[Germaney] A trip, Unter-grund [Invite-Only]

Halide

"Yeah, a real hole in the wall, isn't it?" Gilda agreed with something of an oddly-placed smirk."Eh, but I've slept in worse places. Much worse," ...Well, clouds weren't the coziest things to nap on, being rather mobile and cold to the touch. However, four walls and a roof still sounded like it''d beat a bramble-bush nest. A yawn, and Gilda continued. "Besides...After a night like that one, I'm so tired I could probably crash just about anywhere."

"One hard crash after a long night, comin' up. Or goin' down, if you wanna be more literal." A crummy joke from the pegasus to her gryphon travel-companion was all that passed between them after that. Thereafter, a slightly chipped hoof pushed open the heavy doorway that blocked them from entering the inn before them; unlocked doors were simple obstacles to pass, and soon enough, Ignition was walking in a bit lazily, relaxing herself a little more as the warmer air of the inn washed about its visitors.

Fortunately, getting into the building doesn't make it look any worse than it had appeared on approach. It was slightly less crummy on the inside, for that matter - a newish-looking floor devoid of too many unsightly hoof-marks or claw-gougings, a desk that was so solid and heavy it had sank just a tiny bit into the wooden flooring it sat on, a set of oil-lamps that had failed to leak or set fire to anything around them. There were even a couple portraits hanging behind the desk that seemed wholly unmarred by thrown drink or wayward debris from angry customers. That all aside, there was a somewhat tired-looking earthpony sitting behind the counter who managed to throw on a reasonably cheerful disposition as the heavy oak door swung wide.

"Guten Morgen!" Came the reasonably chipper greeting of the pony at the desk, offering both Ignition and Gilda a friendly smile.

"Man, is it 'good morning' already? Sheesh. Just a two-bed for me'n her 'till noon." Ignition replied, her voice having lost a significant amount of edge over the course of the evening.

"Oh, jah. Sun rises, it's good morning! But let me to get you a room, just a moment!" The Germane pony's Equestrian wasn't perfect, but it was probably a lot easier for Gilda to understand than the germane growling of the bouncers over at Untergrund. Either way, the goldenrod pony ducked behind the counter, fetching the rooming list. A bit of reading and a slow "Errrm..." were all that they'd get for a few moments. Ignition throws Gilda a raised eyebrow, a touch unimpressed with the service.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"One hard crash after a long night, comin' up. Or goin' down, if you wanna be more literal."

Gilda just smiled wordlessly at her friend's bad joke and followed her into the inn. It looked a little less run down on the inside, thankfully. She still wasn't expecting great things from their room, but it made her adjust her expectations at least a little from the bottom wrung of the quality service ladder. Either way, it still didn't really matter. She honestly felt about then that she'd be able to pass out on the dirt outside if that's what was needed. She approached the front desk with Ignition, eager to get to the room.

"Guten Morgen!"

"Man, is it 'good morning' already? Sheesh. Just a two-bed for me'n her 'till noon."

"Oh, jah. Sun rises, it's good morning! But let me to get you a room, just a moment! Errrm..."

The cheerful pony receptionist had a quick pleasant exchange with Ignition before evidently deciding to take her sweet time. Gilda rolled her eyes as Ignition looked back toward her, evidently not impressed with the speed of the transaction either. Gilda gave a sigh; she wasn't about to put up with this, not when she was this exhausted.

"Hey pony! Hurry it up, won't you? Me and my pal here don't have all day to just stand here like featherbrained dolts because you're slow at your job!" Gilda fired off harshly, taking an aggressive stance. If it was one thing she knew, it was how to intimidate a dopey pony into action.

"Hey pony!" "Hurry it up, won't you? Me and my pal here don't have all day to just stand here like featherbrained dolts because you're slow at your job!"

Now that they were well and out of the harsh nightclub, ponies seemed to be back to mostly being 'lame', as well as other amusing things as 'gullible' and 'easily intimidated'. The mare behind the counter was quickly spurred by the fact that a gryphon - a species known for having sharp beaks, talons and claws all over - was getting frustrated with her lack of alacrity. Her response? A widening eyes, and a frightened bit of a giddyup in her work, startled by the sudden shout and far more motivated to keep a grouchy gryphon from getting any grumpier.

"Y-yes ma'am! Uh, uh, Jah!"

The now-hurried deskpony just grabbed an available key, ignoring the list of reservations entirely. She could shuffle around less intimidating customers later, surely. Either way, the goldenrod mare grabbed a key and tag, somewhat clumsily fumbling it over the desk. Hooves and tired and panick did not make for terribly graceful dexterity, after all. But, skitter as the key might, Ignition still managed to catch it on her wing, slipping the keyring into the cup of her hoof. A nervous pause from the mare behind the desk, which was cut short by Ignition joining in with Gilda's critisisms.

"Y'know, you COULD tell us where the room is!" The pegapunk was quick to point out, managing something of a sneer and a glare. After all, nobody really wanted to wander the halls aimlessly until they just happened to find the right keyhole.

"Oh, is uh, go to the left, up the staircase, then look on the right!"

"Took ya long enough." Muttered the pegasus, her tone keeping an edge to it. Still, she tucked the key into the crux of her wing, turned tail and started leading on, assuming the directions were correct. Away from the lobby, into a quiet hallway, and along to the staircase went the red pegasus, keeping to a reasonable canter. "Sheesh. Sometimes I wonder if I was made to set an example, or if they just got my species wrong when they made me..." Ignition mused, leading the way up the scuffed, slightly creaky stairs.

• 5 weeks later...

"Y-yes ma'am! Uh, uh, Jah!"

"Y'know, you COULD tell us where the room is!"

"Oh, is uh, go to the left, up the staircase, then look on the right!"

"Took ya long enough."

Gilda was pleased to see Ignition was more than content to follow up on her harsh words to the bumbling desk pony with some of her own. Watching the meek mare fumble about as the pegasus did her best to goad her into action made the griffon smirk. That it succeeded in clueing them in to the location of their room just made it all the sweeter. As the exchange finished and Ignition gave her final dismissive response, Gilda just gave a harsh laugh and followed her away from the desk, stopping only briefly to cast her glare once more toward the already intimidated mare.

"Sheesh. Sometimes I wonder if I was made to set an example, or if they just got my species wrong when they made me..."

Gilda laughed at the offhand comment and gave a small nod.

"Yeah, gotta say, from all I've seen, you might have made a decent griffon," she said.

"Ponies I've found are more likely to be like that nobody just now--meek, lame and clueless. You, you've got things more figured out and aren't afraid to just grab what you want," the griffon assessed as she made her way up the stairs and eventually into a hall. Her eyes went to the door on the right.

"Anyway...let's hope this room doesn't suck," she added through a sigh, continuing to approach it alongside the pegasus.

• 2 weeks later...

A laugh was traded from griffon to pegasus as the two made their way up one, and then another flight of stairs. "Yeah, gotta say, from all I've seen, you might have made a decent griffon," was Gilda's comment. It was probably for the best that she had more to say on the matter, because it actually left Ignition feeling a little unsure of how to react. A gryphon - Her? ...That, she'd be okay with, not that she wanted to admit it - felt weird to think it, it'd be weirder to say it, probably. Besides, who'd ever heard of some pony wanting to be something they very clearly weren't. "Ponies I've found are more likely to be like that nobody just now--meek, lame and clueless. You, you've got things more figured out and aren't afraid to just grab what you want,"

"Hey, y'know how life goes in Equestria. She who shoves hardest wins..." Ignition murmured with a chuckle, stifling a yawn and lazily turning to her right, counting off the doors - 1, 2, 3... welp, theirs was just the one at the end, apparently. She ignored the bustling sounds that came from a couple of the early-morning risers in their rented rooms, squinting a bit as the sun just barely started to peek over a far-distant horizon. It was now dawn, like it or not; Ignition's opinion was something of the latter. At least they had a room, and with a jostling of the key from her wing, Ignition fumbled a little with the key in her feathers.

"Anyway...let's hope this room doesn't suck," Gilda added as Ignition tried to slip the key in the lock - a touch clumsy from the nor-adrenaline after a high-octane party. A bit of jostling as Ignition managed to muck up turning a key, but soon enough the door was open, revealing a room that looked completely unimpressive, if not wholly unremarkable. One of the beds was devoid of legs, more of a box and a mattress than a proper bedframe. The dresser was missing a couple handles, not that they had anything that needed to be put in a dresser. The curtains were kind of frayed along the edges, but they doubled up well enough to block out some of the daylight threatening to creep over the land. Plus side, it was all clean and freshly set out, and nothing was scurrying for cover or smelling up the room. A snooty dignitary wouldn't be caught dead looking at it, but the punk seemed satisfied enough with the arrangement; it'd serve the purpose of crashing.

"...cleaner'n my place, I'll at least give it that." And, with that incredibly faint praise, Ignition entered, taking a half-hearted dive onto the legless bed, bouncing a bit off the surface. "Oh, man. Better bed, too. Sheesh."

• 2 months later...

"Hey, y'know how it life goes in Equestria. She who shoves hardest wins..."

Gilda gave an amused chuckle at these words and how they reinforced her own. Ignition's philosophy was certainly a very griffon one. Ponies were supposed to be all friendship and harmony, weren't they? They were all for working together and being friends and trite sentiments like that. Shoving your way to victory didn't quite mesh with that exactly. That was probably why Ignition was more fun than other ponies though, she supposed. She didn't buy into all that nonsense. She was in the game for herself, just as Gilda was. That thought brought a smirk to Gilda's beak.

"...cleaner'n my place, I'll at least give it that. Oh, man. Better bed, too. Sheesh."

The griffon laughed again at the pony's assessment of the room. The room did kinda suck. This place certainly wasn't some four star hotel. Only some of the furniture was visibly broken though, and it wasn't infested with vermin. All in all, it wasn't like Gilda could really complain. It'd certainly beat sleeping in a tree or that old underground prison cell. The bed looked soft. She moved toward hers, which had legs, and took a seat on it.

"Now I gotta wonder what kind of complete dive you call home. Must be pretty sad," she said with a somewhat mocking laugh as she got more comfortable on the bed. "Though yeah, this should do fine. Maybe I'm just too exhausted to car, but his bed actually feels kinda nice," she added with a yawn.

"Now I gotta wonder what kind of complete dive you call home. Must be pretty sad," the gryphon said with a bit of a mocking laugh as she took the 'luxury' bed. If Ignition had any pride in her under-city pad in Cloudsdale, she might've taken offense to that - but, in all honestly, there was no such pride to be found at all. Ignition let out a laugh of her own in return, shaking her head. "Cheh, when you spend way more time out of your place than in it, you kinda stop caring how it looks." She replied, half a smirk still tugging at her cheek.

Still, it was late - no wait, now it was early - and they were presumably both plenty tired. The pegasus shuffled a bit, centering herself on the floorbound bed. Her wings shuffled a bit as she fluffed out her feathers, curling up a bit under her redgrade wingspan, the punk pegasus getting herself reasonably comfortable for a decent night's rest. It wasn't the nicest bed she'd conked out on, but it was still pretty comfy.

"Though yeah, this should do fine. Maybe I'm just too exhausted to care, but his bed actually feels kinda nice," she added with a yawn. Aw, man, did it have to be a yawn? That spread from one featherhead to the next, Ignition trying not to yawn in return, clenching her jaw a bit. "Yeah, well, if nothin' else, these guys at least know how to put'cha for... Y-aawwwnhh..." So much for stifling that one. "For a few hours. ...I'm done." And, with that, Ignition's silver eyes slipped shut, and she tucked the pillow under her head for the morning. Sure, Gilda - or anyone else, for that matter - could probably get another twenty minutes of awake out of her. But, as stated, she was done for the time being. A few long minutes of silence would have her out like a light and snoring quietly.

Archived