The Angered and Possibly Broken

DarkStar

Hello once again everypony,

Me again with a possibly silly question regarding the Mane RP and a character I have in mind even having any potential of being a part of it. As some of you may know, my main original character Dark Star, formerly known as Star Bright, is so far a plain science fiction bad boy. Of course, I'm abandoning that little bit about his tights, parachute, chain-gun, helmet, and whatnot. Through and all, I realized that the little bit about sci-fi is completely unnecessary as to what his purpose is. He is not meant to be some exterminator of dangerous extra-terrestrials... after all, there is no meaningful magic in death and destruction.

Though that little bit on my character will be permanently abolished, I do want to keep at least some parts of him, and I was wondering if anything left about him at all would be applicable to the World of Equestria. Dark Star is not really like most ponies... then again, what pony is like most other ponies? Anyway, I meant that in the sense of emotional disposition and state of total imbalance(either it truly is an imbalance or I seem to be confused). The black as night stallion is quite the bundle of anger... one whom had gone through an emotionally traumatic experience(still not sure of what it should be), and it turned his whole ponysona upside down, changing his life dramatically. Whether it's for the better or worse, even I am unsure yet.

To his modern day, I plan to make him a sort of wanderer of Equestria in his search for himself. Since his adolescence, he finds it very difficult to stay as a friend with someone else, thinking that the other pony somehow hates him, or if they don't at this very moment, then maybe Dark Star will wind up doing something to hurt them severely, to the point where they will dislike him for sure... and he feels insecure to the point where he feels it will inevitably happen at some point. Through his traveling, he of course has great limitations as an Earth Pony, and can't simply lift with telekinesis, or fly towards a summit. He learns how to climb and maneuver through his environment, and gains a decent amount in terms of strength. Though it is only physical strength...

There is also the possibility of his colors going through a change. No, he is not a changeling, but his change in colors is supposed to represent the flip-flop of his lifetime. Since he was born, he had a brilliant white coat, with a black mane and tail. Since his traumatic experience, and through his shift from a bright and happy colt who got along with everypony to a rage filled, hateful and serious stallion with an ironically strong sense of justice... his fur coat turning black as night, and his mane and tail become as brilliantly white as his fur coat once was. The parts of him that are still white represent the inexplicably good nature that survives within him with a might that not even his evil side can conquer. This remaining good nature acts somewhat as a guide; a code of conduct. His conscience... it's the only thing that keeps him from destroying everything around him and causing others unimaginable pain and suffering because of his grown hate.

My purpose for this pony is for him too to discover the wondrous magic that is friendship. Despite his strong will that comes from the strength he's gained, he still longs for that one, maybe several others that he could finally call his true friends. He is not just some cold, heartless individual that cares nothing for others. In fact, it is the exact opposite... whenever he witnesses the happenings of good friends laughing and playing together, it's one of the only things that brings a smile to his face. At least some others unlike himself have such a privilege, and he respects the bonds between friends like no other. With his strong sense of justice however, he often times will resort to threatening to do harm... whatever is necessary to drive bad ones away. Though of course, he plans not to become acquainted with those he manages to protect, no matter how much he wants to, for fear that he might cause them harm as well... because of his mysterious quirks, he is often quite the enigma in the social arena.

With all of this explained... would some of these, if any of these traits be possible for the World of Equestria RP? I've been thinking for a while about applying him for it, but I didn't want to blindly head in without any sort of guidance...

Questions like this have always been difficult, because each player and their creative vision for a character share different wavelengths with what, exactly, Mane RP is. World of Equestria isn't ruthlessly gated from characters that may be seen as dark or different; it's kept to a high standard for specific characters that share a design close to Friendship is Magic. We want characters there to be designed like you would see them in a real episode, as Mane RP is made to be like an extension of that world and character type. What else happens when an episode of FiM ends? This RP answers that.

With the information you've provided, this character will take a serious re-design before he will be ready for Mane RP. Emotional problems, imbalance, rage, and intense anger really have no place in a character there. We have characters that are cranky or naturally snarky (Cranky Doodle Donkey, many OCs), but emotionally traumatized characters will not work.

I'm not sure about the colour change. It's entirely possible for a pony to change colors as they age, or they could colour their coat a different colour (Mayor Mare's pink to grey mane is a great example of this), but just changing because of emotional issues will probably not be welcome.

Ask yourself if this is a character that would be fun or interesting to play with. Angsty ponies that have emotional or rage issues probably don't sit well in that environment. I recommend that if you want to try a character like this for Mane, you keep the character simple, focusing more on his positive strengths and quirks, and down-playing anything dark or tenebrous about the character. This is designed to be a lighthearted, happy roleplay that is a slice of FiM, and you will have more success getting a character into that if you are careful with how you present your ideas to match that world.

I hope this information helps. We have many talented and creative staff that are willing to help you design your character, but you must be prepared to make changes you may not like or agree with. We're here to help you and work with you, so approach the process as something fun and collaborative. Thanks!

• Like 1

This was extremely helpful! With this, thankfully, comes new ideas. The emotionally traumatized part is actually what kept me at bay the most... simply because I had no idea of what should have happened to him that would cause such turmoil. Now that this has been made clear, I think I'll simply not include that at all. Though I do intend to pipe down on the more dark tid-bits about him. What I intended for him of course was to try and eliminate these things about him overtime. To the point where he shouldn't need to act all defensive anymore toward others. Though I guess if that were to be happening, Dark Star would be a permanent work in progress... but basically, my idea was to bring this character back from the depths of his own madness with the hopes that he'll soon find himself and stop dwelling in darkness. Sorry if that's confusing, I just like to talk in riddles sometimes. >.> After some soul searching for myself recently, I suddenly discovered why this character even exists in the first place. It's a manifestation of myself. It's probably silly to do something like this, since it is only a roleplay character. Still, I'm more than willing to make the necessary changes needed if I'm ever to involve this character in a world that contradicts all that I know about life. I'll definitely try my best to revise his characteristics, and hope that he turns out alright in the end. ^^

Rosewind has offered a beautiful explanation and some great advice of the situation, but dont forget that we do have other RP options available that do not have the steep requirements of Mane RP. If you would like to pursue an RP with a darker element, or tackling more adult issues, we do have a crossovers forum and a free-for-all forum at disposal for you to use as well.

Looking forward to what you come up with :)