[Sugarcube Corner] Looking for wings [Open]

Tempest Rime

"Dashiiiiiieeeeee!" Pinkie called out, sitting below Rainbow's house. "Hey Rainbow Dash, are you home?" She had been calling for a few minutes now. She sighed. "I guess she's not," she said to herself, "and she would have loved my prank idea. Oh well, I can tell her later. I wonder if I can find someone else to help me get ahold of some of those Cloudsdale rainbows. At least I got all the jelly I should need."

She bounded off back to Sugarcube Corner, barely noticing the load of supplies she'd picked up on her shopping trip. "I'm baaaaack!" she announced to the Cakes happily as she hopped into the back to put everything away. "Oh, and I got a special order for some of my jalapeño frosted cake from a couple of ponies at the market, so I'm gonna start makin' it."

She hummed a little tune as she mixed up the recipe and put it into the oven. She set the timer and bounced back into the front room to see if there was anyone who needed help, or if any of her new friends from the market had shown up yet.

"Morning Pinkie!" Cake Wrecks called as he entered the shop. He sauntered up to the counter, placing a front leg on it and leaning his cheek against his hoof. "I'm just on my way back from Manehattan, thought I'd stop through Ponyville seeing as it's on the way back to Fillydelphia." He sniffed the air, taking in the delightful scents of the baked goods. "Say there, what have you got cooking today? Anything new?" He bent and surveyed the baked goods and sweet treats through the glass panels under the counter, scanning for anything he didn't recognize.

"Hiya Cakey!" Pinkie said, recognizing the delivery pony and greeting him with her usual smile. "Actually, I'm making a special order jalapeño frosted cake for someone who wanted to try it! We don't get to make those everyday, 'cause they don't sell well for some reason, but a few ponies were interested, so I went ahead and started one. Oh, but it's not ready yet, it's still baking."

She jumped back to the kitchen door to peek at the timer. "It'll be a little while if you wanted to try it. Oh! But I almost forgot, Mrs. Cake baked one of her special, super secret recipe, chocolatey chocolicious double-chocolate chocolate frosted chocalate chip chocolate cake cakes, too! She hasn't made one of those since the Princess came by! Also, I've got a secret project I'm working on, but it's still secrety secret still."

She grinned proudly at... whatever it was she was babbling about. Suddenly a thought occured to her. "Oh hey! You wouldn't happen to know somepony who could get me some of that liquid rainbow stuff they had in Cloudsdale, would you? I just know I can make it taste good somehow! And just think how cool it would be to flavor candy with ACTUAL RAINBOWS!" She lowered her voice to a loud whisper. "Also I need it for my secret project."

"Well, Pinkie, those sound like they'd be--" Cake paused. He had been focused on the food under the counter, and hadn't had time to process exactly what it was that Pinkie Pie had just said. Jalapeño cupcakes? Those sounded so bad they just might be good, but Cake wasn't going to chance it today. "Maybe I'll just...take a couple back with me, see if the boss might want to make a special order, y'know?"

"A piece of that cake while I'm waiting though might just hit the spot." he licked his lips thinking about it. "About that liquid rainbow stuff...I mean, I've got connections in Cloudsdale, but I don't think that uh...I don't think "actual rainbows" are for eating, Pinkie Pie. But, would you mind telling me a bit more about this secret project?"

"One piece of chocolatey chocolate chocolate cakey choco... wait..." Pinkie paused, counting in her head for a moment. "Well, whatever, one piece of the special coming riiiiiight up!" She zipped to the counter and was quickly shooed away my Mrs. Cake, who cut the piece for the unicorn herself.

"Uh, well, I guess Mrs. Cake will get it, she's protective of her special cakes. It takes a lot of work to make all those layers. Anyway, I can wrap up a slice or two of the cake for you when it finishes, but it won't keep too long, so I dunno about taking it all the way back to... where are you from anyway?"

"Oh, and I know rainbows aren't know for their flavor, I tried some when I went to Cloudsdale with my friends, they're really really extra super spicy and hurt a whooole lot, and my friends said my face even turned colors, which is kinda nifty. But I wanna experiment with them, cause I couldn't really taste the actual flavor, and I bet there's something good hidden under there if I can just tone down the burn." She paused, a worried expression suddenly overtaking her. "You don't think they're poisonous if you eat too much of them do you? That would just like totally ruin ALL my plans!"

Cake almost facehoofed, then thought better of it. Nearly every time he came, Pinkie asked where he was from. She remembered his name, sure. But he was there often enough that he would have thought she could remember something so simple.

'Fillydelphia, Pinkie.' he said, trying not to sound irate. 'Don't worry about it getting stale, I have that covered.'

He noticed that Pinkie had avoided his last question...but he let it slide. 'As for the rainbows...well, it'll be a bit before I can get in contact with somepony from Cloudsdale again. I don't know about it being poisonous though. That'd be something to ask one of the makers. I mean, if you haven't gotten sick yet, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about now. I don't know what you could make with something that tastes how you described it. I mean, it might make an interesting color combination, but...'

Mrs. Cake brought him his piece of chocolate cake just then. He grabbed the plate in his teeth, taking it over to one of the tables and sitting down. He grabbed it up in a hoof, taking a bit and savoring all the chocolatey goodness. 'But y'know, if you ever do make anything out of it, that would be a great recipe to take back to Filly. I mean, if I'm helping you get this liquid rainbow stuff, it's only fair that you share any recipes that make it.' He winked at Pinkie, taking another bite of cake.

"Ooooh, right, I think you mentioned that before," said Pinkie, shortly before she forgot it again. "I dunno, though, I didn't get sick or anything, but if I'm gonna cook with it I need to know for sure that it's absotively posilutely safe. Especially if I manage to make something that isn't so ouchie, 'cause it'd be easy to eat a whole lot of it that way. I only had a teensy little lick."

She frowned. "Sorry, Cake, I think I'll have to hold off on the rainbows for now, at least until I can look up the toxicology of rainbows. I bet Twilight would have a book I on that. I'll get back to you, ok?"

There was a ding from the back room and she snapped back to normal from the serious face she'd been making. "Ooo! Time to check the cake, I'll be right back." She zipped into the back room for a few moments, and there was a loud crash, provoking Mrs. Cake to check up on Pinkie apprehensively. Before long, however, Pinkie came zipping back out. "It's cooling, then Mrs. Cake said she was gonna take over frosting it, so I gotta watch the counter now. It should be ready in just a few minutes now."

• 2 weeks later...

Hearing the crash, Cake jumped. Turning to see what the commotion was, he saw Pinkie Pie just exiting the kitchen. How Sugarcube Corner was still standing, he wasn't entirely sure...it seemed that every time he came by, some thing spilled, or crashed, or tipped overâ€â€Âand yet the place was normally so orderly looking.

"Sure thing, Pinks!" he said in reply. Taking the last bite of his cake, he licked his hoof clean. This was the life. Eating sweets and treats all the time, traveling around and seeing the world. Not much else a pony could ask for.

He looked down and wiped some crumbs off his belly. Then he made his way back over to the counter and set the plate upon it. "So, what's the news about the town?" he asked. He was curious about recent news, true, but Pinkie probably was the best pony to ask. Still, he needed something to pass the time. Maybe she'd tell him something newsworthy after all...or perhaps not.

"Hmmm, news..." Pinkie pondered for a moment. "Well, there's a bunch of new ponies in town, like sooooo many it's crazy, I mean it's not like we never used to get new ponies, but lately there's been a lot more. I wonder if it has something to do with the whole Black Snooty thing. I'm sure you heard about that, though, that's old news by now."

"Um... oh oh! You heard about my friend Rainbow Dash winning the Best Young Flier competition in Cloudsdale, right? She was so totally amazing, I mean she's always amazing, but she was extra amazing, and I even got to go see it, cause Twilight found a spell to let us walk on clouds and everything, and that's where I tasted liquid rainbows, and normally I like spicy food, but they were so spicy I couldn't even handle them, which is why I thought cooking with them might be a good challenge. And... uh, what were talking about again, I'm kinda hungry."

Pinkie eyed the chocolate cake hungrily, and pranced over to it. She was a split second from taking a large bite out of it when Mrs. Cake darted out of the back room and scooped it up in the nick of time, carrying it back into the kitchen with her. Pinkie's jaws snapped shut on thin air, and she looked around confused for a moment.