The Voyage of the Polar Star--OOC

Trilobite

Saying that the RP would die is a bit extreme considering the fact that I still check these threads every single day. I just haven't had the time to write a quality post. I had the idea a long time ago, but no way to sit down and put it into words. I haven't gone anywhere, just been extremely busy, and it doesn't happen all that often. This is just an extremely busy month for my work. So I'm sorry I haven't had the chance to post. I really am.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No probs. I don't think we're in any danger, and I think our mutual friend was just spitballing an idea "just in case" rather than because of an immediate matter. That's all what needs to be said about that.

Okay, things are looking good! One of the things I love about GMing is the fact that you never know how players will handle something. Looking forward to seeing the decision and approach on this trap!

Sorry. Just being paranoid...but a side note...I will be away several days at the start of November..1-4..So my posting will either be very slow..Or not at all.

As for the RP..Should I post. Or should I wait for your (Trlobite)'s post next?

hi hi

I would just like to point out, for the record, that pushing a stone while it is moving is going to take less energy than stopping one of them completely. Momentum is conserved, so it doesn't matter whether or not the stone is already moving, adding energy along a different axis won't be influenced by its current motion. The whole point of pushing them while in motion was because Pocket Change said his magic wasn't strong enough to hold one in place.

Pendulums have the nifty feature where they always take the same amount of time to make one swing, for a given length of chain, no matter how far they have to go.

You gotta remember something, Ginger, myself, nor Emerath, are neither one of us physics experts. Emerath is using his limited knowledge to think of a plan, and one of which probably isn't the best. So you're gonna want to tell Emerath that his plan sucks. Honestly, Emerath would probably be able to see the timing of when they could jump through, given his expertise in timing and such. But Pocket and Ember got the ball rolling in a different direction. As a player I would love to bring up the idea, but as a character, Emerath isn't one to change direction like that.

I play a lot of tabletop pen and paper rpgs, so to me it feels like cheating to use player knowledge when the character doesn't know or wouldn't do that.

And never am I or Pocket...Still, he did go to college and he has to use physics in his daily job as an archaeologist, especially during excavations...He need to know how to dig or cut or whatever and make sure he doesn't damage certain areas..Or cause cave ins...Still, while Pocket may have a bit of the Canterlot snugness and there will be times he can be a bit of a jerk, still he probably won't be the type to insult a pony when he or she is trying to help..He might had suggestions, and there's always a chance someone's guess or plan can be the building block of a clever idea..or plan...Still, at the moment Pocket is not at the top of his game cause....A. He's still creeped out by the idea of those horrible monsters lurking in the darkness...And B..those swinging rocks are kind of scary...And the noise they must be making....Eep.

hi hi

I suspect I may have come off as a little bit rude, and if so, I apologize. The reason why I mentioned it out of character instead of in character is because Ember Spark isn't the kind of pony who would object. In part because she's nice, but mostly because it really is a good plan, it doesn't suck, as long as you all are strong enough to stop one of the pendulums. Depending on what Pocket Change says, I've got a list of backup plans, each gradually more dangerous and rube-goldberg-esque than the last that she's ready to suggest if need be. :)

(Also: For all we know, the way forward is at the bottom of the pit, not on the other side of the trap.)

I apologize Ginger. You weren't being rude. I'm just a bit stressed out so I took that a bit worse than I should have. I'm feeling a lot better lately, now that things at work have calmed down a bit.

But you know, Trilo, having played so many pen and paper games, I've learned quite well when the GM is trying to urge characters forward. Thankfully Emerath got the message too. ;P

I hate to be a nitpicker, but I did say the gap was 15 seconds to jump, and it happened every 30 seconds. :3 Just sayin.

Anyway, could you please edit the post to reflect that Emerath at least called for Pocket to jump. It'll make my post a bit easier. Since I'm pretty sure Emerath is the only one that can see where the gap is in the pendulums. You don't need me to post just to have him call it out, so I'm giving you freedom to control my character for a moment to say he called out when you should jump. ^^

And on this same thread of logic, Ginger, I'm giving you the same freedom when you post. Provided Ember Spark actually decides to jump. I don't want to assume with Ember Spark. :P And then once they're across, Emerath will go last.

That's fine. I'll be more than happy to edit my post..I was really in a rush when I did it...And it turned out :razz:

Edited it..Also made it where Emerath would have also told him when to start running as well.

hi hi

As it turns out, Ember Spark isn't going to try to jump across to the other side, though her plan does involve some jumping. As much as she'd like to help the griffins out by finding their ancient armor, she is more interested in making sure everyone gets back out again safely.

Edit: Aaand, ker-post!

I'm pretty sure Ember Spark has sent Emerath over the edge. I don't think I've ever written him freaking out like that, in his many incarnations in various RPs. Although to be fair, he's never been friends with someone as unpredictable as Ember Spark. So there's that. Although things have definitely taken a turn for the interesting. I wonder what our GM will have to say about this reckless behavior. lol

hi hi

As far as Ember Spark is concerned, the only reckless one here is Pocket Change. :blah:

Though admittedly, she hasn't had time to sit down and explain her reasoning in a calm and rational manner, her judgement is pretty simple. From her perspective, she's trying to save Pocket Change's life.

• If there is another way into the tunnels, the safe thing would be to back out and find it.

• If there is not another way into the tunnels, even if everyone makes it across, once the ceiling collapses, there is no way out. End of story.

Thankfully, she has some experience in climbing, especially after spending so much time climbing up and down the Polar Star's balloon. :)

Since a ton of stuff is going on, I'm going to wait for Trilobite to post something in response/update...if Ember Spark is in danger, which is looks like she is...Pocket would snatch her up with his telekinesis (if he can that is...)

I'm fairly certain you have far too little faith in our GM. He's already said that he wouldn't put us in any situations that would kill our characters (for obvious reasons). And being trapped in a dungeon would most assuredly kill them, even if it's a slow death.

But I can understand your character's logic, which is why I haven't objected.

I, the GM, may be working to keep this a ponies-type story, but the ponies in those stories have certainly felt real danger--and Ember Spark is in very real danger right now! I love the tension which you, as players, have generated here through the actions of your characters.

Okay, here's the skinny. Ember Spark, you can totally fix this thing. Well, not fix it, but you can see a relatively quick and simple thing you can do to shut off the mechanism, which will stop the hallways from collapsing.

But you other two can see that that chain is going to slip at any moment. If something isn't done right now Ember Spark is going to fall into what looks like a bottomless pit.

Often players in these situations ask me how much they can talk. If you're planning on it, I'd say there's time for one short, simple sentance before action must be taken.

Go!