A Unlikely Mission To The Everfree

(OOC: To those who don't know. This is a continuation of an improvised RP from Facebook chat. Newsworthy, this is the RP we did earlier. When last we left off, the two of us were headed into Princess Celestia's throne room, as she had requested our presence to deal with thieves in the Everfree.)

Squallmane walked behind the guard at no more than a trot. What kind of mission would require the services of a night guard and a reporter? He tried to push the thought to the back of his mind, and focus on the situation he was presently in. The guard led them through the ornate gold-and-ivory halls to the throne room -- the finest locale of Canterlot, no question about it. There before them stood Princess Celestia, her shining tresses billowing in the gentle breeze like the Northern Lights he'd sometimes see over Stalliongrad.

"Squallmane, Newsworthy," she addressed them, her voice clearer than the crystal ornaments around them, "thank you for answering my call. I have something very important to speak with you about."

(OOC: So this is the RP you were mentioning yesterday. Guess I could use my OC is a member of the 'Royal Equestrian Army'. For Celestia, she'll probably just have one of her captains summon a guard to tag along with the two to aid i their mission)

(OOC: You're welcome to join us, Tacobob.)

Princess Celestia nodded in assent, and replied, "There has been a disturbance in the kingdom, and a group of ruffians from the Everfree Forest are responsible."

Squallmane tapped a hoof lightly. I knew it! This is my chance to find the answers I'm looking for!

The princess continued, "Unfortunately, nopony knows enough about these bandits to solve the problem. That, my loyal subjects, is where you come in. Newsworthy, I want you to journey into Everfree Forest and learn more about them. You will need to put in your very best effort. For without the right news, we will not know what to do. Squallmane, you will serve as his guide."

This did not sit well with the auburn-maned night guard. His what? I'm going where? He thought back to the last time he went in the Everfree, all those years ago. And he shivered from head to hoof.

"Fear not, trusted stallion. You two will not go alone. You will have each other, and a member of my royal guard. Speak with the captain outside, and he will give you a guard, one of the noblest in the ranks. Do you have any questions?"

Squallmane gritted his teeth and scraped the floor with a hoof. I have a few. But they're no way to speak to royalty. He looked to Newsworthy, waiting to see if the journalist had any questions. If not, it was time to get this over with.

(OOC: Princess Celestia is not my character, so I'm going to move from this scene as quickly as possible. Hope you don't mind.)

"Intrepid journalist," Celestia replied, "I seek none of those things. The bandits have brought paranoia and fear to my beloved subjects, and by doing so, are driving harmony from the land. If I wanted them dealt with, I could send my finest guards, or my most loyal of subjects. But while Twilight Sparkle and Rarity have the magic, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy the flight, and Pinkie Pie and Applejack the strength of will, they are all attending to matters that demand their specific talents, and their friendship."

I've seen battle, Princess, Squallmane thought, there's nothing about friendship in it. Only power and allegiance to that power. But he listened on in earnest.

"After all," she continued, "their unity has been forged by one trial after another, long before these bandits appeared. No, to treat this matter properly, a new group must find the power of friendship for themselves. That bond will be enough to bring the ponies of Equestria back together, and rid us of the influence these bandits have spread. The information you seek, Newsworthy, is the answer to this question: why does everypony need a friend? Find this answer, and bring word of your findings back to me. Squallmane?"

Squallmane perked up, "Yes, Princess Celestia?"

"Do not underestimate your mission. The Everfree Forest is a dark place, and your party may be divided if they lack your guidance. Keep a true heart, and focus on the goal ahead."

No need to tell me about the dangers of the Everfree. "Yes, Princess. I will."

"And one more thing before you go: there is a new darkness in the forest. Something not even I understand. Whatever you do, make sure it stays there. Farewell, subjects, and may your path be clear!"

Squallmane turned and cantered out of the throne room, ready to meet this guard and begin the journey. "Coming, Newsworthy?"

(OOC: The captain of the royal guard, Shining Armor, is introduced in the last 2 episodes of season 2. Newsworthy saw him briefly in a previous RP, but didn't meet him.)

"You bet I am." He bowed to the princess again. "Thank you your highness. We shall not disappoint you!"

Newsworthy quickly joined 'Squallmane' outside. A large, burly captain stood there, in the the traditional purple and gold armor of a high ranking officer.

"Hello, boys," he said, in a serious, commanding tone. "Today, you embark on a great mission for Equestria. As you know, the Everfree Forest is one of the most dangerous places in the Kingdom. I am sending one of my finest soldiers with you, to help you on your journey and protect you from harm. Also, the royal armory is open to you if you need weapons. Now, if you will excuse me, I have important business to attend to."

"Wow," Squallmane remarked, "someone's in a hurry." Weapons? Now that sounds like a plan. "Where is this 'finest soldier' he's talking about? I'm handy in a fight, but it would be excellent to have an expert to watch our backs."

It had been some time since Squallmane had geared up for battle, but travel was something he was familiar with. He'd need light gear, strictly smaller more agile weapons and as sparse of armor as possible. Beyond that, it would be essential to have rations and some basic bindings for dressing wounds. But then, he'd take whatever Canterlot gave him.

A worrying thought came to his mind, unbidden. What of this 'new darkness'? Hate to have that sneaking up on us. What manner of enemy is it? These thoughts were not productive for the moment, so he dismissed them.

"Reporting for duty, sir!", a red Pegasus mare quickly zoomed into view, found a spot to land and saluted the captain the second her armored horse-shoes touched ground. Generally all soldiers from rookie to highest ranked officer in the R.E.A were considered the 'finest'. The mare looked to be rather young and her armor, which was blue and gold were generally what the rookies wore. She appeared to be fresh off of graduation. She continued the salute until her captain had left the area.

"Private Fire Walker at your service.", she glanced over at the two, "It appears I will be traveling with you two to the Everfree Forest. Please follow me, I will take you to the armory.", she spun around and lead the two ponies towards a long hallway, "Have any of you been to the Everfree?", there was a slight hint of fear in her voice, "I've heard the usual stories all foals hear. How the weather minds itself, as do the animals, and the plants grow on their own. Also heard there were ruins of the two sisters' castle, along with wild magic, not to mention lost villages, and dark creatures. It's the place of nightmares!"

OOC: Sorry. The post was much shorter than I had planned. Very long day, but I wanted to get something out before I hit the ol' hay. The walk to the armory should permit the three to introduce one and another. If there is battle in this RP? How will it be handled?

Pic of young Fire Walker:

34h9seo.jpg

"I have walked along the forest edge many times," Newsworthy said, "but never more than a mile in. The only time I've been into the heart of the Everfree was during my adventure with Partheus, two months ago, or so. We found and defeated the Dwellers' leader, a wicked sorceress. In fact, I'm surprised that they would be making a move so soon. A number of their soldiers perished in the attack on Canterlot last month. Although ... perhaps it shouldn't be surprising that they've returned to their usual, less overt attacks, if they are exacting revenge."

"As for your concerns about the dangers, yes, there are many and serious risks which we should prepare ourselves for. For one thing, we need to be prepared for unexpected weather conditions. Unlike the rest of Equestria, storms can and do strike at any time, as you mentioned. There are a number of large beasts, such as manticores, that we should be ready to fight. And, of course, we need to be able to repel the Forest Dwellers, should diplomacy fail." He smiled at his companions. "Don't worry. If a bookish, scrawny newspony can get in and out of there alive, then it should be no problem for sturdy, battle-ready ponies like yourselves."

Inwardly, Newsworthy was not so sure. It was concerning that Shining Armor would send a rookie who was afraid of the very forest they were entering. Surely there is somepony more qualified ... And as for Squallmane, he too seemed awfully young to be embarking on such a quest. There must be a reason that Celestia chose him. He began to wonder what this colt's special talent was, considering his cutie mark depicted a coiled snake. Perhaps there was more to these two than he could see.

(OOC: Tacobob, I expect there to be some conflict. I've never done formal battle in a text based RP, what I've done in the past is just writing as usual, taking into account my perception of the enemy's abilities and both of our resources. Both of you, let me know if you want to handle it differently.)

(OOC: Your post was excellent, tacobob. As for combat, I have a plan. See it in your PM.)

"Squallmane," he introduced himself tersely, green eyes studying this newcomer. We were promised the finest, he thought to himself, so who is this knock-kneed little one? "Our enemies don't worry me much." He glanced at Fire Walker, "Though I had intended to leave off that 'much.' As for the storms, I can give us some fore-notice, but no more than that."

He paused, drew in a breath, then added, "'Been to the Everfree?' Begging your pardon, ma'am, but I lived in the Everfree."

"You've actually lived there?", Fire Walker's eyes widen as she thought of actually growing up in the strange forest, "You are far braver than I.", she continued to canter along, "A very good friend of mine's brother did a little exploring there with a Ponyville cousin of his. His cousin is a skilled herbalist and tracker and even they got lost. Was told they found an old timey tavern in the middle of the forest. When they entered, the place was filled with patrons, tavern staff and lots of cider and ale. They spent the night there, drinking and having the time of their lives. When they awoke the following morning, they found the place in ruins. It appeared to have been abandoned for hundreds of years. Ghost tavern!", she shook her head, "As for me, like all members of the Royal Equestrian Army, I am skilled in several forms of combat, both lethal and non, I'm also skilled in aerial combat. I can also speak several languages, including Prancee and Germane. I'm also pretty good with first aid, so I can help with any minor injuries."

She stood near the entrance of the armory, "My packs are already filled with rations, along with some travel supplies. I was also given a small pack of healing salves. These are not potions and need to be applied directly in small doses to the wound. My armor is lightly enchanted, so I should be fine in most normal weather, but I probably should take something a little heavier in the chances we stumble into wild magic weather."

As for weapons, she held up her right armored hoof and it shook it to the right. A small, but impressive looking blade extended out of the armor. "These come in a pair. I should also snatch up crossbow while I'm here.", she glanced at the doorway, "Well here we are! During our trip to the Everfree, I would like if you can tell me what you know about these dwellers. And when you said you defeated their leader, did you just send her into hiding, or did you end her life?"

"My stay in the forest had nothing to do with bravery, Fire Walker. It was instinct; I did what I had to."

Squallmane kept up a decent pace, hoping to soon reach the armory.

"You're pretty young to have all that skill. Battle is about inflicting wounds and mending them. Rare enough, you can do both."

He turned to Newsworthy as they reached the armory, "I'd also like to hear about the bandits. You are the one with the most experience, after all."

Squallmane entered the armory. The structure was not a very impressive design -- low roof, narrow hallway, simple tile floor, three stacked shelves all along the walls -- but what was impressive was the collection of weapons and armor on the shelves. Squallmane noticed something familiar and stuck his leg through a twine loop. The loop drew tight, binding a short blade to his lower leg. Easy access, quick use with or without magic, all-in-all a well-calculated choice. This will do fine.

"The Dwellers are a brutish race of outcasts, as I told you earlier," he informed Squallmane as they browed the armory. "From what I've seen, they are nearly all pegasi or earth ponies, and as such, are generally armed with crude, non-magical weapons, such as broadswords, spears, as well as heavy armor. Mind you, I have only had the displeasure of encountering two dozen of their kind up close, at most, so who knows what some of their soldiers might be packing."

Newsworthy looked over the weapons carefully, trying to find the most effective non-lethal choice. It was against his principles to do any more harm to any creature than absolutely necessary, but he wanted to be prepared for any and all situations. Finally, he settled on a light, medium-sized blow gun. This particular weapon was intended for use by a pegasus, and strapped to his side for quick access in the air or on the ground. He chose two packs of ammunition darts. One would merely tranquilize an enemy, and the other would poison him with a potent neurotoxin. He hoped to Celestia that the latter would not be needed. He also picked up a pair of retractable blades for his forehooves, similar to the ones that the other pegasus wore. He would hate to have to use them, but would rather be armed than dead.

While he chose his weapons, he was lost in thought. Finally, he spoke to Squallmane while strapping on the blades, "So, you say that you have lived in the Everfree, but are uninformed concerning the Dwellers? Care to explain why?"

"Been doing this all my life.", Fire Walker responded as she made her way over to a small section of projectile weapons that hung from a rack, "Well, at least the training and it's in my blood. My family has served Canterlot and Princess Celestia for generations. Every member of my family has been either a guard, officer, and even had a few generals.", she added with a proud smile on her face, "All of my siblings are either in the R.E.A or in training. My parents are both officers and are currently away at Trottingham for a business-vacation.", she glanced at a suitable crossbow and tried it on.

She glanced back at the pegasus, "You never did answer my question. You said you defeated their leader, but you did not say if you took her life or not. Our relationship with these bandits will differ greatly on how you handled her.", she frowned slightly, "Oh, and you never did tell me your name. If we are to be traveling together, I would like to be able to call you something beyond 'you' or 'blue' and I'm rather poor at giving nicknames."

After picking the right crossbow, she snatched up two small boxes of bolts.

OOC: I was assuming by your avatar pic that Squallmane is a earth pony, is he?

"You misunderstand, Newsworthy."

The auburn earth pony tossed his mane and eyed a few pieces of armor, finding nothing that convenienced him.

"I ask of your experience for a new perspective on the dwellers. You are, as you have said, somewhat familiar with them. I'd be interested to know if they've changed any since my time within."

Squallmane gave the armory a last cursory look, then turned to leave. "Are the two of you coming?"

(OOC: Yes, Squallmane is an earth pony.)

Fire Walker snatched up her new crossbow and bolts and strapped them to the sides of her armor so she could get at them when she needed it, "I'm ready. Hope you all are stocked up on supplies. Simple rations, water and the what-not. ", she followed after the others, "So, can you tell us how we'll be getting to the Everfree?"

(OOC: Sorry, I thought Neil would be back sooner.)

"Well," Squallmane sighed, "I'm not familiar with the route from here."

He gestured out the window with a hoof, denoting the fluffy white clouds slowly turning yellow in the light of the setting sun. It was indeed getting late, and even the trip to the Everfree would be risky at night, to say nothing of the forest itself. The thought occurred to him to find a place to rest, but he could not think of where.

"I'm new to this area, personally. My tracking will be better when we get close to the forest. Until then, perhaps your fellow pegasus will be of more use than I. What I do know is that it is getting late, and we had best find a place to stay. When we get rest, collect our thoughts, we'll be ready for the trip in the morning."

The earth pony turned toward their fedora-wearing friend.

"Newsworthy, you've been awful quiet this whole time. All this armor and talk of battle too much for you?"

(OOC: It was my turn, wasn't it. Sorry guys ... I'll try to do better)

Newsworthy cocked an eyebrow. "Too much? I should say not. Merely thinking about the journey ahead. For one thing, if we play our cards right, we can avoid most battles. No need to endanger ourselves needlessly. We just need to find a relatively agreeable Dweller to talk with, and hopefully he or she will be able to tell us about friendship. At least, perhaps we can find out where to start."

As for our accommodations for the night, I know of a fine inn nearby. I usually stay there when I'm here reporting on a story. Not exactly the palace," he chuckled, "but the rooms are affordable and the cider is good."

"From what I've heard.", Fire glanced out into the window, "The more traditional route is a train ride to Ponyville. The village is actually right on the borders of the Everfree. Never been there myself, but I've noticed there's always some sort of news coming out of that sleepy little town. Usually once a week.", a small smirk fell on her face, "Princess Celestia's protégé also happens to live here. Saw her in court a few times, and her brother is my captain. As for lodgings, I do have the barracks. I could spend some quality time with you two at the inn, maybe get to know you all a bit more. Think I know what place you're talking about.", she tapped her right hoof on the ground as she studied the blue Peagsus, "A good friend of mine lives with her brother in what's considered the 'blue collar' section of Canterlot. There's an inn near where they live. Think it's just called the 'C'mon Inn'"

"Does that sound right? We could have a few drinks in their tavern, I could hitch a ride back to the barracks, and maybe met up at the train station. Or should we should have breakfast first? But besides that, any other suggestions?"

"Sounds like we have our plan. We'll stay at the C'mon Inn, have a last hurrah before our trip, then head down to our next stop in Ponyville. We can sleep a night before we enter the forest."

It sounded put-together, but Squallmane was unsettled. Too long up in the clouds, among all these fancy types. But there was more. How could he imagine getting a good night's sleep until this was over? He hadn't set hoof in the Everfree Forest in years. True, he and his sister had stayed there until a better solution presented itself. He knew the forest, but it would take...coaxing...to adjust to it again.

His thoughts drifted briefly to his sister, Ebony Mane, who was likely still working in Stalliongrad. He hoped she was okay, since he was not there to watch over her. She could take care of herself, yes, but that wasn't enough. He couldn't derive peace from relying on that alone.

Squallmane assured that everything was in order, and started walking for the door, assuming the others were right behind him. He realized his mistake, stopped, and turned his head.

"Fire Walker, Newsworthy, you know the inn. Perhaps you should lead the way. We can get tickets for the morning on our way."

"Flying would be idea for you and I, but I believe Sir Squallmane would find it most difficult to reach the sky without any wings.", she glanced over at the earth pony with a small grin on her face as they left the armory. Fire Walker cantered along with the two stallions as they made their way over to the 'Blue Collar or Common' section of Canterlot. The closer they got away from the high rent district, the more common and plain the houses and buildings got. Eventually, they spotted the inn, "I probably should have changed out of my uniform, but I guess it will just give me an excuse just to stick with tea or pop for our meal. My old friend Docket usually spends her Friday nights here. She said they have the best deep fried mushrooms in the city."

(Not sure if you wish to play out the tavern encounter or just skip to the next day. I'm up for anything..)