A Royal Scandal (ATTN: PrinceoftheNight, all Others PM for Invite)

Lux

small.5888f4e1d46c2_LunarObservations.pn

Princess Luna wasn't one to read the tabloids. To her it was some nosy ponies barging into the lives of celebrity ponies while trying to dig up any fascinating tidbits of these ponies. Most of them were articles about who a pony was seen going out on a date with or wedding details. True there were some cases that the paper wanted to did up some scandal on the royalty, but these were largely relegated to her sister, Princess Celestia. These were silly theories like Celestia gaining weight from eating cake or was with foal. These were usually for a good laugh and a barb from Luna. One evening, however, this changed. 

Luna's night shift was already underway but largely uneventful. She was about to attend to the dream realm when she saw the latest tabloid sitting on the table. There on the front cover was the title, "Princess Luna and Darkness: Secret Special Someponies? Is the Lunar Guard doing more than protecting the Princess?"

"What is this?" the Princess said noting the two photos of her and Darkness with a heart behind it. She then remembered the time when the recruit confessed his love for her. While there were other ponies who have had a fleeting attraction towards her, Darkness's feelings seemed to be genuine. Time and royal duties, however, prevented her from getting to know the guard. but now somehow this fact was out there. 

"I must find this Darkness and see where this tabloid got this news from," she said and set forth to find the Lunar Guard. 

Darkness' Guard shift was about to start that night. He oftenly started patroling the hallways of the lower floor a bit later than the rest of the other night guards. Why was that? Because he was a pegasus. He had to take more hours of sleep that the bat ponies to ensure that he could work at his full potential during the night and be able to attend a few meetings and friends after the guard was over, during the morning of the next day. The last few days had been... relaxing. He had finally telled the princess how he felt for her. It had been a while and took a lot of time to prepare for this. It was not easy at all. Many stallions prepared something for their special somepony, but they were normal ponies like himself and his co-guards. His was different. He confesed to non other than the princess of the night herself! Although he made sure he had done it with enough privicy so no pony could had heard him, although it was common that other ponies also loved the princess like him or had tried to, he didn't wanted to make a scandal about it. Although perhaps it was a bit too late. 

Darkness had just exited the night guard's barracks to start his shift. He was wearing his usual heavy plate night guard armor, as well as his usualy equipment, and left to patrol the lower floor. The sound that his hooves made everytime he stepped echoed trough the hallways. A rather notorious sound that most ponies would know he was the one walking around, at least if you spent a lot of time in the castle like the guards and princesses, as well as the staff. 

"What a lovely night it is..." He said as he stopped near a window, looking outside. It seemed rather peacefull, like if nothing wrong could happen that night. He felt that perhaps things would go well. Well, nopony knows for sure. He always hoped for the best. 

Like a blue tornado, Luna flew down the halls of the castle, checking every room for one pony. She never realized how big the castle was, having been accustomed to it over the years, until she had to actually look for somepony! It was like finding a needle in a haystack, something she remembered Applejack saying although finding it somehow funny. The princess even almost bowled a few guards over in the process trying to find Darkness. 

She was about to give up hope then the Princess of Night saw a pony clad in armor staring out a window at the night sky. Not wanting to disturb the guard if he was somepony else, Luna approached to make sure if it was indeed Darkness. With her suspicions confirmed, the Princess decided to make her introduction. 

"Darkness Night," she said sort of out of breath, "We need to talk." 

(Is Knight but whatever :p)

"Hmmm...?" Darkness could her some sort of noise commong from upstairs. Aparently, somepony might be looking for someone. Wonder who that was and was looking for. The castle was big, so finding something would take time. He knew that rather well. Specially when he had to find something somepomy else had lost. He chuckled a bit at the thought and started to walk again. 

That was until...

"Princess...?" Darkness asked a bit confused and surprised when the Night princess had arrived. It was rather odd seeing her at this hour. Usually, she was checking the dreams of ponies, but why was she out here now?

"We need to talk...?" he asked a bit more surprised. Was he in trouble? He doubted it. He had worked properly lately. No. What was it. "O-of course Princess!" he soon replied hastly, since was his job to obay her, although his love for her also made him stay. "What do you need?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Yes, we need to..." Luna began but soon realized that something was amiss of the night guard: he didn't know why she was there. It was true that the Princess was more often delving into the dreams of ponies at this time, so for a guard anything that deviated from the norm was see as questioning or worse, disturbing. Maybe he didn't have a part in the scandalous report. She needed to casual about this, especially given the fact of what she surmised about his feelings during night court.

"This...might be a strange question, but trust me this does have some importance. Have you read the latest issue of  Popular Ponies?"

Spoiler

For Popular Ponies, think celebrity magazines like People, Us, etc.

Darkness blinked softly as the Princess spoke again. It seemed that she had just realised something important. Maybe regardong what she wanted to speak with him. He was looking up to her, for a moment getting lost in her eyes...

No! Snap out of it! You have to focus! He blinked again and regained his focus on the princess just in time as she started to speak again. 

"Uhm, alright Princess... I had never read that magazine before, and neither the lates issue. I am not interested in thay kind of things, honestly. Why do you ask?" he replied with a shake of his head as well at her question. Wait. "Does it has something to do with what you wanted to ask me?"

• 4 weeks later...

Darkness Knight clearly seemed baffled at Luna's strange question. For a moment though he seemed to be lost looking at her before finally snapping out of it.

"Um, alright Princess... I had never read that magazine before, and neither the lates issue. I am not interested in thay kind of things, honestly. Why do you ask?" Does it has something to do with what you wanted to ask me?"

Luna was partly happy that the guard didn't see the newspaper, but now came the hard part. There was no use waving off the issue or making light of it as he was bound to know soon after. With a sigh and a flicker of her horn, the Alicorn produced the newspaper from thin air and levitated it in front off the guard. 

"I thought you should see this first before you see it tomorrors or worse your fellow guards let you know. Read if you wish, but I think the cover says it all." 

Darkness blinked again as she spoke again. Luna seemed a bit... happy that he hadn't seen the artice in the news paper, but at the same time that he needed to know what was it. He was about to ask if he could see it himself before Luna's horn glowed and the newspaper appeared from thin air. He was still not used to that but he was not surprised either. He gave a step forward and started reading the article in question. Well, whatever it was, it seemed big as it took a good part of th-  ... ... ... w-what...

"W-what?!" he exclamated, his face going from his usual grey to completly red. He almost looked like a tomato. Yet, it ws understandable. Anypony could understand why in his situation. How... how could this be! He was not sure if he had to be happy that aparently someone made them a couple or not! This was ... this was... he didn't even had words for this.
"How... how did this happened?" he asked both shily as he looked up to the Princess, his face still all red, though his eyes seemed to show that he was not against it that much. 

And now the truth had been revealed to Darkness as his eyes went wide with horror as he saw the cover. Then his face turned from grey to red. Interestingly, though, it was his eyes that seemed somehow accepting of this truth, like he wanted what was on the front cover of the tabloid to happen. 

"How... how did this happened?" 

"That is why I came to meet you, yet you seem to be just as in the dark as I am. What matters is that somepony either concocted this allegation from their mind or you made an off hoof comment that somepony took and ran with it all the way to the paper. So tell me first, how long have you had these feelings towards me, and was you goal to becoming a Lunar Guard to bring yourself closer to me?" 

Darkness looke over to the princess as she started to speak, his face still blushing. Well, it was good that she didn't even knew what was going on. Aparently, someone had decided to make them a couple even though the two didn't knew. In the hooves of somepony else this would be funny, as it seemed a prank. But no. It was him and Luna, and didn't seemed a prank at all! 

Her questions made him blush more, if that was even posible. She wanted more details of how and why he fall in love with her. Well, at least for how long... and if he became a guard just for her. 
"F-for quite a while... pretty much when I first saw you. I was not born from nearby, so I never saw you before until I came to Canterlot." He started saying, barely able to talk thanks to the sudden questions that were really personal. Still, it was Luna. It was not only his job to tell her the thruth, he loved her, and would never refuse what she ask him to do. Yet it seemed that he didn't wanted to say more for now about that.  "I.... uhm... A-and about the second part... Kinda...? I did wanted to become a guard, b-but being a Lunar guard one meant having a chance to be with you so..." He finally confessed, shrugging shyly. "A-and as far as I remember, the only ones that know my feelings towards you are both of us... I never talked to another guard about this..." 

• 2 weeks later...

It didn't take a genius to see that Darkness had feelings for Princess Luna. The Princess during her lifetime did have many a pony who doted on her, some of which who were enthralled with her beauty, some who desired power by being with her, and a few ponies who were truly in love with her. Looking at the Lunar Guard and listening to what he had to say, she could tell that he truly cared for her enough to become a guard. 

"A-and as far as I remember, the only ones that know my feelings towards you are both of us... I never talked to another guard about this..." 

She paused for a moment after taking all in that she said. Finally she breathed in and said, "I see. You must understand that I have had many who have claimed to love me in my lifetime. Some were genuine, others were not. I do thank you for your honesty, and I must say I am flattered by your admission. It has been a while since I had somepony express their feelings towards me. I also do believe that you said nothing to your fellow guards, which leads me to believe that somepony was snooping and saw you speaking with me and surmised that we were together. Before you truly say that you love me, you must understand that love requires time for us to get to know each other more as friends before I can commit in my heart. Is this something that you could accept?" 

Well, things were going better than expected, considering this odd premise the two were now involed in. The two together... The more he thought them as a couple thr more he liked it but more far away it seemed. 

His thoughts were stopped when the princess spoke again. She did say qiote a lot though, barely giving him time to reply to all in time, so he decided to stay quiet until she was done. 

"I... I am honored you feel like that." he first said, regarding the first part of she being flattered he was in love with her. Well, progress! Kinda. 

It also made sence mamy ponies had claimed to love her. Seeing how beautiful she was, her position... Well, just that it was she, the mare he had fell in love with, was good enough reason for somepony to say that. He felt even better after she stated that it had been ao long since somepony had said that to her. But he then remained silent and allowed her to finish. 

Finally, the last two parts. The first one, made sense. After he told her he was in love with her, maybe somepony heard and after somepony else saw him talking with her, this rumor of he dating her came to be something. 

Then came the second part. Oh... OH!

Wait, did that meant...

"That means... I... I Have..." he though out loud, though in a low voice. Still, it was still loud enough for Luna to hear, and it was a bit obvious what he was saying to himself. He then stopped and looked up to her at her question. Oh dear, this day...

"Of course, princess! I understand!" he said a bit hastly, hoping Luna didnt heard, or minded, what he had just said. 

Archived