Character ideas

kamerad

I know I haven't been very active recently, but I hope that's about to change. Partially this was my fault for choosing Trottingham as a city and basically chaining Dixie and Bonnie to it.

I've got another couple of ponies I've been tossing around in my head for a while (I'm pretty sure I played them in the chat RP--whose passing I lament--back in Decemberish, and I've played the Professor in the free-for-all forum). My new prospective characters are more free-roaming and should be able to take part in a wide variety of RPs. But before I submit applications for them, I'd like to ask how well-received they'd be, or if they'd be allowed at all.

On the one hoof, I have Professor Barding, who is a spoof of the turn of the century melodramatic villain. He's still a villainous character, but he's also a well-intentioned extremist, who views the subsumption of Equestria's pastel pastureland before the march of industry as a step forward. He's a passionate and emotional stallion, driven by his dreams.

On the other, I have Erma, his long-suffering assistant and love interest. She's a former aristobrat that was never really happy with her stuffy family, and loves to work with machines and play in the dirt. She was 'rescued' from her unhappy life when the Professor rolled through her city, peddling various gadgetry, whom she was enthralled by with his gizmos, his energy, and his representation of danger, newness and freedom.

Would these two be able to play in the mane RP section...or should I just keep them in free-form?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Villains are tricky. They're not out and out disallowed though. If you're going for a more humorous approach with this "spoof" it's likely to be easier. What it's important you avoid is any sort of violence, cruelty or anything that can be taken as mean spirited. Your character can be disrespectful, a law breaker or even just generally not a nice pony, but we're not crazy about ponies who actively harm other ponies because they're bad.

Sure, there are adventures from time to time, but most RPs focus on social interaction here. Your OCs should generally be fun to interact with socially. It's important you remember that.

That said, until we see the apps, we can't tell you firmly that what you plan will be alright for the RP or not.

Oh, no, neither are evil for evil's sake. Barding is inconsiderate and egotistical, but he's fully convinced that he's bettering society by advocating the things he does. Erma is fully convinced the Professor is right, too, but she's a lot nicer.

Both are supposed to be lovably ineffectual rogues, not ponies who are pointlessly cruel.

I'll try to work on some apps. :)

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2