved differently than I did. I guess instead of a trick I found a new friend? I've never even met another mute pony."

With a silent giggle, Rappatat added to her message and showed it again. "Maybe we could try fooling with other ponies here at the carnival."

Semolina blushed at the idea of meeting a new friend; it wasn't an easy task without a voice, but she was hardly one to say no. She smiled broadly at the idea, especially having a friend who was so very similar to her.

When Rappatat added to her message she read it over quickly, before thinking for a moment, she wasn't much for pulling pranks, but this was too good an opportunity to pass up. Giggling silently as well she nodded eagerly to the idea, this would be fun... as soon as they found their way out of the mirror maze.

Rappatat set down her notepad and went to write more, but lost hold of her pencil. She turned for a moment to retrieve it, then resumed writing. She held up her note, not realizing she was now facing a directly at a mirror instead of Semolina. Rappatat looked confused for a moment, trying to decipher the gibberish on the "other pony"'s notepad before noticing her mistake. She blushed and did a quick facehoof, then turned to face Semolina with her note. "What should we do first?"

Semolina laughed hard at Rappatat's mistake, although the only sound was her occasional gasp for breath. Taking a moment to catch her breath and calm down, she picked up her notepad and scribbled quickly in it.

-Not entirely sure, never done much pranking- She wrote, a thoughtful look on her face. She wanted to do something fun, but also didn't want to be too cruel to any ponies they didn't know; it wouldn't be fair to ruin somepony's experience at the fair for just a laugh.

-Maybe mess with one of the food vendors? What do you think we could do?-

(if we can get a third pony in the RP we could pull a prank or two on them I suppose, open to any ideas you've got too!)

Rappatat put her hoof to her chin as she thought. They could have fun with some of the food vendors, maybe show up twice in line and such, but that could only go so far. She wrote out a reply to Semolina.

She held up her note, a slight smirk on her face. "Are there any rides that make ponies dizzy? Maybe they could end up seeing double..."

(OOC: Sorry for the delay. I don't have a set direction on this RP at the moment. I think I'm going to mark this thread "Open" unless you have any issue with it)

(I don't have any problems with that ^^)

Semolina pondered for a moment, thinking over various rides she had passed. There were plenty that she had seen that spun ponies around, many in several directions at once. There was one however that came to mind that seemed to produce more dizzy ponies than the others. With a coy grin and a nod she packed away her notepad and gave a "follow me" gesture with her head to her new friend.

Quickly she set off at a gallop which proved to be a poor idea when still in the Mirror Maze. After shaking away the dizziness of running smack into a transparent mirror, She carefully made her way out of the maze, being sure Rappatat was with her the whole time. She led her to a spinning ride that seemed to be spinning ponies every which way, the air filled with delighted and terrified shouts and screams. The best part was, most of the ponies who exited seemed to be smiling, but very dizzy. (also a few who were a tad nauseous.)

Semolina turned to her friend, grinning as if to say "hows this?"

(I almost wanna think its the pony equivalent of one of these: http://www.joyrides.com/cedar_point/photos/chaos.jpg )