The Coltaran Chronicles: Chapter 1, Dark Moon Rising [Equestria] (OPEN)

Valencetiger

GearShift gave Celestia a short little salute. The mare trotted over to Luna and took the princess by the hoof and began to drag her out of the room. "Until dinner Princess Celestia," she said dragging Luna along with her. Gear turned her head to Luna. "We, have a teleportation device to refine."

Luna looked into her sisters eyes, if eyes are the windows to the soul than Luna's were wide open and trying their hardest show her pleading to soul to Celestia. The two mare disappeared around the corner, possibly never to be seen again.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapeau smiled and dipped his head in a brief bow before entering, "Not silly at all ma'am. I'm often mistaken for somepony I'm not." He snickered to himself on the inside as he walked over to an opulent couch and carefully sat down, making sure not to get any dirt of debris on it. Let it not be said he wasn't a courteous thief!

"I'm afraid my husband isn't here right now...but he will arrive in a short while. Please sit down, I'll go make us something to drink."

"Thank you very much Mrs. Armor, or do you prefer Mrs. Cadenza?"Chapeau took the notepad from his vest and the quill from his hat, holding the writing implement with his wingtip. He glanced over at her, poised to write and admiring the vast selection of drinks as he did so. It would be unforgivably suspicious if he didn't do any actual interviewing after all.

Cadence offered a warm smile and shook her head. "Mrs. Armor will do, thank you for asking. It's rare to find many gentlecolts these days." Sitting down herself and pouring two glasses of the apple cider, she passed one over to Rapid Fire and relaxed a bit, tipping her head and looking at him quietly. After a moment, she gave another smile.

"So, let's get this interview started, shall we? I'm sure someone such as you, Rapid Fire, must have a ton of questions, and will probably want it done as soon as possible, correct?"

Taking regal sips from her cider glass, she waited for the barrage of questions.

Celestia giggled a bit as the two mares left. It was an amazing feeling to have her sister back with her, ruling beside her once more. However...memories of what she had done as Nightmare Moon still troubled her. There wasn't any way that the Night Children could turn her again...was there? Pushing the dangerous thought aside, she turned to address the remaining two mares.

"Mjolna, you had best be leaving...no use for you being exhausted when you will be needed most. As for you, Daring Do...please stay for a little while longer."

With a nod and a bow, Mjolna would leave the room quietly. Celestia looked at Daring Do, then turned away and pulled out a book from one of the shelves. After scanning the contents, she nodded and placed it down.

"...my offer still stands, Daring Do. Fortunately, I've discovered a way to fix your wings without so much risk...but there still is some." She didn't know how the flightless pegasus would react to her words, but she might as well try to see what her response would be.

Chapeau smiled and nodded, while sighing on the inside. [colour=#A9A9A9]"You certainly seem to know about us news hounds, but don't worry 'bout no sort of time constraints ma'am, 'less of course you've got somethin' planned. Wouldn't want you to gloss over any interestin' details."[/colour] Darn it Shining Armor, where did you get off to? He licked the tip of his quill and tested it in the corner of his notepad until the ink started flowing, then grinned at Cadence and began, [colour=#A9A9A9]"All right then. You've become quite famous over the past few months, I have no doubt you've noticed. Savin' the kingdom from the changelin' hordes, and all on your wedding day no less. Everypony knows your name now, but what about before all that? Forgive me but I can't remember ever hearing about you before your weddin' plans were announced. Where were you hidin' yourself all those years?" [/colour]Hurry it up Shining or I'll never get rid of this ridiculous accent.

Daring didn't really have time to even try and turn to leave- she felt like she needed some time to think over what she had just gotten involved into- before it was suddenly herself and the Princess, alone. It had been a long time since she had been alone with the Princess. And the last time... well, the last time, words pretty similar to what she was offering her had been exchanged. And the last time... Daring looked down at her bandaged wings. The outcome had changed her life, forever. Daring licked her lips, slightly. Last time, Celestia had made it clear that Daring had a high chance of dying in the reversal of the curse. If she was making the offer again, surely the risk was less... but what was it, still? And did Daring really want to risk it? More to buy herself some more time to think, Daring asked:

"And what would that 'some' entail, Princess?"

Once back in Luna's room the Alicorn and the Technomage went right to to work on the project they had been working on. Both mares worked in absolute silence, neither facing nor talking to each other. The only sound filling the awkward void between them, was the charging of magic, the crushing of gems, and the melting of elastic polymers.

Luna was the first to break the silence.

"Gear-" She was cut off before anything else could be said.

"What am I suppose to do?" She said dejectedly.

"I-I don't understand..." Luna said surprised by Gear's sudden outburst.

"I agreed to help Equestria, but a rebel cult from a land I've never heard of is threatening the nation and I'm one of the best choices to defend us?" See looked down and continued assembling the device. "What can I do? I mean, I don't plan on backing out, but really c'mon, I'm just some university drop out mare." Tubes were connected and were filled with crystal gel as she spoke.

"Yeah, you are a drop out," Luna said seriously. "A drop out with her own lab in Manehatten; A drop out with business connections with the princesses; A drop out with the knowledge to build the most pieces of technology in Equestria; And soon to be a drop out who helped save a nation." She trotted over to GearShift and placed a hoof on the mare's shoulder. "Never sell yourself short, your magical and technological accomplishments dwarf those of almost every unicorn in Equestria." She reached down and took the rebuilt device in her hoof.

"But, but-" She said confused.

"But nothing, you do what you do best. Think, build, and innovate." Luna draped a wing over her friend. "After all you did build Equestria's first fully functional teleportation device." Luna held up a hoof with the small device that they had been working on.

Luna pressed a button on the small orb causing it to whir and come to life. A flash of light and a quiet pop later and the device was gone. Not even a second later it reappeared across the room from Luna and GearShift. It was intact, and perfectly fine. No smoke, no steam, no fire, no elderitch abominations and everypony around was still alive.

"You did it!" Luna said happily.

"No, we did it." Gearshift corrected.

Celestia looked down at the book she had grabbed quietly, thinking about how she would tell Daring...perhaps it was too early to try this, but then again, it was as good a time as ever. She might need her wings if she was going to do this mission to the best of her abilities. Bracing herself for the no doubt incoming decline of her offer, she cleared her throat and began to explain.

"...you see, while the chances of you dying are relatively low with this ritual, it isn't your physical being that should be worried about here. The ritual is basically the separation of your spirit and body, and in order for your wings to be healed, you need to speak with a creature known as...Astral Magus, so this book says. I haven't heard of it before, but from what I've read, he's a rather benevolent spirit. Only those who possess strong hearts and wills should do this, since it takes such to return back to one's body." She had found the spell deep within one of the ancient tomes, it was used to communicate with certain spirits to ask for guidance or power, but only a few ponies could ever accomplish the task. She herself had never tried it, for fear of what may occur...and she normally would not want to try it on any other pony, either...but this was perhaps Daring's only hope at regaining her wings, so by what right did she have to deny her the choice?

Suddenly, from the entrance into the chambers came the two guards Rapid Fire had seen outside. They wore dark, grim expressions, as they closed the door and barred it shut. They had been instructed to do this by Princess Cadence before Rapid Fire had arrived, and now they kept their spears at the ready, just in case of any resistance from the now-cornered pony. Princess Cadence fixed a blank stare on Rapid Fire as she drank her cider quietly, putting it down and addressing him coldly.

"...I believe that it is time we discussed the actual reason you are here, Mister Fire. Or...should I say...Chapeau? Yes, I know who you are...I've known for a while now. How about we get down to business...shall we?" She gave a thin smile behind her glass, waiting for his reaction. The guards grew stiff at hearing the name of the infamous thief, and prepared themselves to protect Cadence if the master thief decided to attack her.

"So I need to convince somepony..." Daring was pretty quick to the realization that this Astral Magus was probably stronger by far than her own Princess, given how it was he who would have to repair her wings. Could she trust somepony with that much power, one she didn't know? Daring mulled over what the Princess had said about needing to be strong of spirit to survive the trip. She remembered how she had been as a youth: fiery, reckless, and insanely lucky. That Daring Do would have done this little thing with no hesitation. And this Daring Do...? Daring sighed, then she suddenly smiled wide, remembering for perhaps the first time in years the thrill of adventure. Her wings seemed to be just a little more springy already. Cheerfully, audaciously, Daring nodded at Princess Celestia.

"Let's do it, Princess."

Celestia gaped a bit at Daring's response. Wait...what? She actually accepted the offer? Then maybe...no, not maybe, she would succeed with the ritual. If Daring said yes, that means that her old spirit was still there. Excellent news! Oh, she had so much to do now...explain the mission to the other ponies, prepare the ritual, speak with Shining Armor, all sorts of things tonight...but she didn't mind, it was her duty as a Princess. Giving a gentle smile, she trotted past Daring, brushing the mare's shoulder with her tail as she went by.

"Good, I'm glad you agreed. Go clean yourself up and rest, we'll eat dinner with the others in a bit, and then begin the spell later tonight."

Saying her farewell, Celestia went in the direction of her chambers. This was the most exciting event in the past couple of years, ever since Twilight and her friends had defeated Chrysalis and her changeling minions. How time seems to fly by...especially for somepony who has lived thousands of years, no less! It had seemed only yesterday that she had taken on Twilight as her student, but now her protege was almost a grown mare. Taking the right on the next hallway, she exited the main castle and began the stair climb up to her tower.

Chapeau resisted the urge to jump when the guards barged in through the door, hoping they were just here to deliver a message. Those hopes were dashed, ground into the floor, and swept into the waste bin as Cadence began to speak again, a frosty edge to her voice now. "...I believe that it is time we discussed the actual reason you are here, Mister Fire. Or...should I say...Chapeau? Yes, I know who you are...I've known for a while now. How about we get down to business...shall we?"

Well, Chapeau thought, this is bad. He'd been caught. How humiliating. Months of planning, dozens of disguises, mere days away from his goal, and to be found out now, so late in the game? It made him ashamed to think of himself as a master. Sitting in front of Princess Cadence, with guards ready to skewer him on cue, Chapeau Stunning felt completely, horribly, monstrously...

Impressed.

He took a swig of the cider still held in a hoof, eyeing the guards' spears as he did so. Placing the glass down again, he met Cadence's gaze levelly, abandonning the annoying Manehatten accent. The corners of his mouth lifted in a small smile, "I must say princess. Of all the ponies I thought were on to me, you were the one I least suspected. You put on a very convincing show of trust and I applaud you for it. I even entertained the illusion that we might be becoming friends, a feat indeed, I must say. Perhaps you could tell me your secret for my next visit?" He sipped his cider again, hooves steady as he forced himself to stay calm and survey the scene he found himself in.

"You misinterpret who I am, Chapeau. Surely you didn't think that I married Shining Armor simply because I love him, did you? Sure...I do love him, with all my heart, but I married him also because of what I do. While my husband takes care of the crime in the open world...I keep an eye on the criminal underworld. In a way, you can consider it a Celestia and Luna relationship. Do you understand...? In either case, you can relax...for you aren't about to be thrown into a dungeon. Well, unless you answer my next question correctly, of course..."

She took another sip of her cider, finishing it and placing it down. Cadence simply couldn't believe that her aunt wanted this criminal for the mission, but...she supposed that it would make sense, to have a pony who understood the darker side of Equestria. Her hoof remained near a slit in her seat, which concealed a knife and was ready for use. Cornered criminals reacted in many different ways...most of them violent. Her pink eyes remained locked on the thief in front of her.

Daring shuddered slightly when Celestia's tail flitted against her shoulder. She could sense the benevolent power of her Princess in that motion, a sort of great warming energy that reassured Daring that everything would be alright in spite of all she had heard. That, and the Princess was pretty darn gorgeous, though Daring wouldn't have the gall to tell the Princess to her face, even back in her hot-blooded days. Daring turned and bowed on her forehooves, paying respect to the Princess as she departed. When the Princess had gone, Daring blew a loose strand of hair from her eyes with an easy grin. She had a couple of minutes- though she wondered why the Princess said to clean herself up? Was she offensive in any way? A cursory sniff of herself showed no offending ordors.

[colour=#8b4513]"... Oh, I should probably get dressed." [/colour][colour=#000000]Daring's clothes were practical and had been with her through a lot, but if she was going to have dinner with royalty... Daring smirked to herself, remembering how much she had used to hate fancy get ups. If she galloped fast enough, she could probably find one of her old ballroom gowns in her old room in the castle. She took off at full speed.[/colour]

Chapeau sat quietly for a few moments, mulling over what he'd just been told. He pressed his lips into a line and absently swirled his cider. So the literal "pretty pink princess" was the mastermind behind the darker side of Equestria's crusade for justice. Now that was something he had not anticipated. He'd had his suspicions for a while now that the guards did some undercover work but he'd never been able to pick out who was in charge of it all. Even now, knowing who it was, he couldn't think of any evidence that would have made him suspicious of Cadence. His respect for her was growing steadily over the course of this unexpected conversation. She would have made an excellent thief.

He lifted his eyes from his cider and looked absently out the window, "It's not the dungeon I'm worried about my lady, though I wouldn't say I'm too excited about it either. No, it's rather the fact that one of us was going to have to be the fool today, and I'm just a bit embarrassed it was my turn. I'm sure you're well aware of how many times I've been caught before, or haven't been caught, as it were."

He turned back to face the princess again still absently curling a wingtip around his pen, "But I suppose you don't really care about that. I am just a despicable ruffian after all; not, how did you put it, a gentlecolt. That one was my favorite I think; you looked so sincere." He took a drink of cider, "But, I'm rambling I think. I assume you're about to make some sort of deal with me, or at least make me an offer? Why else would I still be sitting here and not sitting on the castle walls, my head on a pike and my entrails feeding the birds." He glanced at the cider cabinet, feigning discretion.

"Fortunately, in your case...you are correct." With a slight look of disgust, she pushed an envelope over to the thief, bearing Princess Celestia's seal. "Your services are required by her Majesty. I am certain you've heard of the recent Forerunner problems...? If you accept, her Majesty will offer amnesty to you, and remove all previous crimes from your record. If you refuse...well, I'm sure you are intelligent enough to know what will happen." As if to prove a point, one of the guards moved a hoof past his neck like a guillotine remark.

Cadence leaned back, knowing that Chapeau, like all criminals would accept the proposal. Besides...what other choice did the rogue have, anyway? She hated doing this sort of thing, it made her feel no better than the criminals she hunted down...but it was still in service to Equestria, and she knew it was the right thing to do.

Chapeau chose to ignore the disgust in the princess's eyes as he took the envelope, listening to her offer as he studied the outside of it. Aside from the seal on its front it wasn't particularly obvious that it was of any importance. Apparently though, what the envelope contained could save Chapeau's life, while at the same time making him the lapdog of the princesses. A hated, reviled lapdog no less.

It was, of course, obvious what the smart choice was. After all, what was a lifetime of shame when weighed against an abrupt end to his lifetime? Unfortunately, and at the worst possible time, a thought popped into the thief's mind. He suddenly thought he could almost recall dozens of times when he'd been ordered by somepony in a far more advantageous position to surrender, and had the distinct impression that he'd never done it. He had no idea where the thought had come from, but it seemed to settle itself in his brain, twisting his reason.

He set the envelope down on the table again (OOC: Is there a table?) and simply looked at it for a moment, pondering it. Then he looked up and made sure to look Cadence in the eye, "I can tell you hate me, princess. You're not trying to hide it at all, I know. You're disgusted by what I am, and want me to change into something that better fits your mold of a proper citizen... or perhaps this is a suicide mission, and you just want to see me dead. In either case, I think I have my answer, but before I say it, I want to know yours." He turned the letter around and pushed it toward her, his face fixed on hers and neutral, "What would your answer be, if somepony wanted you to sell yourself to them?"

Cadence stared at the thief blankly, her expression having changed. She had a new-found respect for Chapeau...even if he was a criminal. He was obviously not any dim-witted thug, so perhaps that is why Princess Celestia wanted him...hmm...very well then. She pushed the envelope back, her eyes piercing his own.

"...I would accept the offer. Simply because I'll be able to plan an escape and be free once more...however, this is not the same, Chapeau. Technically, you are being asked to do a service for your homeland. As I said before, you've been offered amnesty for your crimes, as long as you take a part of this mission. The details are in the envelope...but I will explain. You will be paired with three other ponies...all of which are respected ponies here in Equestria...to infiltrate the Forerunners...and bring them down from the inside. Once this is done, you will be free to go. Does that not satisfy you...? After all...I heard espionage is one of your many 'talents'."

With that out in the open, Cadence beckoned for one of the guards to come over. The guard on the right did so immediately, keeping his eyes locked on Chapeau. After a couple of whispers from Cadence, the guard's eyes widened, as he gaped at her in shock. She gave a smile and nodded, and the guard gave Chapeau another dark glare before backing out to the door, grabbing his companion as both of the guards departed.

"Do we have a deal, Mister Chapeau?"

Chapeau was almost as surprised as the guards were when the pair of lawkeepers were dismissed. Not as surprised as the details of his royal assignment had made him, but close. He had expected... actually, he hadn't had any idea what to expect, but taking out these Forerunners was an interesting twist of fate. Taking down the organization that was causing increased guard patrols all over the city, and by royal request no less; maybe his luck wasn't as bad as he'd begun to suspect at the beginning of this exchange.

He tapped a hoof on the tabletop thoughtfully, organizing this new information alongside his pre-existing thoughts, then smiled at the princess, "You are certainly not the mare I thought you were this morning princess. I used to wonder what Shining Armor saw in you that was so special, but I think I'm starting to see it now," He waved a hoof dismissively, "But that's beside the point at the moment. Espionage is indeed one of my finer talents, as well as a few other, unseemly skills that I'm sure you wouldn't be interested in. You can count on my assistence princess, providing you keep your word. I believe removing these 'Forerunners' will be in both out interests in the long run." He slipped the envelope into his saddlebags, intending to read it later, then glanced back at the princess. He quirked his head to the side slightly, "Tell me, when did you figure out it was me coming to interview the palace staff? What gave me away?"

Cadence gave a slightly devious smile, putting her two front hooves together. "...I've known who you are for quite a while, Mister Chapeau. I won't explain my resources...but I knew you were coming today...because I set it up so you came here today. Don't worry yourself, though...you are more fortunate than many of the criminals I have set up before. I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't know how to manipulate someone like you, would I?" Leaving it at that, she sorted a few thoughts in her head, and was particularly surprised by Chapeau's first statement about her and Shining Armor. The thief's words were a bit unsettling, because the truth was Shining Armor had no idea what she was doing. Despite that, it did warm her up a little at hearing it.

"...Princess Celestia is having a dinner tonight in a few hours. I suggest you go to the rooms we already have prepared for you, and clean up. You will meet your associates there...so you should make a good impression. They have no idea of your previous criminal history so far as I know, so they probably won't distrust you...but I can't make any promises. If you stick to your side of the bargain, we'll keep to ours." Standing up from her seat, she gestured to the door with a swish of her tail.

[colour=#A9A9A9]"Dinner with princess Celestia,"[/colour] Chapeau mused to himself as he stood up, tucking his quill into his saddlebags beside the envelope, [colour=#A9A9A9]"I wonder how many pieces I'll be in by tomorrow, or perhaps I'll just be a pile of ash. Or the moon. I hear she likes the moon thing."[/colour] He placed his hat on his head and walked over to the door. He turned back to face Cadence, bowing elegantly, [colour=#A9A9A9]“It has been an honor my lady, particularly the part where I am not in the dungeon. I shall see you at dinner I assume, but until then, good evening to you. Oh, and... do say hello to Shining for me.” [/colour]Turning, he opened the door and smiled brightly at the two frowning guards waiting right outside, [colour=#A9A9A9]“Now then boys, I’m told I have rooms to inspect? Lead on!”[/colour]

[colour=#222222](An hour or so later...)[/colour]

[colour=#222222]Chapeau angled the brush held by his wingtip delicately, using a mirror in his room to put the final touch on his favorite false Cutie Mark design. With a final, practiced dab of dye his flanks completed their transformation, now graced by a Victorian style mask on either side. He smiled and set the brush down beside half a dozen tiny bottles of dye he always concealed in the bottom of his bag, in case he needed to quickly reprofile.[/colour]

[colour=#222222]Besides the new Cutie Mark, he was otherwise out of costume now. A dusty blue suit with a complementing vest adorned his chest and forelegs, while he’d brushed his mane and tail and cleaned up his hat to perfection. He would have preferred his beloved trilby, but he had the glaring suspicion that he was not allowed to leave Cadence’s vicinity, so he made due with adjusting the reporter’s hat to look at least somewhat respectable. It wasn’t every day... nay, it wasn’t even every lifetime that a famed criminal sat down to have a civil dinner with the ruler of the realm.[/colour]

[colour=#222222]With his mark now in place he collected his kit and stored them safely back in his saddlebags. Now then, he thought, removing the envelope, let’s see what exactly I’m to be doing. He spent a moment admiring the craftsmanship of the seal, such artistry put into a simple thing of wax, before breaking it and unfolding the paper, reading the contents with great interest...[/colour]

After the completion of their portable teleportation device, Princess Luna and GearShift parted ways. Gear walked the castle halls on autopilot, after six months of staying here she knew the place like the back of her hoof. After a few minutes trek she arrived in at the room she had be assigned. Her quarters were originally quite lavish, but she politely asked for all of the "high brow" merchandise to be removed. Gear preferred the simpler standards of living, all she required was a bed, some cushions, and a workbench.

She entered her room tossed her saddlebags onto her bed, sighed. Just to day she and Luna had created a device one of her old professors told her would be impossible and Celestia had just asked her what was the equivalent of "We are desperate, please help us save Equestria as you know it". She held her head low as slid into the large white bathroom connected to her quarters. Gear turned the nob to the tub and started watched as the tub filled with water and the room filled with soothing steam. Tossing her goggles and vest out into the main room, she closed the door to allow herself some sweet solace from the world around her. Entering the warm, bubbling waters, she let her body sink in muzzle deep. Thoughts came and went as she gently scrubbed herself with a brush she was levitating.

Oh, how things have changed.

Little filly from Stalliongrad, way out of her league in the Canterlot's Magical Engineering University.

Roaming failure who quit and set up shot in Manehattan.

Perseverance and quality work can put even a failure in the lime light.

Through word of mouth my skill traveled to even the Canterlot elite.

Drop out turned Technomage, employed directly by the princesses of the nation.

Her impractical, impossible ideas made real.

Soon to be asset to national security.

Oh, how things have changed.

GearShift pulled the cork out of the bottom of the tub. Using her telekinesis, she grabbed a towel from the rack and started to dry herself off. She tossed the towel to the side and trotted over to her wardrobe. Gear was neither a high maintainance mare nor a sophistcated mare, so her closet had an amazing lack of frilly or fru-fru garments. In her opinion they were fire hazards and impractical for nearly every situation. They served but one singular purpose and that was looking pretty, and if their was one thing Gearshift disliked it was impracticality and single use items. After searching for all of thirty seconds she found the closest things to formal wear that she owned.

She pulled out a black leather vest with gold embroidery and two pair of gold boots with black rims. Gear stepped into her tight boots and used her magic to put the vest on and zip it up. She floated her MVGs (multiple view goggles) on to her neck and declared her outfit complete. Stepping up to the bedroom mirror, she saw that her mane had fallen back into its natural style: hot pink on the left, jet black on the right. The Pink and black mixed in her tail like a strawberry and liquorice candy cane.

The natural color of her mane and tail complemented her light SALMON (for the love of Luna if you call her pink she will end you) coat perfectly. With nothing better to do, she decided that she would take a nap before look through some books before dinner, just some light reading. Maybe that book on the breakdown of atoms and recombination of atomic nuclei with magical energy?

Crack!

The thin, dry, and oh so satisfying snap of Daring Do's famous whip echoed sharply through the otherwise empty chamber. It was a small room in a secluded corner of Canterlot Castle, where Daring had often retired to for solitude, which she had found to be good in helping her prepare for upcoming adventures. Back when she had them, of course. Not like it had helped that very last time, really. Daring clenched her teeth slightly, instinctively; then with a sigh she relaxed her mouth and the whip fell with a pathetic clatter to the ground. Daring considered it with a weary eye. For whatever reason, she had never brought it along during her last adventure. She couldn't shake the feeling that things might have gone differently if she had the whip with her, as dumb and illogical as that thought was. She looked out the sole window in the mostly bare room, and saw that the sun was beginning to fade away. Dinner would be soon.

Daring reverently picked up the dropped whip and bent her head at a somewhat awkward angle to put it into the front of her dress. This dress was a real doozy, it had a full bodice and cape piece both in a forest green that was simple but complimented her coat tones well. The bodice wrapped around her forelegs but did not form sleeves, which kept them from limiting her movement. That and the inner pocket which hid her whip behind strategically placed ruffles and gathering made this her most combat ready dress. The dress had even seen combat once, a long time ago during one of her earlier adventures, which had involved a rich pony party and political intrigue. That one had been a nightmare, and Daring had come close to death several times, once from nearly being drowned in a punch bowl...

"... I'm too old for this, aren't I?" Daring almost felt like she was infirm and rickety, even though she was still pretty young by most standards. "I am going to regret ever agreeing..." Daring said so more to comfort and assure herself than to actually express any regret. Did she have her doubts? A million times over, and if she had the time to list them all she'd still be around when even Celestia was old and her sun faded away. But Daring Do, the young and awesome Daring Do, had no time to list those doubts. For now, older Daring just contented herself by listing one:

"This dress is too small for me now." Kind of true, Daring had put on some weight since she had last worn this getup. But this dress and her went way back- it had shared more experiences with her than she had with her parents- so for nostalgia's sake she chose it. With little better to do while waiting for dinner, Daring took to wandering the castle once more. Perhaps she'd meet somepony.

A few hours later, the castle began to buzz with excitement. Not only was Princess Celestia having dinner with those who were going to infiltrate the Forerunners, but she was also hosting a party open to ponies of all kinds, a rare event in which both nobles and regular ponies could come together and treat each other like equals. With the servants rushing around the palace, preparing it for the massive influx of guests, with Princess Celestia awaiting in the dining chamber for the others.

The room was filled with colorful tapestries and spectacular chandeliers strung up on the ceiling, the table being made from dark mahogany and artistically carved. The chairs around the table were made out of the same material, designed for comfort and relaxation, supported with cushions of fine red silk. Celestia was busy talking with a Royal Librarian quietly, giving a few orders to her.

"...your Highness, the book you requested has been discovered in the back of the library, with the other Pre-Equestrian scriptures." The librarian pronounced, handing the bondaged book over to the princess.

"Excellent, just what I needed. Thank you, Scribble." Celestia replied, accepting the book gingerly. Placing it down on the table, she dismissed Scribble, who bowed and went on her way. It was almost time for her guests to arrive for dinner, and so she sent a few servants to contact them and to bring them in. Sitting down, she thought out loud to herself, her eyes narrowed in contemplation.

"Gearshift...Mjolna...Chapeau...and Daring Do. Quite the interesting collection...but desperate times call for desperate measures, it seems."