[Dragon] Incandescence

Mutt

[ Creature Related Character ]

Roleplay type: World of Equestria RP

Name: Incandescence

Sex: Female

Species: Dragon

Eye Color: Cloudy Grey

Physique & Colors: A small dragon with an average body and slightly elongated arms and legs. A ridge of scales adorns her from tail to crown. Each angled back toward her tail, which ends in a point, no spade. Each tiny ridge is almost like the tooth of a rotary saw. Her belly and underside is covered in golden scales, which contain hints of pink, red and blue hues. Her back and sides contain a collection of blue scales with pink and red as an occasional intermediary, and a face of mostly blue tones. Incandescence considers herself to be a strong and masculine individual, but she's really not the best at supporting this viewpoint at times.

Residence: A small bungalow in Canterlot, part of a student housing project, a small building built for one, and furnished with her earnings.

Occupation: Magical Fax Machine, Personal Assistant, Cleanliness Aide (Maid), and ESPECIALLY Gofer

Motivation: Incandescence is a bit of a directionless individual, but if we had to put a finger on one, it is currently keeping herself busy. The more she has that she can set her mind to, the less she has to think about herself.

Likes: All manner of gemstones and metals, particularly bismuth. She has a healthy appetite for sulfur and magnesium as well. Actually, she'll eat just about anything she's allowed to, her cast iron furnace of a stomach is good for that. She also enjoys being praised. Actually, she thrives on praise, and though she pretends not to care, the very fact that someone voices a belief that she is worthwhile can keep her from descending into time consuming venting late at night, when she is alone (though she enjoys this as well, it is very satisfying.) She especially enjoys keeping scales polished, she says its because it reflects heat, but it is probably because she wishes to make a good presentation.

Dislikes: Being a personal assistant, being asked to do things. Being TOLD to do things. Being alone at night with her thoughts. Ponies in general for no justifiable reason and talking about her real feelings to anyone.

Character Summary: Incandescence was hatched at Celestia's Academy for Gifted Ponies some time ago. She does not remember the incident that led to her being alone, she simply knows that now she is alone and has developed an irrational fear of self-destructing. Perhaps the pony did not want her, or they left her for some other reason. The only thing she does know is a story of how she got her name. Regardless of the case, she is how she is. Incandescence is a happy dragon, a sad dragon, an angry dragon. But mostly, she is a busy dragon, and an unjustifiably angsty one. She now lives on the school grounds, awaiting the day things will change for her.

Incandescence is a very busy dragon, because being a hard worker, she is very good at the things she does, and the things she does are numerous. At any given moment, she may be stopped around the school and surrounding grounds, and told to send a message, which she will as long as she can picture where or to whom she is supposed to send it to. At any given moment, a pony may pull her off the street to help them with transcribing, paper pushing, lifting and carrying, or dextrous tasks. At any given moment, she may be drug into a dining hall to scrub the floor with actively heated water. At any given moment, she may be given a fetch quest to complete. Her days are long, exhausting, and sometimes painful. However, she is well compensated for her troubles, some might say overcompensated, except for when those ponies charm her into not accepting payment (which is not particularly hard, as proper complimenting can sometimes make her wave her fee entirely.), or taking their... food, as payment. Perhaps they pity her, she doesn't know why, she doesn't need no stinking pony pity. She's just fine on her own, she didn't need anyone to bring her up. She's doing much better than she would have had she been with just one pony, she has connections now! or, well at least, people recognize her.

Incandescence is a very angsty dragon, for reasons she fails to understand, but her methodology is always the same. She gets up, goes to work, and is perfectly happy to aid ponies in whatever task they desire, so long as they are happy to see her (and, usually, can pay). When they are not, or they are less than respectful, she still does what they ask of her, but she purposely drags her feet. She does this day in, day out, sunrise, sunset, seemingly ad infinitum, using her ability to pump up her internal flames to keep herself going. When she has free time, she reads to herself, or practices her special talent, and attempts to fulfill her love of cooking and plating. Her special fire talent, is of course breathing fire inside her own body. She can build it so hot, that her body shifts through a color spectrum, glowing with heat, She doesn't know how far she can push this, but never likes to go past blue.

When she is not working, or reading, or practicing, she is thinking. She is alone with her thoughts, and this is why she is angsty. Alone, her thoughts mingle and muddle. She begins to grow angry. All these ponies, they use her. They use her for whatever they want, they don't like her, they like that she does things for them. She is simply a little helper monkey, how dare they treat her this way. It's not right, it's not fair. It will stop! Someday she will be powerful, and big, and then they will all see. These thoughts, untrue of course, but insistent and prevalent, run through her mind, though fade when she is with others, to be replaced by less vehement bottled qualms and anxieties, and desires she is unable to understand, hopes that she is afraid to recognize.

Incandescence is an odd, lonely, hard working, happy, depressed, angry dragon. A dragon with no family, no direction, and no real friends. A dragon with many issues, and no way to understand them or begin to cope. She is a dragon, a dragon who lives alone in a world of ponies to whom she cannot relate. A dragon who can neither understand nor control her emotions. A dragon who is barely holding on to her happiness through hard work and socialization. Maybe some day she'll find a way to conquer her issues, and not have to struggle. Here's hoping.

The rules are a little hazy when it comes to dragons, but my understanding is that young cannot own houses. Ergo, I think he might be better off being a resident at the school, helping as necessary, as his unicorn abandoned him for whatever reasons as it was. He can earn his keep doing the odd jobs, which is okay as well in that regard. He could harbor bitterness for the unicorn, as well. The bungalow could be a dorm or something where he shares with other young abandoned dragons perhaps, or homeless students. I could see his angsty and anger stemming from the fact that he could have been anyone but instead gets relegated to being a drudge at the school and yearns someday to belong to someone, either a lonely unicorn at school or someday make something of himself. Give him a hope, I think, of being better than he is, not just leading on that someday he's going to be the scourge of Canterlot.

Edited, but regarding the motivations for his future and reason for his issues, as well as his future... I do not want to plot them out like that, and it would defeat the purpose of not having him understand himself. Just because, when he is alone, he entertains fantasies of becoming something unpleasant, does not mean it would happen. The future is an open book, and things can change so quickly. There is plenty of opportunity for him to develop and grow naturally, whether he gets better or worse depends on himself and those around him.

Edited, but regarding the motivations for his future and reason for his issues, as well as his future... I do not want to plot them out like that, and it would defeat the purpose of not having him understand himself. Just because, when he is alone, he entertains fantasies of becoming something unpleasant, does not mean it would happen. The future is an open book, and things can change so quickly. There is plenty of opportunity for him to develop and grow naturally, whether he gets better or worse depends on himself and those around him.

I realize this. I guess I'm just not too terribly comfortable with such a dark thing having no direction, but I guess you may develop him later. If you do make revisions to him, be sure to let us know so he can be reapproved later, but for now I'll consider him approved pending further moderator decisions. Approved.

• 6 months later...

Well, as I told Skye when I was altering it, I was only making small changes. I finished the edits the day it was moved over to this section. I've told him several times over Skype, but it would have behooved me to contact him privately, because Skype can get pretty hectic. I've been dumb.