[Beakbreak City] Pawn Stars: Equestria (Open)

Bellosh

Tankena was delighted to hear about the sheet music from a famous griffin composer. She was also happy that Falco and Sierra were talking to her so freely.

[colour=#008000]"There is much you'd like about Stalliongradian music, Comrade Sierra. There is variety of styles, nice classical type music to the kind of music I play, LOUD and FAST! Comrade Falco, it was be big challenge to build musical instruments for dragons, but I LOVE challenges! It was not be possible to make piano dragon sized, but perhaps I could do something in the way of wind instruments that large. Key challenge is to match larger instrument's sound with its smaller counterpart. I could ask my old friend Professor Krashkop to help, he would love challenge as well! I like him, but he can't take his apple vodka well. But with him, you never know if he is drunk or not, some of the goofy things he says, but he is still nice old Pegasus."[/colour]

Tankena carefully examined some of the sheet music.

[colour=#008000]"I see you have nice selection, Comrade. Here are some I am interested in purchasing. One is book of piano tunes and one is book of old classical music. Dad will love that one. So far, I see none for balalaika, but that sheet music is rare. I will want to buy more music if I take on project to build dragon sized wind instrument. Harmonica could work, that would be simple. Something like tuba, trumpet or trombone could be bit more tricky. Comrade Sierra, do you have suggestion?"[/colour]

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2v2gp7a.jpg

Falco Kestrelson sure did like Tankena’s spirit. The green mare was no crazed adventurer to be sure, but she made up for that with a crazed innovative mind that didn’t back down from any challenge. [colour=#008000]“Haha, it sure looks like you’ve taken on quite the handful,”[/colour] the griffon jested; [colour=#008000]“When you finalize something, let me know; I just may have a place for it here somewhere, heh heh heh.”[/colour]

Shortly hereafter, it was down to business as the Stalliongrad pony listed what she was interested in purchasing. [colour=#008000]“Well, I’m afraid the last time we sold something including balalaika sheet music was quite a while ago,”[/colour] lamented Falco. It was a rare event indeed when he didn’t have something in stock that a customer wanted; [colour=#008000]“You’ll probably have a better chance digging through pawn shops local to your area, since that’s where balalaika players live and all. However, the stuff you've selected are all fine choices for sheet music!”[/colour] If Mr. Kestrelson didn’t have a desired item in his pawn shop, the very least he could do was point someone in the right direction.

Waiting for a moment before providing Tankena prices for the books she picked out, the pawn shop owner next turned in Sierra’s direction in anticipation of her response to Tankena’s query.....

[colour=#000000]Sierra laughed along as Tankena talked about actually making dragon sized instrument. She could just see the ridiculously oversized thing in her head. Some full-sized dragon sitting there playing it. It really seemed like a whimsical thought. She could hardly imagine the effort it would take to actually make such a thing though. That's why she was shocked when Tankena returned to the subject after looking at her sheet music and even turned to her for a suggestion. Her eyes went wide as she wasn't sure what to say for a moment.[/colour]

[colour=#cc99ff]"Wha...? You mean you're actually really considering doing this?"[/colour] [colour=#000000]Sierra asked, chuckling.[/colour] [colour=#cc99ff]"I'm not sure this is gonna be so practical regardless of the instrument. Most full grown dragons would probably rather just build their gem hordes, fly around and nap away several decades. Doubt you're gonna find one who's actually interested in learning to play an instrument."[/colour]

[colour=#cc99ff]"I mean, it would be a shame to waste time and resources on this when it won't really be serving a practical purpose,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said with an awkward smile. [/colour][colour=#cc99ff]"Unless the whole point is just to prove it can be done..."[/colour] [colour=#000000]she added through a sigh. That was probably it; wasn't it always with the inventor types like this? Sierra shook her head. She had never been able to get that train of thought. She had never cared for excess; a simple, unembellished life was favorable to her. Considering how dragons worked, that was probably why she was still so small even as she approached adulthood. [/colour]

[colour=#cc99ff]"If that's how it's gonna be, I guess you're gonna want to go for a more intricate instrument,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said shrugging.[/colour] [colour=#cc99ff]"Kinda hard to really say..."[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Da! I want to purchases these," [/colour]Tankena said as the green mare placed them on the counter as she looked back at Sierra. [colour=#008000]"I love a challenge, Comrade Sierra! Challenge is what I live for! That is why I built portable piano for ponies, because it was challenge! That is why I invented the cabinet I sold you. It is challenge to be presented with problem and then think of way to solve it! Sometimes I cannot come up with solution, like the time I tried to invent new mode of transportation when I was in University. Good thing I was working on it outside when the explosion took place! Professor Krashkop visit me in hospital every day till I recovered."[/colour]

2v2gp7a.jpg

[colour=#008000]“Pffft,”[/colour] Falco Kestrelson teasingly dismissed the aim of Tankena’s transportation project;[colour=#008000] “Who needs a new method of transportation when you’ve got WINGS!”[/colour] Making his point, Falco flexed his mighty griffon wings for all to see. Okay, so maybe not everyone was lucky enough to be born with wings the griffon admitted. But that still begged the question as to how the green mare could ever possibly hope to improve the art of travel in Equestria.

Speaking of the pony, Falco hovered over to the counter so he could commence his next commercial transaction. Taking a good look at each book of sheet music, the griffon declared; [colour=#008000]“Alright now, for the both of these total, it’ll cost ya’ thirty-two bits.”[/colour] Based on who wrote the sheet music, the books did have a little bit of value to them compared to the average song book. Of course, Mr. Kestrelson would have preferred his customers buying the more expensive items regardless.....

[colour=#008000]"I love a challenge, Comrade Sierra! Challenge is what I live for! That is why I built portable piano for ponies, because it was challenge! That is why I invented the cabinet I sold you. It is challenge to be presented with problem and then think of way to solve it! Sometimes I cannot come up with solution, like the time I tried to invent new mode of transportation when I was in University. Good thing I was working on it outside when the explosion took place! Professor Krashkop visit me in hospital every day till I recovered."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Sierra nodded at the pony, understanding a little more. From what Tankena was saying, really it boiled down essentially to what drove her to do what she did. it wasn't just about proving she it could be done... no it was about proving that she could do it. That was easier to respect and understand. It wasn't about the invention so much as it was about Tankena testing her mettle and proving herself. Really, wasn't that at the core of all things one did? For Sierra it at least was.[/colour]

[colour=#cc99ff]"Ah, I see. I got you there. Life should be about challenges. That's what every job I take is. I'm testing myself... my strength, my endurance, my ability to lead, my ability to survive and find success for not just me but for my clients,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]Sierra started with a healthy nod. [/colour][colour=#cc99ff]"I still think building a dragon sized horn is kinda silly, but I'd wager you'd find a lot who'd say the same about what I brave out there in the wilds."[/colour]

[colour=#008000]“Pffft, [/colour][colour=#008000]Who needs a new method of transportation when you’ve got WINGS!”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Falco chimed in suddenly, causing Sierra to laugh heartily. [/colour][colour=#000000]She stretched her own wings proudly.[/colour]

[colour=#cc99ff]"Ain't that the truth!"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said with a smile on her face.[/colour] [colour=#cc99ff]"There isn't anything that can top the feel of soaring through the sky on wing."[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Da! This is fair price!" [/colour]Tankena neighed as she took the bits from her bag and placed them on the counter. [colour=#008000]"You are good business griffin, Comrade Falco! I do love shopping here!"[/colour]

The green mare then turned to Sierra.

[colour=#008000]"You are both correct, when you have wings, you have transportation. But we Earth Ponies with no wings and no magic should have faster way to travel also, other than the train or airship. Perhaps someday, I perfect that as well as dragon sized musical instrument! Comrades! Shall we celebrate our new friendship with more Apple Vodka? Do not fear, Boris will not get another drop!"[/colour]

2v2gp7a.jpg

Hmmm... Falco Kestrelson guessed that maybe Tankena did have a point as far as earth ponies were concerned. Remembering that many ponies like the green mare lacked wings, the griffon supposed it was a worthwhile effort to develop a new form of transportation. Too bad Falco wouldn’t need such a device anytime soon.

At any rate, Tankena proved herself to be a most pleasant customer by not haggling over the price, especially after he purchased that expensive metal grandfather clock from her.. Inserting the bits into his pocket, Falco was up for one more refill; [colour=#008000]“I’ll have one last mug I suppose, but I’m afraid that’ll be all I can take.”[/colour] Mr. Kestrelson sure loved his drinks, but he also knew his limits.....

[colour=#008000]"You are both correct, when you have wings, you have transportation. But we Earth Ponies with no wings and no magic should have faster way to travel also, other than the train or airship. Perhaps someday, I perfect that as well as dragon sized musical instrument! Comrades! Shall we celebrate our new friendship with more Apple Vodka? Do not fear, Boris will not get another drop!"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Sierra nodded. Tankena did have a good point. Earth-bound ponies and her own wingless kin for that matter were at a disadvantage when it came to getting around. From the very first days she figured out how to fly she knew she had a distinct advantage over the unicorns in her family--none of which had an aptitude for teleportation--in terms of mobility. Maybe what this pony was trying for was worth it after all? Yeah. Sierra continued to nod.[/colour]

[colour=#008000]“I’ll have one last mug I suppose, but I’m afraid that’ll be all I can take.”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]The dragonness laughed, and gave a nod to her new griffon friend.[/colour] [colour=#cc99ff]"Yeah, I think I'll do the same,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said. [/colour][colour=#cc99ff]"Any more than that and I think the stuff will start to affect even a dragon."[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Very good, comrades!" [/colour]Tankena neighed, [colour=#008000]"we will share more drink together!"[/colour]

The green mare led her new friends back outside to her cart, where her dog Boris lay sleeping, snoring loud enough to shake windows.

[colour=#008000]"Pardon me one moment," [/colour]the Stalliongradian mare said as she gently rolled her sleeping husky dog over to reduce his snoring. [colour=#008000]"There! Now we share drink in peace and quiet!"[/colour]

Tankena quickly produced three new mugs, filled them with her special apple cider and then gave them to Falco and Sierra.

[colour=#008000]"A toast to friendship, comrades!" [/colour]she neighed, lifting her mug high in the air.

2v2gp7a.jpg

Led back outside by Tankena, Falco Kestrelson could feel the rumble in the air produced by Boris’s snoring. Why, not even the griffon’s sweet ole’ pops snored as loud as this mutt right here! Glancing over past the cart, Falco observed that his brother Harry was still doing a good job keeping a watch over the mare’s wagon.

Once Tankena quieted her dog down a little bit, she whipped up three more cider mugs and hoofed them over to the shop keeper and Sierra. Even though it didn’t seem likely now that the pony would buy a more expensive item, Mr. Kestrelson was unquestionably glad to have made her acquaintance. One of these days, he’d have to return the favour and take a visit over to Tankena’s workshop. For that matter, Falco would have to hang out with the adventuring dragoness more often as well.

With a mighty cheer, the griffon repeated the green-coated mare’s toast; [colour=#008000]“To friendship!!!”[/colour] Falco shouted as his raised mug joined Tankena’s.....

[colour=#cc99ff]"Yeah. To friendship," [/colour][colour=#000000]Sierra said, giving a nod and raising her own much.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]It was an odd act for her. Friends were not something she made particularly easily. She felt then that she had made two good ones though. She had made a good choice when she had decided to check out this particular shop, that much was for certain. As the toast ended, she sipped down the drink quickly and gave a nod. [/colour]

[colour=#cc99ff]"That really is good stuff,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said simply, still smiling some[/colour].

Tankena finished the action of the toast and then downed her mug in one fast gulp. Gulping her drink caused the green mare to stagger a bit and then shake her head to get her bearings back.

[colour=#008000]"AH!" [/colour]she shouted, [colour=#008000]"that is good batch! Keeps chill of cold away, yes?"[/colour]

The green Earth pony sat down and looked up at her two larger friends.

[colour=#008000]"So, comrades. what do you do for fun? I have only heard rumors of what griffins and dragons do to relax. Perhaps it is not so different from what ponies do." [/colour]

2v2gp7a.jpg

Following Tankena’s lead, Falco Kestrelson gulped down his mug in one swift stroke upon the toast’s completion. Sierra’s right; this was[/i[ good stuff! Falco felt a bit wobbly after he drank the apple vodka, but he straightened himself out to the best of his abilities.

[colour=#008000]“What I do for fun?”[/colour] the shop owner slightly slurred in response to the mare; [colour=#008000]“Let’s see now... I play poker, go target shooting with my crossbow, I play poker, I survive the perils of the wildness... hmmm, oh yeah, I play poker too!”[/colour] It's a good thing Falco didn't request any more of Tankena’s special drink.....

[colour=#008000]"So, comrades. what do you do for fun? I have only heard rumors of what griffins and dragons do to relax. Perhaps it is not so different from what ponies do." [/colour]

[colour=#008000]“What I do for fun? [/colour][colour=#008000]Let’s see now... I play poker, go target shooting with my crossbow, I play poker, I survive the perils of the wildness... hmmm, oh yeah, I play poker too!”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Sierra smiled at the question and gave a laugh at the first answer it got.[/colour] [colour=#cc99ff]"Heh. I suppose you must take plenty of trips down to the other side of the Ridge then!"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said with a chuckle. Las Pegasus, the southernmost city in the Roughrider Ridge was definitely the place where one could find the best scene for poker and other such games. Not a place Sierra had ever been want to spend much time in, but eh, if that was how he found his fun she could understand it.[/colour]

[colour=#cc99ff]"As for this dragon, I like a pretty modest life. Fun for me is doing the same sort of things I make my living on, getting out in the wilds and seeing what I can find. There's nothing better than getting out there and seeing everything I possibly can,"[/colour][colour=#000000] she said with a nod.[/colour] [colour=#cc99ff]"I also like take long flights and occasionally reading."[/colour]

[colour=#cc99ff]"Really I'm pretty open to most activities, I just hate being cooped up in tight spaces,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she concluded with a small shrug.[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Cards?" [/colour]Tankena asked with a note of joy in her voice. [colour=#008000]"I LOVE playing cards! We play poker in Stalliongrad a lot! But sadly, most of my fellow villagers will not permit me to play anymore. Is it MY fault I am so good at playing the game?"[/colour]

The green mare then turned to Sierra.

[colour=#008000]"You love reading, comrade? So do I! But I must ask, how do you find dragon sized books to read? Do you have unicorns use magic to make them big for you?"[/colour]

Tankena drank down one more mug of her 'special' cider before continuing to speak.

[colour=#008000]"Back in Stalliongrad, we play game called Hit Checkers, but it is only for the most stout and strong! Have either of you heard of this game?"[/colour]

2v2gp7a.jpg

[colour=#008000]“Haha, you got me there!”[/colour] Falco Kestrelson joked as Sierra correctly guessed that he made frequent trips to Las Pegasus; [colour=#008000]“You wouldn’t believe how much of a champ I am at poker. I’ve made it to tournament semi-finals like, five times! How about that?”[/colour] Falco nodded and winked as Tankena announced herself a good card player too; [colour=#008000]“Well Tank, I’ll have to judge for myself if you’re any good or not... if you get what I mean, heh heh heh.”[/colour]

The pawn shop owner tilted his head with the green mare mentioned a game called “Hit Checkers”. He heard of it a few times before, but he didn’t really know anything about the activity. [colour=#008000]“Say,”[/colour] Falco questioned; [colour=#008000]“I’ve heard of it once or twice, but what’s the game about exactly?”[/colour] Assuming Tankena was right, Hit Checkers sounded like something he’d wanted to learn more about.....

[colour=#008000]"Cards? [/colour][colour=#008000]I LOVE playing cards! We play poker in Stalliongrad a lot! But sadly, most of my fellow villagers will not permit me to play anymore. Is it MY fault I am so good at playing the game?"[/colour]

[colour=#008000]“Haha, you got me there! [/colour][colour=#008000]You wouldn’t believe how much of a champ I am at poker. I’ve made it to tournament semi-finals like, five times! How about that? [/colour][colour=#008000]Well Tank, I’ll have to judge for myself if you’re any good or not... if you get what I mean, heh heh heh.”[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Sierra laughed at the exchange. She had to wonder who was truly better of the two.[/colour] [colour=#cc99ff]"Heh. Hardly know the rules myself, but it would be eager to see which of you is truly better!"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she she said with a laugh.[/colour]

[colour=#cc99ff]"My money's on Falco,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she added teasingly. [/colour]

[colour=#008000]"You love reading, comrade? So do I! But I must ask, how do you find dragon sized books to read? Do you have unicorns use magic to make them big for you?"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]At these comments, Sierra gave the mare a flat look. Was she teasing her? it was kind of hard to tell with this mare.[/colour] [colour=#cc99ff]"Very funny..."[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said shaking her head.[/colour] [colour=#cc99ff]"But as I'm hardly taller than Falco here, I doubt a runt dragon like me would really need to go that far. Normal books are just fine."[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Back in Stalliongrad, we play game called Hit Checkers, but it is only for the most stout and strong! Have either of you heard of this game?"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]At this, Sierra just shook her head.[/colour] [colour=#cc99ff]"Nope. Never heard of it,"[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said.[/colour]

Tankena put her mug down and smiled at her new friends' interest in 'Hit Checkers.'

[colour=#008000]"Game is simple," [/colour]the green mare began to explain, [colour=#008000]"Hit Checkers plays like regular checkers with one difference. When your opponent jumps one of your piece, opponent gets to punch you in face with all their might! If one move takes out two checker pieces, TWO punches! And if you get a piece to last row to get 'Kinged', you get to bash opponent on head with club! That's called getting CROWNED! HA HA HA! Game ends when one player wins on the board, or earlier if one opponent falls to floor unconscious! It is fun game, but usually placed only between family or enemies. When I was young filly, I got knocked out of games many many times before I was able to outsmart opponents enough to avoid getting head bashed so much. Drinking lots of apple vodka during game helps!"[/colour]

2v2gp7a.jpg

[colour=#008000]“Ohhhh, that game,”[/colour] Falco Kestrelson dejectedly proclaimed as Tankena explained Hit Checkers. Upon further reflection, the griffon did remember seeing Stalliongrad residents play that game during a couple of his visits. Unfortunately though, Falco felt disappointed that Hit Checkers really did involve a game of checkers; drinks alone wouldn’t be enough to encourage him to play a mere board game.

[colour=#008000]“Well, I was never much of a checkers player,”[/colour] Mr. Kestrelson diplomatically replied again, scratching the back of his neck in the meantime; [colour=#008000]“And to be rather honest Tankena, I’ve drunk enough of your drink as it is. Just in case another customer drops by the pawn shop, I can’t appear all staggered beaten up! That’d be bad for business, hahaha.”[/colour] Falco loved a good challenge, but he knew himself well enough that now wasn’t the time for him to be playing a game as paradoxically extreme and boring as Hit Checkers.

However... [colour=#008000]"How about you, Sierra?"[/colour] Falco turned to the dragoness while giving her a playful jab; [colour=#008000]"You're not afraid of being punched by a little pony now, are you?" [/colour]

[colour=#000000]Sierra listened as the peculiar game was explained to her. Of all the ridiculous things... Weren't ponies supposed to be non-violent? Her kind were supposed to be the brutish and scary ones, right? She gave a long sigh and shook her head. Ponies could really be so confusing some times. [/colour]

[colour=#cc99ff]"Honestly... this is something ponies really do? I don't think even Hammer and his REA buddies would go for such a violent game..."[/colour] [colour=#000000]she said, shaking her head some more.[/colour]

[colour=#cc99ff]"And I'm certainly not gonna play. Wouldn't exactly be fair as I see it," [/colour][colour=#000000]Sierra said in a resigned voice.[/colour] [colour=#cc99ff]"I may be smaller than most dragons, but doesn't mean I'm weak... and I'm not like some of the other dragons my age who enjoy bullying others just because they're smaller or weaker."[/colour]

Tankena smiled as she heard the comments from her new friends.

[colour=#008000]"Comrades, I would never ask either of you to play Hit Checkers with me. First, we haven't had enough Apple Vodka for game and second, you are friends! Punching friends is no fun! And yes, Comrade Sierra, there are many customs in Stalliongrad that may seem strange. We work hard, we play even harder! I show you native dance now!" [/colour]Tankena neighed as she shook her husky dog awake. [colour=#008000]"Boris! I want to dance the Hakhop for new comrades! Get squeeze box and play for me!"[/colour]

The canine nodded, dragging out a box accordian with his teeth before positioning it on the floor of the cart as he began to 'squeeze' it up and down to play music. Then the happy green mare began her dance:

2v2gp7a.jpg

As he watched Tankena dance, Falco Kestrelson glimpsed from afar one of he regular customers walking towards Gems & Trinkets. For him, the party would have to be cut short for the time being; [colour=#008000]“Well folks, I’m afraid it’s back to the world of work for me. You two have fun now; once I close up the shop, we can have all the poker battles we want, hahahahaha. Take care!”[/colour] And like that, Falco returned inside his pawn shop as he awaited his regular. Of course, the griffon couldn't wait until later when his new buddies would come by later again.....

(OOC: this thread has had a very good run, but I'm going to put it on hold until another user wants to RP in my pawn shop. In the meantime, I'm up for continuing the story of Falco, Sierra, and Tankena in another RP, hehehe. :) )