Persnickety and Newsworthy [PRIVATE]

"You really didn't have to, you know," the mare said, giving him a timid smile, "...but, uhm. I am glad that I'll get to see this. Especially with you. You've proven to be quite enjoyable company." Jeez, was it possible for her to say what was on her mind without gussying it up to sound formal or stuttering awkwardly? She busied herself with slipping the ticket safely into her satchel.

As they carried on further down the street, her voice came once more, quieter than before, "I...did have a great time, tonight. The most fun I've had in a long time with somepony, really. So, uhm...thank you...for the date, 'n stuff..."

• Like 1

A small spark of hope reignited in his heart, making him feel warm all over. A dozen thoughts ran through his mind in the blink of an eye.

She does actually like me. For buck's sake, Newsworthy, are you blind? You have to remember how shy she is. For her to say something like this takes a lot of guts. She must really mean it.

He decided to take her openness as an invitation to be forthright, himself. "Persnickety, it is I who should be thanking you. For everything. For actually taking the time to get to know me, for listening to me go on about everything, and for really caring. So few ponies do. You are a wonderful mare, and I am honored to know you."

The look on her face was certainly that of mild relief - mostly that her words had been met with such positiveness. "Well, it makes me even happier to know that the feeling is mutual, and I could definitely say all of the same to you...aside from the 'being a wonderful mare' part."

They rounded the corner, coming to the front of a small pottery and basketry shop. Part of her was disappointed that their walk had to end so soon. "Well, this is my home - the apartment above, anyway, not the, uh...the shop. Heh. But, tomorrow evening's show should be fun! I can't wait."

While he'd found himself preoccupied with saying goodnight, she found the moment enough of an opportunity to bite the proverbial bullet. Moving forward slightly, she pressed a small, chaste kiss to the stallion's cheek. She leaned back, and smiled.

"Goodnight, Newsworthy."

With that, the mare turned, heading for the small staircase that ascended to the loft above the store, filled once again with that pleasant warmth.

Goodnight, goodnight - parting is such sweet sorrow. That I shall say goodnight, till it be morrow.

Newsworthy felt her warm touch against him for the briefest moment. His insides turned to jelly as he watched her ascend the stairs and disappear into her home. He just stood there, stunned, for several minutes. His eyes filled with happy tears. Am I dreaming ... If I am, I hope I never wake up ...

This day simply could not get any better. He walked back to his hotel with a spring in his step and a song in his heart.

Hold on ...

One more time with feeling

Try it again

Breathing's just a rhythm

Say it in your mind

Until you know that the words are right ...

This is, why we, fight

This is, why we, fight

The following evening...

...in the bohemian little studio flat, the teal-maned pegasus shuffled here and there, getting herself ready. She hummed a chipper tune to herself as she fixed her mane into a bun, stepping over to the upright steamer trunk she kept as a makeshift closet. "It would probably do not to get too fancy, it's not like it's an opera...but it couldn't hurt to polish up just a little bit." She decided on a pashmina scarf of a warmly-colored design...and then decided that the bun should be made into a ponytail.

She had no idea why she was even caring so very much, she hadn't in the past. Then again, she didn't usually go on dates with someone who's company she very much liked. Speaking of whom, he would probably be getting there at any moment.

The very thought made her put her mane back up into a bun, again.

Newsworthy had hardly slept at all, out of excitement and nervousness. He wanted to make sure this day was perfect for Persnickety. Since he had plenty of time to ponder, and he couldn't make himself think about anything else, he spent most of the night devising a plan. When he awoke from his light sleep, he immediately started ransacking the florists in town. It had taken most of the day, but he had finally found an obscure horticulturalist who grew roses almost exactly the color of Persnickety's teal mane. After this, he rented a sharp tuxedo, and had himself professionally groomed. It felt a little odd to smell like lavender, and he much preferred his mane and tail in his normal, unkempt style, but hoped that it would please her. By the time he left the groomer's, it was almost time to pick her up.

As he walked through the street toward her flat, he could feel his heart beating quickly in his chest. Everything had gone so well, yesterday. If he was lucky, he wouldn't do anything stupid today.

He reached her house, and trotted up the steps. He paused before the door, and took a long, deep breath. This is it.

Pulling the bouquet of a dozen blue roses out of his saddlebag, he held them in his mouth as he knocked lightly on the door.

A faint, "I'll be right there!" rung from behind the door. A brief moment passed, when the sound of feeble but deliberate hoofsteps scaled the staircase leading to the flat.

"Who ees fancy stallion?!" The owner of the hooves - a frail looking, dusty rose-hued old mare in a babushka and large, rectangular glasses - scrunched her wrinkled face in a leer at the light blue pegasus. She pointed a small cleaning brush that was soaked in wet clay water at him. "Are not reef-raff here to be causingk trouble, mmm?"

Well ... now what.

He turned in surprise when he heard the voice of the mare, nearly dropping the flowers. Spitting them into a free hoof, he bowed slightly. "Why no, my good lady. I am taking Miss Persnickety to a play later this evening. The name's Newsworthy. And you are?"

"Already heff nyewspaper sabscription, zank you! Hnf!"

Persnickety opened the door, blinking at the pair of them, "...Uhh..."

"Mees Peersneekeetee! Tell zat ve already heff nyewspapers!" The old mare gestured at the spiffied-up Newsworthy with her brush, again.

"Erh...she likes doing this to strangers--" She raised her voice a tad, "It's alright, Missus Wicker! We're going to be going to see a play!"

"Are not goingk to stay? Ees he new landlord?"

A sigh. "No-- going OUT! To a PLAY!"

"...Are goingk out to play?"

"Ergh...close enough. You needn't worry, Miss Wicker! You go ahead back downstairs, I've got everything under control!" The pegasus ushered the babushka'd old earth pony back down the stairs, the old mare hobbling off as she rattled off something in the native tongue. When she'd gone back to her shop, Persnickety turned back to Newsworthy, "Heh...sorry about that. She's hard of hearing." She tilted her head, giving him a look-over, "Y-You, ah...you look quite nice, though. I fear I might've underdressed, but I don't...really have anything too fancy..."

"I'm sure you'll fit right in. I guess my wardrobe was more bohemian than I thought." She smiled sheepishly. "But, if you think it's fine, that's all that should matter really, mm?"

She blinked at the roses. Not having the time to pay them much mind previously, "F-...For me...?" She beamed, gently holding them in her hooves, "Well, thank you...they're remarkable! I don't believe I've seen any quite their color, before. Let me just put them in some water and we can be off, mm?" She disappeared back into her flat for a brief moment, soon returning to his side and closing the door behind her.

They walked down the steps and began traversing the sidewalk. In the distance, they could see the tall clock tower marking the location of the Stalliongrad School of the Arts.

The air was chilly, but the sky was clear, and the winter sun lent a little warmth.

Newsworthy realized that he should have spent some of his time the previous night thinking of interesting topics to bring up throughout the course of the evening. He thought hard, trying to start the conversation off on the right hoof. After a moment, he struck upon something.

"So, what do you know about 'Death of a Salespony?' I believe I read it in a literature class at some point, but don't remember much about it."

"I actually don't know too terribly much about it, aside from the basic plot - I've heard it's quite good, though." Then again, Persnickety, you like just about any play you're put in front of.

"Well, I hope you'll like it. The ending is a little sad, if I remember correctly, but it's definitely one that makes you think." They passed by a large newsstand filled with magazines and papers. Newsworthy had been so preoccupied all day that he had completely neglected his morning ritual of newspaper reading. A headline caught his eye.

DISCORD STRIKES AGAIN! PONIES SAVE CITY FROM CERTAIN DESTRUCTION!

Rushing over, he quickly purchased a paper. Scanning the article, he motioned to his date. "Persnickety ... I think you might want to see this."

STALLIONGRAD -- The draconequus Discord was apprehended by the city's mages today, in a small café in Stalliongrad. Officials are baffled at how three musicians, named Deep Bass, Sydphony, and Persnickety, were able to take down the mighty demigod. According to the owner of the café, who witnessed the entire event, Discord appeared in pony form and caused various forms of mischief before challenging these musicians to a musical duel. Even though he claimed to have won this duel, the musicians and other patrons of the establishment wrestled him to the ground and held him down until the authorities arrived. Official reports are still pending, but according to the police, Discord has been deported to Canterlot to be dealt with by Princess Celestia herself. ...

The article continued, but it was mostly filler, containing a number of interviews with other patrons who had been at the scene. However, a little snippet at the end caught his attention. "Needless to say, the citizens of Stalliongrad owe these three musicians their lives."

"Well. What do you know. You may not have fortune, just yet, but it looks like you garnered a little fame."

((I'm sorry it's been taking me so long to reply. D: I've been a busy bee.;; ))

"What is it?" Persnickety moved up beside Newsworthy, reading the article quietly to herself. There had certainly been plenty of reporters and ponies on the scene that day, it was imminent that news had gotten out about the event."

"...G-Goodness...!" She was practically blushing. "Eheh...it feels strange, actually. A good strange, though!" She ran a hoof along her bangs, probably more out of nerves than preening, the humble little thing. "I wonder why they didn't mention you and the others, though...A couple of you helped out, as well."

"I certainly was no help, what with this gimpy wing," Newsworthy said, looking back at his injury. "Oh well. I'm just glad that somepony got the recognition she deserved." He smiled at Persnickety.

He stuffed the newspaper into his bag. Maybe he would have more time later to finish reading the rest. "That reminds me! Did you hear that Vainglorious is coming to the opening? She's going to be one of the VIP guests at the reception. I can't wait to ask for her tips on how to improve my theater critiquing skills!"

"You may have been more help than you think, dear sir." I don't know if I would've had the bravery to do what I did, without you there to cheer me on.

"Vainglorious? As in...the Vainglorious?" She smiled at him, "That should be quite interesting. I wonder if anyone I know would be there...I hear the costume design professor, Razzle Dazzle, did a good bit of work on this show. I've known her for quite some time...but, she's just had a foal. She'd probably want to spend time at home rather than hire a sitter, but who knows?"

'You may have been more help than you think ...' I wonder what she meant by that?

"I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Mrs. Dazzle yet. Perhaps you could introduce me, if she is able to attend." Her words caused Newsworthy to think back to his foalhood. "I remember when my sister was born. New parents have no time for anything, so I wouldn't be surprised if she's absent, at least from the after party."

As they got closer to their destination, more and more ponies filled the streets, all heading in the direction of the large auditorium on the university campus. Carriages bustled to and fro, dropping off ponies and returning to pick up more theater-goers from the nearby hotels.

Newsworthy noted with dismay that only a few of the ponies had decided to dress up as much as he had. Most had simply come au naturel, or wore a simple collar, hat or jewelry.

Oh well. Being well groomed can't hurt my reputation with the high-society ponies that will be at the after party. Perhaps there I won't stick out like a sore hoof.

"You have a sister? Lucky you. I'd always wanted a sister or brother. I thought it might get my mum off my back more often." She grinned with a wink, glancing around at the others. When she looked back to him, her giddy expression fell just a tad.

"You look distraught. Is something wrong...?" she asked as the pair of them fell into the line outside of the university's theater.

He looked sheepish. "I look ridiculous in this getup. I'm so used to the hoity-toity productions that I forgot this one was less formal. I know it's silly, but I feel like everypony is looking at me." This was true, although the real reason he had dressed up was because he thought Persnickety would like it. A distressing thought struck him. I really hope that she doesn't feel like my appearance outshines hers. For most mares that I've known, that would not be good at all.

"...Is that all?" She almost laughed, but figured that would be a bit rude. "Well, I for one do think you look quite dapper, and you are attending the afterparty. The nice thing about dressing up, however, is that you can always dress down as needed."