[Manehattan] Manehattan Musical Expo (OPEN)

FermataTheBasse

[colour=#808080]"... Huh? What the hay did you two say?" [/colour][colour=#000000]Penumbra cocked her head, suddenly suspicious of why Bridge had made her cover her ears. She shot him a questioning, skeptical look, one eyebrow raised and eyes intently focused on his. [/colour]

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bridge was a little hesitant with his reply, [colour=#ff0000]“… well, I didn’t say anything much aside from asking about you being my security.”[/colour] He rubbed the back of his head with a hoof an uncomfortable expression on his face, [colour=#ff0000]“so, anything else or should we find somewhere to go look around?”[/colour] He was hoping she would except his answer and move on away from the topic.

He looked to a clock overhead. He still had several hours before he was needed for practice. A good bit of time to kill, he wondered if there was any place that served drinks at this expo.

[colour=#808080]"Hardly sounds like it was just that. Definitely didn't look like it was the case." [/colour][colour=#000000]Penumbra looked at Bridge with ire weighing her eyelids down, an impatient frown apparent. [/colour][colour=#808080]"You know, I don't have to take your offer. I could just go back to my post as if I'd never met you." [/colour][colour=#000000]Hay, she just wanted to know what had been said. What was so wrong about that? [/colour]

Bridge breathed out a heavy sigh. [colour=#ff0000] “Alright, alright, I’ll tell you.”[/colour] He took a quick breath and began took speak. He told the entirety of the conversation word for word; or at least as close as he remember, leaving out no parts. After he finished repeating the conversation he looked to Penumbra hoping for the best reaction but prepared for something as bad as getting smacked and having her storm off. Granted, he didn’t expect something like that from Penumbra but you never knew how ponies would react.

Penumbra shrugged. [colour=#808080]"That's it? Dude, I know I'm unattractive and useless. No need to defend me for it..." [/colour][colour=#000000]She smiled anyways, though. Again, it was nice when others stood up for her. [/colour][colour=#000000]And what was that bit about 'knowing what it was like to lose a loved one'? Penumbra knew better than to ask, so she just kept her mouth shut. [/colour][colour=#808080]"Thanks, Bridge. Seriously, it's rare that others try to stick up for me." [/colour][colour=#000000]Penumbra looked around the Expo hall, wondering what they would do now. [/colour][colour=#808080]"What do ya'll want to do, Bridge?"[/colour]

Bridge felt pretty stupid, [colour=#ff0000]“sorry. I don’t spend a lot of time around mares, and the ones I do tend to all act like divas.”[/colour] Penumbra wasn’t some mare he met at a club who thinks she’s all that, she’s a Weather pony; and in this case a security guard. [colour=#ff0000]“I guess I thought you’d take what your boss said a little too harsh. I really need to find other places to hang out at besides bars and clubs.”[/colour]

He smiled at Penumbra, [colour=#ff0000]“well I usually don’t get to see the places I perform at except for the stage so I guess we could go look around at all the booths and vendors for a while, if you’d like.”[/colour]

Ironically, Penumbra could act like a diva at the times when she was more tired than she was now. Well, to an extent. Normally, being a diva for Penumbra was less about being annoying to get attention and more about being annoying because she was actually really annoying when she was tired. She was ditzy, incoherent, and irritable. [colour=#808080]"Eh, everyone gets like that sometimes. You just have to find them on a good day. Or in some cases, a bad day." [/colour][colour=#000000]Penumbra started leading the two ponies into the convention proper, past the lobby and into the hallways where booths and vendors were set up- of all types, from music tech to services. [/colour][colour=#808080]"So you're one of the acts? Nice."[/colour]

Bridge gave a small chuckle, [colour=#ff0000]“I guess you’re right about that.”[/colour] He remembered back to when the band’s drummer and bassist had an argument. They refused to talk to each other for days; what they were arguing about wasn’t even that big of a deal.

He followed behind Penumbra eyes widening a bit at the number of booths. He rarely saw these areas of concerts so he never got used to it when they were really big. [colour=#ff0000]“Yeah, our record label wanted to get us a bit more attention since we’ll touring in Canterlot in a couple months.”[/colour] He smiled as a thought popped into his head,[colour=#ff0000] “maybe I’ll see you there and we could hang out at the party they’ll be throwing.”[/colour]

[colour=#808080]"You've got a record deal? Dude, nice!" [/colour][colour=#000000]As far as Penumbra knew, there was a shortage of production that was open for new artists in Equestria. That made the game harder to break into. She figured she'd have to ask Bridge for a sample of his music la-... wait, she could watch his concert. Eh, she must have gotten less sleep than she thought she had. Darn, there were a lot of ponies around. Penumbra was getting jostled around a bit, found it hard to move between the crowds. [/colour][colour=#808080]"That- that sounds good! Argh, lot of ponies in here, ain't there?"[/colour]

Bridge nodded as he maneuvered through ponies trying to stay with Penumbra. [colour=#ff0000]“Yeah, I was lucky enough to find a bunch of other good musicians and be noticed by the right ponies.”[/colour] He side-stepped out of the way to avoid getting knocked over by a group of ponies going the opposite direction and ended up bumping into Penumbra lightly, [colour=#ff0000]“sorry about that, it is pretty crowded.”[/colour]

He looked around for somewhere with less of a crowd. Eventually his eyes fell on a booth that had music playing along with a food vendor and a few tables. There were only a few ponies at it so he figured it would be an okay place to start. [colour=#ff0000]“Hey, why don’t we go sit over there and wait for the crowds to die down a little while we get a bite to eat?”[/colour] he said motioning to the booth with his head. He had also just realized that he hadn’t eaten anything at all today, thus confirm by a slight growl from his stomach.

[colour=#a9a9a9]"Hey, don't say it like that. I'm sure you were a big part of your own success. The way you're saying it, it sounds like you were just lucky." [/colour][colour=#000000]Penumbra didn't like attributing anything to the fates. Was it horribly bad luck that she was the way she was? Yup, pretty much. But did she care? She didn't want to be the mare who sat down and accepted her fate quietly. There was a stubborn fighter in Penumbra, and she refused Lady Luck at every turn. She shifted aside when Bridge bumped her. [/colour][colour=#a9a9a9]"Mmm, that's alright!" [/colour][colour=#000000]She looked at the vendor he was mentioning, mercifully free of the crowds. [/colour][colour=#a9a9a9]"Looks good. You sound pretty hungry too." [/colour][colour=#000000]She laughed when she heard his stomach growl, then began to make her way through the crowds towards the stall.[/colour]

Bridge nodded, [colour=#ff0000]“Well, there was a lot of work between me and the other members. I just figure if something good happens and somepony or something is responsible it couldn’t hurt to thank ‘em, maybe they’ll keep helping ya.”[/colour] He had learned from experience that hard work is what makes things happen; but if believing in luck gives people confidence, then all the better. He followed penumbra to the stall and sat down at one of the tables with Penumbra and waited for the waiter to arrive.

[colour=#ff0000]“So you live in Canterlot? Heard it’s a real nice place. I’ve only been there once and it was on tour so it was pretty much playing then packing back up.”[/colour] he put his hat on the back of his chair and let his hair fall down the rest of the way.

Penumbra found herself a bit jealous of Bridge's mane. It fell nicely, in contrast to her own perpetual bedhead. She directed a hoof towards her hair, trying to flatten it down a bit, hoping that didn't look vain. [colour=#808080]"It's really different around there. Society is very stratified, so there are levels between the classes of society. The rich are reallly rich and exclusive. And some ponies like me don't stand a chance." [/colour][colour=#000000]She had her friends, sure, but not many. Penumbra took a seat at the table across from Bridge, just as the waiter stallion arrived.[/colour]

[colour=#00ff00]"Hey there. What would you two like?" [/colour][colour=#000000]Penumbra nodded at Bridge, indicating he should take the order first.[/colour]

I guess it’s always a little bit the same wherever you go Bridge mentally said to his self. He looked towards Penumbra as the waiter asked for their order, seeing Penumbra motioning for him to order first he thought for a while considering his choices.

[colour=#ff0000]“Do you have any cheesy nachos?”[/colour] he asked hopeful for a yes.

[colour=#00ff00]"Mmhm. And you, miss?" [/colour]

[colour=#808080]"Just a soda." [/colour][colour=#000000]The waiter started to walk away. Penumbra turned back toward Bridge, interested. [/colour][colour=#808080]"So, are you on the road all the time? Or do you still live around some city in particular?"[/colour]

Bridge leaned back in his chair looking up as he spoke, [colour=#ff0000]“Well, I was born and raised in Hoofington, as of right now I don’t a have a permanent home. I’ve spent most of my off-time in hotels or out at a bar.”[/colour] He paused, thinking for a little, [colour=#ff0000]“… I guess I’ll find somewhere I want to live eventually, as of now there isn’t anything that’s made me want to settle down.”[/colour] He said shrugging his shoulders.

He looked at Penumbra curiously, [colour=#ff0000]“So, is there anywhere you want to live or is Canterlot your dream place?” [/colour]

Penumbra smirked. [colour=#808080]"Out at a bar, huh? Sounds exciting." [/colour][colour=#000000]She understood the idea of not wanting to settle down, she was too young herself to really think of truly settling down- even though she looked as old as heck- and she acted like a young and moderately wild mare when she had the energy to. So that was her prompt response to Bridge's question. [/colour][colour=#808080]"Uh, I honestly don't know yet. I look up to Princess Luna, because she reminds me of myself in a way. Frankly, that's why I went to Canterlot." [/colour][colour=#000000]Penumbra giggled. [/colour][colour=#808080]"Dumb, right? I dunno if I'd go anywhere. Possibly back to Cloudsdale? That's where I was born."[/colour]

Bridge gave a smile. She seemed nice, somepony he could actually go to clubs with and have a good time; I should invite her to one of the parties if things go well. [colour=#ff0000]“Yeah, it’s exciting alright… well unless you’re not into loud music or partying I guess.”[/colour] He gave a slight laugh at the end of his statement; he didn’t know that many ponies that didn’t like to party even occasionally.

Bridge chuckled with Penumbra, [colour=#ff0000]“I don’t see anything wrong with that, we all need somepony to look up to.”[/colour] He thought for a second remembering his tour schedule, [colour=#ff0000]“You were born in Cloudsdale? I’m playing a concert there in a month or two.”[/colour]

The waiter pony came back with their order, [colour=#ff0000]“thank you,”[/colour] he said to the waiter who only nodded in response and left their food at the table and went back to servicing the other customers.

Penumbra rolled her eyes. [colour=#808080]"Only ponies in the world who wouldn't be up for party every now and then would be the snooty elite of Canterlot. Same goes for the music, really." [/colour][colour=#000000]She laughed along with him, amused. She liked going out with her friends and partying in clubs, and apparently when she got tired enough she'd start heckling the aristocrats who passed by on the streets. Who needed to drink when they were dumb enough without it? [/colour][colour=#808080]"You, uh... engage in any 'vices' while out partying? Not trying to imply anything." [/colour][colour=#000000]Penumbra went on to answer his questions while he considered her own question:[/colour]

[colour=#808080]"True, true... Wait, how the hay did you play a concert in Cloudsdale? You're a unicorn, unless I'm more out of it than I thought I was." [/colour][colour=#000000]She shot a thanks after the waiter, took her soda in a hoof and sipped at it. [/colour]

Bridge nodded in agreement to her first statement, he was looking forward to seeing how she was at a party already. He gave a devious smile in response to the mare's question, [colour=#ff0000]“well I don’t take offense at all, especially since you could be implying a few things.”[/colour] His voice took on a suggestive tone making sure he got the point across, [colour=#ff0000]“I’m actually a bit interested in the types of ‘vices’ you’re thinking of. And to answer your question there are a few I rather enjoy, as long as no pony gets hurt.”[/colour]

He gave an understanding look as he explained, [colour=#ff0000]“I thought the record label was crazy too when they told me but after a lot of practice with a spell it wasn’t too hard to plan for. The gear’s gonna be a bit tricky but they’ve got some pegasi delivery team taking care of it so it won’t be a problem.”[/colour]

Penumbra raised an eyebrow. She hadn't meant anything like that. To be perfectly honest, she had assumed he'd assume what she had been assuming, nothing else. Perhaps she was a bit tired already, though she had gotten in a good day's and night's of sleep to make sure she'd be alert for her job which she now wasn't doing. [colour=#808080]"I was referring to drinking, that sort of thing." [/colour][colour=#000000]Penumbra giggled slightly. [/colour][colour=#808080]"What did you think I was trying to say, Bridge?" [/colour]

Bridge gave a blank stare as an awkward silence arose, [colour=#ff0000]“… Well, I believe I’ve made a pretty good fool of myself with that.”[/colour] This was Equestria after all, for most ponies that was probably the extent of their definition for a vice. [colour=#ff0000]“Like I said I’m up for most things so you could have meant anything really, I was just playin’ around.”[/colour] He said a little uncomfortably as he rubbed the back of his head, [colour=#ff0000]“heh, guess I got a little carried away.”[/colour]

There were two things Indie knew would be at this convention without a doubt. Music, which he loved, and large crowds of ponies, which he was terrified of. With a deep breath he dove in. I wonder if it's too late to perform... he thought to himself. He had his guitar with him, but right now all it was good for was looks and bumping the occasional stranger. There were as many ponies as he expected, and just as many familiar faces. That would be zero to clarify. Walking among the crowds he spotted the stage and found a seat pretty close. Maybe the music would start soon. A thought struck his subconscious What if this was somepony else's seat? What if he was sitting somewhere reserved for a band, or what if he wasn't where he was supposed to be? No one had told him. It wasn't his fault, right? Stop, he told himself, just breathe. Nopony cares if you sit here. Its just a seat. Relax and look for a band to come on. He turned to the stage and looked around for a oncoming performer.

((Uh, I kind of don't have anyone else here, I've already retired Wordplay from this thread. And no one else seems to be active here anymore. You're going to have to bump into us, Indie))

Penumbra snorted, nearly spat up her soda, started to laugh. She had to admit, she had caught him there, unintentionally but still. She shot him a raised eyebrow and a dark smirk, looking all the wilder between her unkempt appearance and this expression she chose to wear. [colour=#808080]"Hold up hold up." [/colour][colour=#000000]She questioned of him, [/colour][colour=#808080]"I have got to wonder, what the hay did you think I was trying to say, hrm?"[/colour]

In normal circumstances Bridge could have easily gotten himself out of this situation, unfortunately something was off with him today. With this, it only added to the mental panic he was in from the frustration of having said the wrong thing and his loss for words to save him. At this point any notion of a clever answer had been erased from his brain; he would probably be lucky to get a complete sentence out. [colour=#ff0000]“U-uhhh… I-I-I was. Er… I just… Wow I’m thirsty. Could you excuse me?”[/colour] he jerked up out of his chair and dashed over to a water fountain. He was hoping that his blushing; now apparent to him by his reflection in the water, wasn’t too noticeable.

[colour=#ff0000]“Ok ok… just calm down,”[/colour] he mumbled to himself,[colour=#ff0000] “… I’m in trouble.”[/colour] he finished drinking and walked back to his seat. Not one idea had come to him, granted he hadn’t even attempted to do so. He looked back to Penumbra thinking as hard as he could to say anything but only choking on his words. If she hadn’t notice his blushing she certainly did now. [colour=#ff0000]“O-ok…”[/colour] his voice slowly shrank in volume, not to the point where it was inaudible but noticeably quieter, [colour=#ff0000]“I guess I thought that you were meaning a different thing…[/colour] he looked down nervously.