Tracking A Character's History

FermataTheBasse

Alright, so some canon character spots have opened up, and I'm thinking of apping for Spike (Celestia help me). Now, I understand the existing rules well enough. Keep it canon faithful but add your own plausible twists and style to the app and generally make it awesome but still practical. Going to be a challenge, but I accept eagerly.

What I want to know is, how much of the character must we keep in mind from the previous owner (Halide, in Spike's case)? Like, whatever the posts Halide made as Spike, must I elaborate on these in my app? Must I keep in mind the ideas he had in his app when making my own, so there isn't any jarring characterization changes between owners? So essentially, must I adapt my interpretation to both canon Spike and Halide's interpretation of Spike? Or is the slate wiped clean between owners? Or is it a bit of both? Any input from an RP Helper would be appreciated!

I didn't even look at the previous Rarity and Gilda players' apps or threads when I was awarded with them, so no you don't have to pay that any mind.

You may, however, be asked to continue threads where the previous user was active as the character (I have one thread that's lasted through three separate Raritys and two Scootaloos. :D), but do you have to play the character exactly like them? No, not necessarily.

Of course, that's not to say you can't learn the stuff if you want; for continuity sake, it's good. However, in my opinion, apping for a cast character should more be about your own personal take. Don't feel bound by what came before! :)

Thank you kindly, Phil! If anyone in those old threads PMs me, I'll be sure to get up to speed so I can keep up my duties (this is all assuming I get it). And I'll consider Halide's Spike but make sure to maintain my own flavor more.

Wait wait wait, that's a long lasting thread there... Dang!

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck. ;)

And yeah, that thread's been around for a while. Same Sweetie Belle through all of that at least though; Bramble Rose's commitment is truly commendable. :)

I will give you a hint -- we're not only interested in seeing how well you can play the character, but also how you can expand on him while still remaining faithful to the canon. We want to see your Spike and how you intend to play him. Strike that balance with skill and grace, and you'll have a head start above the other applications. This goes for any popular cast character that goes up for voting. Good luck!