Moondrop [Unicorn]

Ancre

Name: Moondrop.

Sex: Female.

Species: Unicorn.

Pelt colour: White.

Mane/Tail/Markings colour & Style: White.

Eye colour: White ; she have a very poor eyesight and need glasses to see.

Cutie Mark: Two gear wheels. Her cutie mark is a very light shade of grey, close to her pelt's colour.

Physique: She's a frail-looking little pony.

Origin: Canterlot.

Roleplay Type: Mane RP.

Motivation: Moondrop wishes to go outside, to travel the world, to make some friends and to see Luna if she can, one day.

Likes: Shows and Stories, travelling, discovering new things, glasses and clothes.

Dislikes: Loud noises, large crowds, and being unable to go outside during the day.

Character Summary:

Moondrop have always been living a sheltered life.

She was born an albinos unicorn, her pelt, her mane and her eyes a cold and dull white. Her parents named her Moondrop because of this. She liked that name, it made her feel special, as if she was a little fragment of Luna's masterpiece that dripped on the planet, forever bound to the night, instead of just a frail, nearly blind, sick-looking pony who could never see the sun nor the light of day because of her condition.

Concerned about the health of the little pony they adored, her parents protected her as much as they could. She lived all her life locked in her home, rarely going outside, and having to wear layers upon layers of protective clothing whenever she did. She never went to school, she had private classes at home ; she never had any friends, she never was invited to any parties ; and even if she had her family, her cousins, and the doctors to talk to, she often felt lonely as a little foal.

The world outside was forbidden to her, but she was free to dream any world her imagination could create. Little Moondrop had her toys, her wooden painted ponies, her plushies, and with them she made wonderful stories, where courageous ponies went on perilous journeys, saved the world, and had tea with princess Luna and princess Celestia at the end. She had her books, and she could read for hours on end. And she had the night sky to watch during the night, through her bedroom’s window, when her parents thought she was asleep.

And she had an entire house to explore as well. Every day had its share of experiences and discoveries. Moondrop would go treasure-hunting in the attic, or she would try to help her mum cook the dinner, or she would learn to sew clothes, there was always something to do for an imaginative little pony. And Moondrop was imaginative, and very curious as well ; she was always eager to try something new. She liked to learn, she wanted to know how everything worked, and she was never scared to experiment.

She gained her cutie mark that way – one day, as she was once more left alone in the house, little Moondrop set her eyes on the great, old grandfather clock in the living room with an eager smile. It was a big piece of furniture, decorated with sculpted and polished wood, protecting a massive clock with simple iron arrows under a thick glass window ; and from the insides of the machine came a mighty bell-like ring that indicated the passing of time.

But what Moondrop was most interested in was the machinery inside. It amazed her that ponies invented a device to measure time, and the wonders of its conception amazed her even more. She wanted to know how they did it, she wanted to know how it worked. So that day, the little filly opened the clock and started to dismantle it.

The mechanism was fairly complex, involving dented wheels, levers, weights, and all sorts of things their name she didn't even knew, all set up in a carefully planned organization. But very soon the white unicorn found which key she was supposed to turn when the machine lost momentum ; she quickly understood the pattern of the machine's mechanisms ; and eventually she got bored with it, as it had only one function after all, to make the arrows of the clock turn at a certain speed. She was disappointed that, for all the possibilities this machinery had, it served only one simple purpose.

The little pony then started to explore what other things she could do with the pieces of the clock. She tried different projects, different ideas ; she worked all day on her new discovery, thrilled to see the possibilities it offered. With such a tool in her hooves, and all the imagination she had, she could create entire kingdoms, entire worlds, that could come to life for real, with just a turn of the starting key ! She had so many ideas, so many projects that came to mind ! She had no idea how to realize half of them, but she felt like it was possible, she just had to learn how to do it. Oh, the stories she could create ! Destroying the giant clock of the living room created a whole new world of possibilities for her.

That day, when her parents finally came home, they were greeted by an overexcited filly who led them into their house, and pulled a lever that was oddly hanging there. With a background of shifting gears noises, the curtains opened themselves, slowly revealing to the horrified couple the state of their living room. Their clock was struck down and its contents spilled out on the floor ; most of the pieces were missing, they had been reassembled and hanged in various parts of the room, still pulling strings back and forth. With one last click the record started by itself as well, playing a boastful march. It was a complete carnage. The little pony couldn't look prouder of what she did.

They would have yelled at her if it wasn't for the spark of light on her flank, which promptly faded, revealing … something. It was a light grey colour and difficult to decipher against the white of her pelt. Moondrop, still quite unaware of the mess she made, gained her cutie mark that day : a pair of dented wheels. Upon learning the news she started to let out little giggles of joy and hugged her parents, who smiled at their filly and hugged her back. That night they had a big party, and she was gently but sternly reminded never to destroy other people's furniture again. But after that day, things were never exactly the same for the little pony.

Along with her cutie mark came her first steps in magic, and Moondrop quickly proved herself to be quite competent at it, even if she never took the time to master anything but a few useful spells. Her room slowly turned into a workshop as she started to sculpt and paint her own wooden toy ponies, sew her own plushies, and experimented different clockwork mechanisms that could make her toys move by themselves, or enhance her stories with a variety of strange projects. She never had any formal training, but she had her books, and lots of imagination and hard work shaped her skills into the near professional state they are today.

Moondrop still lived all alone in her house, doing what she always liked to do, making up stories with her little pony toys. But the stories she made took a grander scale - the unicorn drew everything she could from her readings, stealing ideas from mythology stories, from classical literature, from history books, from any source she could find, and shamelessly mixing them with her own inventions. Her toys no longer travelled through countries made out of stashed books, green blankets and thrown pillows ; instead she carefully sculpted, crafted and painted every background piece she needed. And Moondrop mechanized all she could as well, so that with the careful pull of a few strings, all her world could come to life, with every toy pony moving by itself, leaving her to do the narrator's role. The little pony could work for days to create the right universe and to make it work exactly the way she wanted ; building stories was just as much fun as playing them.

She could have been proud of her creations. Instead the white unicorn felt foalish ; she was embarrassed to spend her time playing children games, and did her best not to bring the subject with her family. Instead Moondrop did all she could to grow up faster. On her insistence her parents reluctantly let her go outside, accompanied at first, then unsupervised, provided she respected all of the rules they laid down for her. She started to visit her hometown city she barely knew, limiting herself to the few roads her parents mapped for her, in fear of getting lost ; it wasn't much, but it was already a lot for her. She visited museums, she visited parks, she visited shopping malls, everything she could see was a new experience for her. And she even managed, with a lot of courage, to talk to shop owners and to find herself a little job, sculpting and selling simple toys in exchange for some money.

The young mare still felt like the awkward filly hidden under odd-looking dresses and hat she once was ; but her life had changed in so many ways that she knew this feeling wasn't true anymore. She was free to go outside, she had a job, and responsibilities now. Her parents seemed to trust her, even if they still buried her under constant attention. And all of her dreams seemed far more attainable now. If only she could gather a little more courage in her life …

This is a very intriguing character!

I see many parallels between her childhood and that of Rapunzel in Disney's "Tangled", but in a good way!

As a child, I used to take my toys apart to see how they functioned, including a big clock!

Moondrop would be out 'discovering the world' for the first time, and this adds a quality of charm to her personality!

Excellent work!

Hi Mojo and MLPTales !

This application is almost finished ; I am not happy about the story, and I am trying to correct it, because my character isn't exactly what I want to play. This is taking longer than it should because of work ; but I am in vacations at the end of the week and this application will be done by then ! (It is nearly over after all.)

Thank you for the comment Mojo ! It is true that she have similarities with Rapunzel, I haven't thought of that before. I love that movie ! And yes, Moondrop knows nothing about the world, that's part of what makes her fun !

Sorry sorry sorry ! Ive just managed to log on again on Canterlot (and I have yet to access to the chat and to a lot of stuff too, it seems every website on the internet freaks out when I try to log on from Algeria ... :x ). This application is not forgotten, I just uh haven't had the time to do something about it. I will however.

I am keeping the character (and I'm nearly done, I hope). I'm sorry for the long wait.

Blindjester, I'm rewriting the end ; I posted it unfinished because I had to save my work somewhere at the time, and the ending you can read here is still rushed and need rewriting.

I am working on it right now. Hopefully I will be done before going to sleep.

Also, I must never post a pony during vacations again ! I've dragged this for way too long. Sorry again.