Shipping is Best Saved for the Shippers (Closed: Steel, Alison, Sturm, ?)

SteelEagle

Tiny Apple Valley was splendid this time of year with bare trees, the first pangs of snow dotting the landscape and covering the trees signalling that of all things baking season was upon them. All the apples had been bucked and sorted and as they started to slowly spoil in the storage, they would be left with only those for for baking. Bumpkin would have fun with that, but that told Caramel that she was about to deal with a whole host of transportation troubles that only seemed to hammer away this time of year. They were far more fragile than apples, which made her regret how well the farms had done this year in harvest.

Oh well. This was the farm life, love it or leave and while she didn't necessarily love it like other members of her family, she felt the same stirring in her blood and this translated into her unique position as the main book keeper and transportation wiz. That stirring was stupid and was going to lead her into a whole mess of trouble and work this season. Better to get everything even momentarily entertaining out of the way so she could spend the coming months engrossed in work and being generally a miserable little pony. What better way to spend her last moments of tolerable personality than with her coltfriend?

Muggo' Ale had proven himself an entertaining stallion and in all honesty that's what she wanted out of a coltfriend at this stage in her life. She didn't need some silly sod or a completely serious stallion, just a stallion with priorities, a job, and a sense of humor. Muggo' Ale passed that test with flying colors and that was why he was invited to the farm for another date. Caramel was ready, mane cleaned well for the first time all week and her tail significantly poofed. All she had to do was wait for him to show as the sun started to fall over the cityscape.

[colour=#000080]"Bumpkin dear, are you ready?" [/colour]Caramel yelled as she checked herself in the mirror once more, hoping that Bumpkin's nervous energfy that had been exploding all over the place like out of control unicorn magic was going to be corraled at some point. What had gotten into her? Almost as she thought it, Caramel rolled her eyes. Her sister was defined by that zany energy.

Muggo' Ale had finally had time to settle down, after a repeated string of adventures. He didn't mind, of course: they were with some good friends of his, after all. But he loved his bar, and he'd had to leave it far too much. He'd returned a week ago from Itaily, and was happy to just relax, especially given that winter was on its way, and he quite enjoyed that time of year.

He'd gotten Caramel Apple's letter a day or two ago, quite happy to hear from her again. With how busy he'd been, and, he guessed, how busy she was too, they hadn't had time for much beyond the occasional letter. But, this time was different, and now Muggo' was making sure he was looking proper for another date.

Dressed in a nice shirt and rather warm jacket (given that there was snow already on the ground), he pulled on his usual hat and stepped out of the bar. Today was actually one of his days off, and as such had the entire day, and evening, free. As the sun slowly started to make its way down toward the horizon, Muggo' Ale made his way out of the city, toward Tiny Apple Valley.

He trotted up the path to the house and raised a hoof to knock at the door. He was excited to see her again, because he quite liked Caramel. A good sense of humour, and an ability to just let loose and enjoy herself, despite the stress of having to run a major operation like the Apple family finances. Not too much of one side, or the other. He stepped back from the door and waited for somepony to open it.

Bumpkin was in all sorts of a frenzy as she threw her saddle on and quickly brushed her mane back using her expert skill to dodge all of her snarls and curls. Leaving her hoofkerchief on she looked in the mirror and applied a bit of 'Southern Grace' to herself as she shook her mane back to its normal position and swished all of the days work off of her body. With a sigh and a last once over of herself she grabbed a set of small green boots with yellow trim to match her saddle and her hookerchief she quickly pounced into them.

[colour=#a52a2a]"I will be right there dearest sister!"[/colour] Bumpkin shouted down to her ever-loving sister who always seemed to be calm and collected at all times even when the farm was on fire, ok well...it was one tree, but still that was some crazy stuff!

[colour=#a52a2a]"Is your Coltfriend here yet?"[/colour] She asked not even sure if she was supposed to be rushing or if her sister was just being preemptive. Bumpkin herself was never really cold and that is why during the Winter Wrap Up of last year she helped clear the fields of snow with her cousin Apple Bloom without even a jacket on. It was too much fun being cold as it kept her more awake and attentive then she normally was. Summer being all hot and dreary never really lead to a productive Bumpkin until it hit Apple Harvesting Season, then the foal-boots were off and she was all in. It didn't take her long to finish getting ready as there wasn't much for her to even get ready with. She quickly brushed her teeth and rinsed to make sure that her breath would be 'Minty Fresh' when or if she happened to get that lucky kiss on that lucky special-somepony of hers. She quickly trotted down the stairs from her room and stopped to a dead halt right next to her sister and as if on que she grinned and spoke.

[colour=#a52a2a]"I can only imagine how amazing today is going to be!"[/colour] It was true that she was overly excited but she had every right to be.

Bumpkin was quick with the boisterous, joyous energy that usually defined her but even for her there was some crackling unknown subtext about her this day that struck Caramel odd. What was going on with her sister today? She shrugged as she trotted to meet her sister. Bumpkin was dressing to impress, it seemed, which was a stark contrast to how Caramel looked. Caramel's mane and tail were clean and styled nicely and her coat was newly washed, but she lacked the rather large scale of her sister's design. No saddle, no boots, no expertly done mane- Caramel felt like she was the odd one out, not the one with a coltfriend coming over.

[colour=#0000cd]"You look amazing, Bumpkin. What's with the get-up? Last I checked, I'm the one with a coltfriend coming over,"[/colour] She giggled curiously, head moving to the sound of a knock at the door. She smiled.

[colour=#0000cd]"As for my date, I do believe that will be him. How do I look?"[/colour] She asked, posing subtly for a moment before tossing her mane and drawing close to the door. Before she opened it, she looked back at her sister and winked.

[colour=#0000cd]"You WILL tell me who's coming over, sweetie,"[/colour] She stated simply, though whether it was a threat or just a statement was open to interpretation. With that out of the way, she opened the door and saw her stallion. He looked rather Muggo' Ale'd.

[colour=#0000cd]"Hello, Muggo'. Pleasure to see you agin. Please, come in!"[/colour]

Muggo' Ale heard muffled voices and movement behind the door, and it opened to reveal Caramel Apple. As pretty as ever, he'd readily admit. With a warm smile, he tipped the brim of his cap. "Pleasure's mine, Caramel," he said as he stepped inside at her invitation. He noticed her sister, or at least who he guessed was, given their resemblance. She seemed to be quite dolled up in comparison to Caramel, and even Muggo' Ale was starting to feel a bit out of place in his hat and jacket. "How's ya gettin' on? Work's windin' down a bit, what with the weather an' all?" he asked. He couldn't imagine the farm would be too busy during the winter, but then again, Caramel ran finances, which could be a year-round thing. He looked over at the rather excited mare nearby and chuckled, nodding his head in greeting. "Muggo' Ale, pleasure to meet ya," he added, before extending a hoof toward Apple Bumpkin.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at her sister and her coltfriend she slightly giggled and waved a hoof to her sister.

[colour=#ff8c00]"OH but if I told you who was coming for me then it wouldn't be as good of a surpirse!"[/colour] She let out another of her soft giggles before she stared at Muggo' Ale right in the eyes and unflinchingly stated:

[colour=#ff8c00]"Hello, my name is Apple Bumpkin, and this is my big sister Caramel Apple she is really interested in you and you make her happy so I approve of you." [/colour]She took a shallow breath before she pushed on past Muggo' completly ignoring his outstretched hoof, not that she had intended to be rude or unkind it was more of a situation that she had more on her mind at the current moment then her body would let her express. She let out a sigh and then flipped her mane out of her face and tried to smile. She kept facing forward and looking out at the farm as it seemed she lost track of where she was or what she was thinking and then turned around to Muggo' Ale and giggled shaking his hoof now.

[colour=#ff8c00]"Nice to meet you Muggo' Ale!"[/colour] She was now grinning ear from ear as it seemed all of the thick thoughts in her head had passed for now.

Caramel smiled, shaking her head as she led him inside and sighed. Farm work never got easier, it just changed form. And winter brought with it a new wave of work that she had little choice but to deal with endlessly.

[colour=#0000cd]"I wish, Muggo'. Even a normal farm has a lot of hard maintenance work to take on during the winter so we can hit the spring running, and the poor weather makes transportation across Equestria much harder. Then you have towns reliant on imports panicking over long term projections for the season and asking for a higher-"[/colour] She stopped and facehooved.

[colour=#0000cd]"I'm not discussing business. Sweet Celestia, not tonight!" [/colour]She said with a nervous giggle, shaking the back of her neck and patting him on the back. "No, not tonight."

Bumpkin was sure acting a bit weird, thought. She seemed to be a hurricane of barely constrained chaotic impulse, a windup toy stuck in neutral without any way to vent. Even in the best of times her sister was a bubbly personality who was given over to her own unusual quirks, but the tizzy she had worked herself into seemed to have consumed her senses. This was beyond silly. It was borderline manic, madness, and worry. She was worked up over something. Worried, Caramel placed a hoof on her forehead and shot her a concerned. After a moment, her hoof lowered.

[colour=#0000cd]"She seems fine...excuse my sister, Muggo'," [/colour]She began with a smile,[colour=#0000cd] "She is dressing for somepony else and seems to be a bit wound up over it. Follow me to the kitchen, I know that trek from your bar to here can be a tiring one,"[/colour] She finished with a pleasured sigh, trotting gainfully into the kitchen.

[colour=#0000cd]"What can I get you?"[/colour]

Muggo' Ale raised an eyebrow at Apple Bumpkin's odd greeting of him. He stood there with his hoof awkwardly outstretched for a moment before her greeting suddenly turned warm and she ended up shaking it. "Nice to meet ya too, Apple Bumpkin," he said pleasantly. He looked back at Caramel Apple when she answered his question about work, then admonished herself for talking about business. "No worries, that was me fault anyways," he said, smiling as she patted it back and returning a one-legged hug around her neck. "No work, no business, just fun," he agreed with a smile.

Muggo' watched his fillyfriend check her sister and declare her fine. "Aye, can be a bit rough in the snow," he half-joked. It wasn't bad, and like any earth pony worth the name, rough terrain was nothing to him.

"Just some cider, if ya got any left from the season," Muggo' requested when she asked about getting him something. Out of earshot from her sister, he chuckled a bit. "Yer sister seems a bit on the tense side," he commended quietly with a bit of a shrug. "Must be one heckuva b'y she's goin' to see." He hadn't really met her, and didn't know if Apple Bumpkin was normally this excited and distracted, or if it was due to the date she was dressed up for.

• 1 month later...

AppleBumpkin2withtextattmept2.png

Apple Bumpkin let out a soft giggle as she looked at the two, they did look absolutly adorable together and it sure made her smile to see her elder sister happy.

[colour=#a52a2a]"Well now that introductions are over, Sister you asked me who I had invited?"[/colour] She giggled and flicked her tail about. [colour=#a52a2a]"That, I can not reveal at this time, if I did tell you that then it would ruin the surprise!"[/colour] She flicked her tail some more as she leaned close to her sister and booped her in the nose with another giggle. Bumpkin was sure as all get out excited and knew that today was going to be AMAZING and PERFECT. Her grin only widened as she strutted back up-stairs to her room and started to sing as she flopped on her bed, surely that her sister could hear but she didn't really mind as she hummed about in her peaceful bliss.

Her mind was filled with her hopeful special somepony as she flipped her mane about now as well and closed her eyes.

Caramel was many things and gracious, courteous host was one of them. She had saved several kegs of the season's superb cider for special occassions throughout the new year and the first time her personal gentlecolt found himself in her good graces most certainly qualified. She nodded her head warmly at his request and trotted away into the cellar. It didn't take but five shakes of a tail for her to get some mugs and fill them full of cider, balancing one on her head, another on her back, and holding one more firmly with her tail. She may not have been a bartender pony, but any Apple family member that didn't have some basic skills with dishing out cider was an Apple pony hardy worth his or her salt, and Caramel believed rather strongly that she was worth far more than others gave her credit for anyway.

She found her way back up slower than she had left, making sure to keep the drinks from spilling. Truly, that would be an awful start to the evening, and if her sister's energy was telling the tale accurately then the night was going to be one to remember. The mystery pony that had her in a tizzy was going to be a secret best revealed later, but that didn't stop Caramel from flipping through the mental catalog of her sister's admirers. A stunning number, to tell the truth, but no good leads yet. The night would tell all regardless and she hoofed over one mug of cider to Muggo', tossed the tail mug back up front where she caught it, and then laid the final one on the table next to her sister.

[colour=#000080]"A fine vintage, Muggo'. I'm sure you'll appreciate it,"[/colour] She knocked the mugs together before turning her attention to Bumpkin, who was lost in some wonderful daydream. Her date must be dreamy, which ruled out some of the permanently friend-zoned. She was going to say something, but thought it best to leave her sister to her adventure in fantasy. She nudged her date and motioned him into the other room, taking a deep drink of beautiful cider.

[colour=#000080]"How have you been lately?"[/colour]

Muggo' Ale couldn't help but laugh a little at Bumpkin's antics. To say she seemed excited would be an understatement, and now he even found himself curious about who it was. He smiled at Caramel Apple while she went to collect the cider, and he waited. Once she returned, he chuckled at the sight of her expertly carrying three mugs of cider.

"Ya'd make a fine bartender," he joked. He took his mug from her with a word of thanks, grinning at her rather impressive little trick of tossing the mug (something he'd never try, even if his tail wasn't short. He would probably end up spilling the drink on himself, or somepony else).

Muggo' followed her to the next room, taking a sip of the cider as he did, immediately following it up with a longer one. By Celestia, that was good. His own cider wasn't bad, but then again, she was from the Apple family. Leave it to them to know how to create amazing things with their namesakes. He shrugged at her question. "Not a bad bit nice. Been rather busy, an' not just with work. An' some of it's frankly hard to believe," he said with a chuckle. "Like a trip to Unyasi." He sipped his cider, then added in the same casual tone, as if it was just another day in the life of Muggo' Ale, brewmaster. "With Prince Blueblood."

There was a beat when he realized how that sounded, and he facehoofed. "Celestia t'underin'...I swear I haven't been drinkin'," he assured her with a chuckle. "Long story short, the Prince was lookin' for an artifact there, an' he only was able to find it with a piece me, me buddy Dunder, an' his buddy Fire Walker found. Was quite the adventure."