(Canterlot) Curiosities (Open)

Ancre

Canterlot, the city of majestic spires and winding alleys, held many colorful sights, like little-known and better-known secrets, there for anypony who took the time to look at the streets she was walking in. There were buildings from ages past and there were modern masterpieces, there were streets turning into stairs that led you down the hills, and alleys covered with glass roofs that seemed to take you through buildings like secret passageways. For the curious traveler the city was like a maze, slowly built by generations and generations of scholars, magicians, and diplomats, revealing many shops, libraries, restaurants, and other curiosities nested inside ancient buildings.

Perhaps the city's excentric character explained why [colour=#808080]Moondrop's[/colour] attire didn't seemed out of place. She was wearing a large, pointy red hat adorned with a pattern of golden stars ; a pair of glasses, twin golden circles, rested in front her eyes ; and a long red mantle covered most of her body, closing in front of her neck with a golden clasp in the form of an owl. She sometimes pulled it back to grab something in the brown saddlebags she carried along. The white unicorn looked like an extravagant wizard visiting a similarly extravagant universe, as if she was coming out of a foal's fairytale book.

And for Moondrop life was like a fairytale. Finally free of the sheltered existence she had lived, she was discovering for the very first time the many wonders of her hometown. And, with her job going well and the money as well, she was spending her newfound freedom in a shopping spree today, buying ancient books, dusty tomes of magic, sewing instruments and materials, and whatever interesting curiosities she could find. With a large population of magic student and foreign visitors the shops of Canterlot always had strange things to sell, and it was those she was most interested in, along with the stories those items carried.

Right now the white unicorn was entering one of those shops. A wooden door and a few steps down off a covered arcade led to a dim-lit room, filled with messy clutter, piles of books laid on the floor, a carriage with one wheel pushed against a wall, a staircase leading to a mezzanine, with zebra masks, paintings, and a saddle hanging on the barrier, and many, many more strange goods haphazardly thrown around the place. The entire shop had some sort of mystical charm to it, despite (or perhaps because of) the clutter, and Moondrop wondered who held it, or even if anypony was there ...

[Hello everypony ! I'm trying to go back to roleplaying after a year of leave. For the curious among you, the shop and Canterlot are pretty much inspired by EQD's Canterlot pictures and Paris' covered alleyways. Thank you for reading !]

It was good to be back in the city he was born and raised in. As Lore Weaver traversed the city streets, he looked about to see if there were any changes since he had left and moved to Ponyville. There were some new businesses and a few that he used to visit but were now replaced by another type of shop or restaurant but much had stayed the same. The young unicorn stallion turned and made his way down a covered alleyway which was known for its interesting shops that sold everything both magical and mundane. He was always on the look out for something to bring back to Ponyville with him like an interesting book or object. Magic was his greatest love, and anything he could get his hooves on to study or use, he made every attempt.

He then proceeded down the stairs and into a very curious shop filled with many things. Poking around, there were already a few things he wanted to inquire on. The trick was to find who owned the shop. Lore then spotted a strange looking pony dressed in a cape, some interesting glasses, and a large hat. She looked like a magician of old or one from a fantasy book he sold at a store. To see somepony who dressed like that in real life was slightly inchanting to the unicorn. Maybe she was the owner. After all, her dress fit in with the look of the store.

[colour=#800080]"Excuse me, but do you own this shop?"[/colour]

Alone in the shop, led by her curiosity, Moondrop begun exploring. The chaotic room was like a dragon's den, a treasure trove, filled with wonders to look at. Little toys, old hats, dusty books, broken furniture ... Humming a little tune to herself, the unicorn absentmindedly started cleaning up a little bit. Dusting the goods, putting them back on the shelves, making neat little piles, slowly slipping inside her own little world.

She had a thousand questions dancing in her head. Where did it all come from ? Why sell such a strange collection of wares ? Was it an inheritance from a distant uncle ? The results of many adventures spent abroad ? Unable to come up with a reasonable explanation, the little unicorn started daydreaming stories after stories, each of them a little bit more implausible and fantastic than the last.

She didn't hear the other pony come inside the shop. She did hear his query, however, and jumped out of her reveries with a little squeal of surprise. [colour=#696969]"N-no, I'm not !"[/colour] she stammered, turning around to meet the newcomer.[colour=#808080] [/colour][colour=#696969]"I just came in a few moments ago, I haven't seen anypony."[/colour] The unicorn eyed the trail of orderly goods she had left in her wake. [colour=#696969]"Uh, I can see where you got that idea though ..."[/colour]

She chuckled in embarrassment, and then kept quiet, timidly shuffling her hooves.

At first the pony didn't respond to his question, just went on tidying up the store. From the look of things, there was much to tidy up as everything was haphazardly put into piles. Before he decided to ask again, the pony suddenly squeaked with fright before hastily trying to explain how she wasn't the owner.

[colour=#800080]"Sorry for scaring you like that. I guess we're both looking for whoever owns this store. By the way, my name's Lore Weaver. What's your name?" [/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

[colour=#696969]"Oh, I'm, I mean, my name is Moondrop."[/colour] the white pony fidgeted uncomfortably.[colour=#696969] "I guess we are both inquisitive ponies,"[/colour] she agreed,[colour=#696969] "I just came here because I was strolling around." [/colour]

[colour=#696969]"I haven't seen any shop owner though, that's curious."[/colour] Moondrop concluded with a nod. [colour=#696969]"She, or he, shouldn't be far, I guess ... Let's look around together ?"[/colour] She proposed with a tentative smile.

The sheltered unicorn was unaccustomed to social relationships, and she didn't quite knew what to do - but she was trying her best. Perhaps, she thought, perhaps she could even make a friend ?

[Apologies for the wait ! I was sick. Have a little something while I get better : ) I'll write more next time. ]

The pony in front of him appeared to be very nervous. It was as if she didn't venture out of her house often. Her strange personality was futher shown in the way she dressed. Being robed in a cloak, Lore could barely see the appearance of the pony other than the fact she was a mare. It was like she was hiding from the world.

[colour=#800080]"Nice to meet you Moondrop. That's a lovely name. Yes, we can explore this shop together. I came here to find any books or magical artifacts." [/colour]

While walking, Lore wanted to try and carry a conversation with the pony. He knew that someponies were very outright is speaking to others while some needed to be approached.

[colour=#800080]"So do you live in Canterlot, Moondrop?"[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"I do live in Canterlot, but I don't go out very often."[/colour] Moondrop replied politely with her usual soft spoken voice, happy to engage in a conversation.[colour=#696969] "Do you live here as well ?" [/colour]

[colour=#696969]"There's a lot of books around here,"[/colour] she continued, adressing Lore Weaver's earlier concern,[colour=#696969] "although I don't know what kind of book you're looking for. But you should find what you like, since they're as varied as the place is messy."[/colour] She smiled.[colour=#696969] "I don't know about any magical artifacts however."[/colour]

The timid pony started exploring the shop once again, neatly reordering the goods she happened to pick up. She poked her muzzle inside the forlorn carriage, looked at book titles, dusted and tried fancy hats, all while making small chat with Lore Weaver.

[colour=#696969]"I just came in here because I was curious. I love going outside for a stroll and visit the city, there is always so much to see !"[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Well I was born and raised here in Canterlot, but I recently moved to Ponyville to start my business. I own a bookstore there, so that's why I'm always on the lookout for interesting books. Thart, and of course I love to read them." [/colour]

Lore was happy that the pony was opening up to him. He found it very awkward being with ponies who were not open.

[colour=#800080]"Yes, I see there are several piles here," [/colour]Lore said examining the book titles that made up a short stack, [colour=#800080]"I like all kinds of book, anything to spark my interest. Magic is something I really like. Although I'm not super good at casting spells, I like to study the throries. [/colour]

Lore then peered into a carriage and saw that there were books contained inside. He tried to lean in to get a closer look at the titles when suddenly he fell in with a crash. that echoed through the area.

[colour=#800080]"I'm ok. The books broke my fall," [/colour]a voice was heard inside, [colour=#800080]"Just let me check some titles. It's great that you go out often. Canterlot is a big place and it always keeps changing. Even being raised here, I still probably have only explored a quarter of the city. Are you looking for anything in particular here?"[/colour]