The Voyage of the Polar Star

Trilobite

Pocket Change slowly entered the new chamber noting the claw marks as he did, "Cheerful little place we have here.", he muttered to himself as he cantered on. As glib as his statement was, he was starting to feel a bit odd, and he was almost sure he felt a bit of coldness touch his very being, which he should not have, considering his own natural pony coat, combined with his clothing should have made him as snug as a bug in a rug. But this feeling was different, almost reminding him of the day-mare he had not that long ago. "Guys. Do you feel funny? I think I see. Oh dear.", he the noticed the black cloud, the 'Shapeless Terrors' that the unicorn had feared the moment he heard of such beasts.

The unicorn finally realized what the unnatural coldness he was fearing. It was not the weather, nor the room, but fear itself that was quickly lashing its claws onto his heart. "Er...Guys...". He wanted to run as fast and as far away as he could, but what about the others? Would Emerath or Ember Spark run? What if they did and were not fast enough? He might get away, but he would never be able to live with himself if those two were harmed due to his cowardice. "Close your eyes, now!", he shouted as he started a spell before closing his own two eyes as well. A simple light spell probably would not do, instead he would have to summon an 'Majestic Illumination' spell. It was a light spell created for larger rooms, and considering the chamber they were in wasn't that big, it hopefully will make the shadow beasts feel like they were staring into the sun. His horn lit up just briefly before the 'illumination' spell went off. Hopefully this would be good enough..

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a sound like a thousand dentist's drills and the ennui retreated with an almost physical sensation of withdrawal. The Shapeless Terror shrank, swirling down into an intensely dark cloud that gripped the armor with its tendrils, pulsing as though it were drawing something from the artifact.

Its eyes, squeezed down to slits against the light, focused on Emerath, and everyone could feel the waves of cold power flowing out of it and crashing against the unicorn.

You're not like other unicorns and you never will be...always in the background...no one would have you on stage...alone even among others...unwanted...tolerated only because you are useful...your special talent is just something anypony could do if they cared to pay attention...

Everyone could hear the thoughts, coming through in distorted mixtures of their own voice and that of Emerath, but Emerath, as the focus of the attack, felt these things as though they were his own thoughts, as though they came from deep in his own heart.

[colour=#BFBFFF]hi hi[/colour]

gallery_82_11_113088.png

Ember Spark had felt the shifting mood of her surroundings, and had been looking around for any positive signs, a glowing mushroom, a patch of moss, a scurrying rodent, anything but nothing really. She was casually turning over another piece of shattered stone when Pocket Change called out.

Her first instinct was the freeze.

Every muscle in her body tensed up, she felt a chill in her very heart, but her mind set to racing. She hadn't known what to expect, but it certainly wasn't this. [colour=#773344]Whatdowedo? what-do-we-do? What do we do?[/colour]

Her second instinct was to run.

The trembling in her legs turned into a wobble, then into rhythmic tapping, and finally into motion. She backpedalled a couple of paces, and was just about to turn and bolt when she heard Pocket Change shout. She didn't even think about it, but she did stumble on the uneven flooring and lose her balance while she saw the world turn a bright red-orange through eyes shut tight. Struggled to get back up to her hooves, but between her panic and her inability to see, she just ended up thrashing helplessly for a bit. Even if she couldn't see it though, she could still feel it. She could feel it wane and ebb, like the wave that cleaves obstinate stone, pulling back and then pressing forward again.

She braced herself, letting the feeling wash over her without immediately pressing back. She heard the voices and tried to calm her racing thoughts to keep them from getting jumbled together in a indiscernible mess. She tried to listen to what the creature was saying. [colour=#773344]Is it possible to communicate? What do you want!?[/colour]

The creatures words were cold and harsh, and in general not at all friendly. Her voice caught in her throat as she tried to talk, unsure of what she was even saying. [colour=#773344]"Um... let me know when I can open my eyes again so we can... um, attempt an escape?"[/colour]

Emerath wasn't really focused on the group at all when they came upon the monster. He was staring at a statue that had been absolutely torn to shreds. Not just sliced and decapitated, but cut into bits by something Emerath could only imagine was more powerful than the other creatures. Possibly their leader. His mind went to racing, and he had only begun to turn back to Pocket Change, not hearing the warning of his light nor seeing the creature he was attempting to blind, Emerath received the full brunt of the flash.

Emerath stumbled to the side, away from Pocket Change who he had been walking next to, and his forelegs collapsed under him as his eyes watered and he attempted to regain sight. It came back, as shapes slowly began to reform out of the white sheet that had been placed over his eyes. He blinked and more shapes appeared. But the monster, probably sensing his sudden weakness from the blinding, didn't give him the opportunity to clearly see again, before it began to chill Emerath down to his very soul.

It was as if someone had encased him in ice. Even through his jacket, his very bones shivered as the creature pulled out one of Emerath's deepest fears and brought it to light. Before he knew it, he was confessing from his heart and soul out loud to his companions and this monster that he would always be second rate. He would never be the leader he tried to be on stage as the director. His father would outshine him as the theater owner until he died. He could never act. His talents were second rate and only necessary in dire situations. Emerath... was a failure.

Tears began to stream down his face as the last of the white light finally cleared from his eyes and he could see the monster in front of him. But he found he didn't fear the monster. He feared himself and his lackluster performance in life.

His hind end hit the cold floor and his vision swayed away from the monster towards the floor, as he hung his head and stared at the grey stones around him. [colour=#b22222]"It's right... I'll never be good enough..."[/colour] he said wistfully, the monster no longer having to say it, with Emerath admitting his own defeat. [colour=#b22222]"I was going to leave Ember Spark cause I was too scared to see her get hurt... I'm a failure as a pony and as a friend. I'll always be second rate..."[/colour]

gallery_82_11_113088.png

Ember Spark still wanted to run. If she could have seen, she might have pushed Emerath back out the door and all the way up the stairs if she had to. They could have disappeared into any one of the thousands of nooks and crevices left open by shattered stone and gone as dark as those mushrooms they'd all seen before. Fade away only to return again once the danger had passed.

She wanted to run, but she couldn't see. She could only feel. She felt the cold rough stone against her legs, its loose fragments sliding away underhoof as she struggled to stand. She felt the shadow creature's presence, it stood out against the chill that surrounded it, growing like wildfire and drawing ever closer. It wasn't drawing closer to her though. Even through the haze of panic, she could feel the resignation in Emerath's voice, and in that moment she thought perhaps she glimpsed the creature's intent as well.

[colour=#773344]"No..."[/colour]

The refusal that her friend's plaintive words had sparked deep down in her gut roared to life in an instant, and where her words had been filled with uncertainty only a moment before, they now found their way to the tip of her tongue as soon as she thought them. Holding back now would have been too much for her heart to bear.

[colour=#773344]"No you don't! Everyone fails, from the mightiest Princess to the humblest street performer, to the living shadows who failed to vanquish their foes and were resigned to remain buried and alone."[/colour]

Eyes still shut tight, Ember Spark carefully lifted herself back up on all fours. [colour=#773344]If you wanted something from us, you should have asked. I won't let you take my friend, but its ok, because I have something to share...[/colour]

She took a step forward, [colour=#773344]"When someone falls, the nice thing to do is to lend a hoof."[/colour] Then another step forward, moving by feeling alone. Another step closer to the creature, and hopefully between it and Emerath. [colour=#773344]"Maybe it is all pointless in the end, but right now, the experience matters."[/colour]

The memory was fresh in her mind. She was back in the feasting hall, the warm comforting air sinking into her cold, tired limbs. She remembered how the smell of garlic, onions and roasted carrots tickled her nose and played counterpoint with a freshly eaten cherry tart. She remembered the pleasantly uncomfortable feeling in her stomach, letting her know she'd eaten a bit too much, and she remembered the honeyed oat bread convincing her to eat a little bit more anyway.

In hear heart though, she could still feel the joy of laughter, the welcoming smiles of the griffins around her, and the thrill of dancing with a total stranger. No matter how big her heart swelled she knew it would never by too full... nor would it ever truly be empty.

Grabbing hold of that feeling for dear life, Ember Spark stepped into the shadowy tendrils. If that creature wanted feelings, she was going to give it something to remember.

---

[colour=#302030]'When you go into the alleyway, the big scary thing hiding in the dark is you.'[/colour]

"Rubbish!", Pocket did not release his light spell as he tried his very best to aim it directly at the shadow beast, "Those ideas might have floated around in your head, but you choose to ignore them and did the right thing instead!", the unicorn shouted," I would have never been able to save Ember if you did not step in and given me a helpful-hoof! So don't give us that bunk about you being a second rate pony!", the unicorn was already starting to feel a little weak as he used a spell never intended to be used as a weapon, "And please do us all a favour and fight back against this thing! It's trying to use what you believe to be faults and weakness against you! So, it might be somewhat sappy of me to say this, buy you need to combat this monster with positive emotions! You saw the picture, proper weapons do not harm it. Think happy things! I'm thinking about the times I spent with my friends, with my Sun Catcher and all the things I've done over the years. Heck, the time I spent a few hours with a few of the Wonderbolts and Rainbow Dash in the same pub should be enough to send this beastie packing, but we need to do this together!"

The pony tried to get closer to his two companions as he concentrated on his spell hoping the closer the three were together, the stronger they got. While he was not too keen on getting closer to the tendrils, he knew the stronger he pushed and the closer he got to the monster, the better chance they had in defeating their foe. "And come on Emerath! The quicker we find the armor, the sooner we can get back to the castle, and if you've never been kissed by a girl with a beak before, I assure you, it's something you'll never forget! So come on already! I don't want Sky to get all the smoochies!"

Emerath watched the floor as Ember Spark made her way to the monster. He saw one of her hooves cautiously step past him, and he looked up at her, his eyes wide and full of water. It was blurry, but he could see she still had her eyes shut, but a look of absolute determination on her face. As she stepped into the shadow, Emerath felt no desire to stop her. [colour=#b22222]They don't understand... Everyone already loves them... At the party Ember Spark and Pocket Change went to dance. I was all alone. I always followed last in the group until somepony noticed me. Other ponies don't actually care. They just do it so they don't hurt my feelings...[/colour]

Emerath was finding it hard to take Pocket Change's words to heart. He knew he helped save Ember Spark, but that didn't matter. What mattered is that he was going to leave her to die. The thought suddenly stuck in his head, looping like a bad nightmare, of Ember Spark slowly falling to her death in the pit. It was a slow motion horror scene of her flailing as she fell, screaming for help, and Pocket Change trying desperately and failing to save her as Emerath ran from the crumbling ruins around him.

As this scene played out in his mind, Emerath's tears began to run anew, and he hung his head once more, as Pocket Change continued to try desperately to get him to snap out of his current emotional state. It wasn't until Pocket Change mentioned being kissed by a girl with a beak that a far off distant memory began to form in his mind's eye, pushing away the horrible scene looping in his head.

---

Emerath was a young stallion, teaching a young female griffon some of the dance moves required for the play they were going to be starring in. At times, one would stumble and they'd fall in a heap, laughing. Other times they'd pull off the dance flawlessly and just smile at each other. The theater was quiet that night, with only Emerath's father there to watch them and direct as necessary. The play was tomorrow, and they had to have everything just right.

After what seemed like an eternity of happy dancing, Emerath's father finally called a close to rehearsal and began to clean up and get ready to leave. Emerath however, wanted one more dance, and the griffon happily obliged. His father just smiled and shook his head, as he left the theater, mentioning something about not staying out too late.

And so they finished their last dance, and spent another eternity staring at each other when it was over.[colour=#008000] "Thank you for teaching me all this."[/colour] the young griffon finally said. "[colour=#008000]I never realized I talked funny before. Normal in my home, it is."[/colour] Then she caught herself and giggled. [colour=#008000]"I mean, it is normal in my home."[/colour]

Emerath returned the giggle by chuckling himself. [colour=#b22222]"Well, your way of speaking wouldn't have worked very well for the play we're casting."[/colour] he said kindly, and as he finished the sentence, they just went back to smiling at each other.[colour=#b22222] "So... what are you going to do when the play is over?"[/colour] he finally asked her.

[colour=#008000]"I don't know..."[/colour] she said, looking away, [colour=#008000]"I can't stay away from home for long."[/colour]

[colour=#b22222]"Can I go with you?" [/colour]Emerath asked, a look of hope in his eyes.

[colour=#008000]"It's too far... but, I can give you a memory to keep until I come back."[/colour] she said, looking back at him, before leaning forward and giving Emerath a kiss.

The next day, the play went off without a hitch, and received a standing ovation from the crowd. As the cast bowed and the curtain fell, Emerath remembered just how happy that kiss made him, and how amazing it felt to work alongside this beautiful griffon as an actor, something his father never normally let him do because of his actual talents.

However, after the party for the cast was done, and he had spent the entirety of such searching for his griffon friend to no avail, he decided to go to her dressing room. When he knocked and received no response, and cautiously opened the door, he found it was empty. All her belongings packed and nothing but costumes hanging on racks remained. All Emerath had was the memory, and the hope that the griffon would return from distant lands one day.

---

Emerath blinked and his gaze suddenly shifted to Pocket Change. His eyes were dry and the chill in his bones had suddenly been replaced by a warmth he hadn't felt in years. He held onto the memory of the dance, the kiss, the play, and even, strangely enough, the hope that waiting for the griffon gave him. The memories made him happy, and he realized that, even if only for a moment in his past, he wasn't second rate. He could be that pony again. He was loved by a beautiful griffon, and by an audience of many. That didn't have to be a one time deal.

Emerath stood up with new resolve in his heart. The cold floor didn't even seem all that cold anymore. As Ember Spark disappeared into the shadow in front of them, he knew he had to help her somehow. None of the three of them could do this alone, and Emerath understood that now more than ever. They all had a role to play. Emerath's horn flickered with magic, and a bright light shone forth from his horn as well, toward the shadowy beast, meeting up with Pocket Change's light in a dazzling display.

[colour=#b22222]"Thank you. Both of you. I don't know what I'd do without such good friends."[/colour] he said simply, smiling despite the serious task at hand. He continued to remember the past, and held onto those memories for dear life, feeding off the warmth they gave him.

The shaodow curled back in on itself, tendrils whipping away from the trio as though scalded. It shrieked, and turned its furious gaze toward the pony who dared to advance on it.

A blast of cold struck Ember Spark, past flesh and straight into bone. Words came with it, but they seemed fainter, less coherent than before.

...talentless dirtpony...no real magic, just machines...studying others' talents to make up for not having one your own...

The words faded, then came back twice as loud, with a harsh buzzing sound that blurred into a second dialogue aimed at Pocket Change.

...drifter...lost in the past...you'd be nopony without your family's money...

Despite the renewed fervor of the shadow's attacks, it continued to shrink, drawing back from the group, clinging desperately to the armor.

"Seriously? That's the best you could come up with?!", The unicorn let out a dry chuckle, "No real magic? Well, she is an earth pony, and while some might consider they all have some very basic and latent magical skills, I'm just so sorry my dear.", his voice was directed at the mare, but he kept his eyes on the shadow beast, "You'll probably never pass magic kindergarten, nor will you ever cast a spell. Nor will you never be able to write your name in the snow without using a hoof, there's also a very small chance you'll ever be able to grow mutton-chop sideburns, so you'll just have to stick to being your usual sweet, smart and sassy self!"

The unicorn stepped closer, "And really now! Me?", he was back to addressing the shadow-monster, "That's all you got?!", he laughed even harder as he got closer to the tendrils, "I live in Canterlot my dear and there are some ponies whose talents deal mainly in heart-breaking, soul crushing gossip, my mother for example. I am a drifter I do admit it, as the job requires. And I rather like being in the past, it's also part of my job and I rather like the art. It was a little less conservative and far more adventursome than today's art. And DUH!", he smacked his helm with a right hoof,"Everypony in Canterlot knows about our money situation. It's practically been our family motto for the past century, er, 'Haurientes ea familia fortuna'. You're not a very good nightmare shadow monster! You looked into my head and that's all you could find! I've got a TON of miserable little secrets that aren't so secret. I drink a little too much, I haven't had a proper and lasting relationship since I broke up with Sun Catcher. I'm kind of creeper at times, and I always have to check out a mare's flank when I first meet her. I usually say I'm just checking out her cutie mark, but we all know that's not true! Probably not considered proper etiquette and 'Pentile The Proper Posh Pony Of Perfect Politeness' would frown on me if he were real. So come on babe! Hit me with your best stuff! We have things to do! We need to get that armor out of this dark and dank hole and you're not helping it by getting your dusty shadow dander all over it! So either get all nightmarey or do us a favour and crawl back in whatever hole you've been wasting away in!"

At this point he was looking directly at the shadow monster with a look of utter contempt and pity.

The beast had shrunk down to a tiny black spot, flickering and insubstantial. It was more gray now than black, and its eyes a soft pink rather than a blazing red. As pocket change approached, it fell further and further back, now the size of a hoof, now a candle flame, now a matchhead. Finally, with one last awful shriek, it detached from the armor and whisked away into a crack in the stone.

gallery_82_11_113088.png

Ember Spark could feel the shadow creature wither and flee, the darkness lessened, and she could see light again through her still closed eyelids. However, the cold had settled in deep and didn't depart along with the creature. She wasn't quite sure when she'd found her way back to the ground again, she couldn't feel her limbs, all she felt was a dull, hollow sensation when she warily tapped them against the floor. In fact, if it weren't for the vague feeling of pressure coming from her bruised side, she wouldn't have been sure she was laying against the floor at all. There was one thing she knew for sure though.

She was shivering.

Cold was something that she knew about, that she had experienced before. Ever since going on this journey, she'd invented a dozen new ways to describe different levels of cold. She had observed it, measured it, and touched it, but this was the first time she had truly been it. So even though she was dimly aware that the immediate danger had passed, the part of her that wanted to jump for joy was outvoted by the part that just wanted to curl up into a ball and warm up again. And because of the warmth in her heart and in her friends, she felt safe and content enough to do just that.

When she finally felt that it was not too bright to open her eyes again, she slowly widened her eyelids until she was just barely squinting, and looked around the room. The shadow was gone, and Emerath and Pocket Change were still there, seeming no worse for their wear.

[colour=#773344]"T-thank you..."[/colour] she managed to say through chattering teeth, though she wasn't quite sure who she was speaking too. To Pocket Change for standing up for them, to Emerath for not giving up, or to the Shadow itself, for finally leaving them alone.

Emerath was standing nearby, towering over her, and she was about to ask him for a bit of help in starting a fire with the remains of her engine oil when she noticed the distant look in his eyes. So instead she turned her attention to Pocket Change.

[colour=#773344]"Y-you're wrong, you k-know..."[/colour] she started out with a grave tone in her voice and paused until she was sure she had his attention, [colour=#773344]"I-I graduat-ted f-from magic s-school in C-Canterlot-t..."[/colour] but she punctuated the end of her statement with a wink and a goofy little grin.

With the shadow creature gone, the unicorn quickly dismissed his spell, but kept the light in his helmet on,"I can't believe I was so afraid of that pitiful thing.", Pocket Change grumbled to himself as he opened up one of his bags and slowly removed a cloak from its contents, which he placed on Ember Spark. He backed up and gave the mare a good lookover before closing his bags, "Sorry, it's a little too big for you, and the colour doesn't match your coat, but it should keep you nice and warm. ", he smiled back at the girl before he made his way over to the armor, which he studied for a brief moment, "It doesn't look like much, but I'm sure after a good polish and some tender loving care from their blacksmith, they'll make it suitable for a captain of the guard, or even a princess."

He continued to study the armor,"To think, it wasn't that long ago when you had to wear something the moment you stepped outside of your home, and it wasn't for show like the 'Royal Equestrian Army' is today. You actually had to have some amount of steel or iron between you and the world or some horrible beastie would rip you up with its claws. Ponies would seldom go outdoors during the night, knowing there were more than a few nasties out there ready to get 'em. Thankfully, that's all changed over the years.", he made sure the armor was secure so it would not fall apart the moment he moved it. "Guys, do you think we should carry this on our backs, or maybe even just levitate it? I probably shouldn't be using my magic for the time being. Guess I could always carry it. Just toss it on my back and strap it down and we should be fine."

"What do you two think? I'd like to get out of here as soon as possible and hopefully the griffons will be waiting for us with a few mugs of hot buttered rum or mulled wine. Does anypony mull anymore?"

Emerath cut off his light spell as he watched the creature shrink into a tiny form and quickly dart into a nearby crack in a wall. He stared at the crack, waiting for a swarm of the creatures to come back out. Yet, nothing came. It made Emerath wonder if there really were any more of them, or if it was just the lone creature. As he considered the latter, he actually started to feel sorry for the thing. As his companions bantered with each other and recovered from the encounter, Emerath found himself wandering over to the crack.

As he approached, his horn sparked again and he shone his light spell into the crack, and took a closer look. He couldn't tell if there was anything in there or not. Again he felt a deep sadness for the creature. It probably just wanted friends, and was probably jealous of the griffons, and later the ponies for having such good friends and allies. It probably only stole the armor to get attention, much like a neglected foal.. Emerath sighed. Perhaps if the creature hadn't been so mean to him to begin with, he might've tried to reason with it. Instead the group just got angry and attacked, and now the creature was presumably gone forever.[colour=#b22222] "For what it's worth,"[/colour] he said sullenly to the crack,[colour=#b22222] "I'm sorry if we hurt you."[/colour]

He turned back to his companions to assist them in loading up the armor, taking a piece himself and using his magic to put it on his back and tie it down with the blanket he brought with him. [colour=#b22222]"I'd say getting out of here is a good idea. There's too much sadness here..."[/colour]

As the ponies would make their way out of the room, Emerath would take one last look at the crack the creature escaped into, hoping to see it, and maybe apologize.

gallery_82_11_113088.png

Ember Spark wrapped Pocket Change's cape around her as best as she could, though her movements were sluggish and her shaking hooves caused the fabric to continually slip out of her grasp as she tugged on it. [colour=#773344]"T-thanks, j-just allow m-me a moment-t to f-find some warmth t-t-to k-keep."[/colour] She forced a smile to her lips and remained laying on the ground for a while longer as the cold slowly released its grip on her heart. [colour=#773344]"I t-think that-t s-shadow has s-some mulling t-to do."[/colour]

She saw Emerath out of the corner of her eye and turned her head to look away. Although she listened carefully to what he was saying, she still felt like giving him some semblance of privacy for the moment. [colour=#773344]Is this good or bad timing? I'll have to make sure to ask about that later. How does one know whether to wait for somepony to finish or whether to jump in the middle? Emerath would probably play it safe and wait, so its probably best to follow his lead and wait.[/colour]

Once Pocket Change started packing up the armor, however, Ember Spark decided it was time to spur herself into motion. Slowly and laboriously, she picked herself up and got on her hooves. Without any feeling in her legs, it was a strange cross between walking on stilts and floating in midair. [colour=#773344]I wonder if its like this for pegasi when they're flying.[/colour]

She stumbled a little as she made her way over to the remaining pieces of armor, pausing briefly with each step to re-test her balance. Pressing down with one hoof, she tipped the armored helmet onto its side and stooped over. When she stood back up, the helmet was resting loosely over her head, and being a couple sizes too large, it swayed back and forth a little as she shivered.

[colour=#773344]"I've g-got this piece."[/colour] she chirped as enthusiastically as she could. She didn't trust her shaky hooves with anything that didn't come in a single piece.

Before the trio left the room, she carefully lowered what was left of her little box of peanuts to the floor. It may have been only half full and partially crushed by now, but it was something. [colour=#773344]"Its not m-much..."[/colour] she spoke softly, [colour=#773344]"b-but that armor isn't-t yours."[/colour]

As they left, Ember Spark struggled to keep pace with Emerath, figuring that she'd given him enough time to think. Her voice was solemn, although she tried not to sound too gloomy, [colour=#773344]"Loneliness and failure is what it knew, its been stuck down here brooding over this tin can for who knows how long,"[/colour] she tapped a hoof on the side of her helmet to for emphasis, and winced as she felt pins and needles shoot up her leg, [colour=#773344]"Maybe now it'll have a chance to move on, maybe meet some nice, friendly shadows? The iceguard certainly got along just fine without it all of these years."[/colour]

As they left, Emerath found himself walking alongside the group, not behind them. He was happy that he felt confident enough to do that now, and he felt his heart to be so much lighter as they walked, despite the oppressive darkness and cold surrounding them. Not to mention the heavy armor on his back.

He smiled as Ember Spark tried to keep pace despite her shaky hooves, and actually slowed down a bit so that she wasn't struggling so bad. But when she began to talk about the shadow, Emerath's smile faded, and he grew a bit solemn.[colour=#b22222] "I hope it can. I wouldn't have minded being its friend if it were more friendly."[/colour] He looked at Ember Spark and his smile returned, [colour=#b22222]"I think it would've been a neat pet. Maybe a little exotic, sure, but I think all it needs is a little love and care. Although I wouldn't know what to feed it."[/colour]

"I just wonder what it was.", Pocket mused as he followed the others, "I am no spectrologist, but I assumed it was some sort of remnant. Or maybe a spectral guard created to watch these catacombs, but was able to overwhelm its former masters. I've even heard legends of powerful mages turning their foes into living shadows, pushing them into a horrible existence of being neither alive nor dead. Whatever it was, I doubt you'd want a undead creature that feeds off your emotions as a pet. I'd stick to a pup or cat.", Pocket Change couldn't help but look rather worried as Ember Spark moved on, "Once we get back to base, we are going to have you looked at. I know my suit looks a bit silly, but it's kept me feeling warm during most of this journey, and it's based off nearly the same design as the uniforms the Wonderbolts wear during their shows, but with a bit more insulation. Just wish it came in other colours."

While he did feel a little comfortable going back the way they had came now knowing the shadow-beast was something he no longer feared, he continued to move with caution, knowing there was still a chance they could set off a trap they could have missed before. He was also considerably worried about his mare companion, hoping they could get back to the fortress before she got sick.

A pair of Iceguard stood at rigid attention outside the door to the catacombs, stoic and unmoving. Nearby, Commanger Gale and one of her lieutenants discussed something, the two gesturing at points on a map and ocassionally asking a question of Scribe Bartleby, who stood nearby.

Commander Gale turned her head to the door, eyes narrowing. At her raised claw, four more Iceguard swept into the room, aiming crossbows at the door. Gale herself stood in the center of the group, barring the way with her body, claws ready.

The door rattled, opening slowly...

gallery_82_11_113088.png

[colour=#773344]"...And then I s-said, 'Are you crazy!?' But he d-didn't wait..."[/colour]

Ember Spark used her new helmet to push the door open, which in her current state, was a whole lot easier than using her hooves. Between the metal plate and her fluffy mane, she barely felt a thing, which along with her cloaked back, was a sharp contrast to the sharp stinging, burning sensation she felt in her limbs once the feeling had started to return to them.

Ember Spark wasn't so oblivious that she missed Commander Gale and her guards, but she was in the middle of telling a story, so she just politely nodded circled around to face Pocket Change and Emerath so she could emphasize the finale.

[colour=#773344]"...He j-just smiled and proceeded to eat-t the whole thing, right there on the spot. T-the. whole. thing. All by himself. My s-stars, I couldn't even believe it."[/colour]

After she'd finished her story, Ember Spark turned her attention back to Commander Gale and bowed deeply, which allowed the helmet to slide off her head and clatter across the stone floor. Before it rolled to a stop though, she was already following suit, and with a set of wobbly legs, she lowered herself to the ground and flopped onto her side. Looking up at the now towering griffin, she was glad the world had stopped spinning quite so much.

[colour=#773344]"A moment for me to rest, please give. A warm bath later, I can find..."[/colour]

She wasn't sure she was making any sense, but the journey back to the living, breathing Stormfast had taken a lot out of her. Right then and there, she wouldn't have worried if the sky was falling, she just wanted to sit still and bask in the warm glow of the flickering lamplight.

"Uh. right.", Pocket Change was really starting to worry about his mare companion, was she acting like a 'silly pony' to cover up the horrible pain she might be in at this very moment? Was she frost-bitten? Or did she have something worse? He had considered giving her a quick check-up before they moved on, but he was far from a doctor, and his own middling first aid skills may cause more harm than help, but it was obvious that Ember Spark needed first aid right away! The ship's doctor would need to be summoned! He was so wound-up and worried that he failed to notice that they were already at the door to the griffon's tower. He followed the mare, and held the door open for Emerath to follow.

"We have defeated the shadow-beast and returned the armor. I do not wish to be rude, your Highness.", he glanced at the Griffon Princess with respect in his face and tone as he set his armored chest plate down, "I do wish to get my friend here to a warm bath, and we need to alert Miss Cleverboots and our ship's doctor. I fear for our friend's health and anything else can wait till we are sure she is well.", he bowed his head respectfully, but it was obvious in his tone that this needed to be done quickly.

Princess Gale lost no time. "Hoarfrost, Bartleby, the armor to the chamber of relics take. Hailseeker, my mother the Queen inform. Griffons of the Iceguard, to my chambers the captain and doctor of the Polar Star bring." The chamber exploded with activity as griffons raced to obey Gale's commands.

"Ponies of the Iceguard..." she scooped up Ember Spark easily in her arms and grinned. "To keep up with me, try." She launched herself into the air, speeding off through the narrow tunnels and up to the stairwells, making tight turns and accelerating all the while.

Three ponies sat on plush armchairs, tiny and quite new-looking compared to the rest of the furniture in the modest stone chamber. Each was swaddled in a thick downy blanket lined with a regal-looking feather lining, and they had thermometers in their mouths. A blazing fire roared behind them, and their hind feet sat in buckets of steaming water.

Queen Katabat, Cleverboots, and Princess Gale looked on as Silver Lining, the Polar Star's doctor, and a wizened griffon with one wooden leg conferred. Silver Lining, a striking, gray-and-white pegasus, turned to the assembled leadership. "They'll be fine," she said.

The griffon nodded his agreement. "Through much hardship, they have passed, but strong hearts they have. Time and rest will heal."

"Especially rest." Silver lining and the griffon looked at each other, having spoken simultaneously, and started laughing.

Cleverboots stepped forward. "I'll see that they get it. All three of you are on medical leave as of this moment. We're still resupplying and refitting the Polar Star and I don't want any of you," she looked at Ember Spark, Emerath, and Pocket Change, "to lift a hoof until it's done." Her face was stern, but it softened. "I couldn't have picked better ponies to head up my crew. We're all very proud of you."

"And much to you the Iceguard owes." Queen Katabat said. Her daughter, standing close at her side, nodded solemnly. "By your efforts an ancient treasure of the Iceguard restored is, and more besides. As its powers the armor regains, travel farhter, do more the Iceguard will."

Commander Gale spoke up. "Ties with Equestria and the new Griffon lands we have agreed to renew. And to have you as friends, I am proud. Toward a warm future, the winds now blow!"

Pocket Change removed his thermometer via his own telekinesis and let it rest on a nearby counter. The somewhat tacky suit he wore during their little adventure would never win him any prizes in the fabled halls of pony fashion, but it did keep him safe and warm. "I'm fine. Really.", he grinned, "I'm as healthy as a horse.". He had originally refused to even use an thermometer but had quickly changed his mind when Silver Lining reminded him there were other places it could have been stuck to gauge a proper temperature.

He couldn't help but stare at the mare who was sitting ever so comfortably nearby,"Everything is fine with Ember, right? She did show some signs of hypothermia and she did receive a rather unpleasant smack to the side, so I hope her ribs have been fully checked. If so, you might want to recheck her.", he smiled somewhat sheepishly at the doctors, "To be sure.", Thankfully Emerath managed to get out of the catacombs without injury. He was wondering what gave him a second wind during their encounter with the catacomb monster. Pocket just said 'smoochies' and the usually laid-back pony sprung to life. Maybe the other stallion was thinking about a current or past mare-friend. He'll have to find out, at least later. The bucket of water was nice, along with the cloth, but he could have used a massage about now, but it probably would be treason to ask a princess for one. Yet another golden opportunity lost. He sighed.

"I just wonder what that shadow creature was. A shade of a lost griffon? Some magical creation gone rouge? I did feel somewhat sorry for it, all lost and alone in those catacombs, but we had to use strong emotions to battle it, thankfully the three of us were ready for such a challenge.", he beamed for a moment, "Wonder if we're the first ponies to ever face and defeat a big shadow monster?", he nodded his head as Commander Gale updated them on current events and kept quiet for a moment as the other were given a chance to speak.