Unity Ring [FINAL]

Volt

Roleplay Type: FiM/Show "Mane" Equestria Universe

Name: Unity Ring

Sex: Male

Species: Unicorn

Coat Color: Light Purple

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: Pale blond connected with pale pink. Natural, medium length hairs and long tail. Golden bracelets on front hooves. He's wearing bracelets as a sign of recognition, without them, he feels a bit out of place.

Eye Color: Light Green

Cutie Mark: A pair of golden circles, resembling rings. Linked together inseparably. Earned after “helping out” an elderly pony in “need”. (In-depth below) His Cutie Mark reminds him how much influence can any pony have for others lives, that's why he respects everypony around, although he doesn't have to agree with them. It also reminds that he's there to bring happiness into life of others by uniting them.

Physique: Commonly sized pony with rather slick body shape. Average height.

Origin: Born in Canterlot and continues living there, although he spent his youth in Trottingham.

Occupation: Goldsmith. Has opened a jewelery shop in Canterlot barely few days ago.

Motivation: Unity moved to Canterlot assuming that it's the only place he may fulfill his dreams of becoming well known jeweler. Even though he realizes that competition there will be a horrible thing to overcome, he strongly believes he'll succeed thanks to hard work and devotion. His another, subconscious reason, is the fact that he hopes to assimilate lifestyle and manners of the upper class ponies. On top of all of that, he now needs to find his parents too.

Likes: Shiny stuff, Hard satisfactory work, Meeting customers needs, Self-confidence, Business, Kindness, Patience, Splendor, Classical music, Compliments, Complimenting others, Sightseeing.

Dislikes: Lies, Stubbornness, Unsatisfied customers, Undecided ponies, Bad manners, Egoism, Being ignored, Irrational behavior.

Character Summary:

Unity was born in Canterlot, in one of many medium-class families. He doesn't have any siblings. His parents, WhiteRose and Gentler, struggled to gain attention of higher class ponies in order to establish good family connections for their newborn from the very day he opened his eyes. Unfortunately, they didn't predict how time consuming and tiring this may be. That's why they've decided to send their foal to his grandparents, Mr and Ms Oakie in Trottingham, promising that one day they'll return to pick him up.

Years passed slowly, while Mr and Ms Oakie observed how Unity grew up. Very soon he became curious of world and started discovering it with his own senses. Unity found living with grandparents quite interesting. He enjoyed helping them out a lot, although he didn't share their passion to nature. He simply took joy in very idea of working and being there for others. He was taking great care and pride in everything he did.

As he grew up, the time has came to attend school. On his way, he always passed near an old jewelery shop. He'd never forget the first time he saw the display case. All this dazzling, sparkling and shining... With the pass of time, he found courage to walk inside, and just few days later became very good friends with jeweler, elder pony named Glitberg. Years of noisy work crippled elders' hearing, but Silden didn't mind that. Goldsmith quickly noticed his passion to everything that's shiny, so within spare time he started presenting his collection of rare products to young colt. And one day, things went out of control. It happened that Glitberg had to leave for few minutes, entrusting shopkeeping to Unity for a moment, just before closing. Soon after, a young pair of ponies rushed into the backyard, demanding a pair of gold-encrusted bracelets at once. They were impatient, they didn't listen. Unity became scared and tense. He didn't want to disappoint the elder, as well as he didn't want to disappoint customers too. Soon, the pressure became so unbearable, that... things... started happening. As his horn started glowing and magic got triggered, different tools were brought to life. Metal pouring into the molds, hammers hitting onto unshaped iron, liquid gold flowing upon prepared casts... Unity tried to stop it, but he knew there was nothing he could do, as he saw similar incidents happening to other ponies recently. After few minutes, everything was over, right when Glitberg stepped back into shop. What he saw, was chaos, a pair of frightened ponies laying on floor, and Unity standing in front of two bracelets on ground. He raised his eyes upon elder and said: “I'm sorry Mr. Glitberg, but I realized I didn't want to disappoint anypony and just make them satisfied and happy...”. Unity, with a slight smile, turned his side to elder pony. Glitberg noticed a Cutie Mark, which wasn't there a quarter of hour ago. It was a pair of golden rings, inseparably linked together. He examined a pair of bracelets once more. They were imperfect, done in a hurry, still smoking and wooden floor was burnt out in place they've landed. But nopony without some talents could achieve even that. That's when he decided to pass his knowledge to Unity.

After few years, Unity was grown up already and had learned a lot about smelting and crafting. Glitberg hired him, sharing the incomes. “One day” he said, “if you continue improving your skills, you may reach stairs of Canterlot eventually!”. For the first time, Unity remembered his parents. He rushed back to grandparents to ask them about dad and mom. They told him stories beyond his dreams, about a city full of riches and splendor, about culture, manners, society, beauty and joy. Back then, Unity decided to gather his savings, and start a new life and career near his parents. He somehow managed to find a spot for his shop and first thing he did after arrival, was asking everypony around about WhiteRose and Gentler. It turned out they were nowhere to be found in Canterlot. Unity didn't know what to think about this. Was he abandoned? Have something wrong happened to them? It was a great pain for him. That's when he sworn to find out what had happened to them, even if this meant traveling all over Equestria. Even though this may become a hard task, he's fully aware of that and ready, believing, that a bit of patience and kindness may open up every doors.

post-2769-0-49176200-1330786018_thumb.jp

I really liked this application, it's very well explained and I really enjoyed reading Silder's story! Although, I think you called him 'Gilder' at one point? Perhaps, a typo..

Maybe you could add more about how he actually made the rings?

Thank you very much :) Now, "Gilder" is just an other way to call a goldsmith. "Silden" was supposed to be connected with his profession lightly. Unless I've messed something up, so if this confirms I'll come up with other name in a flash. Also, I've revised the text, and it's true. I should have explained the process instead of leaving it a mystery, since that's his talent after all. I'll write those two things down and wait for something else to come up yet, just in case, so I'll be able to deal with all of this all at once. I'll post changed version later on with a change log :)

I like this character. You show a good understanding of cutie marks, as yours represents both his special talent *and* something about his personality, the way he approaches the world. And I like the unison of those two concepts - jewelry bringing ponies together, making a difference. It fits.

However, the cutie mark story I'd question - at that age, unicorns are just then struggling to learn how to use their magic... so using his magic to make the bracelets is questionable.

Second - jewelrymaking is hard. You don't start off your first time making a perfect pair of bracelets - you have to practice a lot before you get a good piece done. It's extremely unlikely - even Rarity, you'll notice, didn't get her cutie mark by spontaneously creating a fabulous outfit. She'd already been working hard at her sewing and design for a good long time, to some sense of frustration. She'd already practiced and worked hard - and her cutie mark was obtained after finally, *finally*, after a lot of practice, creating something she felt was worthwhile.

Also, I think the old pony would have noticed the ringing of a hammer on anvil back in the shop, as the bracelets were made?

( By the way - remember that Rarity *did* have a ring in her fantasy about 'Him' )

And finally ...

I'm afraid I don't recognize the significance of the name 'Silden'. What is a silden?

Understood. I was really waiting forward for some replies, because I realize this app cannot be perfect from the very start. I'll start reworking it as soon as I'll come back from university and will have some spare time. Meanwhile, I'll add those to "ToDo" list. Maybe I should write next char at daylight, not late evening after all :twisted:

Also, I think the old pony would have noticed the ringing of a hammer on anvil back in the shop, as the bracelets were made?

Oh, but that's an easy question. Years of working near the hammer in all this noise made him at least a bit deaf in his late age. I'll try to place it somewhere in the history in order to remove that little detail question you've made though :halo:

Edit: I forgot to add I enjoyed the fact you made effort of bringing up Rarity as an example, knowing as she'd be best to explain it to me :Rarity:

Now there, after doing some rearrangements in the character and seeing that nopony else has objections, I've decided to throw it onto deep waters of final version, with a little of explanation though.

Name: Unity Ring, where Unity stands for his personality, uniting ponies together, bringing them happiness, making them agree with each other. Ring of course refers to Cutie Mark as well as his profession.

At first I wanted him to be upper-class pony, but I've decided it wouldn't fit to a working one, that's why I've changed it onto upper-class-wannabe.

And, since after reading this whole thing through once again I realized, he was not, I repeat NOT influenced by Rarity. You have my pony word on that... This looks bad :sleep:

Also, once more sorry for such a long version, as I'll try to shorten those next times.

Ow. I must confess, I was expecting more complications I'll have to deal with. It's really pleasant surprise to me, for which I'm grateful. Now, I guess, new challenges await.