Strangers in the City of the Unicorns (Thunderbuck, SteelEagle)

Blueblood

Feather touch smiled and let the atmosphere sink in deeply. The scents were wonderful. And the warmth made his wing joints feel better. It was as Earth Writer spoke that Feather Touch smiled. "I doubt I could afford anything like this. I have a stone bath and spa in the back room. But it doesnt see much use these days unless I soak my own wings in it..."

As they came to the waters, Feather let an attendant work on his mane as he sighed contentedly. But when her hooves touched his wings he turned and spoke. "Not... the wings please. I dont let others touch my wings. It's nothing personal. Its just that... well... they are far more delicate than they seem... too delicate to even let me fly. so please... dont touch them." He moved to let her work his back but his ears and eyes twitched each time she got close to his wings. There was a fear there. Not terror. but deep seated enough it disturbed the bath for him until she moved away from his wings. Once her hooves ventured elsewhere he relaxed again. 

The stallion was quite content to enjoy the bath like this. And it was not long before his eyes closed and he just let the water soak into his feathers slowly. The heat relaxed them. And made them easier to move again. His eyes opened again. and instantly moved toward a certain mare he saw near the oils and fragrances. As he moved toward her, he spoke. "Tell me. what sort of fragrances do you think would be best?" She smiled and spoke softly. "Brown sugar and cinnamon I believe." He nodded. "If you would please. I would like to enjoy that." She nodded and went to her task. 

Feather Touch was never one to turn down hospitality. But he took it in measure. There could be too much of a good thing. And what was more, was that there were many good things around right now. Beautiful ponies, warm baths with plenty of scent and relaxing massage. This was a lovely place. And he wanted to enjoy it all, just a little at a time so that he could enjoy each piece in turn. If their hostess was as sweet as she was beautiful, then there was cause to ensure she had the best of his stock sent to her each month. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heart Stopper watched the bathing with none of the usual reticence that ponies of Equestria reserved. What was this aversion to the body, this sacred sense of privacy, that they loved so? A pony was meant to be enjoyed like a fine wine. And at her palaces in the city, that is exactly how it happened. It spoke to the essential truth of her beliefs, did it not? An Equestrian could speak to harmony and privacy and being demure until it was time to get close, but throw them into her environment and they changed oh so quickly. They wouldn't be the first pair of Equestrians to discover that they could throw on all the airs of harmony they wanted, but deep down they were all animals of the same breed. And once they realized that, it didn't take for the other core tenets of her life to come into focus and be accepted as truth.

She was tended to by two aides as she sat on the side of the bathing area, her hooves dipping in and out as she did so. One mare constantly worked on them, while another gave her a back rub and occasionally fed her grapes. She kept a watch on her two charges, allowing her eyes to meet the reporter's when she found them wandering. His friend requested that the aides keep away from the wings- they did so. So touchy, so large. If she did ever sell him, should he even keep the wings? There was a nice market for dewinged pegasi. Likely not. He seemed kind enough, even for one with thief-blood coursing through his veins. The reporter's face told the story- he was loving it. And good for him, she needed them to see what came to those she was pleased with.

It didn't take too much longer for the bath to be over. They would be dried by a small team within moments. When it was all done, Heart Stopper approached. “Glad you two seemed to have enjoyed your bath. We have much to get to! Come, let us leave this place for now. We still have to get to the heart of your visit, if you'll excuse my pun. And I know you will,” she purred as she started to lead them out of the pleasure palace, confident of the items on her list ahead.  

One of the eternal debates that circulated with the wine-cups among the Bohemian crowd was whether one's civilization was inherently within a pony, or whether it was simply in their externals.  Take an Equestrian citizen from his farm, town, or city, send him halfway across the world with no connection to his native land, and what would the result be?  Would he retain the values of harmony and equality, or would he go native, as it were?  

To be fair to Earth Writer, had he been stranded on a deserted island, he would have retained the customs and beliefs of his fathers, for there would be no others to hoof.  But in a great and foreign city showing its best side to him, and softening his resolve with its luxuries... the externals of his civilization were being washed off, and what was left was an increasingly malleable stallion.

Of course, as wonderful as the bath was, he couldn't stay in forever.  There were only so many muscles that the attendants could massage into a state of esquisite relaxation, and what was more, it certainly would not have done to let one's hooves go wrinkly.  With the sound and grace of a pony fully satiated in sensuality, he emerged from the water, letting the attractive attendants towel him off, rubbing away the last remnants of his dirt and inhibitions.  It was in this state that Heart Stopper's gaze caught him, and her voice called him.  He didn't actually click his heels and attend, but he may as well have, given the alacrity of his response.

"Very well.  I think I can speak for the both of us when I say that the sooner, the better.  It'd be a real shame to let the shadows of standing debts and commitments linger over our visit, wouldn't you say, Feather?"  Indeed, with the medallion returned and that little family issue squared away, the pegasus would be fully able to enjoy his time in the wonderful city of Kastrot, and Earth would have his first bit of good copy to send home to the Chronicle.  What could go wrong?

Feather was more attuned to the ponies around him that his companion. That was his talent. Attuned to their displeasure and easing it. And as such, sensing that there were unspoken things behind beautiful faces came with that. He, however, smiled and nodded, "yes. Let us finish this matter." He hadn't brought the gem out since they arrived. He pondered just how they would react to it once it was seen. it had always brought a sense of calm to his clients. Allowing them to relax while they looked at it. 

To him, it was just a rock set in gold and mounted to a string. To them, who knows. As the stallion followed he kept his pace measured to Heart Stopper's. Staying just behind and to the left a bit. He was a gentlecolt as much as he was a therapist. As they walked, he spoke softly. "I will be very grateful to be rid of this burden. As I am sure the proper owner of the gem will be glad to have it returned safely." 

The stallion looked to his companion. Earth seemed enthralled. That was good. One should enjoy new cultures when one could. IT kept life lively and well lived. As they walked along, the pegasus noticed the walls and floor. Solid, built to withstand the ages. This was a castle meant to be a stronghold and refuge for the owner. One of many he figured. If one loved life, enjoy it. That was how he looked at things. As long as no pony got hurt there was no issue to be had. But in the back of his mind he had a sneaking suspicion as to why that gem had been taken in the first place. And he was beginning to see... if you did not have a horn you likely got the raw end of the deal. However his face stayed smiling and happy. his eyes roving and taking in the scenery. If there was one thing he could do, it was keep a good poker face.

• 4 weeks later...

Everypony was ready to go, which fit Heart Stopper just fine. Time was money and money became power, and in Kastrot nothing mattered beyond that. Of course. Heart Stopper's expression of her power was noticeably different from how others expressed it or even acquired it, but that just made her all the more effective. When you conquered a domain of expression and wielded the affects like an astute general, you could win ten thousand battles without ever resorting to violence. And for most of the time this was more than enough to be a guarantee of her power base being secure, and ensured her family had its position secure. The other members of her family contributed of course, but Heart Stopper played her game hard.

Which meant that she made enemies. She tended to turn enemies into friends rather easily- arranged marriages and relationships can do that- or at least found blackmail enough to silence them, but recently some other families had been playing a more overt game. It was causing the Heart family some trouble and the more normal methods of dealing with it weren't working. So now there was a journalist that was to be involved, and hopefully through him influencing the Equestrian government. The families they were having issue with were some of the same families who supported the King and Queen of Maretonia, so hopefully the osmosis of politics would put an end to the troubles.

No matter what though, it was a walk to reach there. They moved from the busier and lower class dock region into the higher class mercantile district. Businesses to the left and right, open markets, hustle and bustle, and every building had a variation of the same symbol. Some were full, colored hearts. Others were half-filled, or empty, and others were broken, each color and variation with its own unique meaning. They continued working for a while, until they reached a large intersection, at the center of which stood a large carriage where a large unicorn stood about and directed traffic. Upon sighting, he raised his hooves and the door to the carriage opened. The guards made a path. “Our ride, gentlecolts!”

It is the details of foreign cultures that stick out to one.  Sure, one reads about the differences in government, ideological beliefs, and economic organization, but when a pony is actually on the streets, the differences he notes are small, concrete, and vivid.  For Earth Writer, it was the markings on the buildings.

Graffitti was not all that common a phenomena in Equestria.  Manehattan might be an exception to that rule, but the reporter could speak for his own home city of Canterlot.  In that city of stone and marble, in many ways similar to Kastrot, the citizens would not have tolerated anypony marking up their walls for much of any reason.  Even temporary posters and advertisements were sneered at; if you were going to make a sign directing one to a business, at least have the decency to make it out of metal or wood!

So, it was the hearts he saw, drawn everywhere, that caught his notice.  At first he thought it grafitti, but as he went through the streets, they occurred with too much regularity for it to be that.  Not to mention that he never saw any guards trying to clean them off.  

As the trio approached their cart, Earth pointed at one of the hearts, a half-filled blue one, and asked, "What are those all about?  It seems a strange kind of heraldry."

Feather Touch kept quiet for the most part. Just observing. Taking the sights and sounds and enjoying them. His nose twitching ever more and more. taking in the smells, searching for several new ones to add to his collection. And what as more, was that for a brief fraction of a second, he saw Heart Stopper's expression change. It had gone right back. But it had been different. He noted it but let it go. She had her own troubles. Maybe he could help her there. The sight of so many hearts did intrigue him, but he left that to his companion. Earth Writer did ask first. Feather turned an ear to hear the conversation.

The carriage was nice. Feather Touch bowed to Heart Stopper before boarding. As he settled quietly into the corner seat. Looking out the window. He had the gem in his possession. Tucked away where no pony would find it until he was ready to reveal it. as he listened to the Heart and Earth, the pegasus wondered just what he might could do. He had plenty of things he could do as a talent. But honestly... There was little he could offer. He was a good massage therapist, Aroma was his best talent. He could console and charm.... but really it was down to sweet smells, careful words, and a soft touch. There was no way he could repay the owner of this gem the cost it would have been... Even with a lifetime of slavery. 

• 3 weeks later...

It didn't take long for the Equestrians to catch up with the voluminous and wonderful heraldry that had spread throughout the island like a wonderful cancer. Indeed, they all meant something. On an island where relationship status was almost everything, those symbols helped the proper authorities- like the family in charge- know who needed what and when. In theory. In practice, they were mostly used to allow ponies to know just how loyally they were sticking to the family's plans. If they desired you divorce your wife so she could be married off to somepony more worthy, you would do so and would proudly paint the heraldry of the divorced and heartbroken- literally- on your door. Sure it may suck for you at the moment, but the family would make you whole eventually. Maybe. If you were loyal enough.

Not that they needed to know that.
“Those are all variations of the Heart family crest. They tell us what sort of relationship they are in and what they need. This allows us to most accurately see to the emotional needs of our subjects. One day all the hearts will be whole and everypony will be happy- well, even if that won't happen it seems like such a good dream to dream, doesn't it?” She asked, giving an exaggerated sigh as they hit a rough patch of townhouses that had a series of heartbroken images splashed around. “Such a wonderful dream. If we can solve the tumult at the top and calm the other families down and get us off of this more...terrible path, shall we say, maybe it can be made a reality. Somehow. Someway,” she shook her head and gave a weak smile, practiced expertly. “But that is for later. Now that we're in private Feather Touch, what brings you here- in full, if you would?”

Ever-alert for an interesting fact, Earth Writer's notebook darted out of his pocket like a carnivorous fish at a tasty morsel, snapping it up in jaws of paper.  "A heraldry of love!  I can see it catching on; there's certainly something to be said for wearing one's Heart on one's sleeve.  Or doorframe, as it were."  He chuckled.  "It would certainly get past that awkward first conversation when you're trying to find out somepony's status in whom you're interested.  Unproductive bar mingling could be made a thing of the past!  Simply walk down the street, and knock at a promising door.  Brilliant idea, I have to compliment you and your family."  There was one thing, however, that puzzled him.  "You'd think, though, with all this wealth of information, the island would have sorted itself out rather quickly.  Why should politics delay it?"

Oh, the poor, idealistic Equestrian, straddling so closely the line of disillusionment.  Heart Stopper only need give him the gentlelest nudge... but perhaps she would be more interested in Feather Touch for now.  The journalist settled back in a posture of moral support, waiting for his companion.

The pegasus looked out the window, speaking softly. "I am currently the owner of  gemstone. Its worthless as a gem really. Its glitters and shines brightly, but little more than that. It oft catches the eyes of my patrons and keeps them calm while I tend their emotional and stress needs. A good massage and some soft scent can wash years off a pony. Decades in some cases. But that gem... it brings them back. They love to see it, as if it held some power. I already had it examined, but its not enchanted. And its little more than polished quarts. Cheap, and honestly as easy to duplicate as taking a crystal to a jeweler and asking for a copy to be made. But.... That gem, was stolen from A ruling unicorn Family here in your country. I would at least like to see it returned to it's owner."

He looked at her at least. His face was like a brick wall suddenly. No hint of any emotion at all. Not even the guilt his voice dripped heavily. "I know it is much to ask, but I would like your help in finding out whom is the proper owner and getting this gem back to them. Even if they dont care. It would ease my mind, and settle the restlessness of my soul. That, and that reason alone is why I have come. A debt to be paid. Even if I have to pay it in blood." 

That was serious. The thought usually turned Feather Touch's stomach. But here he was, willing to die for this. And he was still holding that blank face as he looked at her. His eyes locked onto hers. He was good at reading things that were never spoken. That was one way to know how and where a pony was stressed. Their tone, not the words but the tone of voice. The posture and look in their eyes. And he looked at Heart Stopper like a manticore would look at a prey animal. studying here in depth without blinking. 

• 4 weeks later...

OOC- Sorry for delay. Was waiting on all changes!

Equestrians were pleasant conversationalists, especially if you could hook them with positive emotions and sink them with the ironic deployment of their own desires. Take Feather for example. Here was a pony so caught up in what he had done wrong with his bloodline- and yes, no matter what it was likely he'd pay for it in a way other than kind acts the longer he stayed here- that he spoke with great verbage and determination. He sure did fit the profile of that flying rat breed bred from the histories of Acroneighos, no doubt. But for all of that talk of making it right, he didn't play the part. No, he had the look of a griffon, cold and emotionless like all of those flying kitty cats. It would have been unnerving if she wasn't used to the investigative elements from other families always sniffing around her dealings, trying to verify the stories they had heard. 

The stories were true, but she had never allowed any of them a sniff of anything other than what she had used to eventually turn them to work for her. So she nodded and looked stoic, then smiled. “Well, it is good that I know of all the families that matter. When we get to my place, tell me more of the history of the gem, and I'll see what I ca do. No promises, and I'll expect something in return for my time and effort,” she replied bluntly, but warmly. She was already sizing him up for certain outfits, since Pegasi did appeal to some audiences amongst the nobility. Surely some of them would like a pet, though the wings would need to be sized down. There were chemicals for that. Not only could she use him to make some friends somewhere, but surely recovering that gem would shore up alliances with whoever should own it. Yes, Feather was a pleasant conversationalist, even when he wasn't trying.

But her guest was more pleasant due to how much he saw, and how little he knew. From an Equestrian point of view all of these hearts must look absolutely divine. And true, they were good indicators of intent and declarations of love, though here that could mean something very different than what it would mean in Equestria. But for all of that he did ask a pertinent question that allowed her to refocus back on the subject at hoof. “Yes, why politics indeed. You'd be shocked at how little the other families can care about the well being of their subjects, or more acutely, how much like tools they can be, wielded to hurt us. Their thoughts and feelings? Merely tools for manipulation and oppression in their hooves,” she spat venomously, which would have made her chuckle otherwise. After all, that was just as she saw the world- indeed, most here did. How fun was this?

“We're almost there, my guests. Tell me, what do you miss most about Equestria?”

"In Blood?"  Seriously?  The unicorn's eyes grew wide in amazement mixed with horror at his companion.  Earth Writer could understand and admire an old-fashioned sense of honor, of course, but given that they were traveling in a place that did, in all likelihood, take such debts to their literal limit... well!  It beyond prudent.  Feather Touch was in no position to get a good deal by going native...

It was too late for the reporter to stop the Pegasus, though.  He could only observe as Heart Stopper considered his words.  Her tone was... hm, hard to judge.  Judicious, perhaps.  Certainly non-committal, though Earth wouldn't have been willing to bet on any potential leniency.  But... at the end of the day, it wasn't his business.  He could hardly be said to have a right to interfere in any way, aside from making these dealings public in the copy he sent back home.

Out came the notebook again, just in time for the Kastrotian hostess to reply to his own line of inquiry.  "So... am I given to understand that agents of other nobility use and abuse this open information to leverage unrest in your own island?"  The unscrupulousness of it all shocked the Equestrian innocence buried beneath his Bohemian veneer.  It made the petty quarrels of Canterlot seem almost charming by comparison.  "So... these signs may be open... but may have been manipulated behind the scenes..."  He scratched out in shorthoof, looking back out the window at the crowds in the street.  It was beginning to hit home to the unicorn just how foreign his new surroundings really were.

"What do I miss?"  He mused, still staring out.  "I guess... a sense of social ease?  From one side of my country to another, I could walk up to any other pony and start talking, as an equal.  Not always with a polite reply, true, but there was something comrade-like even in animosity.  I feel considerably less comfortable with approaching strangers here."  Earth Writer looked back over to Heart Stopper, smiling.  One look at her could send his mood bouncing back in an instant.  "It's a good thing we were prior acquaintances, then!  I'd be lost here without a local guide, frankly.  No telling what sort of foreigner faux pas I would have committed!"

Feather Touch paid little attention to the outside around them. His eyes were now fixed on heart stopper. And that look was unmistakable. He was reading her. And reading her deeper than most ponies dared. He could sense she was hiding something. but not what she was hiding. And if she looked deep enough into him, she would see a two sided coin. the fragility of his wings labeled him as how weak he was as a pegasus. He lived on the ground like an earth pony. But he lacked the physical strength. However.....

There was the other side of the coin......

There was a fire there. A fire that raged, barely held in check. A fire that threatened to consume any that broke its chains. And If she looked deep enough, she would see how willing he was to unleash that fire. He knew that the gem had no magical power itself other than being absolutely mesmerizing to look at. He was willing to destroy it. And every thing it represented. Obliterating it. It was just as fragile as glass. And he knew it. One good stomp would shatter it. And to keep it out of the wrong hooves, he would shatter it. But beyond that he had fight in him. With no training and no strength to back up his passion, he could still pick the weak points in a pony's armor. Not their physical self, But there mental self. it was part and parcel for his talent. he found what stressed them and helped them relax. But also... He cold find the point that would shatter their egos and leave them a mess and exploit it. He was sizing her up. And one could see it in his eyes. He would  not hesitate if he thought she might hinder him. He even thought it, he would do it. He had seen enough of her now to know she was proud. Of herself and her family line. Of her prowess. But pride itself was a weakness. And Feather Touch was just looking for the small chip in the armor of that pride to tear it clean off her if she tried to get in his way. 

After a moment he relaxed some looked back out the window. Silence was his mask now. Thought. After a few minutes he spoke. "The gem is hidden. its here. but its hidden. I can give you a drawing of it. But I will not bring it forth until I can pass it to the true owner's hooves. As for you time and effort I have something you may crave dearly." The tone was monotone. He was masking his voice and thoughts well at this point. If nothing else, the pegasus had one of the best poker faces in his block back home. "as for its history. you already know everything we know about it. It was stolen from a noble here in your lands. And that my family hid out in Equestria with it. My parents never spoke of it. And none of the information in the family book says who it came from. Just never to return to this land ever...." His eyes looked back at there. A glint there. Like he found something.  

• 2 weeks later...

She nodded allong with his conclusions regarding the other families. Oh, it was just so rude and uncouth of them, was it not? And indeed, as an Equestria he would miss all that friendship nonsense. No matter. In her experience, once a pony started to drown in a sea of passion, quaint notions of friendship vanished quickly. What didn't vanish quickly was the intensity steaming off of their pegasus. He'd be a special case. Not a unique one- but special nonetheless. She listened intently to both as the carriage made its way home- her home.

It was a castle, though smaller than many others in the world. Indeed, it was surrounded by more castles, and together they took up a full district of walking path only gardens and trotting paths from one to the other, with each one having one public entrance to the outside. The exception was the extremely large castle in the middle which had a moat, high walls, and a single entrane, guarded with a gate. As they entered the district the amount of guard Skyrocketed as did the quality of their equipment. Business took place still with authorized, high quality shopping areas in between the castles offering unique services.

Lines, generally small, extended out of the castles' public entrances. The carriage took them through a smaller, more well-guarded, and decidedly not public entrance. Two attendants approached and placed small steps on either side of the carriage. Doors were opened. Heart Stopper walked down the steps elegantly and started trotting with her guards and attendants to one of the castles.

"This is my home and place of work, dears. Here I go to my business- and pleasure- and hopefully the two are one and the same. My attendants will take you two to your study rooms for your stay here. You still have your rooms if you choose to use them back at the Estate, of course. The library and study here however is a bit more extensive, of course. If you would, however, I do have some business to attend to. If you'd like to see how we operate here, I welcome you to sit in during my session today," she offered pleasantly as they trotted into her warm and inviting castle.

There Feather touch went again, maintaining as best he could a countenance of stone.  It was honestly beginning to get on Earth Writer's nerves.  The reporter pony had his virtues, but they were the virtues of sociability rather than heroism.  A stallion would need a kind of heroic virtue to retain a stoic self-control around so alluring a mare, and it was clear that the pegasus possessed more of it than the unicorn, which sense of inferiority tended to needle the latter.  He tried to bury it with a glib comment, "Not exactly a glowing travel recommendation from your ancestors, but this place has doubtless changed since those times."  Surely nothing too terrible was going to happen... right?

He smiled at Heart Stopper, though his eyes were torn between the view inside and the view outside.  It seemed that the carriage was entering what could only be described as a neighborhood of castles, which piqued the reporter's interest.  "I'm assuming that these all are lent to those favored by your family's court?  It's honestly impressive; I don't know if I've seen that many castles in all of Equestria!  At least the parts I've been to, anyhow."

Soon, they arrived at the largest one of the bunch, disembarking.  It seemed that Heart Stopper now had some actual work to do, though Earth was eager to accept her invitation to tag along.  "I'd love to see how court is held here, actually.  I don't know if the readers at home would find it as interesting as I would, though.  After all, they can't actually see you, or anypony here, in the flesh, and that makes up half the color and substance of this place."  That might be taken as flattery, but to him, it was a statement of fact, tantamount to saying that he wasn't sure if his pen could do her justice.  Though he would certainly give it his best shot!

Feather shook his head. "No thanks. I will let Earth tag along. I'm going to go out and walk the vendor stalls. Get a feel for the city and see how things are." he said quietly. The pegasus shifted his wings, the long feathers softly brushing the seat with a gentle rustle. He was quite calm now. He looked at the various stalls as they had passed. Now he wished to try them out himself. He had brought some things to barter with. Hopefully they would be useful. If not at least he would stretch his legs. He wasnt used  to riding in a carriage. 

As he watched them enter the castle he turned and walked slowly back. Heading for the stalls he had seen. He kept quiet, even when he got a few stares. Though he assumed it was because he had gotten out of the same carriage as Heart Stopper. Perhaps they were jealous? He could only guess until he spoke to them. He made note of the alleys and streets. making sure to place each in his mental map so he could make his way back later. 

This was fun. Nice to see that the reporter was interested in seeing her work. Ponies could sometimes see the trees for the forest and not the forest for the
trees, pieces instead of parcels and parcels instead of orders. He woould need a Kastroti education in the ways of the law and more importanty an acute
sensaton and udnerstanding of her position. Then, and only then, could he fully grasp what it was to be Heart Stopper, and from there she could more easily
show him the proper way to illustrate the glorious nature of Kastrot and, by association, Heart Stopper. "Most of these castles are owned by the family, given
out to those who are of age and have certain places in government. We are a hard working family after all, and we need our places of work," she replied quickly,
and she would believe that easily.

The honest reality was that facts did not exist, only interpretations. "I am very pleased to hear that you would like to attend court. Be a dear and follow my
aides- they'll get you properly dressed for court,"
she said, motioning two two servants who came out and bowed. They both turned to the reporter and in sync
bowed and beckoned him into a smaller doorway. Once there, he would be led down a few flights of stairs and into a large dressing room. He would be given a
baby blue outfit, one that may have felt a bit feminine but matched with neoclassical stallion high society garb. Once finished, he would be escorted to a nice
ramp that terminates in the throne room, in a low hallway that leads to her opposite of the public entrance.

Feather would not see that, however. he was going out and visiting stalls- not a bad idea, though bits were notorious for being worth little to the Kastroti in the
royal quarter. Unless they came from the royals of course, magic be with them. As he wandered about a pair of guards would follow at a polite distance. Most
had seen him exit her carriage without problems, so nopony approached him, but it was clear he was under watch. Those who ran the stalls were willing to
barter, but many could barely hide their discontent regarding being forced to deal with such a barbaric creature. A pegasus? Uggh! Pollution in the sky was one
thing, but on teh streets? How sad.

If he could get past that he would find the services excellent, perhaps even worth the trouble. The best food outside the courts, finest clothes most amazing
massages that one could buy- just a few, and all for him.

Earth Writer was as eager to receive his education as any schoolcolt with a crush on his teacher.  To be fair to the stallion, though, this was hardly his only motivation.  The frequent traveler's interest in new places, the curious unicorn's love of novelty, and the reporter's professional desire for good copy all formed a phalanx which together would have been sufficient to drive him to enter Heart Stopper's court, regardless of her attractiveness.

Nevertheless, it did have to be said that by this point, the attractiveness of his hostess had not and never would leave Earth's mind.  She would have known by now that the Equestrian was well and truly hooked.  If this had been a work of fiction, the author would have used his donning of the Kastrotian toga as a symbol of the pony's own internal surrender to the process of adaptation, perhaps the first step of a unicorn going native in the city where his kind had dominance.

But oh, didn't it feel nice to sink into atmosphere of luxury?  Servants waiting upon one, with cloth of silk to drape oneself in?  Putting on the baby blue toga felt like slipping into a warm sea for a good swim.  "Arma togae cedant."  An old classical quote, with its origin half-forgotten, slipped from Earth Writer's lips as he looked at himself in the mirror.  Hm, yes, it might raise a bit of a laugh if he were to parade the garb through the streets of Canterlot, but here?  Here it was only right to wear such things.  When in Kastrot...

And so, with the best possible frame of mind, he was lead back into the court of Heart Stopper, ready to hear her word and judgment.

Feather Touch walked. He could read their faces easily. And what he read was not exactly expected. He would stop at a stall, give a nod to the owner. Feather kept his hooves to himself and looked over the wares. His silence was not rudeness so much his defense against what he sensed as hostility. He knew the guards were there. After a bit he turned and gave them a soft smile. Must be hot in that armor, he thought. As he wandered, he finally found something worth bartering for. Flowers. A stall full of them. taking his time he spoke very softly ad asked a question or two.

He could fell the agitation in the vendor's voice as they spoke. But when he laid a few gems on the counter of the stall, he found her reaction quite satisfying. She stammered a moment, looking at the sparkling stones before just asking what he would like. One he had his purchase in hoof he turned and walked right to the guards. "Please escort me back. I really have no idea where I have walked too." That... was a blatant lie. Feather knew every street he had walked down. 

But he was good with the poker face and got his escort back. Though in truth, he was preparing something in his mind. He needed them to guide him while he arranged the flowers. He was making a bouquet. The smells alone were pleasant, but he was also arranging them so that they would be visually pleasing as well. As he moved, he would glance up just to keep the guards within line of his walking. His eyes then spotted someone he knew. A pony he knew very well in fact. Pausing he called out, "Stormstride?" The pony stopped and turned. This mare wore a large flower in her mane. her eyes glittered with a renewed light Feather had not seen in them before. "Feather? Is that you?" She came close. He could see the metal horse shoes. Her dress was rather elegant. Feather knew this about Storm. But it was still a shock to see it. 

"Stromstride, goodness its been over a year. You look wonderful dear." he said cheerfully. She blushed. "Thank you. I was hoping this dress wasn't too much." "No, it looks wonderful on you dear." He walked around her, admiring her beauty. "You look ravishing darling. And you got a pedi too? I never thought you would." She nodded, "yes. Captain Star said I needed to chill out some. She suggested a spa day and some vacation time. I came here looking for answers and some nice things." Feather nodded as he smiled at her. Reaching out, he brushed a bit of her mane from her face. "You look lovely dear. This is a perfect look for you. I bet you turn a lot of heads back home." She blushed deeper. "Well, not that many. The armor isn't exactly flattering on the flank in the cold air of Fet Loch."

Feather laughed softly and nodded, "I bet." He leaned up and kissed her cheek softly. She gasped a little. "There. For the pretty mare." He said. she smiled and kissed his in return. "for the handsome stallion." she whispered back. But she stayed leaned in. "If you get in trouble, whistle. I will be close by. There is a pendant in your mane. Just touch it and I will be there to keep you safe." Feather knew what she meant. He could see it in the faces of the ponies here. smiling they hugged and parted ways as she went back to her shopping and he began walking with the guards again. 

• 1 month later...

Heart Stopper had chosen today's cases well. Her job was in the realm of love, but it was focused on passion. It seemed a narrow aspect but if one opened their mind, they'd find passion at play in almost everything and that her job entailed not only love, but the acts that spoke to a pony's very soul. Passion stripped way everything but what a pony was deep inside. No social mores, no false pretenses, the falsity of reasoned beliefs and dialogues blown away by the hammering of the heart deep and heavy in the chest. It was wonderful, and she wished more than anything that each and every day for her newest playthings to be as good as the previous ones. On cue, Earth writer came in, dressed in the way she enjoyed. Good! "Come, Earth. You may stand next to me while I work," she said, patting the space next to her as she motioned to her guards. "Let's begin."

Over the next few hours, dozens of ponies came in. Same came in the throes of love, tails curled around one another, their eyes rarely leaving one another. She allowed the ugly ones to have their relationship and bid them farewell, mostly so they could have their correspondingly ugly children in whatever dark corner of the city they lived in. The more beautiful of these she made a mental note of- where they lived, the nature of their relationship, and would check their medical records. If everything was great, they'd make visits to her, permanently even. There were other matters to attend to. Affairs in marriage could end in duels, divorces, or worse, while crimes of passion had so many punishments as to be bewildering. Each one carried a certain karma and the punishments were individualized. For crimes of a lower nature, recoverable, but those who had committed the worst crimes carried punishments personal, long-lasting, and sometimes cruel streaks to them. Not sometimes- every time.

After one stallion was sentenced to a childless, passionless life after touching a young filly, she turned to her charge. "Such excitement so far! Would you like to take part in the next guest's discussion?"

-----------------

(OOC: Thunderbuck, please feel free to have Feather get back into the castle at any time.:))

The craft of journalism may be called a hasty and half-baked mixture of analysis and impressions.  The rushed nature of its production often meant that the impressions were often more valuable than the analysis, for perception is always swifter than thought.  

This was fortunate, because as Earth Writer took his place beside Heart Stopper, his mind was in a state where any thought came slowly.  Even over so short a time, the air of luxury had gotten into his head, fogging up the analysis machine, turning it to a slow, obsolete hulk of brain matter.  But the Bohemian and artist within the stallion could still see, and dutifully note, the space of the room; the views of the petitioners, two by two; and the judgments upon passion.  What struck him was how the law seemed to be written so as to follow the reactions of the emotions to a crime, rather than a consultation of legal definition.  More than once, he could remember thinking that the punishment doled out to the stallion here was much more right than the mere time in prison such a crime would mean in Equestria.

Earth blinked.  The vision of loveliness was speaking to him again.  "Oh, yes!  I mean, if you think what I have to say relevant."  He laughed.  "It isn't exactly common practice in my country for a tourist to be called in to assist legal judgments.  Even juries are only composed of native citizens.  But I have to say, Heart Stopper, that I've been very much impressed with what I've seen so far.  It's... probably one of the best examples I've seen of truly personal government, where the insight and judgment of the individual is not clouded and confined by a strict legal code.  It allows, I think, for a greater deal of discretion, and can deftly avoid situations where the law as written is irrelevant or asinine.  I've covered more than one sad story where a judge in Equestria was not allowed such freedom of movement."

Arriving back in time to see that Heart Stopper was holding court, Feather Touch moved to stand quietly in the corner and just view. The two guards stood beside him. The pegasus kept himself silent in respect for the function of the court. He did not fully understand what was happening, though he assumed it was something similar to the court of Equestria back home. He kept this neatly arranged bouquet hidden safely under his wing. The flowers would not be crushed, merely hidden from view under the large feathers. 

He could see in his friend's face just how enamored he was with Heart Stopper. She was beautiful, Feather Touch gave her that. But he knew that the face and soul rarely matched up. He brushed his mane softly and felt the click of his hoof against the gemstone pendant. Bringing it down and to his neck, he put it on and signed softly. Feather Touch was beginning to understand. This was court for crimes of certain nature. He still did not fully understand it, but that was a start. 

Though he could tell by the look on some of those found guilty, the punishment must me straining on their minds. It was going to be a very bad day for some ponies in here. The Pegasus went over his situation. The gemstone he had in his possession was not so much rare in type, but in quality. The stone was large, prismatic enough that any light hitting it scattered rainbow patterns everywhere. Feather had kept it perfectly clean and polished. The surface clear and gentle enough to see one's own reflection in. He knew that wa his only bargaining chip. His original intent was to clear his conscience. However now he was worried about just getting home if he could. Though.... This place.. it residents seemed to need his talent far more than any Equestrian he had seen before. 

• 3 weeks later...

Heart Stopper smiled. She was pleased that he was enamored with her court. It was true what he said- this was superior to Equestrian governance in amost every way. Soon he could think to himself just how much such decisions could weigh upon the mind.

"Guards, allow the next case to be heard."

The first thing that could be seen were a pair of younger ponies, just adults really, who walked close by one another with their tails entwined. The stallion was broad shouldered with a flowing golden mane. big, blue eyes one could get lost in. The mare was shy, with hazel eyes and a face looking to the floor, with the reassuring brush of the stallion bringing to bear her soft, feminine face. They entered and bowed. A few moments later a larger, older stallion with a thick neck and the eyes of an eagle. He was followed by a standard bearer, a small colt who held up his family's banner.

"Welcome to my court, Baron Cut Gem. State your case," she said, trying to hide her glee. That young stallion would make a fine member of her harem, and the Gems were traditionally frosty with the Hearts. Two birds with one stone.

"Most certainly, Mistress Heart. As you know, I was lawfully wed to that mare-" he pointed accusatorially at the shy mare, who turned to the ground, "-by the Lord of Gems. As she was in the process of finding her proper place in my household, she was brainwashed and removed from her proper place by my side. She ran off with that ruffian and she was found here on Heart Island. By right of marriage, she is mine. I demand she is returned to me and that stallion punished appropriately," he said, his voice even until the end- where it grew a bit of bite.

"Thank you, Baron. Your turn, accused."

"...I don't love the Baron. I l-love him," she said, rubbing herself against the handsome stallion. He then spoke in a silky smooth voice. "I cannot bear the thought of being away from her, milady. I will take whatever punishment you so desire and I will bear it well as long as I can be with her."

How touching. Heart looked at the Equestrian.

"The marriage was legal and without loopholes. The proper and legal thing would be to return her to her husband and punish the stallion in such a way as to ensure he could never do this again. Then again, this is my island, and my laws, and I may bend them to my will to serve whatever greater good I see. What would you have me do? Feather darling, please make yourself known here as well."

The arrival of his companion was barely noted by Earth Writer.  His attention was fully drawn in by the drama Heart Stopper spread out before him.  The unicorn would consider himself a conscientious pony, as far as civic duties were concerned.  Thus, he had a true desire to render a just judgment after due considerations... but other factors were also weighing upon his scales.

For one thing, he could hardly say that they were held even.  Equestrians were nothing if not sentimental creatures, whose popular fictions were full of such tales of true love pitted against strict legal or social propriety.  Whether such tales ended happily or tragically, the underlying assumption was that love ought to triumph, whether or not it did.  There was also the superficial bias of the Bohemian in the stallion, which instinctively preferred the beautiful to the ugly.  So, two strikes against old Gem there.

Finally, seeping in and infiltrating all of Earth's thoughts was Heart Stopper.  Her beauty had by now in a quite literal sense intoxicated him.  He was filled with a desire to impress his hostess, which overwhelmed and surpassed all the instincts and reasoning that normally kept him from making an absolute fool of himself.  Thus, instead of feeling the atmosphere as one of a solemn court, the stallion seemed to think, for all intents and purposes, that he was having a convivial evening at the Veiled Garden.

Keeping in the grand old tradition of Fleet Street frivolity, therefore, he began his answer with an anecdote.  "I have seen coming through this court several cases of rivals for the hoof of a married pony, several of which were resolved through the custom of dueling.  A very old and universal custom, known in Equestria as well, though it has changed over the years to adapt to our own laws.  For example, one case which I personally was a witness to had the two rivals in affection agree to resolve matter through liquor rather than blades, testing their livers rather than their mettle.  Upon finding out about this, the beloved rejected them both in disgust, leaving them to drink in a more convivial atmosphere."  Earth paused for a moment in reminisce, before concluding.  "We still honored the bets on who could down the most without falling over.  I won sixty bits that night."

The Baron, meanwhile, was staring with just that expression a plaintiff has when a judge gets off a bench to let the court jester sit on a case.  His voice, however, he kept even, only letting a hit of steel part through his lips as he asked, "Did you have a point to all that prattling?"

"As a matter of fact, I did!"  The unicorn grinned, head buzzing like he'd downed half a bottle of red.  "The point is, solutions to such entangled matters are often dependent upon the inherent personal qualities of the ponies involved.  Therefore, to render a suitable judgment, I have a few more questions that I should like answered..."  And, with practiced gesture, he drew out a hidden notebook and pencil with the air of a reporter whose 'few questions' would be nothing of the sort.

Perhaps detecting that he was dealing with a stacked deck, and deciding that he would have none of it, the Baron interrupted again.  "I have given you the full legal situation that is presented before you hear.  The only action of a just and wise ruler is to render each his due," Again another glare was directed at the young couple, "And not waste time in frivolous chattering!"

"My dear fellow!  If you're not willing to go through a bare afternoon's civil conversation for the sake of your wife, the rest of your lawfully married life is going to be hell!"  Earth Writer delivered the retort with the triumphant flourish of a stallion expecting applause.  And so he was, from a particular mare.  Whether or not he'd just earned it was for her to decide.

When called Feather began walking forward, He made for the center aisle. As he passed the light filtering in through a window, the sun hit the gem dangling from his neck and scattered the light in a dazzling array of colors for a moment. As it passed he came to stand beside Heart Stopper quietly. Merely observing the scene. Of all the words that had come between his friend and the stallion pleading his case, the pegasus made it a point to think about both the Equestrian point of view, and the legal point of view of this land. If the marriage was legal, and she had broken it to be with this other stallion...

Feather dared a moment to interject very softly. "Lady Heart Stopper, if I may?" Feather knew he was a pegasus, and thus he could feel the eyes on him. But he felt that at least he could try to sound like he knew something of Civic duty. Even if he had never been inside Canterlot Palace for more than just a moment. While he had her attention, Feather presented Heart with the rather fragrant and specifically picked set of flowers. He had selected this batch for the exact purpose of their scent mix. He knew that on the basic level, it was a lovely scent. But on a deeper often unknown level, he had found that this mix of flowers often induced a very relaxed state. Enabling the pony receiving them to drink in the scent, and become much more relaxed. Though that was the extent of their aroma therapy purpose. 

"Perhaps the Stallion has a point. Laws are in place for a reason. Though, I am curious if she left his side first, or if she was wooed? If the first is the case, I see fit to punish her according to the law, and lessen the charge against the second stallion as he was likely wooed into this. However, If he wooed her, then again, She should be receiving a lesser punishment, but still punished for her crime as well." Turning to look at them, he could see what his companion saw. Though Feather had always had an inner light that aligned with the laws of the land. "In Equestria, our laws are in place for a purpose. They Provide clear rules, and punishments for breaking them. I see that these two have broken the laws of the land. And This is your Island, my lady. I merely see that it seems they do not have proper respect for your authority."

Again with the poker face. He was staring right at the pair of lovers. Not showing emotion. Just speaking plainly. In Equestria, he had no idea how this would be handled. But here it seemed that there were punishments that fit crimes such as this. "perhaps, The Nobel gentlecolt deserves better than a mare that turns away from his side."

Archived