The Voyage of the Polar Star

Trilobite

hi hi

gallery_82_11_113088.png

The Elements of Harmony... I know I've heard of those somewhere before.

Ember Spark had nodded politely and settled into a spot at the table near Emerath and Pocket Change, at the Queen's insistence, or at least she assumed the old Griffin in resplendent dress was the queen, even though she didn't remember that she had ever introducing herself. Her mind was too busy mulling over what Emerath had said to consider whether or not she was properly addressing the proper griffin. Still, the griffin spoke with authority and kindness, and the food did smell good. The parts of the feast that were not made out of meat anyway.

Even though she had recently eaten lunch, Ember Spark didn't want to insult anygriffin, and there were plenty of dishes spread out in front of her that she couldn't remember ever trying before. Leaving a dish un-sampled simply would not do. The butter cooked carrots were excellent, though not terribly unusual. The pickled pears were quite a treat. She decided to hold off on the raspberry and blueberry tarts until desert, though they looked and smelled incredibly tempting. Instead she found that her favorite part of the meal was the warm oat bread with a peculiar kind of hard cheese she couldn't quite identify, dipped in an onion flavored broth that was both sweet and savory.

She made a mental note to try to find a recipe book before they left, and she also made a note of how odd it seemed that Commander Gale wasn't present for the feast. In her heart, it just didn't seem right for the griffin who invited them to eat to not have a chance to partake or get a chance to talk, and Ember Spark did have things she wanted to talk about. However, the thought that remained foremost on her mind was what Emerath had said earlier, and once she had eaten enough to not appear ungrateful, she leaned over to ask him about it.

"So, Emerath. What did you mean when you declared that the Elements of Harmony defeated Nightmare Moon? I haven't heard anything substantial about that night, only unverified rumors. I know they exist. When I was studying in Canterlot, I think I read a little bit about them. They were jewels or rocks or something that the Princesses found? Oh, and I think there was one study that suggested there are so many different kinds of magic related to them that most scholars tend to take them for granted. I think, um... Lets see, what were they again? Kindness and Honesty and... Light? no, thats not correct... something about good humor perhaps?"

Ember Spark was certain she'd be able to remember if she wasn't so tired, but curiosity wasn't about to wait for sleep in order to find out more. Giving Emerath a chance to respond, Ember Spark paused to take a drink of a sweet honey flavored drink.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy to see that they were not going to be dragged to the nearest dungeon or simply tossed out onto their flanks for such insolence, the unicorn sighed in relief. Had he only known that there were actual real living guardians here, as opposed to the typical stoic statues of armored ponies or griffons, the stallion wished he could have had time to break out in a little discussion group on how to talk to royalty before all this had happened, but for now, they'll just have to play it all by ear. "Thank you your highness.", Pocket glanced around at the food that surrounded him, "So much to choose from. My compliments to the chef." The unicorn quickly scanned the food that was nearest to him, and decided on a bowl of the 'Rutabaga-Fennel Gratin'.

As he helped himself to the appetizer, he replied to Ember Spark's question, "Er, the first two are correct, but the others are magic, loyalty, generosity and I'm not sure about the last one, but I had read many years ago that our two Princess used them...I believe the gems were embedded in their armor and they used these magical MacGuffins to defeat Discord and a few other dark fellows that dared challenge them. Their current champions each wield a single element. But enough about pony history. What about your people?", he glanced over at the queen, "This tower is just amazing. I have never ceased to be amazed at the incredible buildings the griffons have built over the years. Strong, beautiful and timeless, much like the builders themselves. So, if I may be so bold to ask, what can you tell me about your people? I have read that your ancestors had nobly stayed behind here to watch over the lands and keep watch for the sleeper from the north. And ofcourse I was pretty curious to know what this 'sleeper' was..", the pony smiled warmly at the griffon's ruler, hoping he wasn't being too bold or familiar.

“Impressed I am that you know of this, First Mate Pocket Change of the Polar Star,” The Queen said warmly.

“Yes Your Highness," Cleverboots said. "Pocket Change is also our archaeologist. He's quite broadly read, and his experience in the field helps keep historians like myself grounded.”

“I see,” continued the Queen. “Well it is that your scholars should be able as your engineer and pilot are.

“Many the dangers of the outlands are, and ancient is our duty against them to guard. Born to these lands we were, and here since the dawn of time have we lived. In times long past, we the fiercest of all warriors were. Against the proud griffons of the high lands, none could stand!” Katabat looks off into the distance, a smile curving her beak, her eyes focused on the time of legends.

“But with wisdom must fierceness be tempered. Without this, into chaos we fell. Dark those days were, and cold. The wisest among us a Council formed, and to the griffons, unity and peace they brought. In the desert our new world was to be forged.

“But beyond the peaceful settled lands many dangers lurk. Shapechangers. Dream-eaters. Wicked beings of dark power. Against these threats a chain of fortresses was built. The strongest of griffonkind behind remained, the fortresses to man and eternal watch to keep.

“Many fortresses there were, and the bravest creatures of all lands in them did reside. Griffons, of course, but ponies, pertyon, deer, and many others did this duty undertake.

“Long ago that was. Changed, the world has. Where once there were many, only Stormfast now stands. Where once all brave creatures stood, the griffons only remain. Forgotten we are, but our duty we will always remember.”

Emerath found his nervousness spiking up once more as he sat so very close to the queen. He had lagged behind again as everyone took their seats, with Emerath being the last to do so, sitting as far away from the queen as possible, on the other side of Ember from the queen. He stared at the banquet in front of him, and it was only now that he realized just how hungry he was. Everything was freshly cooked and looked to be hand picked. He quickly scooped a plateful of items onto his plate and began to eat with reckless abandon. It flashed through his mind briefly that it had to have been at least a day or two since he'd had more than a snack brought to him by Cleverboots or one of his other shipmates who realized that he hadn't eaten anything during his piloting. He really was far too focused on his work far too much of the time.

But he could rest now. He could rest and eat, and enjoy the company of his fellows and the griffons who had been so kind to them. He enjoyed a nice onion and potato soup followed by some wonderfully warm rye bread with a strawberry spread. He noticed that Ember was holding off on some of the blueberry and raspberry tarts, so he took the opportunity to grab some himself and savored their sweetness. A thought crossed his mind as he ate, and it was that they couldn't have known that the ponies were coming. There was no way for them to have prepared this in the time of sighting the ship, especially not knowing of the ponies were friendly or not. They must cook like this every day! This place must be absolutely rich in food! The thought of eating like this every day made his mouth water even more, and he satisfied it with some lovely looking apples and pears. They were different from the fruits back in Canterlot, but just as delectable.

While he ate, Ember turned to him and asked him about the Elements of Harmony. He knew about it from when he got a visit from Princess Luna one night at the theater. She had come, wanting to watch rehearsal, and being the pony of the night that she is, didn't realize that all the actors and actresses were asleep. Emerath, unsure of approaching the princess, knowing the legends surrounding her, had yelled down from his study, startling the princess. She shouted back at him with the Voice and they stared at each other in a bit of a standoff. Finally Emerath had gone down to her after what seemed like an eternity of staring at each other, and he talked to her in the same tone he had with Princess Celestia on other occasions, explaining the situation. Princess Luna apologized for the intrusion, but before she could leave, Emerath asked her about what happened to her in the legends, what with the Princess standing in front of him in the flesh, and them being alone in the theater. He was afraid he was being too forward with her, but she just smiled and answered his question politely, explaining the story of the Elements of Harmony and of Twilight Sparkle and her friends. Emerath thanked her and she left. She was back at the next performance (which always happen in the evenings, perfect for Princess Luna), and he was happy to see her taking part in the society of Canterlot.

His brief flashback into times past had brought a smile to his face, and he had never actually answered Ember's question, instead munching on his apple and staring off into space. Ember seemed to have lost interest in waiting for him to answer (which Emerath probably wasn't going to do at the moment) having been answered by Pocket, and now all attention, except Emerath's, was on the queen and her discussion of times long past and of the fortresses. This discussion of the past floated into Emerath's ears and he perked up and blinked back to reality, now joining the others with his attention to the queen.

As she spoke, he attempted to remember stories he had read, or legends he had heard, possibly even plays related to the stories she was telling her fellows, and possibly pull out some more information about the past from the fragments of his memories in regards to the things he had read. If these griffons were as old as the queen says, surely there was some sort of legend or history about them. Maybe a map of the fortresses, and the surrounding areas that might give them clues as to where to go next... if only Emerath could remember.

((OOC: If you'd like, Emerath would be doing a Logic check here. If a roll isn't necessary, then I'll just have him "remember" some details you can give me about the griffons or the fortresses in PM or the OOC thread. Or, if there are in fact no legends or stories he could've read or heard, then by all means say so and he just won't remember anything. If that's alright with you, of course, Trilo. ^^))

hi hi

gallery_82_11_113088.png

Ember Spark quickly shoved a tart into her mouth in an effort to mask her expression, because for a moment her mood had turned as sour as the cherry filling she was eating. Of course, there was plenty of sugar added to the mix too, so the overall effect good. It was perhaps coincidence that by the time she finished chewing, everything made sense again.

Its a secret! Of course. Its no wonder Emerath isn't saying anything. And Pocket Change... he's deftly driving the discourse in different directions. Well burn my boiler, I'd better be careful not to ruin a surprise for anyone.

Unlike Emerath though, Ember Spark was not an actor. And while she might have passed as a stagehoof, she tended to lack subtlety. She was instead a driving hammer. She could tell a story, and on occasion even sing a song, but pretending not to know something she didn't actually know was beyond her ability to perform. And so while badly feigned, it was with no amount of subtlety that she tried to avoid the topic.

"SooOOooo..." she started out in an attempt at nonchalance, "Great distances your flight must travel, when the fallen strongholds you patrol.

Thankfully, Ember Spark quickly found herself becoming genuinely interested in the conversation again. "Much there is about the route to us you could teach. A pity it is, that none yet have been reclaimed, and that with no others your tales can be shared." The gears in her head were turning and she started to pick up steam. Standing up on all fours and holding her head up tall, which was not considerably tall compared to her pony companions, let alone the gracious griffins. "Letters and news at least, to exchange someone ought. After all, a little hardship isn't friendship worth? If for nothing else than the food you bake, some ship there must be that would berth make. Perhaps, when finished our task is, back with us some correspondence we could take?"

With a fire still burning in Ember Spark's eye, she plopped her rump back down and leaned over to Pocket Change, whispering not too softly. "Well, I think it'd be worthwhile... Besides, for a three week journey, a lighter ship could stay on top of those hailstorms much easier than the Polar Star."

Pocket's stomach sunk a little as the queen mentioned 'shapechangers'. He knew she had to mean the changelings. He had encountered those grotesque little beasties during the whole wedding between Captain Shining Armor and Princess Mi Amore Cadenza not that long ago. Normally, he would have cared less about some wedding between nobility, but he could never turn down the offer of free food, free drink and a the chance to hobnob with some of Canterlot's elite! He also did hear that Princess Celestia's Champions would be attending and he had a bit of a crush on the rainbow-tailed member of her group of heroes. The unicorn had been attending the pre-wedding celebration in the gardens when he noticed the dark clouds that had been lingering over the protective barrier were not in fact clouds, but horrible, nasty little monsters that were trying to break through. He only managed to get one more sip of tea before the barrier shattered and a rather old piece of cobblestone that had been minding its own business for a quarter of a century had been separated from its place on the street and was sent hurdling into the pony’s forehead after several of the changelings landed nearby. He had awoken an hour later with a dried piece of Battenberg hanging from his horn and the sudden desire to quickly make his way to the hospital. Thankfully, he only received a few bumps and bruises from the whole incident and was able to attend the reception.

He would have loved to be the one to have joined the fight against the changelings,which he would have then spent the rest of his days bragging about, but he knew in his heart he wouldn’t have been much of a use. The university outright refused to teach combat spells, especially during peacetime, and if he had any desire to learn how to summon magic missiles or great fireballs, he would have had to either join the Royal Equestrian Army (He lacked the desire to do so), or would have been clever enough to have attended Princess Celestia’s school for gifted unicorns (Which he was not). He was also not very good at the art of the ol’hooveicuffs, and for awhile was known as the colt who had been beaten up by another colt who was in crutches (It was not his finest hour).

“I swear to you your Highness, I Pocket Horatio Magellan Change, will speak of you and your people's heroic sacrifice and never ending duty to protect the rest of the world from this darkness, once we return to Canterlot, so you will be forgotten no more.", he stated as dramatically and as honorably as he could with a bow of his head. He noticed his companions were busying themselves with the tarts. He liked blueberry, but he did not like how they stained his teeth, so it would be a 'mixed berry and Mascarpone tart' for him. Food aside for a moment, he wanted to learn more about the griffons and their history, especially on the horrors that were laid out before them right outside the protective tower. "Considering the absolutely wonderful welcoming you and your people have given us, and this blessed meal, I do hate to impose on you once more, but would it be possible if I could explore your library a bit? Later on, once everything has settled down a bit?". While the unicorn had opted out of learning the griffon's language so he could spend extra time with his beloved Sun Catcher in 'home economics' class while attending the university, he could use a simple cantrip to give himself the ability to read their tomes. He smiled gracefully at the griffon's royal monarch, hoping she would permit him to peruse their history books.

With a fire still burning in Ember Spark's eye, she plopped her rump back down and leaned over to Pocket Change, whispering not too softly. "Well, I think it'd be worthwhile... Besides, for a three week journey, a lighter ship could stay on top of those hailstorms much easier than the Polar Star."

(This happens after the queens' response to Pocket Change's question.)

"Move out of the Polar Star? Why would we want to do that?", he frowned at the mare as he whispered, "I've finally figured out how to make the water in the showers go the right temperature, and I've worn a comparable groove into my bed's mattress..And then I'd have to move out all of my stuff, and I got them all in just right spots. And if it's a smaller ship, then the sleeping quarters will be smaller, and I'd probably have to share my room with others beyond the ponies I'm already sharing my room with..And maybe sleep on a cot. That's like one step above sleeping in a cardboard box.", he looked a bit on the weepy side, "Would you want me to sleep in a cardboard box?" His lips started to tremble.

As Pocket Change and Ember Spark whispered, the noise in the feasting hall redoubled. The rest of the Polar Star's crew entered, flanked by Iceguard and looking around in various degrees of stunned wonderment. They were greeted pell-mell by various griffons, who also competed to get this or that pony to sit next to them so they could speak with the new arrivals or shove a particularly favored treat at the guests. The choir and musicians increased their volume and temper, which caused everyone to talk more loudly, setting off an arms race into which the serving griffons joined. It was chaos, and the Queen paused in the conversation she and Cleverboots were having--something about their course, and maps, and Ember Spark's and Pocket Change's proposals--to smile fondly at the hectic activity and din.

She rose from her chair, and the conversation in the room trailed off. "Ponyfolk, to Stormfast you are welcome. Long it has been since our halls with the sounds of a true feast rang. Katabat I am, and of this place I am Queen. Here for nothing you shall want, so long as in our power to deliver it is. Among the griffons of Stormfast, a gift a guest is, and with guests to share the greatest joy is. So eat you must, and drink, nigh until you burst!" She smiles at this, and a ripple of laughter spreads through the gathered crew and griffons. Out of nowhere, stewards seem to appear, filling dozens of giant goblets with a wonderful-smelling warm drink. The Queen raised her own, which was emblazoned with an enormous griffon, shielding ponies and deer and all manner of other creatures with her wings.

"To the fine ship Polar Star!" She downed a huge gulp, and the griffons give a thunderous huzzah and follow suit. "To his bold captain and his daring crew!" The same thing happens after each proclomation. "To the fates who have us this day together brought! To friendship!"

The griffons gwent wild, and many of the crew were swept along with them. The music started up again, louder than ever before, and some ponies were dragged from their chairs for complex whirling dances that mostly involved the griffons holding their partner's forehooves and swinging them about bodily. The Queen laughed, and sat back down. She seemed radiant.

"Captain Cleverboots, my friends," she said, nodding to each of the officers in turn. "Much to discuss there is. The library would an appropriate place be, I think, if you would to me the honor of accompanying me give."

As Emerath listened to the queen respond to Pocket, he did in fact remember a play, and a very old one that the theater had performed when he was a young colt. But thinking too much about it, would have to wait, as Ember next to him jumped up in excitement and startled Emerath, nearly making him fall out of his seat in surprise. She was saying something about a lighter ship taking food and letters and correspondence between the griffons and ponyfolk. That was all well and fine, but Emerath decided he wouldn't be the one to make such trips. He already wanted to go home, despite that the fires of adventure now raged in his heart. It was a dilemma to be sure, and one Emerath still didn't know how to satisfy, but like most other things on his mind, it would have to wait.

Suddenly, the rest of the crew filed into the hall, and it was now that Emerath realized just how large the crew of the Polar Star was. It made sense, for them to have had such a large ship run, they needed a large crew, but as an officer of the ship, it was odd for him to not know every pony on board. He didn't think he even looked at numbers of the crew's total when he was taking inventory. Nonetheless, the group was jovial and sat down with the griffins, and the queen gave an absolutely wonderful speech upon their arrival. As the stewards arrived and brought the drink, out of politeness, he drank with the Queen, at first taking a sip of the drink. It was like, just by a sip, someone had blown fire into his veins, warming his entire body, which was still somewhat frozen from the icy cold outside. And it was tasty to boot! As the Queen took the next two drinks, Emerath found himself gulping it down himself, and then gulping the rest when the Queen was finished. He felt positively glowing from the warmth the drink provided, and smiled as he put it down, and smiled as he looked at the rest of the crew and griffons dancing and happily eating their food.

Unfortunately, his satisfaction wasn't to last, as the Queen turned to them after her rousing speech, saying she wanted to go to the library. While Emerath didn't really want to get up, he wasn't wholly against this idea, seeing as the library was one of his favorite places to be, and the griffons had to have an amazing host of knew knowledge for Emerath to explore. Realizing, however, that he was about to leave this wonderful banquet, he grabbed another tart and shoved it in his mouth, savoring the sweetness, and then grabbed a pear and shoved it into his jacket pockets for future consumption. And with that, as he finished chewing the tart and swallowing, he stood and prepared to follow the queen and the rest of his fellow officers to the library.

He realized now, that his nervousness had subsided, and while this could have been due to the warmth of the drink and the atmosphere around them, he was sure it was mostly because the Queen had called them friends. The Princesses of Canterlot, despite his occasional run ins with them, had never called him a friend, and to think that he was a friend to royalty made Emerath's heart swell with a bit of pride. Friends were kind, and trusting, and would never throw someone in a dungeon. Emerath had no reason to be nervous anymore. And with that, he smiled and happily followed the others as they moved to the library.

hi hi

gallery_82_11_113088.png

Ember Spark raised an eyebrow as she tried to figure out just what it was that Pocket Change was talking about. Sleeping in a cardboard box? Why, making a cardboard box fort was certainly fun once upon a time...

Ember Spark gave him a playful little shove with one hoof and smiled, "What, you've never slept in a cardboard box before? You're really missing out, they're a great way to hide from chores and are totally impervious to the monsters that live under your bed." She tapped the tip of her nose with her forehoof just to be sure the befuddled unicorn knew she was joking, "Seriously though, I didn't mean to imply us specifically, and you don't strike me as a delivery pony. If you were inclined to delivering mail though, I meant a lighter ship, not necessarily a smaller one. We must have half a lifetime's worth of supplies and specialized surveying equipment aboard, and hypothetically speaking, if our destination had been Stormfast, we could have thrown out most of that junk and she'd be much shallower on the draft, no?"

When Queen Katabat offered a toast, Ember Spark followed suite and downed her own goblet as fast as possible, though being a much smaller creature, she wasn't able to do so in a single gulp. She had no idea what it was she just drank, she wasn't really even sure how to describe what it tasted like. She just knew she was already way too full and that it probably would have tasted better if that hadn't been the case.

The sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach didn't stop her from getting up and slipping into the crowd once everyone started dancing. Not knowing the lyrics to the music didn't stop her from singing along, though with the volume in the room, hardly anyone would have been able to tell. Likewise, not knowing the dance moves didn't stop her from picking out a griffin at random and pulling them into the dance. She just improvised a Fox Trot with a bit of Quickstep thrown into the mix, taking advantage of her lighter frame for some fancy hoofwork. Not that her hoofwork was particularly fancy by anypony's standards, but it was an improvised dance, and no griffin would have known any better anyway.

While she was leading her partner around in a spin, she couldn't help but notice the rest of her party getting up and making their way towards the exit. With a merry laugh, she slowed to a stop and bowed, "For the dance, my thanks you have. But to run I am required."

Ember Spark had a spring or three in her step as she joined in with the procession to the library, cheering Salt Spray on as she walked past the poor deckhoof who was being twirled around by the hooves. "Way to go Salt Spray, show them how its done!"

The group of ponies and griffins made their way out of the feast hall, though the atmosphere of merriment reverberated through the massive doors, echoed down the stone hallways, and was carried along by Ember Spark's jaunty humming. When she noticed Emerath following behind the group again, she subtly slowed her pace until she had brought herself up along side the unicorn.

She knew he was good at timing, and a little bit of sweat formed on her brow as she endeavored to get the timing just perfect. Waiting for the moment when it seemed like Emerath wasn't paying attention, to speak up she said, "Heya! I could not help but observe you aiming for a subsequent entrance again and I'm curious if the thought I requested that you put on hold is still there. If not, I understand. I wouldn't want to press you into a particularly problematic position. But if you do happen to have any advice on how to arrive at the proper moment, even when you don't know the route to your destination, I would be much obliged." Before Emerath could even consider responding though, Ember Spark lowered her voice and leaned closer, "Or are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"You're asking me if I ever slept in a cardboard box before?", the unicorn let out a chuckle before taking a sip from his goblet, "I'm a Canterlot pony though and through. My parents did buy me a scale replica of 'Gomwekmar Keep' from the 'Ancient Tomes Of The Forbidden Eldtiaeldrodsam' series of fantasy books when I was a little pony. Even had it's own dungeon.", he added while he finished off his drink,"It's still there in the backyard. A family of raccoons currently live there. Maybe I should have my sister make them proper costumes.". He quickly placed his goblet down to join in the series of 'huzzahs' and with the others in dance. He was surprised when the young mare quickly downed her own beverage before joining into the festivities and he silently prayed that she was drinking the same ice wine he had been tasting, as opposed to the Cahors that some of the large male griffons were downing. Seeing that Ember Spark was able to get up from her chair without falling flat on her snout, he knew what she had drank.

As the group broke away from the dance, Pocket Change followed the others. He noticed Sky Walker was dancing alongside a rather pretty young griffon, and while he intended on dragging the younger stallion along with him, he wisely decided against it. The poor guy was rather miserable during the trip, and he could at least afford to have a bit of fun while he was here. He knew his old friend would find him in the library once things settled down. As he followed the others, he noticed Ember Spark and Emerath were falling quickly behind. He sighed and walked over to the two, "Why are you taking so long? This library alone is going to be one heck of a find! I could only imagine the books we're going to find. Lost tomes and novels that no pony has seen in like forever! I'm just giddy in anticipation! I bet they even have the infamous unedited version of 'Lady Canterley's Lover'.", he smiled broadly before quickly adding, "Not like I would read such a thing.", he trailed off as he followed the others along the way.

Emerath was positively glowing as he sauntered down the hallways with his fellow officers and captain. His thoughts swirled around in his head although none of them seemed to be properly registering at the moment. Possibly too late, he realized why that drink made him feel so very warm. He chuckled at himself as he nearly tripped over his own hoof, and was a bit surprised to see Ember jovially come up next to him with a spring in her step. He blinked at her, confused, before realizing who she was and smiling warmly at the company.

She began to talk to him about something she had talked to him about before. Something about holding thoughts. Could someone hold thoughts? Perhaps Emerath should explore that someday. Holding thoughts, that is. Like, physically. He chuckled again, and listened to the rest of her statement, followed by her leaning close and asking him if he was thinking what she was. He smiled and leaned towards her, whispering conspiratorially, "Well, I could be, but that would ruin the surprise." He chuckled again, and continued, "And to answer about the arriving at the proper moment, it's all about planning. You have to plan, even if you don't know exactly where you're going. If you don't know, plan who you're gonna follow. And then make sure that they know to get there on time." He smiled and thought for a moment, trying to shorten his growing statement. "Essentially, like now, for example, as long as Cleverboots and the Queen are on time, we'll be on time, no matter where they take us."

As Pocket came over, Emerath realized how close Ember and himself had gotten in their conspiratorial conversations and scooted over with a light blush, nearly tripping over his own hooves again, although this time in a brief bit of nervousness. He looked at Pocket as he spoke, and really, the only thing out of all that he had said that stuck in Emerath's mind was, "Why are you taking so long?" At this, Emerath's mind flared up and he looked at Pocket with wide eyes and suddenly spurted, "Oh no, are we late?!" Before realizing that they hadn't fallen all that far behind the Captain and the Queen, and he instantly regretted his outburst, this time blushing for an altogether different reason. He put a foreleg over his eyes and groaned in embarrassment, before removing it so that he could continue walking, keeping his head down however, and hoping nobody got mad at him for noticeably worrying about nothing.

hi hi

gallery_82_11_113088.png

Ember Spark nodded sagely as Emerath talked, and after saying more than a couple of sentences, Ember Spark reached into her tool belt and pulled out a pad of paper. It was an awkward little trot she had to make on only three legs, and her penponyship was atrocious, but she was determined to take down notes on what Emerath was saying. And just as difficult as it was to walk holding a pencil and a pad of paper, it was equally so for an Earth Pony to talk while holding a writing implement as well.

"Inferesfing... stho ousthide of the sthpethific thiming, thereths a theneral thimeframe basthed on the persthepthion of otherths?"

When Pocket Change walked up to them, trying to get them to hurry along, she responded by returning her attention to her pad of paper and writing down other notes in the margins. Emerath's little outburst immortalized in a hoofnote.

Increased sample size indicates that there may be additional schools of thought on the subject of relative arrival positioning in time and space. Make sure to cross reference this and observe in further detail. Research subject displays some uncertainty.

Only after Ember Spark had finished her notes and returned her writing tools to their rightful homes on her belt, and after taking a long hard look at Captain Cleverboots did she turn her attention to Pocket Change.

Casting a glance towards the excited unicorn, she pondered aloud. "I wonder just how much reading we will be allowed. I enjoy a good book as much as anypony, but if our gracious host's feast is any indication, there will undoubtedly be a significant volume of text to read. And, while this is just a hypothesis, I suspect that Cleverboots does not intend to stay put much longer than necessary. Does the promise of discovery not propel her, and by extension us as well, forward? As Emerath just pointed out, once the pony we are following knows where she is going, will we not be going when and where ever she deems to take us?"

The sounds of the party could still be heard from down the long stone corridor, and the smells of cooking and baking came up through the decorated floorstones. It was cool in the hall, and despite the thickness of the stone walls and the ancient tapestries showing generations of important griffons and scenes from life in Stormfast through the ages, the storm could be heard howling outside.

The group approached a large double door above which a portcullis hung. The Iceguard accompanying the queen rushed ahead and pulled the doors open, letting a spill of golden light and fireside warmth into the cold stone hall. A smallish male griffon in a waistcoat and elaborate doublet with ruffled collars up around his neck waited for them just inside. He inspected the ponies haughtily through his monocle, then bowed deeply to the Queen as she entered. "Welcome, my Queen. All your daughter requested, prepared for your guests is," he said, in a high, reedy voice. He looked up from his bow, watching the ponies with clear mistrutst. He fixed Pocket Change with a particular glare for some reason.

"Our thanks, Bartleby. Friends, to the Stormfast archives, you are welcome."

The group found themselves on a sort of landing or large balcony inside an enormous cylindrical room. The platform was lit by crystals hung from curving posts, the heads of which depicted various norther birds holding baskets in their beaks. The soft illumination of the crystals was supplemented by a freestanding fireplace, the odd design of which resembled nothing so much as a strange organ or calliope. Ember Spark saw after a moment that the fire was a reflection in a large mirror with a shaft open below it, leading to the actual fire somewhere far away. Large reading tables and comfortable-looking benches and backless chairs were clustered here and there in the warm light. A broad, winding platform without rails led both up and down from this place like the threads in a screw, with artfully spaced perches and reading balconies.

"Here preserved all our surviving writings are, and all we could from the fallen watchposts retrieve. Daily reports from times long past, books of poems and stories by travellers left, the journals of former Queens and Kings. Over all Stormfasts's steadfast scrivener a careful watch keeps."

Batleby, meanwhile, is fussing busily about, handing white hoof gloves to the ponies. "For the documents," he says importantly, when Cleverboots gives him a questioning look. Then, to the Queen, "This way, my Queen."

Several piles of books had been arranged, stacked by size and color and bracketed by bookends, on one of the tables, but the main feature there was a huge scroll, a pony-length wide and almost twice as long, covered in rows of illustrations and ancient-looking script. Batleby leads the group to this, then bustles over to the faux fireplace to adjust the mirror and several valves on the pipes alongside.

"Yours, all of Stormfast is," Katabat says. "And yours too, all we can for your journey provide. This I have said, and this I mean. Before of such things and your own generous offers we speak, ask I do that you this scroll inspect, and with me your thoughts share."

Cleverboots looks it over. "This---this is pre-Equestrian High Hoofish! Nopony has seen a complete text like this in...thousands of years! Only fragments survive today," she explains quickly to the group, her face alight with joy and shocked disbelief. "The historical value alone--" she quickly slips on the hoofcovers Bartleby gave her and bends over the scroll, lips working. "Pocket Change! Help me with this!"

Working together, the two translate as they go. Rich pictures in an ancient style, with old gilt ink and no perspective at all, illustrate the text.

Thus sang Fortissima of the Vale:

When the prison is no longer a mirror

The colors of crowns may be joined.

The skies above may be clearer

And returned that which Earth purloined.

From warm lands to warm stone will come three

Welcomed as coldlanders must.

Three parts together are one key,

But properly handle your trust.

Not on wings, nor legs they may travel,

From from a land of two rulers they come.

The secrets of Ice to unravel

Spyglass, mainspring, and fulcrum.

Give as you will but know always,

True friendship comes without cost.

When darkness is ended by love's ways,

Returned may be what was lost.

The unicorn had noticed the strange look Bartleby had given him earlier, but decided not to say anything about it, "I know how to handle ancient texts, and I have my own pair of special gl...er..", he realized he had left the gloves back in the ship and quickly snatched the pair being offered via his telekinesis, "Right. Thank you.", he generally preferred to work with old books via his magic anyways as even white gloves could harm parchment. He followed the others into the vault.

Pocket was dumbfounded by such a sight, "Totally and utterly gaze-mazing.", the normally chatty pony could only blurt out as his eyes fell all over the wonderful books and tomes. Now he really wish he was able to drag his younger sister along with him. Her special talent dealt with books, from translation to scribe-work, she would have been a real boon to this part of their adventure. Still, he never really considered he would end up needing her help, and she already had plans to attend an old friend's wedding in Los Pegasus. She also hated cold weather more than he did. The unicorn was ever so lost in thought as he considered what book he would go through first, but Cleverboots quickly snapped him out of his daze, "Oh, right.", he slipped on the gloves and quickly made his way over to the mare and glanced at the scroll. His trusty notebook and inked quill floated near him as he helped to translate the scroll. At first, he was amused by the text, but let out an audible gasp once he was finished, "Leaping Luna! Ember...Emerath...Take a look at this!", he let his notebook float over to the two ponies so they could read he translated text.

Emerath's mouth hung open as they walked into the beautifully ancient library which was absolutely full of books of ancient times. He only wished he knew ancient languages, otherwise he'd have a field day in here! Unfortunately, aside from the few more recent texts they might have, he wouldn't be able to read any without the help of Cleverboots or Pocket. After the initial awe passed, he managed to put his jaw back into its rightful place, and gave Bartleby a light bow with his head as he took a pair of the gloves he was being offered in his mouth.

He didn't have much to do as the Captain and Pocket translated the scroll, so he found himself wandering over and looking at some of the books on a nearby shelf. They were, of course, illegible to him, which caused him to frown. However, it wasn't too much longer when Pocket quickly called Ember and Emerath over to read a notebook, which seemed to be the scroll translated. Emerath happily trotted over and took a look at the notebook as it hovered in the air, reading over the translation.

The first line struck him immediately. Fortissima! That was the main character of the play he remembered. Was she a real pony? If so, then possibly the other information in the play was real as well. He would have to discuss this with the others as soon as possible! However, as he read through the text, other things began to connect in his mind, and his thoughts began to excitedly dance around in his mind as he finished reading it.

He went back to a paragraph detailing ponies arriving on not wings, nor legs, coming from a land of two rulers. Surely they didn't mean them, arriving on an airship? Was this some sort of prophecy? Spyglass... Mainspring... Fulcrum... He knew what the first one was, but not many ponies knew what a mainspring was. But given as many watches and clocks he had managed to wear out in the many years of his life, he knew that it was the principal spring in a watch or clock. He also knew what the other two was, although they stuck out to him less than the second word. However, all three had other meanings. Well, spyglass didn't, but it had other implications, which was about the same thing. A spyglass gave insight where others couldn't see it, the mainspring is a motivator and maintainer of order, and a fulcrum is a central piece which holds everything together.

A pony to guide when others couldn't see the path... A pony to motivate others when they didn't want to follow the given path... and a pony to keep them together when things seemed ready to fall apart... Surely the Queen couldn't think...

Emerath had so many questions now! He quickly turned from the text and turned to the Queen, giving her a quick bow before looking at her and addressing her with his questions, "Your Highness... Do you believe this scroll to be a prophecy? Also, was Fortissima a real pony? And who could you imagine the three ponies are in our crew that this possible prophecy refers to?" He blushed a little, as he felt that he was needlessly interrogating a Queen, and he gave another bow, this time remaining with his nose to the floor as he spoke, "My sincerest apologies, your Highness, I did not mean to berate you with questions. Forgive me."

"No apology necessary is, Emerath. For correct you are. We of Stormfast in coincidences do not believe. In the fates and the power of hard work we trust. For visitors we have been looking since the great change over the moon came. Now with news of Princess Luna returned you come, and of an Equestria that once more two princesses has. On neither legs nor wings you come, and before me I see a wise Captain who has in three ponies her trust placed." She looked at each of the officers in turn.

"Think any of you a coincidence this is?" She asked, kindly. "Especially when our friend Emerath, of Fortissima knows?"

hi hi

gallery_82_11_113088.png

Upon entering the library, Ember Spark's attention was immediately fixed upon the strange, mirrored contraption and she split away from the group to go take a closer look. Sticking her head into the opening as far as she could stretch, she marveled at the chamber's clever geometry.

"Oooh, advective~ective~tive~ve!" her voice echoed down the length of the pipe and back again, which in turn only increased her excitement.

This is definitely no simple exhaust chimney, oooh, I've got to take a look at the smoke separation fixture. And the acoustics, hey! I wonder if there's anygriffin on the other end.

Ember Spark was just about to try calling down to the bottom of the shaft to see if she could get a response when Pocket Change beat her to the punch with an exclamation of his own. Having been completely unaware of what was going on around her up until that moment, she froze in place with her head twisted around behind her, managing to look a little bit like a little filly who'd been caught with her hoof in the cookie jar.

When she noticed that everyone was gathered around a huge, timeworn scroll, she cautiously righted herself back out of the fireplace and walked on over. Bartleby was ready to pounce in an instant, blocking her path with one outstretched arm, a pair of hoof gloves and a grave stare. Ember Spark politely grabbed them in her mouth and tried putting them on, though with two of them in her mouth at the same time it was a little tricky. She ended up dropping one and having to crouch down to pick it back up again. Then she tried using her free hoof to hold the glove steady, which just resulted in her performing a little hopping dance as she tried to pull the glove on before her hoof touched back down again. By the time she got the first glove on, they had been so thoroughly handled that they were both covered in soot from her prior work and what was left of her meal, ultimately defeating the purpose.

Carefully, she slipped the remaining glove under her toolbelt and managed a polite, "Thank you," before snapping her hooves in place on the ground and puffing herself with as serious a look as she could muster. Not moving another step closer, she leaned forward until she was almost in danger of falling over to take a look at the text.

"Now this... is something I have never seen before." she murmured to no one in particular, while she tried to process what she was seeing. "What do you suppose it means by 'Properly handle your trust?' That sounds important."

She listened to Emerath and Katabat talking about prophecies and coincidence, and she felt an intangible weight on her heart that told her something about the passage was important. But even after reading the translated text, she wasn't sure if she believed it was an auspicious prophecy, about herself specifically no less. Surely, she thought, with a volume of text as vast as this, there was bound to be something that applied to our situation.

Once again, to no one in particular, she pondered out loud, "Hmm... maybe its a riddle?" Then she turned to address Pocket Change, "Oh! Can I be the fulcrum? No, no, wait, I'll be the spy glass so I can learn more about time. Wait, no, I take that back."

"I'd probably favor to guess that you'd be the 'mainspring' considering how you're always so bouncy.", the unicorn replied somewhat dryly as he glanced at the ancient scroll, "And just like the ponies of ancient times, it seems the griffons of the past, also like to write in er, 'riddles.", he took his eyes away from the old text for a moment to look at the mare, "If for whatever reason I am made to scribble down instructions for the ponies of the future to follow, I'd be as unambiguous as I could. No poem, just easy to follow step by step directions on how to defeat the 'purple pony eater' or whatever special task the were to do. Maybe include photos.", he returned his attention back to the scroll, "As for the riddle...Guess it means we better stick together and keep an eye on each other's backs like we have been doing so far."

"What do you think Captain?", Pocket Change asked Cleverboots, "We're going to need a good map of the surrounding areas and information of the assorted dangers we will be facing once we leave the safety of the tower or our ship.", while they were still at the very start of their quest, he was already getting goose-pimples! He was following in the very hoof-steps of his favorite explorers be it Captain Falcon Heart or even Colonel Critchlow, and if they were to find these lands of fable, no strike that, they were DESTINED to find these lands, he could not even imagine all the historical artifacts they will find under the snow. Oh how Whiz Kid, Bright Eyes and the other members of his previous group of 'shovel bums' are going to hate themselves considering they had the chance to be with him, at his side, basking in his glory, but instead, they'll get to hear all of his adventures or even read about them in a book he'll most likely write (or have ghost written) about his adventures. Wa-Ha-Ha-Ha!

Emerath raised his nose from the floor as the Queen spoke in response, and was more than relieved that she wasn't upset for his sudden outburst. Perhaps he always took royalty too seriously. The Queen seemed more interested in treating them as her peers than as her subjects, and he could get around that. She was a kind Queen, and given the nature of their quest, and the words written in "prophecy" she seemed to genuinely believe they were some sort of saviors sent by ponykind.

Now, Emerath was never one to believe in fate. He always believed that a pony wrote their own destiny, and this wasn't very different, but he had to admit that there was too many pieces fitting together for this to be a coincidence, although he didn't believe that he himself could be part of this "prophecy." Not that he was about to tell the Queen as such. As his comrades discussed what this meant, the gears turned in his head, and he turned back to the desk with the scroll on it, and trotted over, careful not to touch anything, seeing as he still hadn't put on his gloves, having stuffed them into his jacket pocket instead. When he reached the desk, he pulled out a notebook (his spare, since Salt Spray had his main one) and a quill with a small ink bottle attached. He placed the notebook on the desk and took the quill in a magical grasp after he pulled the stopper out of his ink bottle and began to write some notes down.

Spyglass... Mainspring... Fulcrum... If what the Queen said was true, then that would mean the three officers in this room were each one of these items. Based on what little he knew about his fellow officers, the logical choices for what they should be was Spyglass = Pocket, Mainspring = Emerath, Fulcrum = Ember. Pocket seemed to have a very good view of the big picture, which made him the logical choice as a spyglass, "the pony who would show them the path." Emerath was great at order and organization, not to mention that a mainspring is a part of a watch, and Emerath's never give up attitude made him great at motivation when it was necessary. Thus he was the logical choice for the mainspring, "the pony who would motivate them to follow the given path." Finally, there was Ember, who's bubbly and happy personality and almost childish curiosity made for a very thick skin and a good personality to calm others with her naivete and good will towards others. Thus, she was the fulcrum, "The pony who holds things together, when they seem ready to fall apart."

Finally in his notes, he detailed some of the things out of the play he had remembered, which had detailed a string of towers and a clearing where Fortissima had ended up, which she had made her home. He scratched out a rough map based on the locations presented in the play, although actual distances and directions were subject to interpretation, seeing as plays rarely gave that much info. However, he circled the clearing and wrote "GOAL" next to it, believing with complete certainty that they had to find this clearing and Fortissima's current relatives who no doubt still lived there today.

When he finished his notes, he turned to his comrades who were still chatting (or daydreaming) and looked to the captain, who he saw was conversing with Pocket. "Captain, I know you're terribly busy with all this new info, but when you can, please look over these notes." He slid his notebook across the table, leaving it open to the page Cleverboots needed to see. He never was good at actually talking to other ponies, but he could sure share them his writings, and he hoped they were good enough to clarify some points of what was going on here, without him having to actually explain. He didn't want to have to explain...

Cleverboots took Emerath's notepad and looked it over. "I think," she said, "that you're on course as always, helmspony." She looked up with a warm smile. "And from what you've written here, the play you mention may be based on an old ballad detailing the life of this Fortissima. If something seems relevant, don't hesitate to speak up."

"What do you think Captain?", Pocket Change asked Cleverboots, "We're going to need a good map of the surrounding areas and information of the assorted dangers we will be facing once we leave the safety of the tower or our ship."

It was Queen Katabat who answered. "All that you need will provided be," she said. "Good Bartleby, our scrivener, has here collected those charts and volumes which to you should most useful be." She gestured to the neat stacks of books laid at the head of the enormous scroll.

"And for this we thank you, your majesty. As for this prophecy, whether one believes in fate or coincidence, it seems as though the good griffons of Stormfast need our help, and I believe I speak for my officers and crew when I say we will be more than happy to assist you however we can. What is it that was lost which this scroll refers to? I heard talk of ancient treasures and legends...?"

The Queen nods, and Bartleby rushes up, opening one of the books he had set at the head of the table to a marked page. A woodcut depicts a regal griffon in a strange armor; it seems mostly curlicues and empty space, with a fierce helmet featuring stylized dragon wings. The opposite page shows a series of labeled drawings of the armor's components, and smaller pictures of a griffon wearing the armor performing various deeds: here holding back an enormous thunderhead; here speaking from a high promotory to assembled animals; here breathing a gout of fire which cleaves an avalanche in two, saving a huddled group of reindeer.

"Of the highland tribes, Vendaval the greatest chieftan was. When unity was called for, the first he was the Council to join. For him this armor was fashioned, and to the Iceguard it was bequeathed. Lost long ago Vendaval's armor was. In the tunnels below Stormfast it lies, beyond a cave-in caused when the Shapeless Terrors we fought. Too small for griffons, the openings left are, and fathomless the black maze beyond is. It is of this we believe the prophey speaks. But to hope for your help, we almost dare not."

hi hi

gallery_82_11_113088.png

Even though she didn't really think of herself as bouncy, Ember Spark couldn't help but smile at Pocket Change's compliment. She almost tried testing out her newly defined super power by seeing how high she could bounce, but she didn't get much farther than flexing her hind legs before she remembered she was standing still for several good reasons, not wanting to tip over being just one of them. His comment about how he would provide step by step instructions, however, got her thinking. Suddenly everything seemed strikingly familiar.

"You know, now that you mention it..." she said, licking her lips which suddenly felt dry, "If someone had a plan, writing it down would be the sensible course of action. But suppose they didn't know how to do it? Perhaps it is something like an order. I frequently receive orders from ponies who don't even know what they want, they simply know that they want it. If that is the case, I predict that this might take an honest effort to get right."

At least Pocket Change's suggestion seemed reasonable enough, "Oh, sticking together is an excellent idea, extenuating circumstances notwithstanding. By sharing our comparative advantages, we can maximize the returns on our opportunity investments."

Ember Spark might have realized she was starting to ramble if she had kept going, but when Emerath spoke up, she made a conscious effort to pay attention. She leaned forward until her hind legs actually lifted up off the ground, eliciting a startled, but muffled *Eep!* before she regained her balance back on all fours. No matter how hard she tried though, she was just too far away to read Emerath's notes.

Oh, if only I hadn't given that spyglass back, I could read. Note to self: 'find spot for spyglass in toolbelt.'

"Oooh! What if the prophecy thing is being literal? Better check to make sure that spyglass doesn't have a name when I get back onboard the Polar Star." While the magnitude of the idea was too great to be conveyed by internal monologue, Ember Spark was at least able to keep her random exclamation down to an indoor volume. She listened half heartedly to Katabat and Cleverboots, all the while her mind was working overtime trying to recall which things onboard the Polar Star had names, and what names she would give the things that didn't. Hmm...would Wet Whistle be a good name for the primary blast pipe? Or maybe Chim Chimney...

When Batleby opened up his next book, Ember Spark couldn't help but throw in a quick quip to Pocket Change, "Ooh, look. They did include pictures."

It had been a very long time since Ember Spark had felt afraid of narrow, dark places. Being a little on the small side, even for ponies, she was able to squeeze into tight spots that others couldn't reach. It was a trait she was used to taking advantage of, so it was with some degree of reason that she didn't hesitate to respond. The idea of not going didn't even cross her mind.

"Oooh, this is going to be way better than salted peanuts."

"Shapeless terrors?", Pocket was a little worried as things were venturing quickly into 'spookytown', "What can you tell us about these creatures that you fought, and this maze?", he asked the griffons. The unicorn knew at one point in his life he would get to experience the full 'Daring Doo' and be forced to run through a series of traps and puzzles of increasing difficulty for the sake of finding some sacred relic or treasure. When he was younger, the pony wasn't much of a fan of the mazes he would find in the foal's magazines that seemed to be always present in doctor or dentist's offices. He'd usually give up on trying to lead 'Barney The Bear' to his pot of honey since the following page that detailed the further adventures of 'Hoofus and Gallant' were far more entertaining. "Lousy Gallant, he was such a flank-kisser, now Hoofus was the colt to be!", he smiled as he thought to himself.

"I dare not speak for my companions, but if your majesty wishes a task to be performed by me, I would gladly do it. You all have showed us nothing but generosity, beauty and kindness and I know such a thing cannot go unrewarded.", he bowed his head as he spoke, "And if it's armor you wish us to find, consider it found!", he hoped he was hearing things correctly as Ember Spark's antics were slightly distracting, which he did not mind as he considered the small mare to be utterly adorkable.*

"Oooh, this is going to be way better than salted peanuts."

The unicorn started to nod his head, but he stopped in mid-nod, "Wait..What?"

* http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=adorkable

Bartleby drew the next book in his stack, looking satisfied that his choices had been perfect thus far. The illustration showed a cloud-like mass of back tendrils, fanged grins floating in its inky form. Red eyes showed here and there as well. Concentric rings spread out from the thing, and griffons knelt or fled, clutching their ears, weapons forgotten.

"Terror, their weapon was, and shapeless they were. Against them, weapons no use were. The darkest things in a warriors heart, they used. Against their own doubts, even the fiercestfind it hard to stand. Defeated them we did, but in the tunnels still may they lurk."

Cleverboots grinned defiantly. "Nothing my officers can't handle, Your Majesty." The Captain turned to you. "Well? Emerath thinks you three are the fulcrim, mainspring, and spyglass in this prophecy mentioned--er, um, mentioned in this prophecy. Pocket Change is in--what about you two?"

Emerath had blushed a little at the compliment from Cleverboots. He wasn't used to being complimented by anypony, and Cleverboots sure did do it a lot. As everyone was talking, Emerath had noticed Ember attempting to take a look at his notebook, and quickly retrieved it from the desk before she could read it, worried that she might take his words as an insult instead of just an observation, and thankfully she didn't notice as she almost fell forward and went back to being lost in thought about something.

As his comrades conversed, Emerath just stood there listening and the gears in his head absently turned as more and more information was loaded into the machine through his ears. It was all processing in the back of his mind, although nothing was coming forth as a final product of his logic. He did not recognize any information about these shapeless things. They definitely seemed to be a species only seen in the Northern Outlands. Even Changelings had a shape, despite the fact that they could make that shape whatever pony they wanted it to be.

Honestly, to Emerath, this prophecy was coincidental at best, and things were just fitting together. What the main point was to him, was the adventure that could be gained from this, and if these shapeless horrors weren't just the "Boogie Pony" hiding in the dark and were a real species, they could get quite a bit of recognition for discovering it and proving its existence. He was sure Pocket and Cleverboots would get a kick out of that.

Emerath nodded his head as Cleverboots asked her question. "Of course I'm in, Captain. I've come this far. No sense in turning back now."

hi hi

gallery_82_11_113088.png

"Salted peanuts," Ember Spark said matter-of-factly, "I'm reasonably sure most griffins I know enjoy them, and they would certainly make a savory gift, but an opportunity this felicitous does not happen ever day you know. If only picking out birthday presents were this straightforward... I wonder, is it anygriffin's birthday today?"

Ember Spark had heard quite a few tall tales in her time, especially during her studies in Canterlot. The world, it seemed, had no shortage of strange creatures lurking about here and there. And yet, at the end of the night, the sun would rise again on a new day all the same. Some of her friends might have called her careless, but in her own way, she respected dangers. She tried to understand them, to see them from a different point of view, but as she listened to the griffin describe the terrors, she felt a scratch across her heart, an inkling that they were perhaps not prepared for what was ahead.

"H-hey now, lets be reasonable." she said quietly, more for her own benefit than anyone else, "If... if those shapeless terrors are still around, they probably cannot fit through the tunnels either or else somegriffin undoubtedly would have seen one by now. Unless they don't want to cause trouble anymore, in which case, I would suspect they are as afraid of us as we are of them."

The thought did help a little bit, but it was her curiosity that actually pushed her forward, and the fear of the unknown was pushed aside by the desire to know it.

"Maybe... just maybe." Her voice grew more confident with every word, "Perhaps after all this time, they're not as angry anymore? They say time heals... Ooh, Emerath, you're an expert on timekeeping, what do you think?"

Ember Spark was already pulling out her official project notepad, getting ready to jot down more insights into the nature of time when Cleverboots asked if she was interested in going along. Emerath didn't seem concerned at all, and Pocket Change was ready to go. Worry had made its brief appearance before going on its way again, leaving Ember Spark convinced that this was a perfect opportunity for them to shine. After all, a little care and consideration can go a long way.

"Ooh, ooh, I'll go too!" Ember Spark almost bounced in place again, stopping just in time to remember that her hooves were planted on the ground, "I've got an idea for how to find our way around in the... wait a minute." she paused, a look of concern falling over her face, "If the tunnels are too narrow for griffins, and this armor was fitted for a griffin, how are we going to get it back out again?"