Sweet Surprise's Candy Cart (Open)

Lux

The Grand Galloping Gala was an event like no other with different events and lots of ponies! So what a better place for a party pony, and what an even better place than to maybe do a little business of her own? Sweet Surprise carefully rolled what basically amounted to a wooden cube on four wheels into the Dance Hall, coming to a stop right by the line of food.

"This Gala sure has tons of food," Sweet Surprise said, "But there's one thing that this party doesn't have..."

With that the young mare pushed a button on the back of box. The structure began to shake as if something was inside it. Then two shelves popped up from the top of the structure, each containing three racks of candy. The sides of the box fanned out, revealing some triangular shelves, filled with various jars of sweets. The backside flipped open, revealing shelves for bits as the front panel of the box opened as a shelving unit looking like steps popped out with baskets filled with loose candy.

"My Super Candy Cart 2.0 worked," she said with a giggle, "Now there's just one thing to do."

She hung a banner on the sides of the shelves flanking where she stood that read: Sweet Surprise's Candy Cart and placed a sign that read "Open."

"Alright ponies, time to satisfy your sweet tooth!"

3baoIs.jpgPiccafilly

fScvss.jpgMisty Magic

Phoebe Piccafilly, the founder of the Equestria Orphanage, walked over to the candy cart with her friend Misty Magic, a unicorn with very uncertain magical powers.

"A candy cart! How delightful!" Piccafilly neighed, "and so many varieties too! I'm Phoebe Piccafilly and this is my friend Misty Magic. First Gala for Misty, I've been invited a number of times."

"Very pleased to meet you," Misty said timidly.

"Don't be so bashful, Misty. You can relax if you like."

"But I'm, well, afraid of, you know."

"It'll be alright, Misty. Just be careful about what you say and everything will be just fine."

"Ok, Miss Piccafilly, I will watch my words very carefully," the petite yellow unicorn mare said as her horn flashed. Immediately, all of the words she had just spoken became visible as white wooden letters floating above her. When she saw them and screamed, all of the letters tumbled down on top of Misty, knocking her down to the floor.

"Oops, sorry," Misty said, the two words she uttered now visible in floating letters too.

"Don't move, I'll fix this," Piccafilly said as her horn glowed, instantly causing all of the letters to vanish as she turned to Sweet Surprise. "Terribly sorry about all this. Did you make all these delicious looking treats yourself?"

The chocolate brown mare smiled as she saw her first two customers. She was a little leery about setting up a stand in the Gala especially with all those yummy treats nearby, but she wasn't going to waste any time helping these two.

"Hi Phoebe and Misty! I'm Sweet Surprise, although you probably knew that from the sign. Of course I could be named Cocoa and then that would have been really awkward for you two."

Before Sweet could launch into everything she had on the cart, the filly named Misty suddenly produced wooden letters out of thin air, sending them tumbling down. Thankfully Sweet and the cart escaped the letters, well almost all of then. A rogue letter I hit Sweet on the forehead, leaving her dazed for a moment.

"Ouch! That I almost hit me in the eye! I'm starting to thing vowels are out to get me."

The mess was cleaned up as the earth pony explained about the candy.

"Everything on this cart is edible. Even I'm edible. But that, dear ponies, is called cannibalism and is prohibited in Equestria. But yes, everything I made here out of the finest ingredients. Do you two have a favorite type of candy?"

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry Sweet Surprise!" Misty cried out, seeing that the candy making mare was injured by her misfiring magic.

"Do you need medical care?" asked a concerned Piccafilly.

"Oh dear! It's all my fault! I'm really in the doghouse now.."

"MISTY! NO!" Piccafilly cried out, but it was too late. Instantly, poor Misty found herself trapped inside a medium sized dog house in front of Sweet Surprise's candy stand.

"Help me! I'm stuck!" Misty's muffled shouts echoed outside.

"I told you to be careful with your words," the red maned unicorn said as she turned to Sweet Surprise. "Very sorry about all this."

"It's ok. My noggin's been hit by things before like with books, a large mixing bowl, and even a pony fell on my head! I don't need a doctor though, I just need to figure out which one of you is the real pony and which is the clone."

As her mind and vision recovered from the injury the two Piccafillies merged into one.

"Oh there you are," she said as suddenly the unicorn named Misty produced a doghouse!

"Oooo! I love that trick! Wish I can do that then making candies would be a snap! Hey, when you get out of that doghouse, can you like produce a huge bag of bits or even my own candy store. Oooo... make me a Princess! I want to have a horn, wings, crown and things! I'll be the Princess of the Candy Kingdom!"

"Please Miss Sweet Surprise, don't give Misty any such ideas," Piccafilly said gently as her horn flashed as the doghouse Misty Magic was inside of vanished.

"Oh thank you," Misty said as she turned to Sweet Surprise. "Do you have mint candies? I love mint candy! Ones covered with chocolate are great! Wnen I eat one, I get the sensation of being on top of a cold, windy mount..."

Quickly, Piccafilly rushed over and clamped Misty's snout shut before she could finish her sentence.

"Er, do you have any mint candies?" the red maned unicorn asked.

"Oh ok then," Sweet said as the thoughts of having bags full of bits faded from her mind and back into fantasy. She smiled at the unicorn's request but then her eyes went wide as the filly mentioned a snowy mountain. Thankfully she was silenced before a mountain of snow appeared in the dance hall!

"Ok then. Mint chocolate candies. Hey did you know that my first mint chocolate candy was on accident? I just made some candy canes for the Hearth's Warming holiday and was mixing some chocolate. I guess I accidentally bumped the canes with my hoof and they fell into the the chocolate. But instead of throwing them away I kept them and you know what? They were a hit! Oh, do you like peppermint, wintergreen, or spearmint candies?"

"Peppermint, please," Piccafilly said as she released her hold on Misty Magic.

"I like peppermint too!" Misty said softly and carefully, trying her best not to accidentally trigger her powers.

"Have you made many sales tonight, Sweet Surprise?" The older red maned unicorn asked.

"Your candy looks delicious!" Misty neighed.

Vinyl was a mare in need of a good snack - she'd been playin' up in the dance hall for a while, and had left the stage for a while to give some of the other hired talents their chances to play around and get a little face time to the current crowds around the dance floor. Her real personal reason for vacatin' the spot, of course, was the fact she'd been vying for a sweet treat now for a little bit, and the market stall set up nearby in her line of sight had made her craving for something delicious all the more irresistable.

It was no good, the DJ mare needed to get into line ASAP - she braved the dance floors and gave a few highfives to some who might have met her on her walkabout through the crowds...she'd kept a bag of bits tethered to her side just in case something appealed to her and she couldn't get to her regular sidesaddle, which was currently stored out of sight in the performers rooms. Of course, the DJ would have to wait her turn a moment whilst another pony was being served, she wasn't about to make any demands to see to her immediately...she wasn't like other recognised famous faces in that regard.

Still, she was certainly regarding the treats on offer with due attention and interest.

Such a selection of sweets would make any pony salivate just glancing at them, and Vinyl Scratch was definitely no exception to the rule there!

"Nice, a pair of peppermint partaking ponies," she said with a giggle as she searched the cart for the candy, "Well, you two are actually my first customers, but the night is young. I'm not here to really just sell things but to have fun as well!"

Finally the pony spied the correct glass gar which contained the chocolate coated peppermint disks. There was always a concern that she didn't have enough for those wanting her candies, but she wasn't at her store where she could just whip up more candies. As luck should have it, she had more peppermint patties than the two ponies wanted.

"Ok, looks like I have them, and they're three bits a piece. How many do you want?

Sweet then saw a familiar white unicorn with glasses heading her way. She tried to remember where she knew this pony and then it dawned on her.

"Hey, I remember you! You were at that other party, the one in Ponyville where only mares could attend. Nice to see you again, oh and welcome to mu humble shop. What can i get for you?"

"Welcome to my humble shop" and "What can I get for you" are lines spoken by Marcus and Dr. Zed from Borderlands 2 upon interacting with their vending machines. Sweet Surprise is the pony of Easter Eggs!

Both Piccafilly and Misty Magic recognized the famous DJ mare in their midst. The younger unicorn mare could hardly contain her excitement.

"Vinyl Scratch!" Misty shouted as she dashed over to her. "My name is Misty Magic, and I'm a big fan of yours!"

"And I'm Phoebe Piccafilly, pleased to meet you," the calmer red maned mare said, extending her hoof to shake.

"I love the way you perform! Your musical creations have me floating on air!" the yellow petite unicorn announced, her horn instantly flashing as she rode upward uncontrolably. "WAIT! I DIDN'T MEAN THAT LITERALLY!"

Piccafilly's first reaction was to facehoof and then use her own magic to pull the frightened purple maned unicorn mare back down to the floor.

"I told you to be careful with your words."

"I'm so sorry, Miss Piccafilly. I don't want us to look like a couple of clowns in front of.. OH NO!"

Too late. Instantly, the elegant ballgowns the two unicorns wore were transformed into two brightly colorful clown costumes, complete with facepaint and rubber red noses.

It was upon reaching the sweetstall that Vinyl had the strangest feeling that this was gonna prove to be an interesting encounter...although it started off innocently enough - the vendor was pleasant, and clearly knew of her, as was to be expected...it was kinda hard NOT to know who she was unless you really lived under a rock or something. This particular event that was mentioned happened to be one of her more recent favourites, which just meant that she couldn't help but smile fondly when it was brought up.

" OH yeeeah, the marecon event - yeeeeeah, that was pretty unique for a gig out that way...I don't really get much chance t'play Ponyville often, 'specially one as open as that one was...even getting topped off by PRINCESS visits outta nowhere, that place really does have some of the best vibes! " She pauses as she contemplates the matter a moment and chuckles. " Might have t'scope out the chances of movin' up there some time, was exactly my kinda place...chilled out, but still workin' hard to be a great community. "

The next moment, she found herself being 'fondly' shouted at by a smaller unicorn - 'course, initially this proved to be rather standard fare: the exciteability, the fawning...all very familiar signs of a Vinyl Scratch fan being around. the DJ mare reacts in kind by giving a beaming smile of appreciation to the mare by means of thanks before she went on to shake her friends hoof...about to open her muzzle to speak when...

"WAIT! I DIDN'T MEAN THAT LITERALLY!"

Vinyl'd known of fans getting carried away before, but this was a new level of the expressions meaning on her - seemed like the pony had a small magic control issue...Vinyl just watched, suppressing an amused giggle as her friend helps her down with something along the lines of barely held together annoyance; from Phoebe's expression, it seemed she saw a lot of this particular magical derp from her friend, which no doubt likely wore down on a mare after a while...but like a friend, she seemed to bear this burden well and still diligently reversed the mistaken spell...she was okay, no harm, no foul!

A brief exchange between them then transpired, before an unexpected flash of light and then...clown costumes outta nowhere - Vinyl blinks behind the shades and raised an eyebrow.

"Well...that escalated quickly... " she utters aloud - realising with an inner mental chuckle that she just kinda wanted to reach out and honk one of the noses on the ponies.

She restrained herself with her normal professional air of indifference, of course, but that didn't make the fact that they both actually made for adorable clowns!

" Uh...this happen often, or is this just a nerves thing? " Vinyl asks curiously, for a moment her desire for sweet treats distracted by the amusing incident unfolding before her.

Sweet noticed that the two unicorns had all but forgotten about their order when Vinyl Scratch appeared. She knew that a party this size was bound to have its share of celebrities and important ponies. Why she even met two Princesses on accident at the food table! She knew that the two ponies would return to the task at hoof with purchasing a tasty treat.

"Oh yeah, Ponyville is a nice place. I live here in Canterlot, but when I heard that event was going on, I hopped the train as quick as you could say Chocolate Covered Cherries! And yes, I have some of those too if you're in the mood for something fruit related. They're some of the best treats I could Produce!"

Sweet then watched as the filly with her wild magic suddenly started floating into the air and then once grounded changed the pair's clothes to clown costumes!

"You two look ready for the circus," Sweet said beeping the red nose of Misty which made a honking sound like a bike horn, "Just don't change into mimes. They're scary, moving a round without saying anything..."

A chill went down Sweet's spine as if the mentioning of a mime brought back a bad memory.

Get the Produce pun?

"Actually, Miss Scratch, this happens very often with Misty," Piccafilly confessed as the taller unicorn mare zapped them back into their original clothes. "Misty means well, and she's a very good pony. But often when she uses figures of speech, her magic misfires, isn't that right, Misty. Just nod your head."

Sadly, the yellow petite unicorn mare nodded her head 'yes'.

"She and I are big fans, would you mind signing my autograph book?" Piccafilly asked as suddenly, Misty began a series of sneezes.

"Oh my! My apologies Miss Scratch and Sweet Surprise. Lately, I've been sneezing my head off."

"MISTY! NO!" the red maned unicorn mare screamed, then gave out a sigh of relief to see that her young friend's head was still firmly attached to her body.

"LOOK! Nothing bad happened this time!" Misty Magic cheered. "I'm cured! I feel like a queen!"

Instantly, her horn flashed and the petite mare vanished in a puff of smoke only to reappear on top of a towering, golden throne wearing a red royal robe with a big bejeweled crown on her head. Misty screamed when she saw the golden royal scepter in her right hoof. At that moment, one of Haywire's wayward firecracker rockets flew into the room, crashed into the tall throne and exploded. The throne was undamaged, but the sudden jarring was enough to throw Misty out of it, and now she started falling towards the floor.

"HHHHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPP!" the falling mare yelled out.

Welp, this was gettin' crazyweird - Vinyl could barely reply to the mare in charge of the fruitstand when some kinda loud noise, which was apparently a runaway firework of some kind, burst into the throne and threw out the confused Misty from it high into the air...forcing Vinyl to drop the conversation at once and focus a monumental amount of neon blue psychotelekinetic magic from her horn, manifesting a bubble of the energy around Misty quickly before she had a chance to land badly on the ground.

" GOTCHA! " Vinyl utters out loud, looking up at the bubbled mare before she sets the magical forcefield down and pops the bubble with her horn, letting the confused mare free once again.

" Seriously, what was that about? Who's goin' around here lettin' fireworks off through the window? Much as I love a wild party, at LEAST I keep it safe for other ponies! " the White unicorn comments, tweaking her shades with a hoof before then giving a small wry grin. " Well, most of the time anyway...can't help it if sometimes a couple of things get a l'il TOO hot for 'em to handle. "

Sweet Surprise didn't know what was going on with the one unicorn! It was everything she said came true. Sweet wished that she had that talent so she could just wish for candies to be made, and they would. Misty's next trick was becoming a very regal looking Queen, something that amazed the Earth pony. As if things couldn't get any stranger, out of nowhere a firecracker flew out and hit the throne, causing the filly to fall and be rescued by Vinyl Scratch.

"I take it the firecracker wasn't any of your idea," Sweet said removing the crown from Misty's head and putting it on hers, "I have to say though that you can create really pretty stuff. So, if there are no more games of thrones or firecrackers, then maybe you would be interested in some candy!"

Piccafilly had been caught completely off guard by Misty Magic's latest magic malfunction. She gave a sigh of relief when Vinyl Scratch had 'caught' the falling mare with her own levitation magic.

"Oh thank you, Miss Vinyl Scratch," the red maned unicorn said as she watched Misty land gently on the floor.

"Yes, thank you very much," Misty said timidly, "I'm so sorry about all of this."

"Yes, we want to purchase some of your lovely candy," added Piccafilly as she stood pondering. "If Misty didn't produce that firecracker rocket, then I wonder who did?"

"I wish we could see who did it," Misty quipped, her horn flashed. Suddenly, a large magical window appeared above the group. In that window was displayed the Happy Hooves Hop room and all of the events that led to the accidental launching of the firecracker rockets.

"Oh dear! That rust colored filly brought those rockets in and set them up!"

"But she didn't set them off on purpose! Look at that falling candlestand! It was all a big accident! I can certainly relate to that..."

"See that? There's some Royal Guards in the room now. That poor filly's going to be in a lot of trouble."

"Yeah, poor thing..."

Well, disaster averted - Vinyl wasn't used to playing heroine pony, she was just a mare from canterlot and such...she takes an inward sigh of relief that nothing went terribly wrong and returned her attention to what was going on rather than what she was thinking...and the image being displayed via the accidental window magic seemed to reveal the source of where the explosion had come from, and who caused it.

" I've heard of bringin' the boom... " Vinyl utters as she rolls her eyes at the reckless ponys visage on display. " But that's not quite what they mean when they say bringin' down the house! "

Remembering why she was here in the first place, she clears her throat gently and looks back over at the mare whom had been about to serve sweet treats to herself and the other mare - whilst they seemed preoccupied with what was going on, Vinyl taps a hoof on the ground, leant against the stall as she awaits them to return to the prior activities. She was due back at the dance floor any moment for her next set, and the last thing the white Unicorn wanted was to let down ponies by being TOO late for her next delivery of fresh hoof-picked musics for the general public to enjoy and get their hooves moving to, afterall!

"Great," Sweet Surprise said upon the renewed interest of the two unicorns in her candy, "Do you two still want the chocolate covered peppermints?"

Suddenly the filly with the erratic magic created a mirror that showed the place where the foals were and some very intimidating looking guards.

"Oh I hope everything is ok there. That poor filly must be scared out of her mind!"

She noticed that the DJ pony was waiting for her turn, and no doubt she was going to be having to return to play some music.

"Don't think I've forgotten you now. Is there a type of candy that you like?"

As soon as Sweet Surprise got her mind back on candy, Misty's magical 'mirror', golden throne, fancy royal robes and crown vanished.

"Yes please, I'll take a bag of choclate covered peppermints," Piccafilly said, "and so will Misty, just nod Misty, say nothing else, ok?"

The petite unicorn mare quietly nodded. She didn't want anymore magical mishaps this evening.

"So Vinyl Scratch, do you have any new musical projects in the works?"

Archived