[Manehattan] Manehattan Musical Expo (OPEN)

FermataTheBasse

((Try not to post too fast, please, since we have so many freaking people interested as is. One post a day would be ideal!))

There was a small cluster of buildings and they were right across the Galloping River from downtown Manehattan, affording them a great view of the skyline. The noise of the city- a noise humans would not be accustomed to as the noise of a big city since cars didn't exist in Equestria- blared its way across the river to dully beat on the walls of the complex. This was the rather drolly named Meadowlands Exposition Center, where pony gatherings of various sizes were held to all manner of interests, from the mundane annual Teaching Conference to far stranger beasts, like a recently popular fan-held convention about ponies that struck many as somewhat redundant considering the attendees were by and large ponies anyways.

Right now, the rather sizable lines forming outside the main hall of the expo center were primarily musicians. Some came with instruments, some with samples and mixtapes and demos, most were just there to listen to good music and possibly meet some big name musicians. The released line up for this year was full of less than popular names, but ponies were as a whole a tolerant crowd who loved to expand their tastes. The concerts were sure to draw crowds this year, in fact some of the attendees already inside the buildings were already making their way into the designated concert hall to hear the groups already doing their tuning and warm ups. Elsewhere in the building, crowds were already milling about the hallways, checking out booths and vendors and workshops that were already running. The sun had only just peeked it's head over the first day of Manehattan Musical Expo, but it was already booming with activity.

Back in line, the lines were being efficiently run. Prepared in advance for this amount of attendees, the planners for the convention had hired sufficient staff to man at least twelve lines worth of ticketing, and each line was moving fast enough as it was. Thus, ponies would barely have the time to chat with their neighbors in the ticketing lines for a bit before they were ushered into the events center. At the many doors that opened into the convention hall, red line dividers and ponies in yellow security jackets stood guard. One of them, a certain Penumbra Dewdrop, yawned slightly as she scanned over a tall fillies ticket.

"You're good. Go on in."

"Thank you, my good woman." The filly, eyes hidden by shades, bobbed past Penumbra. Penumbra yawned slightly and rubbed the grit from her eyes with a hoof. She was in Manehattan on weather business, but the want for a few extra spending bits had inspired her to apply as a security guard for the Expo. Of course, it would be less than ideal to fall asleep on the job, so she had slept most of the day before so as to be ready for the long day ahead of her. She smiled at the next attendee.

"Ticket?"

In the crowded Expo hall, Wordplay, the shades-toting filly, slowly magicked off her shades as she stared with eyes slightly widened in awe. The entry hall alone was enormous, with what had to be a few hundred mares and stallions intermingling in an eye-watering clash of coat colors. The noise of their conversations was a virtual choir, to say nothing of the actual choir singing classical numbers to welcome ponies into the convention. Wordplay nodded in approval of their harmonies, thinking that she could possibly ask for a sample later on. There were no vendors or booths, those being in adjoining chambers and halls. To Wordplay's far left, the twang of a tuning guitar echoed from a huge row of double doors; that had to be the actual concert hall.

Wordplay nestled her shades through her hair, then began tapping her hoof in wonder. There were so many places to start. A workshop? Catch the start of the concerts? Start mingling? Wordplay had gone through the extra effort of putting on a bit of makeup, her eyelashes were curled to effect and she wore eyeshadow in a pale blue tone to compliment her gray coat. This was her first convention, if she met the right ponies it would do her very much good to look professionally done up. She glanced around, then began trotting through the crowd.

A low, bass voice echoed through the room, perhaps magically or technologically enhanced by it's unseen issuer:

"Everypony, welcome to the third annual Manehattan Musical Expo!"

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bridge Breaker awoke to an extremely messy hotel room, looking around he saw several unfamiliar ponies that must have been from the party last night. Looking around he could see the damages of last night bringing back his memory bit by bit, looking to his night stand he saw a bottle of liquid. Suddenly aware of how dry his throat was he reached over to the bottle and began to chug the contents, ‘whatever it is, it’s good… that was one hack of a party me and the band must’ve gone crazy.’ At this he spat out the drink, “THE BAND!!!” he had just realized that he was supposed to be at the concert. In a panicked daze he search for the band members and his gear throwing his self out of the bed and tripping to the ground. “Ooowwww!!!” looking up he saw his guitar in its rack, there was a not on it. ‘got up early meet you at the expo.’

Breathing out a sigh of relief he got his things together. After a quick shower he throws on his black vest and opens the curtains temporarily blinding his self. Quickly throwing on his aviators to compensate he straps his guitar on and picks up a solid black cowboy hat. Adjusting it on his head with magic in front of a mirror he says under his breath, “It’s gonna be a long day.” With that he walks out the door and makes his way to the expo center.

Thankfully, the expo had barely even begun to start so he had some time before practice even began. ‘Alright, so the back entrance is around here all I need to do is avoid the crowd an-…’ a thought popped into his head, if he went through the front he could have a bit of fun and maybe get the crowd pumped up even before the concert began. With that he was decided he would make his way through the front, meet up with the band, and then look around.

Timbre Swing was already hanging around the musician's only area at the back. A couple recent stunts had put him in the public eye (such as an impromptu duet with the very famous Sapphire Shores in the middle of a Canterlot park one evening, which caught the eye of a reporter in the audience), and he didn't really want to get mobbed by a suddenly inflated fanbase.

It wasn't that he didn't like fans, it's just he didn't want to distract anypony from the acts ahead of him. He had time to wait, and watch the stage from the wings. The first act appeared to be a multi-pony band...that was missing some members. A great start.

Timbre was ready. Stage fright never really existed for him. His contrebasse was setup next to the stairs onto the stage, his black fedora sat firmly on his head, and a Black Stallian, his usual pre-show companion (not because he liked to go on stage inebriated, but because it had started as a little tradition and now he'd kept it) floated in a small glass next to him. He wasn't quite sure if Manehattan was ready for a swing musician yet, but he hoped they were, because he was ready to go, and get the crowd up and on their hooves, dancing. Hopefully.

That was the plan, at least.

He sipped his drink and watched the other musicians milling about the back, just casually taking in the sights.

Heart Song entered the convention with an equal mix of excitement and trepidation. She’d always wanted to come to a Music Expo—but her teachers had frowned upon it during her classical training in Canterlot, and for two years afterward she’d been…busy. But now she was here, and the pale-pink earth pony was drinking it in, head turning this way and that, trying to decide what to do first. She hadn’t had time to prepare a booth, having been preoccupied with a recent move, but she was hoping word-of-mouth advertisement would work.

Though the demand for voice lessons hasn’t been all that high recently…I may need to branch out, soon.

Heart lingered by the choir, eyes closed, chin slightly raised, ears practically vibrating as the sound washed over her. She enjoyed many genres—but she had a soft spot for the traditional sound of a full choir, with its rich harmonies and soaring melodies. “There’s just nothing quite like it…” Heart muttered softly, almost absently.

Freeflight was in a really good mood today, he had every reason to be. His album would drop in about a month and here he was at the music expo for FREE, Di-Mond-Fella Records handled all of his expenses for this one with the only catch being that he wear products labels "artists only" attire. It was less to promote him and more to promote the label and let any hopefuls know that Di-Mond-Fella had eyes in the crowd. He didn't really care though; free food, free clothes, and free entertainment for as long as the event was held and he didn't even have to perform! The cynogriffin chuckled into his talons at the though, but quickly he regained his composure.

He brushed nothing off of the shoulder of his mint and green Di-Mond-Fella Records hoodie. Directly under the embezzled, mint wording were the words talent agent. A long white-gold chain hung from around his neck, the chain was connected to a large medallion with sparkling diamonds situated around it and one large emerald in the center. The bright lights of the expo hall stung his sensitive eyes so he reached into the pocket of his hoodie and pulled out his aviator sunglasses. He kind of wished he could have his cane or top hat with him, he just felt so naked without them, but he knew dang well that the didn't match this outfit.

With his access he could go anywhere he wanted, so Freeflight took the obvious choice...Roam around with no real purpose. If something caught his eye he would stop and look and if an artist caught his eye he would talk to them.

((Let's try to spread out, make sure everyone who's posted so far is involved. RP die when people are ignored. Yes I am giving you all OOC instructions. Consider them directives from the heavens.))

Wordplay was naturally drawn to the choir; given that it was both the loudest entity in the hall and that it was pretty darn good, this was more or less inevitable. The sopranos had rich voices and hit all their incredibly high notes perfectly, the altos and tenors blended perfectly, the basses were as deep and powerful as the most expensive woofers. Wordplay had no formal vocal training- her voice was quite thin and unpretty- so she recognized none of what was happening before her technically. But for it's sheer sound, it's sheer beauty alone, she could appreciate it. Again, she thought of asking them to allow her to sample them. A choir would make a funky sound for a beat, and she could run out real quick and grab her sampler from the hotel...

The choir was singing in a language Wordplay didn't know, but a childhood spent freestyling had taught her to be able to instinctively comprehend the diction of any song. It was incredibly important for Wordplay that she perfectly understand her freestyle opponent, so that she could make sarcastic references to some of their rhymes when she was back on. But it also had it's uses here. She sung quietly, trailing after the choir's number for a bit, in her underdeveloped voice:

[colour=#40e0d0]"Caro mio ben, credimial men, senza di te..." [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay trailed off, then she overheard something and turned to the speaker without a thought.[/colour]

[colour=#4b0082]"There's just nothing quite like it..."[/colour]

[colour=#40e0d0]"Ain't that the gospel truth?" [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay looked directly into the older mare's eyes, her sea green eyes meeting her counterpart's own blue eyes. Continuing on casually, [/colour][colour=#40e0d0]"Don't mind if I ask what brings you here? Rock? Pop? Dubstep?" [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay knew better than to say rap. Rap was a fringe art in Equestria.[/colour]

Heart jumped a little, then smiled apologetically. She nodded eagerly at the other mare. “I have to say choir was my favorite class, well, activity in school.” When asked what brought her here, Heart considered. “Sheer interest, I’d have to say. I was a performer for a few months, but I’m just a voice teacher now…”

With no students, the traitor voice inside her head whispered. “I never really kept to one genre; I judge each song on its own merits.” Her grin turned a little crooked, remembering the headache that had given her later teachers—only her first vocal instructor, in Ponyville, had understood. “How about you? I’m Heart Song, by the way, but you can call me Heart.”

The Filly Force Five members didn't make their way straight to the stage, instead they found a familiar comfort in surrounding themselves with those who were there to simply listen. Even the smallest bit of cult success was enough to make a pony start to think to much of themselves but that was something that they detested. Fame shouldn't be the measure of a pony's worth. Rabble, Vivre Vrai, JD, Plan B and Plaid Haze had already set their things up back stage ready to be shuffled out onto the stage for their the Manehattan part of their Equestria wide reunion tour. As they made their way in and out of the various crowds they took care to acknowledge any fans who happened upon them. Rabble and Vivre Vrai were deep in conversation as they attempted to set out who would be singing or playing lead.

The whole gig on their part was a bit of mess in it's current state. They hadn't put much thought into conjuring up a decent plan of attack for this show. Infact the only thing they had set in stone was their set-list. Given the whole reunion theme it seemed appropriate that they played some of their best songs from the early years and even flung in some from what their next album, So This Is Freedom? Plan B was keeping her eye out for any workshops our booths that caught her fancy, whilst Plaid Haze was scouting the Stallions. JD was busy trying to stay in the center of the pack far away from the hustle and bustle that surrounded them. Where to next was the question to bounced their lips to each others ears.

"No kidding? I don't have a choir in my school. Dunno why." Wordplay reflected over the debate that had raged in her school over the choir club, and how a large amount of ponies had actually been against it. Something about 'conflicting interests' with the jazz ensemble, whatever that meant. Wordplay had been more than sure that they had just been gerrymandering to draw attention to the other major issue on campus, the lack of lockers that could be opened by non-unicorns. In the political confusion, nopony had managed to get a choir into the school. "You should swing by my school and ask if they need a teacher. Cause we do." Wordplay raised an eyebrow slightly when she noticed the slight bend that Heart's mouth took on. She decided not to say anything, and moved on:

"Alright Heart, my name's Wordplay. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm here for-" ​Before Wordplay could give a self-deprecatory answer, she heard the cheering of ponies from the adjacent hall. A band must have started playing already. "Uh, you want to check that out Heart? Sounds like the concerts are beginning."

Timbre Swing downed what was left of the drink and set the glass back down on the refreshment table. The crowd of mingling musicians was starting to grow, and it was time to, well, mingle. See what he could see, talk to who he could. Maybe there'd be a mare he could flirt with. The muted-green unicorn trotted out into the crowd to see what was going on. A griffon of some type was walking about, two ponies off to one side were having a conversation, and members of a band were split up, milling about in their own way.

The griffon caught TImbre's eye, just as something interesting, so he walked over.

"Zat's quite zee necklace, mon ami," the fancy musician said with a chuckle. A little over the top, but still fairly interesting. "You are a...uh, performer, for zis? What is it zat you do?" he asked. He was curious to see what kind of music he would be putting his swing jazz up against.

Freeflight checked out a few booths and chatted with several artists and mares on the floor, the griffon even found a few talents that he thought might be worth signing. He lifted his shades and rubbed his eyes for a second before while he thought about what to do next. Before he could make up his mind, a tall, thin blue unicorn approached him.

"Thanks, I was a gift from mah record label," he said as he turned to his company. "Naw, I'm not performin', but ah am gettin' paid tah walk around and scout talent for Di-Mond-Fella Records." He turned around and pointed to the logo on the bad of his hoddie. "Well, ah'm a lyricist. Rap, metal, and rock iz what ah usually deal; Ah'm also a singer, guitarist, and keyboard player in the band Blackburn. What about you, ya gettin' on stage?"

Heart paused, considering. Choir teacher? She remembered choir class in Canterlot, and how eager she’d been to learn not just the mechanics of the sound, but the musical theory behind the style. It would be fun to pass on that love, but she had wanted some time to breath in Ponyville, first. Well, it never hurts to keep one’s options open… Heart started to ask “Which school?” but before she could get the words out, Wordplay began to answer her earlier question, then she, too, was interrupted.

“The concerts, eh? Why not? And what were you about to say?” The pale pink earth pony began to follow the sound to the main stage with the younger filly, not noticing the silvery-blue stallion just entering the expo, head whipping to and fro, as if looking for someone.

((Wait, who is that silvery-blue stallion exactly?))

"That I was here to bother ponies until someone heard one of my tracks?" Wordplay rolled her eyes. "As if, right?" The filly trotted alongside Heart, still scanning the crowd even while her ears absorbed the set that was currently playing on stage. Wasn't anything worth writing home about, at any rate, so she looked back to Heart. "So what do ya think of my offer? Obviously I can't guarantee anything, but our school is musically deprived."

((I think that would be Neon))

Bridge Breaker made his way through the crowd outside slowly making his way to the entrance, about half way through he heard a pony in the distance of the crowd shout out something. A few second later he could see many eyes turning to him as he walked forward a smile now on his face. ‘Five, four three, two…’ the crowd of ponies began to fill with noise and his personal space became almost non-existent.

None of this helped his head-ache, but he appreciated his fans still. He kept his smile and signed a few autographs as he maneuvered through the crowd finally making it to the front door where a dark blue Pegasus was taking tickets. “Excuse me, I’m performing today,” he said showing a VIP card given to him in advance.

((Sorry, he’s my other main OC, Thespian Thespony. I probably should’ve asked before introducing him, I don’t have to bring him in, if you don’t want me too.))

Heart smiled—she couldn’t help liking this confident, if self-depreciating unicorn filly. “Really? What genre?” Like Wordplay, Heart Song was not overly enthused about the current opening act—though she did understand the nerves and anxiety that went into being such an act—and she was glad to have an excuse to only half-listen. “It’s certainly worth considering…Which school is it, and in which city?” Heart’s face remained neutral, but an internal rhythm kicked in Please, not Canterlot… Anywhere but Canterlot!

((Feel free. An OOC thread warning would have been nice though.))

Wordplay shifted her eyes about conspiratorially, an obviously exaggerated motion. She leaned in and said in a low voice:

"Rap. I'm the one in a million filly who actually likes the genre, apparently." Wordplay didn't expect discrimination or the like, ponies were generally nicer than that, but she did expect at least a bit of confusion or trepidation regarding one of Equestria's lesser known art forms. The opening act was still plugging along, and the momentary silence that followed was made all the more awkward as a result. Wordplay coughed, slightly annoyed with herself for losing her own momentum. "Yeaaah, anyways. It's a school right here in Manehattan. Saint Mareson's, it's public but mostly for rich ponies." Wordplay shrugged. "Before you ask, my parents are kind of a big deal in this cities musical scene. I wouldn't be surprised if they've been to this Expo before I have."

------

Penumbra was unresponsive to a sudden shift in the crowds, a good chunk of them suddenly moving their attention away from whatever onto a specific stallion approaching her. Penumbra saw the current ticket owner off before turning to address the newcomer. She was about to brusquely tell him off, when she realized that she knew that face from somewhere. He had a VIP badge, which meant he was one of the acts. Perhaps he had performed in Canterlot before? Penumbra glanced between the card and Bridge's face, her curiosity piqued.

"Hello sir. Say, have you performed in Canterlot before?"

((Sorry.))

Heart titled her head to one side. I guess rap is gaining popularity…sort of. Scale Rhymes, one of her friends from her school days had wanted to be a rapper. Indeed, it was only a few months before graduation that most ponies in their circle had realized his parents had sent him to the art school to work on his piano skills! Though the cutie mark should have been a tip-off.“No kidding? How long have you been doing that?” Probably not the response Wordplay usually got, but three years of hanging out with Scale Rhymes had developed an interest in, if not all-out love for the genre.

“Manehatten?” Heart paused again, thinking rapidly. It was definitely something to think about. Her favorite aunt was a teacher in Manehatten, though not at Saint Mareson’s. It’d be nice to see her again, and I could probably spend summers in Ponyville... “I will definitely consider it, thanks for the suggestion.”

Wordplay mentioned her parents probably coming, and Heart nodded. “I’m half-surprised I haven’t run into any former school mates of mine…”

Thespian trotted from booth to booth, feeling an odd mix of hope and frustration. The theater season technically wasn’t over yet, but he was doing a few shows in Manehatten to take a break from the Canterlot scene. Truth be told, Manehattan’s better for the actor… Between shows, while he’d been fretting about wasting time when he had his first big lead on where Heart Song might be, he’d seen advertisements for the Music Expo.

He vividly remembered Heart expressing a desire to go the first year it was held, and, on the off-chance that she’d come, so had he. I just never knew it was so big! It was unlikely he’d ever be able to spot one somewhat-small earth pony in this crowd, but the possibility of being so near her was to tantalizing a prospect for him to leave now. Plus, I’ve paid for the ticket; I might as well get my money’s worth!

Bridge raised an eyebrow and closely examined the mare in front of him, “hmmm… you look kinda’ familiar, were you at a concert for a band called Colt Corral last year?” He had met a few mares at concerts but he was pretty sure she wasn’t one of them.

‘I got time, even if I don’t know her I can now,’ his smile grew a bit bigger at this thought. He always liked meeting fans and other musicians. If she was either, or neither, he could find something to talk about.

"Since I was a foal, more or less." Wordplay was pleasantly surprised that Heart didn't have a stronger reaction to her musical style. Perhaps she was being too self-discriminating, it wasn't like she was admitting interest in anything perverted. Wordplay scanned the hall idly, her eyes passing over all manner of brightly colored ponies, including a silvery-blue one who was trotting about as if looking for somepony. For some reason, he stood out to Wordplay. "You should totally consider it. Everyone will win, except for the people in my school fighting for their locker rights. They're just making noise, though." Wordplay did a slick little move, a sort of half jump half slide to turn around so that she'd be trotting backwards and facing Heart while they were speaking. It wasn't done to show off, Wordplay genuinely had little tics like that.

"You never know, they're probably around. Heck, he might be one of them." Wordplay pointed a hoof at the first stallion who came to mind, who was of course the distant Thespian.

-----

"If I was, I was probably half asleep..." Penumbra was silent for a moment before she realized how that would sound. "No, I mean, not in that way! I work late days often, so I generally don't have enough sleep."

Heart nodded slowly, liking the idea more and more. She relaxed almost imperceptibly, glad she had come to the expo, instead of giving in to the temptation to stay home and organize her stuff after the move. She wasn’t too thrown off by the sudden turn/backwards walk—her bother had many quirks and tics, so Heart understood.

Heart turned, looking the way Wordplay pointed, and froze. There was no doubt, Thes stood out in a crowd. Silvery-blue fur, a black mane with platinum streaks…quite the dramatic combination, and quite unique. Heart couldn’t see the stallion’s cutie mark, but she didn’t need to, she’d have known Thes anywhere.

Heart ducked her head, hoping the crowds would shield her, then wondered why that was her first instinct. After all, Thes was her…but seeing him reminded her of that painful time in Canterlot, at the climax of which she’d made her decision…until now, he hadn’t fully realized how it must have hurt him, and she couldn’t bear the idea of seeing him face-to-face.

“As a matter of fact, he is, but he’s not one I particularly want to see. Let’s keep moving.”

Thes paused for a moment, feeling an odd sensation. He couldn’t say why, but he turned in the direction of Wordplay and Heart, scanning the crowd. There! His heart rate instantly kicked up from ‘slow walk’ to ’90-yard gallop’ as he caught a glimpse of her. He suppressed his first instinct: to call out to her in front of everypony, and began firmly but politely working his way through the crowd towards her.

[colour=#ff0000]‘Ouch! This mare really knows how to tear a stallion down… I like her.’[/colour] He knew the mare had accidently insulted him but he figured he might as well have a bit of fun with it.

[colour=#FF0000]“I’ll be honest that was a solid blow to my pride. And by solid I mean rib-breaking solid.”[/colour] He said with a look of faked disappointment. [colour=#FF0000]“I guess you don’t know me. Oh well, my names bridge breaker what's yours?”[/colour]

Wordplay raised an eyebrow when Heart started ducking her head as if hiding from the stallion she'd pointed out. She was pretty amused by the idea that she'd managed to pick out one of Heart's fellow students at first point, but she didn't want to see him apparently. But he did, since Wordplay noticed him making his way through the crowds of ponies to where they were.

[colour=#40e0d0]​"He, uh, seems pretty intent on meeting you. Evasive maneuvers?" [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay's hooves idly clicked against the ground, ready to break into a gallop and or awesome gymnastics if need be. [/colour]

[colour=#000000]------[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Penumbra gritted her teeth to herself. Darn it, she had already said the wrong thing! Besides the obvious fact that it was unprofessional and she could be fired if he complained; Penumbra hadn't come to Manehattan to make herself even more of a social pariah than she was already. She scrambled to recover herself:[/colour]

[colour=#808080]"L-look, I didn't mean anything by it, I'm serious! I probably wasn't at the show anyways." [/colour][colour=#000000]She took a breath, hoping he wouldn't press the issue further. [/colour][colour=#808080]"Most ponies call me Penumbra. Pleasure to meet you, Bridge. I can call you that, right?"[/colour]

Freeflight checked out a few booths and chatted with several artists and mares on the floor, the griffon even found a few talents that he thought might be worth signing. He lifted his shades and rubbed his eyes for a second before while he thought about what to do next. Before he could make up his mind, a tall, thin blue unicorn approached him.

"Thanks, I was a gift from mah record label," he said as he turned to his company. "Naw, I'm not performin', but ah am gettin' paid tah walk around and scout talent for Di-Mond-Fella Records." He turned around and pointed to the logo on the bad of his hoddie. "Well, ah'm a lyricist. Rap, metal, and rock iz what ah usually deal; Ah'm also a singer, guitarist, and keyboard player in the band Blackburn. What about you, ya gettin' on stage?"

Timbre Swing nodded, looking at the logo on the hoodie. Di-Mond-Fella. Odd sounding name for a record, or well, any company, name. Still, the griffon was proud so the Fancy unicorn held his tongue.

"Sounds like you 'ave it raz'er easy, mon ami. At least for uh...today. I know 'ow 'ard it can be to write la musique." He chuckled a bit afterwards. He wrote a few of his own songs...he'd even challenged himself to write a few in Equestria to practice at the language.

"Moi? I am going on zee stage, yes. I am a swing musician...Not very well known...but uh, c'est la vie. Zat's life. I manage. I was...uh, 'oping zis concert 'elps get my name out zere, you know?"

Heart’s stomach clenched and her mind raced, but before she could answer Wordplay, Thes’s voice came ringing over the crowds. “Heart! Heart Song!”

It was as if his voice had turned her to stone. Shame and fear still roared in her mind, urging her constantly to flee, run away, not to face him; but something else, much deeper, begged her to stay, to wait for him. It was a voice she’d ignored before, but his time, there was no fight left in her.Tension draining, Heart met her new friend’s eyes with a fragile smile. “What’s the point? If he’s been looking for two and a half years, we’ll not lose him that easily.”

Thes couldn’t believe it. After all this time, he’d run into her more or less by accident! He made it past the last few ponies between them, and finally saw her face-to-face. “Heart! Celestia be praised, it really is you!”

Timbre Swing nodded, looking at the logo on the hoodie. Di-Mond-Fella. Odd sounding name for a record, or well, any company, name. Still, the griffon was proud so the Fancy unicorn held his tongue.

"Sounds like you 'ave it raz'er easy, mon ami. At least for uh...today. I know 'ow 'ard it can be to write la musique." He chuckled a bit afterwards. He wrote a few of his own songs...he'd even challenged himself to write a few in Equestria to practice at the language.

"Moi? I am going on zee stage, yes. I am a swing musician...Not very well known...but uh, c'est la vie. Zat's life. I manage. I was...uh, 'oping zis concert 'elps get my name out zere, you know?"

Freeflight snickered a little Timbre's comment. Such a simple phrase, yet so true. You'd be surprised by the number of ponies that try to claim that don't respect what he does "Your just writing words that rhyme" or "Your music is poisoning our foals". Sure he was writing words that rhyme most of the time, but the rhyme scheme is mostly artistic flare to make the music enjoyable to the ear. The true art was translating your feelings and experiences into the right words.

"Yeah, but Ah worked so hard to get here. Young as Ah am Ah don't think Ah'd be able tah appreciate times of reprieve like this witout lookin' back at where I came from." His face harden a little once what he said actually registered in his mind. "Sorry, Ah didn't mean tah slip intah philosophy or nothin'. Mah name's Pound Sterling, I go by the alias Freeflight when I perform." He extended his right hand for a friendly shake, It was always awkward shaking hands with ponies. They can't grip things in the traditional way, yet they can hold items with their hooves at times. Once, when Freeflight questioned how it was possible, a smart pony told him "it's magic we don't have to explain ****." And for the sake of his sanity he left it at that.

"Swing you say, don't here much of that 'round here. I look forward to gettin' some new flava' in mah ears." Freeflight had heard a few samples from swing music that other artists used to make beats or covered into rock songs but he'd never heard the pure unchanged sound of the genre. "Do good up there and a certain griffon can probably spread your name around, ya know, get some eyes on ya."