Sweetie Belle

Roleplay Type: (WOE) World of Equestria

Name: Sweetie Belle

The little white foal bounces happily, her voice squeaking in her excitement. "Hi, it's really, *really* nice to meet you! I asked my big sister Rarity if, as long as I answered all the questions on the paper just like I was supposed to, if I could also say hi to you myself, and she said that would be all right!"

(( OOC: That is to say, I got Helpstaff approval before doing first-person stuff. If you just want to look at the main app, then read the black-and-white text. Anything in color is extra in-character flavor. ))

Sex: Female

She glances downwards, a bit of a pink touch to her cheeks. "I am almost a filly, really I am! I'm sure me and my friends are going to get our cutie marks any day now!" Her eyes shine with excitement and confidence.

Species: Unicorn

"Oh, it's very exciting! I'm actually using my unicorn magic, lately! Even Scootaloo is all excited about it!" The little foal wriggles excitedly.

Eye colour: Pale green

Coat: Clean white

Mane/Tail: A soft, curly pink and purple

Physique: Foallike roundness but with boundless energy

"I work really, *really* hard at taking care of my coat and my mane and my tail, just like my big sister taught me! She's the prettiest pony EVER, and someday I'm going to grow up to be just like her!"

Residence: She lives in Ponyville with her parents, in the upstairs bedroom looking out over the lake

"Well, USUALLY I live at home with mom and dad, and I love them very much, and I love my room there! It's got all sorts of toys and makeups and everything! But what's really, really special is that my big sister keeps a room just for me at her home, too! So I get to have TWO bedrooms! The one at my sister's house has really tall ceilings and doesn't have as many toys, but it's got more makeup, and a really nice mirror, and it's very, very special to me! Isn't that amazing? how many foals get to have two bedrooms? I'm so lucky!"

"Wellll, I guess I don't REALLY have an occ ... occ ... occ-cu-pation ... I mean, I do chores and get an allowance? Like helping mommy make breakfast! Dad says I'm going to get a cooking cutie mark! But my big sister Rarity doesn't seem to like my cooking as much... " Her face falls briefly, but then brightens again. "Anyway, I've got pretty good grades at school! That's kinda like my occupation! I have good vocabulary scores, and good scores in creative writing! I have a few problems in history class, but I'm doing all right at math. But what I really think of as my solemn duty is to be a Cutie Mark Crusader, and meet with my friends as often as we can so that we can find our cutie marks! Then I'll get a *real* occupation!" She jumps up at this last, her voice cracking, and her horn gives off a lil' green spark.

Cutie Mark: None

She just kinda bites her lower lip and glances away, letting out a soft, "Ummmm..."

History:

Sweetie Belle's hero has always been her big sister Rarity, and she has always wanted to be just like her big sister when she grows up. Her parents were often busy with work and the like, and they frequently left Sweetie Belle to be watched by her big sister - so her oldest memories are often about watching Rarity trying so hard to be fashionable and popular at school, and studying about far-away cities ... but always making time for her, too. This hasn't really changed as they've both grown older - except that now their parents are often gone for several days at a time, instead of just for the evening.

Not that Rarity always did it with the most grace - they are sisters, and their fights were wildly dramatic and usually very loud. They held fierce, terrible grudges for short times, and then forgave each other with tearful reunions as only sisters can. This happens at least once a year.

Among Sweetie Belle's other early memories that stand out in her mind are those of travel. She and her sister were often brought along on trips with their parents. These were often business trips, but there was a solid rule in the family - business trips were only business during work times. When not actually working, it was a vacation - so extra time was made before or after to visit the tourist spots of anywhere their father had to work. These were the bonding experiences that tied them together as a family, and gave Sweetie and Rarity such a view of the wider world outside of Equestria.

However, the most seminal moments of her young life were firstly, meeting her friend Scootaloo, and secondly, when she and Scootaloo met their friend Apple Bloom. When she first met Scootaloo, and they started hanging out together, it was the first time she really got pulled out of her idea of how young fillies were supposed to act. Scootaloo was not at all like Rarity's attempts at refined dignity and self control. Scootaloo was wild and imaginative, and didn't seem to care what anypony thought about her. She had a mane that was shorter than the boys, and dove head-first, 110%, into everything she did, with almost no planning. It made Sweetie feel like anything was possible, and Scootaloo led her into some of her first detentions at the schoolhouse! She was frantic and terrified for the first one, but after that it got a lot easier. Apple Bloom was more stable and planning, like Rarity, but without Rarity's high-class airs. Apple Bloom was down to earth and practical, as much as any little foal can be, and gave Sweetie a third idea of what little fillies could be like. Together, the three of them have become the Cutie Mark Crusaders! And there is nothing Sweetie wouldn't do for her friends.

"My ... history? You mean, like, what I can remember? Ummmmm ..." The little unicorn foal lifts one hoof to scratch at the side of her head. "Well, I guess, my first memory? I think it is, anyway - sometimes I think one memory is my first, sometimes I think it's another, I can't remember what order they happened in, but this one was when my big sister Rarity was babysitting me. See, mom and dad were supposed to be home soon, and when they did, she was going out with some of her friends to somewhere? Maybe a carnival? But there were going to be some colts there, and she was making herself prettier, and she was really nervous. So she put on a record and the music was really strong, and it was from a play, and it was about love and strength and being who you are and people loving you for yourself, and I remember her seeming a lot calmer after listening to it, and smiling. And that's when I realized music can be magic, too! And that's when I started using music to make myself less scared, except I couldn't use the record player because I broke some... um ... most ... of the records ... so I had to make my own music. Is that what you mean by history? I have lots more stories! I gots LOTS of history! What do you want to hear about next?"

Character Summary:

Right now, Sweetie Belle is at that stage in every foal's life where she's trying to figure out who she is, and what she wants to do. It's terrifying, that big world out there, but she's facing it as best she can, with the support of her friends. She still wants to be just like her big sister Rarity, and her dream, that she's had for years and years, is that the two of them will both be famous fashion ponies, and move to Canterlot, where they'll have a Sisters Boutique and be wildly successful, until they both meet princes and get married and become princess sisters, just like Princess Celestia and Princess Luna!

However, that dream, as much as she still holds to it, is starting to shift and change, thanks to the influence of her two friends. She's seeing herself as more than just a copy of Rarity that can never quite live up to Rarity's easy grace - she sees more possibilities as to who she can be, what she can do. But sometimes it scares her, too, because if she's not supposed to be like Rarity, then who IS she supposed to be like? Everypony seems to have all these ideas about what she could be ... but who is she, really?

Well, when the world gets too frantic, and all these expectations come in too hard and too fast, and everything seems to be so confusing, she can find refuge in music. Nothing special or anything, she just comes up with little songs to sing to herself to help everything make a little more sense. Everything is easier when it's set to music - whether it's working on her homework or chores, or if it's working on some fantastic project with her friends, or even if it's just settling down after a hard day, music just makes everything run a little bit smoother. Sometimes other ponies actually hear her singing her little twiddles, and it embarrasses her greatly, especially when they make a big deal about it. She's HEARD the magnificent operas and the amazing songs done for Mareway theatres, and she's in awe of the sheer musical talent involved there... and she knows she can't do anything like that. But she enjoys her little songs anyway, and couldn't stop them from slipping into her mind, even if she wanted to.

"Describe myself? What do you mean? I thought we did that back with the mane and eyes and stuff?" The little unicorn foal tilted her head to the side as she listened to the clarification. "Who am I?" She bit her lower lip, glanced down a second, then looked back up. "Well ... I don't know yet, do I? I mean ... I'm trying to figure that out. That's what all this is about, right? Figuring out who I am? That's what these questions are about, and what we're trying to do as the Crusaders, right? Find our special talents? I don't know. I think ... I want to be somepony special. Somepony pretty, like my big sister ... but I also want to be brave, and active, like my friend Scootaloo! And I also want to be reliable, like my friend Apple Bloom! But ... that's not enough, really, because that's all them." She bit her lower lip, her eyes shining with tears of strong emotion, but not sad, exactly, just ... touching too close to something in her young life. Finally, honesty emerges. "There has to be something unique, something that makes me ... ME. And I don't know what that is yet ... what if I'm not special? What if I'm just ... somepony who tags along and does things cause other ponies wants to? But I don't actually have anything special about myself? I have to believe that there's something unique about me, something that makes me ... Sweetie Belle. And when I find it, I'll get my cutie mark. But until then ... I'm just going to enjoy being who I am, even without knowing what that means. I know, that sounds silly, but I ... I have a song about it."

She listened, head tilted.

"What? Oh, um ... no, it's not ... it's not a song I heard, I made it up. Nopony else knows it except me. Oh, I can't! I ... well ... maybe if you turn off the recording? Then ... well, all right."

She straightened up, her cheeks bright pink, and took in a deep breath, breathing from the diaphragm, and started singing softly.

If I grow up, just wonder if it's not,

if I don't get to Canterlot,

will that be all riiii-eeii-iiight?

If our boutique isn't quite as neat,

and my prince I never meet,

will I be just fiiiii-eeii-iiine?

If I know just exactly who I am.

I! Am Cookie Crumble's daughter!

The spitting image of my sister!

And when the day is done, my papa's still my biggest fan!

Sometimes I'm clueless and I'm clumsy,

But I've got friends who love me!

And they know just where I staaaa-eeaaand!

It's all a part of me,

and it just shows who I am!

Archived