A Unlikely Mission To The Everfree

(OOC: Hey ShadowWalking18, you are welcome to join us. We'll need to know what kind of character you're using, so we know how to work you in to the story, and where. As I seem to be running this show, I'll say that I'm okay with anything in the MLP-verse. As I don't know if a kitsune is, I guess it comes down to are you familiar with role-playing a kitsune? I have a lot of respect for that type of character, but I'd prefer it to be played right.

tacobob, I'm game for either on the tavern encounter, but I love playing them out.

Neil, what do you think of all this?)

Squallmane glared at Newsworthy briefly, then rolled his eyes and kept walking. He'd just ignore that for the time being, but it would not go without retort if it happened again. Growing up an earth pony was not an easy affair where wings or magic would come in handy every living hour. But he learned to work around that limitation. Learned to use it as a strength. The wiseacre reporter would soon learn this. Beside the fact, what use would Squallmane's tracking and...other abilities...be to Newsworthy if the winged wonder didn't stick around? Squallmane blew out an exasperated sigh.

"Might come to our advantage, having you in uniform. No telling."

He was familiar with the effect that authority had on everypony. It was not something to pass up lightly, or to underestimate. He gave this some consideration as they reached the door of the inn.

"Well obviously we would take turns carrying our guide. But I'm fine with the train if we can spare that much time."

The inn was a squat, wooden structure, looking much more worn than most of the buildings in the city. Newsworthy pushed open the heavy, ancient door with a grunt, and promptly sat at a table with room for his companions.

He began perusing the list of drinks. Perhaps an appletini ...

"Carry?", The guard let out a chuckle, "You must be some sort of super-pony if you could carry a full grown stallion loaded with equipment while you yourself was carrying supplies as well. I probably could carry Sir Squall, if he were naked, and only a short distance. Not the several hours that it would take to get from here to Ponyville.", she followed the others into the tavern/inn.

After taking off her helm and setting it under the table, Fire Walker found herself a seat next to the others and went through the menu. When the waiter or waitress appeared, she glanced up, "Guess I'll get the Summer Squash Pizza, and an Apple Cider..er..non alcoholic.", she gritted her teeth as she said those last two horrible words. But she was considered 'on duty' while she was with the two ponies, so there would be no booze and no wildness for this Pegasus for at least several days. Still, it was nice to be able to get out of her usual routine.

Once the waiter/waitress cantered off, the young mare sat back on her chair as she tried to contained her wild mane that was now free of its helmet. She didn't have much to say at the moment. Normally she was as chatty as her Aunt Street, after a few drinks, but there would be none of that for her tonight. "So...er...Nice place, eh?", she glanced around the tavern. Typical mid-low class eating establishment. Lots of crap on the walls. Banners from different colleges all over Equestria, a few slightly risqué old timey photos on the wall. A few Wonderbolts posters, including the infamous 'Spitfire On A Canon' one. And a jukebox, most likely loaded with Sapphire Shores and other poppy-nonsense.

That form was designed for carrying stories, not ponies, and Squallmane knew it. He silently scoffed at Newsworthy's suggestion, then calmed himself and looked up at the waitress.

"Mustard Green Salad, sprinkled with lemon grass, Miss Runner," he said, reading off her nametag. Then he added, "And a Golden Appquiri, well-blended, with a slice of sugar beet."

His voice took on an unmistakably different tone in here, a tone of subtle irritation overlaid by practiced composure. This was not the same acclimated country pony that had walked in. Squallmane knew he shouldn't get overly inebriated, but today had been taxing, and an Appquiri would take the edge off without driving him too far up the wall.

His gaze turned lazily to Fire Walker, who had taken her helm off. His first good look at her face was rewarding. This was a young mare indeed, not much older than his sister, but she was not the rookie he had first believed her to be. He could tell...somehow.

"Fire Walker, forgive my forwardness, but I'm not one for small-talk. Tell us something about yourself. Where did you come from? Why did you join the guard?"

(Sorry If I skip my turn here.. Will be at work all morning..all day and nearly all night today.. And when does this game take place? In the Mane boards, Fire Walker is around 25-28 in human terms. And her RPs take place after the Royal Wedding..)

"Well, I was born and raised here in Canterlot.", she said proudly, "As for the guard, my family has had more members serving in the 'Royal Equestrian Army' and the the other branches than any other family in Equestria and this has been pretty much the same for many generations. It was said that my ancestors served under Princess Celestia during the wars against both Discord and even the 'Two Sisters' war that happened a bit later. Nearly all of my brothers are currently serving in the R.E.A. with the exception of my two younger brothers who are both in primary school. Ten brothers, and just one little sister.", she sighed, "While I had a few health problems growing up, my parents were training me for this since the time I could walk, and they enrolled me in nearly all of the pre-training classes for the R.E.A. they could get me into.", she smiled at the waitress as she brought the threesome their glasses of water, which she quickly snatched up and had a long sip, "Canterlot has for the most part been a pretty peaceful place for hundreds and hundreds of years. Beyond a few random incidents, things have been going along rather nicely. While I have been in a few fights in my life, I can proudly say I have never actually really er, killed anypony before.", she was rather uncomfortable with that word, "Ponies see these ol' punch daggers of mine, and things tend to get real peaceful, real quick.", she smiled before adding, "How bout you? Tell me a little something about yourself."

(OOC: That's fine, tacobob. Old DM'ing tradition I follow, real life comes first.)

Seems like this one was born and raised to be something she hasn't become. And all because of tradition. Squallmane could respect that she had entered a career such as this, with so many expectations, and still refrained from needless bloodshed. The tactic of intimidation was a wise one, and much less costly. Effective too, so long as there was something behind it to back it up.

"My parents died protecting me and my sister. They weren't in the R.E.A. or anything. Just honorable. The beast that killed them chased us into the strangest of sanctuaries, where we spent a long time trying to live in hiding. I got to learn the Everfree well in that time. Now we live closer to Stalliongrad, since the threat is over, and Ebony's ready to get on with her life."

At least I hope it's over, Squallmane thought to himself.

"How about you, journalist?"

"My family traveled a great deal during my foalhood, but settled down and bought a bed-and-breakfast in Solstice Heights just before my teen years. A miserable, country existence, it was. Not disrespecting those who prefer a rural life, mind you, but it's certainly not for me. As soon as I could, much earlier than other colts my age, I left for university in Canterlot, even before I received my cutie mark. It was there that I found my passion for journalism. As I told you earlier, young one," Newsworthy nodded at Squallmane, "I own a paper called the Ponyville Express. It's finally picking up readership after several years of red ink. Who knows, with more stories like this one, we might even break even this year."

He had ordered a cider appletini earlier, and the waiter brought it to him. He sipped it thoughtfully.

"You didn't get your cutie-mark till you were well into university? That is rather unusual.", Fire slowly sipped her overpriced apple juice, "Generally most get theirs before puberty. Got mine while still in primary school. Just wonder if anypony has ever bothered to study the whole strange phenomena of these markings. Heard they used to call them 'soul prints'. Wonder why only zebras and our lot only get them? The other intelligent species out there do not get then. The dragons or Griffons don't seem to have 'em.", she found herself to be rather hungry at the moment and ordered a plate of onion rings with dip.

"I love Canterlot, but it will be nice to leave the walled city for some open space. Get to stretch out the ol' wings and whatnot. So these bandits..What can you tell me about them? And their leader?", she glanced up at the two ponies.

"It is a mystery," Squallmane agreed. "Although, I have seen something like it once. Could have just been a brand or tattoo, but no way to be sure."

Squallmane took a tentative taste of his appquiri. Never thought I'd hear someone refer to them as soul prints. Not again.

"As for the bandits, I know this. They are cowards, either in open actions or in their hearts, if they have them. What they do may make them seem wild, but they are certainly not brave. We can use that fear to our advantage. But don't turn your back on one. As for details, and anything about their leader, I have nothing."

The pony diverted his gaze, as if staring into the distance. There was nothing but a wall in front of him, but his mind flew elsewhere.

Two ponies played in a field, prancing about like the colts they were. Not far away stood youthful stallion and mare with kindness in their eyes. They watched their children with an ample mix of caution and joy, glad to take part in such a beautiful afternoon. With little warning, a thundering roar caught the attention of the colts, and their play ended. The parents heard as well, but they could not run quickly enough. A rustle of leaves and fur gave way to a fearsome manticore. The mighty creature rushed out of the dark woods, enraged. It gave the children a mere moment of consideration, then made quick moves to devour them. A mere snack for such a large beast, but a tasty one. The colts cried out, and their parents arrived just in time. They had no wings or magic horns, but what they had would have to do. Black and white manes swished in the breeze as the parents reared up. "RUN! GALLOP!" the father ordered them. "KEEP HER SAFE!" the mother shouted to the brown colt. He glanced at his sister, a white pony with a black mane. Her large eyes, fearfully locked on her mother, welled up with tears. Mustering what little courage he had, the colt nudged his sister away and the two bolted off to the left. As soon as their flanks were turned, they heard the most horrible sound their little ears ever caught. And it would stick in their minds like a black thorn for the rest of their lives.

If he were really looking, Squallmane would think the wood paneling was glowing. His eyes were bright yellow, lit up like fireflies. From the corner of one, a single tear trailed the contour of his face, glistening in his own light. He downed the rest of the appquiri, all in one gulp.