A Nature Expedition (QueenChrysalis747 and TheInvisiblePony)

TheInvisiblePony

Following closely behind Darkness, the mare didn't quite get a good look at the statue until after the pegasus had made his statement. Stopping beside him, Fantasy looked up at the vaguely technological hill and was just as amazed as she went back to adventurer mode. It was indeed a statue of the mare on the moon, which showed an almost fanatic devotion of whoever made it.

That said, Fantasy stared at it for a good while, attempting to take in every detail. The statue was tremendously well sculpted, or at least appeared to be, and the gears looked almost intertwined with the rocks. Fantasy wondered if they were supposed to do anything, when looking around the room, she noticed a small little lever, just rusted and dull enough to camouflage itself near the door. Caught up in the moment, the mare did what any reasonable pony would do upon finding a switch in a shrine dedicated to something that technically wasn't around anymore.

She pulled it of course!

In a matter of moments, the gears creaked and despite any wear and tear they may have had, they seemed to work well enough. Eventually, as the gears spiraled up the mountain to the statue, it began to turn until... nothing happened. [colour=#800080]"Well that's disappointing. Darn thing must be jammed. Stay here a moment, I'll go see what exactly is the problem"[/colour]

With a few awkward hops as she got used to the terrain, Fantasy made it up about halfway up the hill when there was a large noise, as if something jamming the gears just snapped, and the gears started turning again. This included the one Fantasy was standing on currently. She stumbled backwards out of surprise, and scratched her hoof on the gear as she regained her balanced. She winced in pain, and glanced upwards at the statue, which was doing very little besides turning in circles.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Get of there!" he called out and took to the air as he grabbed her and hauled her back to the ground around the statue, "What ae you nuts!" he cried out to her, "You could have been hurt," then he notices the little scratch, "Ok you could have been seriously hurt, and there are no doctors around or nothing, oh then what!?" he seemed to be at a bit of a break down as he stared at her and then just sat and stared at the ground, "sorry," he said quietly as he shuffled a hoof.

It all happened fairly quickly, as Fantasy began to turn around to listen to Darkness' shout, then suddenly she was hoisted into the air by the pegasus. The flight lasted about as long as it started, and fairly quickly the caught-off-guard Fantasy listened to the stallion's, well, Fantasy didn't quite know what to call it. She listened, just a bit stunned by the intensity of it all, and didn't say much. When Darkness sat down, she took a minute to collect her thoughts, not knowing quite what to say. (then again, this wouldn't be the first time)

[colour=#800080]"Well, erm... I guess I didn't really think that through. I suppose if one visits enough old ruins, one just kind of leaps before one looks. I don't think you should be the apologizing though. I really didn't mean to worry you."[/colour]

She took a second pause to stare at her cut. Somewhere inside her mind her story loving persona practically wanted to scream 'Tis but a flesh wound!', and while it was more or less true, that probably wouldn't be appropriate at the moment. Especially after Darkness' unexpected swooping. She tried to think of some reason why he'd be that concerned, but she did realize stumbling backwards on a hill did probably look mildly concerning. Feeling some leftover confidence, she ventured a joke.

[colour=#800080]"So, I don't suppose you'd like to give the statue a closer look? I've already been acquainted with the hill its on..."[/colour]

"I..I really don't wanna explore more," he said looking at her, "Someone might get hurt again," though it seemed a general sentence, behind the words one could closely tell he had some deep concern for her. But why he had this concern and what caused it couldn't be determined, but it was there and vivid.

Fantasy stared at Darkness for a brief moment, confused as to why he want to call it quits for a moment or two. Course, if he didn't want to explore, it would be almost mean if she continued egging him on, especially after the concern he showed. She looked back up to the statue for one brief last look, then spoke. [colour=#800080]"Alright then. Shall we head back outside, or backtrack to the library?"[/colour]

While going through her chit-chat, she walked over to the lever and turned it back off. No sense in letting it run, especially after the trouble it caused. In a few steps, she was where she started, that is to say, next to Darkness.

Fantasy nodded, and quickly met Darkness' pace. She was somewhat happier as they started heading back, for merely the mention of books seemed uplifting. Rather shallow perhaps, but anything that lifts the spirits shouldn't be considered negative. She didn't have much time to reflect, as the trip back to the 2nd room hadn't actually taken much time. Reintroduced to the desk and the shelves of various tomes, Fantasy stopped and faced the pegasus, figuring she should be somewhat direct about a couple of her thoughts. If she minded her tactfulness, there would be little harm in it

[colour=#800080]"Something has been piquing my thoughts regarding your swooping back there, now that I think about it. It seemed somewhat... out of character, if you will. Thing is, nopony makes that sudden of a move while breaking character. Not on a reflex anyways. So, the thing is, I think I learned more about you back there than this entire, oh, let's call it an adventure for now. I can certainly respect anypony who can act that quickly, so it would seem that you've more than earned yours."[/colour]

She paused, hoping that didn't come across as slightly pompous. It wasn't of course, but things could be so hard to phrase just right, it could be difficult to tell often enough. She walked over to the desk (which she had payed very little attention too the last time through) and faced the pegasus. She wasn't quite nervous anymore. It could be dreadfully tiring being shy to just one person, as she learned in her youth.

Darkness was best red as she was speaking, he was almost positive she knew how much he liked her. But then she turned the subject entirely around to respect, but the blush remained. He coughed and looked down and away as he shuffled a hoof, "Um yeah, thanks," he said he couldn't look at her right now and stated at the dirt covered floor:

"Nonononono... I said something wrong, didn't I? By Discord's chocolate rain, I should think I could hold a conversation better given all those books I've read" Fantasy panicked slightly as Darkness blushed and looked at the floor. He looked rather embarrassed more than anything, which bothered the unicorn much more than she was willing to admit. She reflected on what she said, but she couldn't find any particular reason it should upset the pegasus as it did. She hadn't said anything rude, she hadn't implied anything in the slightest, she just didn't know what went wrong. And yet, she had to do something, as it just seemed wrong to have been the one to cause him any grief. "Well, perhaps now should be time to take a more classical approach, seeing as how winging it didn't work."

Fantasy paused in thought, as she thought of just what the classical approach was. She strained her memory, before coming up with something she reasoned would provide an apology, or support, or something along those lines. [colour=#800080]"No, please don't be upset! You shouldn't have too here. Remember what I had said before we entered? 'Birds of a feather and all that' I believe it was. If you go and get upset by something I said, well, that just doesn't seem right. Besides, I like you much better when you're happier." [/colour]She closed her eyes as she ventured this little shot in the dark. It could either make things better, or much, much worse. She hoped deeply for the former.

"I..I'm not upset," he stammered out and shuffled a hoof, he tried to gather his words but he couldn't. He closed his eyes, "I..I've ju..just never be..been alone so...so long with a be..beautiful mare," he managed to choke out and looked away as if expecting a hit or rude insult. He remembered when he tried to tell his parents how great they were, they always put him down, how could he even be sure what love was anymore?

Fantasy was stunned. She was just thinking she was overreacting when she thought Darkness was upset, when he continued. She was, in all sense of the term, rather speechless. She stood there, and slowly, her face flushed from her own surprise. Every time she seemed to be getting a handle on the situation, the story changed, for better or for worse. This was most likely for better, if only she could get used to the situation enough to think of something, anything, to say. It took a few more moments (or seconds, or maybe about a minute. She didn't really know) before she broke the silence.

[colour=#800080]"Thank you." [/colour]

Sure, it was quiet, nervous, and altogether shy, but she spoke with sincerity. Fantasy might not have thought about it, but she rarely got into these kind of situations because, after all, she was a traveler by profession. She never stayed in any one place long for much of anything besides exploring. She ventured a glance towards Darkness, only to notice he was looking away. The silence continued on past the brief interruption.

"So.." he said as he looked toward her still beat red, "...Wh...what now?" he asked her with a smile as he sat. Thinking about how she thanked him was good, it was a start, not that it would get anywhere. To Darkness that was enough for now, he just met her, and also how could he be sure he felt love now, so many years without it:

Fantasy kicked her hoof, as she tried to think about Darkness' question. She was starting to get used to the situation again, and she began to feel more calm. Sure, she was still nervous, but she could certainly form thoughts more than a simple answer. [colour=#800080]"I... have no idea."[/colour] It was more or less true, she was out of her element. Well, her element was exploring, and they were still in the ruins so she was kind of in her element, but not at the moment. She felt as thought she should venture some sort of a guess, though, so she took a shot in the dark.

[colour=#800080]"Although, perhaps we should get back to talking. I mean, nothing could go terribly wrong if we just talk."[/colour] That was actually a favorable idea, she realized. A slower paced conversation could give Fantasy a bit more time to work this out. She really did like Darkness, but she had no intention of ruining anything, which she somewhat feared doing. Fantasy was reminded of all of the social mazes in Canterlot, only she had no desire to try and navigate those.

"um yeah..sure," Darkness smiled at her and grinned, "Well I won, still dunno how, last time so you shall start," he said then thought, "or this time no game?" he asked still trying to understand this mare.

Fantasy grinned in turn with Darkness. [colour=#800080]"No game? Where's the fun in that?"[/colour] She said lightheartedly. The pegasus certainly lifted the mood fairly quickly. Fantasy reflected this briefly before returning attention to the second round again. She adjusted her hat so it was straightened out, then placed her hoof on her chin as she thought of a question (she felt a twinge of pain as she forgot about her cut, but she hid any reaction. No point in dwelling on it, she reasoned). She already had a brief idea of Darkness' past, but she didn't know a terrible amount of specifics, so she reasoned that was where she would focus her attention.

"Let's see, what in Celestia's love of cake could I ask?" She mused the thought as she glanced at Darkness, when an idea occurred to her. [colour=#800080]"I do believe I've got one to kick us off. Your cutie mark seems to have been well earned, so what great feat must you have accomplished to earn something so helpful?" [/colour]She looked at him with a head tilted slightly in curiosity as she awaited an answer.

"Oh that story," he said as he seemed a bit down hearted about it, "Well basically my family was having a picnic and a storm rolled in, light ing struck down a tree and me and my brother were blocked from the rest of the family. I just used the stars and what not to guide both of us safety out of the dark woods to safety," he smiled a bit, "How about you?"

Fantasy nodded as Darkness explained his story. She didn't quite get why he was a little down about about it, but she didn't pry, mainly because before she could interject, Darkness asked his own question. She thought back to her own cutie mark story, and smiled fondly. [colour=#800080]"Now that's a good tale. I suppose I'll give you the more paraphrased version, as the full one still confuses me a little. Anyways, when I was living in Canterlot, I got wind of an field trip to some ruins for the University of Magic. For obvious reasons,"[/colour] She tapped her forehead, to emphasize her lack of horn. [colour=#800080]"I couldn't go. But that just wouldn't work, now would it? After all, a trip to ruins, that would be a chance to live out a story of my own. Normally, that wouldn't be too special, but I just happened to have spent a childhood reading stories, and I desperately wanted to have one about me."[/colour]

She paused for half a moment, for both dramatic effect and to form out the next part of the story. [colour=#800080]"So, I got myself a snazzy hat,"[/colour] She tugged on the brim of the hat she was wearing at the moment, [colour=#800080]"to hide my lack of magic, and I went anyways. And it was amazing! That was the moment I realized that traveling throughout Equestria was indeed my calling. You could call it a benefit of the business that I get to uncover so many interesting tales along the way."[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"But anyways, its my turn again. You say you have a brother whom you haven't mentioned yet. I'm a bit curious to know your opinion of him. Call it my natural envy of your sibling, but it does seem interesting that you haven't spoken of him earlier."[/colour]

"he..he is a Unicorn," Darkness sighed, "As is my family, I am a sole Pegasus," he closed his eyes, "So much hatred, all of them hat me," he looked at her with deep deep sorrow, "I have no family, they threw me out and rejected me," he hung his head and sat, deflated and not sure what to say.

"Oh dear, what should I say?" Fantasy felt a twinge of guilt as she listened to Darkness. She probably could have thought of a more tactful question, but now this had happened. She sighed mentally, wondering why this was so hard. No matter, she couldn't seem to bear seeing him saddened, so Fantasy took it upon herself to cheer the pegasus up.

[colour=#800080]"Well, your family certainly isn't here, so you shouldn't let them get you down. They might hate you, but I sure as hay don't."[/colour] She gave an attempt at a reassuring smile, but wasn't quite sure how it turned out. She practiced reassuring smiles so rarely because she never really had to reassure anypony, but she certainly tried. Fantasy began immediately thinking of something to change the subject to a happier note, but she couldn't quite think of anything at the moment.

He looked down and tried to think of anything, his mind was blurred by what she said, we was there for him. He didn't really think about what he was about to do but he didn't care, he needed it. He trotted slowly over to her and wrapped his front hooves around her and hugged her. "Thank you," he said to her, "No one has been so understanding and kind as you!" he sighed and let her go and stepped back and hung his head

Fantasy gave a surprised start as Darkness got up and hugged her. Well that certainly left a happier note in the room, she reasoned. The surprise was short lived, but that just left the realization that she had no idea what to do. She tried to give her own small little hug back, but it was much more short lived. When Darkness let go of the hug, and after he had spoken, Fantasy blushed slightly. She privately thanked Celestia that he had hung his head, because she unsure of whether her not the blushing would receive a good reception or not. Regardless, she spoke up.

[colour=#800080]"Think nothing of it. After all, you trusted me enough to share your story. I should thank you for that much trust in the first place."[/colour]

She shuffled her hoof, wondering when was the last time she was so afraid of misspeaking, or more adequately, why she was afraid of misspeaking in the first place. She guessed she just didn't want Darkness to feel as bad.

"yeah, thanks," Darkness sighed, "But it just sucks, after this fun an adventure we had what's gonna happen?" he looked at her not noticing her blush, "I mean, yeah I'm always in this forest, occasionally the Everfree, but never in Canterlot itself," he shook his head, "Anyway, your a free mare, you love to roam and explore, I only stay in these two small locations," he looked at her, "How can I be sure I will ever see you again?" h asked and sighed, "With my Luck you'll run into some big time Indimanea Jones and get married and happily adventure the land together," he sighed. He didn't even realize what he had just said then he went beat red, 'oh dear!'

(basically to a normal pony it is quite off when there first worry is your getting married and running off to never be seen again)

Fantasy responded by giving a funny look towards the pegasus. Her getting married? That was a rather drastic fear to jump to, not to mention it was a rather odd fear in the first place. She tried to maintain a silence, but a small chuckle escaped her throat, which she immediately stifled. Well, she tried to stifle it, and although it was a small chuckle, it was most certainly there especially with the lack of many other sounds in the ruinous library. She immediately felt a twinge of guilt. [colour=#800080]"I'm sorry, its just that, that's a kind of a strange thought. Indimanea Jones? You think much too highly of me."[/colour]

Off kilter thoughts aside, Darkness did give a very valid point that Fantasy herself was trying to ignore. She guessed that since the elephant in the room was being addressed, she should give the thought that they might not meet for a while some thought. She tried to maintain a positive tone of voice, that certainly helped more than people gave it credit for. [colour=#800080]"As for my travels, I'm sure I could think of someway to stay in contact."[/colour] In a much lower, more private tone, she added [colour=#800080]"I just don't know how yet..."[/colour]

"I can still hear you;" he sighed and sat hanging head, "just nevermind, it was a foolish thought that I would use such an important mate in my life except for Moonlite, I mean she is like a sister," he sighed, "It's not like I can go out with....erm" he froze, beat red, his secret was out, he was bucked.

Fantasy stared at Darkness, almost unsure of how to take that one. [colour=#800080]"O-oh."[/colour] Was about all she could manage to get out. What on earth was the pegasus talking about? She certainly hoped that it wasn't what she thought it was, but that didn't seem altogether likely. She shuffled her hooves a little as she glanced down, trying to avoid eye contact. Feeling rather awkward, she took a few steps backwards and attempted to, instinctively, blend into the corner again. Given that there was only one other pony in the room, that probably didn't get the same result it would have in a different situation.

Every second, something just seemed to happen that was worse off then the past moment. How was it that plain old adventuring turned out to be more friendly than an actual conversation? She tried stammering out another sentence, with much less success. [colour=#800080]"Erm... what, no, wait. I don't... may-maybe you, nononono. Oh Celestia."[/colour]