Love and Other Awkward Emotions (Ended)

Lux

It was a really impressive sight, looking at Haywire's tree house. The structure was so massive one could swear that it was another house. The place looked strong, one that could accommodate a mare and not just a filly. She couldn't help but notice the charred sections and the places that were rebuilt.

"Making fireworks in your tree house," she said giggling, "This place is amazing even from the outside! Kind of reminds me of one I had as a filly. Of course it was just a one story house with a swing with mine, but it was neat because the tree was in the middle of the farm and you could see everything! Sadly the tree got stuck by lightning and has to be torn down."

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Yeah, I reckon ya noticed all that," Haywire said with an embarrassed grin, "that happened a few months ago. Mah big sister says I shouldn't be mixin' up any firecracker rocket powder, but what kin I do? Oncest them merchant poines wouldn't sell me no more rockets, i read up on mah chemistry and decided ta make mah own! I know what i'm doin', well, most of the time nothin' goes wrong."

"Good thing I installed that emergency escape hatch fer ya!" added Hayseed before the stallion listened to how Carrot Top lost her old treehouse. "I'm surry ta here that, Miss Carrot Top. If'n ya want me to, I'll gladly rebuild it fer ya!"

"Well, anyway, here on the first floor I keep mah stuff in this here carved out closet space," Haywire said, opening a small door to show many shelves with bottles of chemicals in them, 'I figgered out how ta mix household cleanin' items an' a few more things, inta the black powder I use ta power mah rockets. And here's where I keep the wood I carve inta slingshots! I break'm all the time, so I need ta make more. Miss Carrot Top, would ya like one? I kin even show ya how ta use it!"

As Carrot Top listened to Haywire explain about her attempts to make fireworks, the mare wondered if it was a good idea for a filly to be doing something dangerous. She didn't want to upset the filly by telling her that she didn't think it was ok, especially knowing that it appeared that Hayseed approved of it.

"Well, as long as you are safe and have your brother or sister help you then you should do fine. Who knows, maybe that'll be what your cutie mark will be for!"

Hayseed was kind enough hearing her story about the fun she had in her tree house to rebuild it but she shook her head.

"Thanks but no thanks Hayseed. Having a tree house was great as a filly, but now I have my own house."

Carrot Top then looked at one of the slingshots that Haywire made.

"Thanks! I would like one that you made. Maybe you can teach me later once I see the rest of your tree house."

"Here ya go, Miss Carrot Top!" Haywire neighed as the happy filly gave the mare a slingshot, "this here's one of mah best designs! Jist wait till ya see the upper deck!"

"Ya might wanna back up a little, Miss Carrot Top," Hayseed cautioned as Haywire leapt up and grabbed a hanging rope, her own weight lowering a narrower set of stairs down to the lower deck. When it reached the bottom, the staircase locked in place.

"Climb on up ta see mah observatory an' greenhouse!" the blank flank filly announced as she shimmied up the hanging rope to get to the top floor ahead of the others.

"After you, ma'am?" Hayseed said politely as he tipped his hat.

Carrot Top was amazed at the ingenuity the Hay Family had in making this tree house with its different secret doors and stairs. The mare was eager to see what else the filly had planned to show her as the stairs descended to gain access to the new area.

"Why thank you," Carrot said with a giggle as she winked playfully at Hayseed. She then entered into another floor, one that she wondered what new things to discover.

As Carrot Top and Hayseed ascended up the stairs, giddy Haywire was there to greet them!

"Look what all I got up here!" the rust colored filly neighed as she pointed to all of the areas and things as she discussed them.

"Over thar's mah observatory! Kinda gives it away with the telescope and star charts on the wall an' all, don't it? I love lookin' up at the sky at night! And over thar's my little greenhouse. I grow cute flowers ta sell ta tourists an' I also got some tree seedlings I'm carin' fer too! Thar's a few rubber trees on our farm, and rubber trees make the rubber I need fer mah slingshots! And over here's mah top deck labratory. See all them glass test tubes an' such on that table over yonder? I jist got those from some old Pegasus dude with a funny accent. I only mentioned to him how much I love chemistry an' he gave me all this here stuff! Said it was all his extra stuff from his own lab and he knew I'd put it ta good use."

"I think the guy's name was crash... crash... Krashkop! That's it! Professor Krashkop! Ever heard of him, Miss Carrot Top?"

Carrot Top upon reaching the top of the second floor marveled at all that was around her. It was an interesting collection of interests from stargazing to growing things, to even chemistry.

"Wow you quite a lot of interests here. You know, I like to go out of my house and into the garden at night and look at the stars sometimes. I don't have a fancy telescope like you but it's neat to just watch the skies. It looks like you are a great gardener too. Kind of reminds me of what I do during the winter, planting some new flowers or herbs in pots inside my house to make sure they're warm."

Hayseed asked Carrot Top if she met Professor Krashkop before. For a moment Carrot tried to put the name to a face but then a light went on in her mind.

"Oh yes, I met Professor Krashkop before. I think the first time I and other ponies were trying some drink from these two unicorns wearing hats and singing and then everypony started acting weird. I think the Professor had to look for a cure to the drink."

"Thank ya so much, Miss Carrot Top!" Haywire neighed. "An' I do the same thing in winter time, move all mah plants inside. Gotta care for'm as good as I kin when the snow starts a'flyin'!"

Hayseed was surprised to hear about the time Carrot Top had first met Professor Krashkop.

"Oh yeah! I did hear tell bout that mess. Them Flim Flam brothers never learn, do they? Anything more ta show us, sis?"

"Nope, that's it. Sure is nice ta have visitors up here! Say Miss Carrot Top, wanna take a look through my telescope? Don't know if thar's anythin' interestin' in the sky now, but feel free ta take a peek if'n ya want!"

"Well, I'm glad you're taking care of your plants," Carrot said smiling at the filly, "Actually to keep some plants warm I wrap them in newspapers."

Carrot Top then heard Hayseed mention about the Flim Flam bros, those who were responsible for the accident that Professor Krashkop had to assist in helping.

"Oh yeah, those two. I remember drinking that stuff and my voice becoming so loud that it was like I was yelling the whole time! But thankfully I got better."

Haywire asked Carrot Top if she wanted to look in the telescope.

"Sure I'll look. Maybe I'll find something in the sky."

The mare looked into the eye piece of the telescope looking at the sky. Mostly she saw clouds, but then she saw a Pegasus or two fly by. With the power of the telescope she could get a good look at the ponies rather than seeing just a colorful dot.

"That's really neat. I can only imagine what it would look like at night."

"Yep! Y'all kin see a lot in the night sky!" Haywire neighed happily, "Y'know, Princess Luna raises the moon and all, but ya ever wonder where all them stars come from?"

"I never really thought of that before, sis," Hayseed said before turning to Carrot Top, "Have you?"

"Well, I drew up some star charts here of the ones I've seen fer the past year," the blank flank filly said as she pulled down a few crudely drawn star charts, "see these? I wonder if'n all these stars has got names?"

"All the stars in the sky ain't as purty as you, Miss Carrot Top," Hayseed whispered shyly to his Very Special Somepony.

"You're right, I do wonder where those stars come from," Carrot Top said looking at the sky, "I mean the stars are still there even in the daytime. We just can't see them because of the sun. So I think that the stars are always there. Not sure if Princess Luna has any part in it."

The mare was then asked if stars had names.

"Not sure about that either. I know there are certain constellations that nave names."

Carrot blushed as she was given a compliment about her.

"Awww... that's so sweet, although I can say the same thing as you Hayseed."

Hearing Carrot Top's response put a goofy grin on his face as he blushed. Then the work stallion looked deeply in the eyes of his very special somepony.

"I love ya, Miss Carrot Top," Hayseed said softly.

"I think I'll leave y'all alone fer a while," Haywire said as the rust colored filly walked over to a metal pole and slid down to the lower level.

"Being with ya makes me the happiest stallion in all Equestria! You're the best thing that's ever happened ta me in mah whole life!"

"And I love you too," Carrot Top said after Hayseed said that again he loved her. The two staring into each other's eyes was only briefly interrupted by the fact that Haywire felt like she was going to make an exit.

"Well, it looks like your sister hasn't seen you in love before. But yes Hayseed, I am happy that you are here and that you love me. In fact i can say that I'm the happiest mare around in Equestria. When I was a filly I wondered about the special somepony I was going to meet one day. Funny how sometimes the best things happen by surprise. I have to say that you as well are the best thing that happened in my life, better that finding my own farm and home and even better that getting my cutie mark!"

"Golly, Miss Carrot Top," Hayseed said softly, "I'm really happy ta hear ya say all that. I feel the same way about you!"

The farm stallion moved closer to Carrot Top as he smiled at the mention of his little sister.

"Reckon ya gotta point thar, Miss Carrot Top. Haywire ain't never hadda boyfriend, not even at school. Guess she's still at that age when she ain't lookin' fer one. Y'know. while we're up here, thar's a really good view of the whole farm. You kin see a lot from the back balcony. Come with me."

Hayseed walked over past the small greenhouse to a small balcony, leading her over to the railing.

"See what I mean, Miss Carrot Top? And everything ya see out thar belongs to mah family. Every tree, every field, but not that mountain in the back, that ain't ours/"

Carrot Top could see Hayseed move closer to her as the two of them shared a moment to themselves.

"Yeah, I guess that she's not ready about love yet. Maybe one day she will find a special somepony who likes her as much as when i met you."

The earth pony mare then followed Hayseed out into the balcony where she gazed over the vast farmland. She was amazed at the beauty before her and how the stallion took pleasure in the fact that his family owned the land.

"It is very beautiful! i can't believe how much land you have. did your family own this for a while?"

"This land's been in the family for many generations, Miss Carrot Top," Hayseed said with a smile, "When our parents went into retirement on the Gallopigos Islands, they left the entire farm to us. Since then all of us pitch in and help out with all the chores. Haymaker does all the sellin' and household stuff. I'm in charge of harvestin' the hay, which is why I built a lot machines ta help me out. Little Haywire does what she kin, but mostly Haymaker and I want her to concentrate on her education. She could be the first Hay family member ta go to college, if'n she ever applies herself enough."

"I HEARD THAT, BIG BROTHER!" Haywire shouted up from the base of the tree.

"Well it's true, sis! Yur plenty smart and you could really do well in school if'n ya wasn't such a class clown!"

"I ain't denyin' what ya said, I jist don't like school!"

"Oh well. Hay Miss Carrot Top, how far did ya git in school? I did manage to graduate mahself."

Carrot Top listened as Hayseed told the story of his family and how he and his sisters ran the farm.

"Well it looks like your parents really loved you enough to trust you with the farm. Glad to see that you three have figured things out between each other. You all seem to be really happy. With me my parents still have their vegetable farm, but I decided a few years after getting my cutie mark. I guess I wanted to strike out on my own and see if I could make a business for myself. Now my farm is nowhere as big as yours or even my parents but it works out fine.

Hayseed then asked how long that Carrot attended school which made the mare think back to that time.

"Well I did graduate from school but after that I started my business. My parents taught me a lot though like how to plant, sell, and operate a farm. I guess your parents were like that too, right?"

"Reckon we do have that in common too," Hayseed said with a wide grin on his face. "So, would ya like ta see more of the farm? Thar's still the grindin' mill I could show ya."

"That's a good idear, big brother!" Haywire shouted up from below.

"Hay little sister, are ya gonna keep listen'n in on all our conversations?"

"Nope! I'm done! Reckon I'll leave ya two lovebirds alone fer now!" Haywire giggled, singing as she walked away, "Hayseed and Carrot Top, sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G, first come love, than comes marriage, than comes some foals in a baby carriage!"

Hearing Haywire's song caused Hayseed to blush so much, the red could be seen through his facial fur.

"You know, the more I think about it and the more I'm with you, the more i realize that we are very similar. I guess that's what makes us love each other so much. And yes, I'd like to see more of the farm."

Carrot suddenly heard Haywire speak again from below the two ponies. To her surprise the filly suddenly broke into a song which made the mare's cream colored face turn red. Although Carrot didn't get embarrassed easily with what ponies said, this little tease caused her to react more especially with the talk of marriage and having foals.

"Err... your sister is quite the little teaser huh?" Carrot said seeing Hayseed was also as embarrassed, "So, you want to show me the rest of the farm?"

Hayseed glanced back at Carrot Top, noticing that she too was feeling very awkward by Haywire's impromptu song.

"Yeah Miss Carrot Top, that's a good idear," the blushing stallion said as he lowered the wooden stairs so the two could safely exist the treehouse. "We could go over to the old mill, it's not too far away."

Climbing down the stairs, Hayseed led his very special somepony across the field and over towards a tall wooden structure with a big paddle wheel on it's side. Water flowing from above would cause the huge wheel to turn slowly.

"This is our grinding mill. We do grow other things on this farm besides hay, things like corn and wheat. Here is where we grind our corn and wheat into flour that we sell on the side. We also keep some for ourselves to bake bread and other baked goods over the winter months. Want to go inside and see the inner works?"

Carrot Top took one last look at the spectacular view before heading down the wooden ramp and back to the farm. The two then headed out to the structure where the massive water wheel turned slowly.

"Wow. This is really neat. I've seen grain mills before but never this up close. Did you build this or was there here when you were given the land? I'd love to see the inside of this place."

Hayseed smiled when he heard Carrot Top's latest question.

"Well Miss Carrot Top, my pa and I built this mill a long time ago. Me and Haymaker were jist foals then, but we helped dad out where we could on this project. It's this mill that gave me an appreciation fer how machinery works. Every time I go inside here, I still marvel at all them big ol' gears an' pulleys movin' around in here. Let me show ya!"

Hayseed opened the huge door and lend his very special somepony inside. In the center of the inner structure was a huge wooden beam with a large round-cut grindstone on the end. Since the mill wasn't in use at the moment, the beam was locked in a stationary position as the water wheel outside continued to turn. The lower grindstone was also visible along with many huge meshing gears and wooden chutes that connected to much of the upper parts of the mill.

"As you kin see, Miss Carrot Top, this mill was built to grind a lotta grain at once. If we were makin' flour now, I'd pull this big wooden lever down and lock the water wheel to the grinding beam. Then as the wheel turned, the grain poured in between the two millstones would git ground up. But the water wheel doesn't only run the grinding operation. It also powers the sieve that sifts through the flour an' the conveyer belt that loads the milled flour inta the grain sacks. Every once in a while gears will wear out or we have to replace the grindstones, but other than routine maintenance, this good ol' mill works like clockwork! Wanna watch me grind some wheat with it? Got a couple bins of grain that need grindin', I was gonna wait till tomorrow to do it, but if'n ya wanna see this mill run with yur own eyes, I kin do it fer ya!"

Carrot Top smiled as Hayseed described how he helped build the grain mill. It was more than just a useful project to ease work. It was more like a labor of love. When the mare stepped into the place she was amazed by the machinery that was around her, including the massive grinding stone.

"This is fantastic! I've never been in a grain mill before as my parents were usually the ones that bought grain, and that was from a farm. Not even sure if they set their hooves into a place like this. It kind of reminds me of the produce barn. This was a big old barn that was on a hillside. After harvesting, we'd load everything into a wagon and then dump the veggies down a chute and into the barn. There was a windmill that moved all the conveyor belts like right here and even pimped water in. After everything was loaded into the chute it would travel down the long conveyor belt where any of the bad veggies were fished out. Then they'd be washed and put into baskets at the other end, ready for market! At where i am now there's a smaller version for cleaning and inspecting carrots, a present from my parents that they helped build. But anyway here I am talking a blue streak. I'd love to see this mill in action."

"Wow Miss Carrot Top, I'd love ta see that machine you described!" Hayseed neighed. "Sounds like a lot of moving parts in motion. An' speakin' of movin' parts, I'll git this mill going for ya to see!"

Hayseed proceeded to load the bin with grain before pulling down the large lever to activate the mill. Soon, the turning water wheel began moving all of the gears and pulleys of the machinery. The two grinding stones came together and started to do their work. As the contents of the bin was pulverized into flour, the flour began to flow downward through the chutes to the sifting apparatus just before the flour fell into an open grain sack on the other end. As each bag was filled, Hayseed quickly moved each bag to be sealed and then finally sent down the final chute into a waiting flatbed wagon. Within a half hour, a dozen fresh sacks of flour were produced in this manner.

"There you are, Miss Carrot Top! These sacks are all ready for use or storage. Just have to shut this down now," the brown pelted Earth stallion said as he pulled the main lever up again to disconnect the main grinding shaft. "All done!"

"Yep, there's some machinery involved with cleaning veggies, but definitely not as much as here."

Carrot Top watched as the room around him sprung to life. The once silent gears and pulleys started to move and turn as the grain was crushed and sifted together in a swift motion.

"That was very interesting. this must make things really easy for you and your sister to make the grain. How many grain sacks do you fill in a day about?"

Archived