Pale Ale [FINAL]

WhiteSlash

Roleplay Type: World of Equestria RP

Name: Pale Ale

Sex: Male.

Species: Earth Pony.

Coat colour: A light musky brown with a darker patch of stubble around the muzzle and mouth.

Mane/Tail/Markings colour & Style: Dark maroon mane with a hint of brown and darker streaks at intervals styled in a simple well kept but messy finish. Three dark brown freckles on his left cheek. Visible hooves with somewhat bushy fur around them. Tail is lengthy and bushy also red with a darker streak. Surprisingly well kept. Sometimes wore up in the style of a mohawk. Sometimes when wore like this his mane will be dyed with a blood red colour. His mane constantly sweeps over to the right side of his face only just approaching over his right eye.

Eye colour: Sky blue eyes with naturally large pupils. Needs glasses but hates wearing them. Refuses to have them fixed by any form of unicorn magic.

Cutie Mark/Story: Pale's cutie mark is two glass tankards being smashed together by the brim with a slight explosion of ale escaping both glasses. When Pale was young his dad took him to the local pub. On the way there his father explained how he used to do the same with his dad and so on and so forth. It seemed to be a small family tradition that had evolved in some aspects over the many years. Pale's dad had learned to play Pool from his dad and planned to teach Pale the sport. After 2 hours or so Pale had really taken to the game. The day just seemed to get better and better. Pale has always seen his father trotting back and forth between the bar back to the game bringing with his each time a new glass filled to the top with a frothy head slightly pertruding from brim.

This continued until suddenly Pale's father brought over a small glass which held, little did he know at the time, Pale Ale's destiny. It was the perfect father son moment as Pale drank up his gift with glee. The taste really hit Pale, he had heard from some people that the taste was something they never quite enjoyed but for Pale it was amazing. The night slowly passed and with each second Pale's smile grew ten fold. Though like all good things this did come to an end. It was from then on that Pale took to trying to make his own craft beer. It was tricky at first and often led to somewhat, sickening outcomes but he kept going. Trial and error was now the main part of his days. What little money he was scraping by on went to his current venture as he was slightly obsessed with the idea of making it big. In the end though Pale brewed something spectacular. Something so incredibly wonderful that he himself was taken aback by the taste.

Standing squarely in the center of a grimy apartment in Trottingham surrounded by various failed mixtures of beer, whiskey, cider. The lot. This is where Pale found himself when the bright burst of light exploded from his flank. This was the scene where the unsuspecting hero learns his true potential. The mixture in question soon came to meet Lager'n'Lime's ideas and became the cornerstone Equestrian Pale Ale of their business, Tim'Buck'Too EPA.

Physique: Very fit and sporty build, naturally thinner than most but this is likely due to him being quite tall compared to others. Enjoys a good meal but it really doesn't snow.

Origin: Born elsewhere but raised in ponyville. Pale Ale sports quite a rather unusual accent. A very strong accent at that. Relatively normal foal hood but he grew into a rather eccentric Stallion. After moving out from his parents house he moved up into Trottingham but he tends to travel a lot due to his job.

Occupation: Currently owns and runs a small brewery with his best friend Lager'n'Lime. Has done for quite some time now. The things they brew have a uprising cult following and have an obvious target audience alongside a strong reason as to why they brew these. Recently opened up a Pub in Trottingham. Although he fears it he knows that when his business takes off he will plant more bars throughout Equestria. Next stop Ponyville.

Motivation: With Pale always being a rather creative stallion he has always hoped to run off and create masterpieces of literature that other ponies would read in amazement. But alas these dreams proved to be far from a reality. Though in the down and out years in which he spent trying to find something else to do he met Lager'n'Lime. They shared a great deal in common and this helped ignite their friendship beyond beliefs.

Though one thing stood out more so than everything else. They both had a strong dislike for the common mass marketed ales for sale. They all seemed to be lacking the care and love that they would one day put into their own craft beer. Pale continues to try and spread the word of his brewery across Equestria to other like minded ponies as he wants only the best for his fellow ponies. Sometimes he fears what might happen when their business booms but for now it is most certainly quality over quantity.

• Punk music, he translates this a lot of their products.
  • Going out and having tons of fun with his friends.
  • Alternative craft beer.
  • Playing guitar even though he can't play well.
  • Live comedy.
  • Coming up with new ideas for upcoming product.
  • Exercising. Has recently took up boxing as a way to do so.

Dislikes:

• Mass marketed, flavorless beer.
  • Giant corporations taking and giving little back.
  • Heights.
  • Bullies.
  • Wearing glasses and the fact that he needs them.
  • Conformity.
  • The weather. He often argues that it is either too hot or too cold. Never just right.

Dress Sense: Anything that will make him stand out. He doesn't want to conform to the social norm. Work clothes are required when brewing though. Safety first.

Personality: Pale is a highly rebellious individual. Even though he might not portray himself as such he is actually quite smart, though his school records don't say the same. He has no intent on conforming to a norm so she can fit in. He is glad to stand out in a crowd and would never change this. He has an unusually strong view on beer and this led to his current career. He isn't afraid of a challenge and will always speak his mind. Quite creative and witty with a good sense of humor. Generally doesn't like his appearance though he tries to act like he does. Sometimes even though he does his best to stand out he often finds himself changing certain aspects of himself when around someone he really likes. A flaw which he really can't seem to fix or get over.

Character Summary: Growing up was fairly simple and fun for Pale. Whilst he didn't do well in school he excelled with his social life. He had close friends with whom he had a lot of great times. Pale tried to succeed in School but it just didn't happen. He knew he was smart and capable of great things but his parents were very rough on him. Not a lot of positive reinforcement in his early years. When push came to shove, school ended and his friends sadly dispersed. He was tossed out into the real world by himself. Though this might come across as a sad sob story Pale actually was quite happy with all this. In the years before leaving he had really bonded with his father. The two were nigh inseparable. He taught Pale everything he knew and more and Pale knew that even though he had this knowledge passed down to him and that his father would always have his back he had to become his own Stallion. Moving out was the perfect opportunity and it really paid off. Albeit with a slow start.

For the first few years following moving out he struggled to get by. He stayed in a small apartment gaining money from what little jobs he could do. Though Pale kept a cheery face and powered on through it. He had always kept on keeping on. He wasn't one for laying down and quitting. He knew that soon enough he would be able to follow his dream. Admittedly the struggle might have been due to the young age at which he moved out but that was down to his parents. Soon Pale met Lager'n'Lime and they instantly clicked. The pair took off in search of a shared fortune and soon they found it.

Pale and Lager were like two peas in a pod. They connected on a brotherly level with the only thing missing being the blood in their veins. Though at some times they would argue, they never fell out. A reasonable outcome was always found and they got right back to it. In the starting days of their business they felt proud to be the dark horse in a race. Much to their surprise though the whole idea took off. They were making money off of their beliefs and in their eye's bettering Equestria. Later into the business and still in the present the pair share a fear of things to come. Would their iconic Tim'Buck'Too EPA (Equestrian Pale Ale) remain that independent beacon of light?

Today Pale and Lager continue to run the small but successful Brewery together which has a pretty large cult following. Still they remain adamant that the product they brew is of a finer quality and possesses a better taste than almost any other on the market. The recent addition of a bar to their business has not only increased profits by a large amount but also opened up various business deals. However this is a part of the system neither of the ponies have much strength in. Their not sure whether their product should be sold by others. Then again the amount of money they would draw in would allow them to expand exponentially. As Lager worries about the business, Pale keeps a cool head and continues to invent awesome new recipes.

As a recent side project Pale and Lager have decided to open up their bars to aspiring acts and musicians. The stage is set and their hearts are in the right place. The idea will hopefully draw in a lot of business and help said acts.

A list of some of the products available:

Trashy Mare EPA - Like getting bucked in the chest. In a good way.

Stone-Colt EPA - On tap if you think you can handle it.

Mane-line Stout - It's cheap and it ain't too strong. Tasty though.

Discord-ish Aged Stout (aged in whiskey barrels) - The secret ingredient makes it boom.

Canterlittle Amber Ale - The taste of royalty. If that's your thing.

Tim'Buck'Too EPA - You've probably never heard of it.

Iron Pony Club UPA (Unyasi Pale Ale) - Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough.

Cloudsdlae Hardcase Pilsner - Soft like the clouds and smooth as air.

Pale Ale: Two images as I liked the new pony creator and have totally exploited it :L

post-3706-0-06354200-1346368246_thumb.pn Minus the tattoos!

• 2 weeks later...

Admittedly I realise that this App probally won't work in the Mane RP but I remain hopeful XD Open for critique.

Actually, I think there's a lot here that would work in the Mane RP. The one problem I see here is the history around his cutie mark.

Generally, we assume that a pony gets their cutie mark during their foalhood. Your back story seems to imply that he was an adult who was out on his own for several years before getting his. You should adjust his cutie mark story to make it earlier in his life. Maybe something about a visit to a bar or a brewery as a foal that inspired him (but that's just a suggestion). Now, just because he has his cutie mark, he could still not know quite what to do with himself. So the meeting with his friend could still happen the same way, they'd just have already been interested in brewing.

If you can make these adjustments to the application, we'll see about moving it up to approval.

Actually, I think there's a lot here that would work in the Mane RP. The one problem I see here is the history around his cutie mark.

Generally, we assume that a pony gets their cutie mark during their foalhood. Your back story seems to imply that he was an adult who was out on his own for several years before getting his. You should adjust his cutie mark story to make it earlier in his life. Maybe something about a visit to a bar or a brewery as a foal that inspired him (but that's just a suggestion). Now, just because he has his cutie mark, he could still not know quite what to do with himself. So the meeting with his friend could still happen the same way, they'd just have already been interested in brewing.

If you can make these adjustments to the application, we'll see about moving it up to approval.

Huh! Yes I understand what you're saying. To be honest the Cutie Mark Story was something I was worried about, I hoped that what I put originally would work but I did realise that it basically implies underage drinking. Thanks for the advice and I shall make the suggested changes soon!

Sorry for the delay. This app is close, but I need to ask one more thing: Your cutie mark story is a little hard to follow. It almost feels like the pool-playing is the focus, but really it's the father / son bonding at the pub. If you can re-word this to make it clearer, we can get this character approved.

Sorry for the delay. This app is close, but I need to ask one more thing: Your cutie mark story is a little hard to follow. It almost feels like the pool-playing is the focus, but really it's the father / son bonding at the pub. If you can re-word this to make it clearer, we can get this character approved.

That's quite alright XD Yeah I kind of figured as much, should be quite an easy fix! Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the cutie mark story still needed some clarification. I understand what you are trying to put across, but it's not very clear about how or why he got his mark. You might consider changing the story to focus more on his growing passion for brewing, rather than him tasting ale for the first time and saying "I can do better than this!" How would he know what makes a good drink after tasting it once, you know? This might occur when he's a little bit older, though. He might dabble in making cider, and slowly coming to realize his special talent is in brewing beverages. It doesn't just have to be ale -- a truly skilled brewmaster works in all aspects of fermented beverages. You could even "ponify" them to give real flavor and context to the type of character this is.

Hope this helps!

I think the cutie mark story still needed some clarification. I understand what you are trying to put across, but it's not very clear about how or why he got his mark. You might consider changing the story to focus more on his growing passion for brewing, rather than him tasting ale for the first time and saying "I can do better than this!" How would he know what makes a good drink after tasting it once, you know? This might occur when he's a little bit older, though. He might dabble in making cider, and slowly coming to realize his special talent is in brewing beverages. It doesn't just have to be ale -- a truly skilled brewmaster works in all aspects of fermented beverages. You could even "ponify" them to give real flavor and context to the type of character this is.

Hope this helps!

Ah Borderlands 2 has struck at a bad time :L Well here goes! I'm going to start from the end of that for a certain reason. "Ponify" I must admit that this character is actually just myself ponified. My current part time job is working in a brewery that specializes in craft beer. Hence a lot of the information about Pale Ale. It's something that, having only recently discovered, I've found myself being quite passionate about it. This is why I have choose to stick to ale's and such. I know enough about them to hopefully make it work!

I do agree with you about the cutie mark story though. I will work on very soon! Thanks for the help. It's much appreciated.

Things have been rather hectic lately. I understand I keep saying that I will update it but don't :L Uhm I think I might take this back down to WIP and make some more changes. I want this app to be perfect!