7 members have voted

1. 1. What book should we start with?

• Carl Sagan : Cosmos
    • Diana Wynne Jones: Dark Lord of Derkholm
    • Suzanne Collins: The Hunger Games Trilogy
    • Dmitry Glukhovsky: Metro 2033
    • Rob Reid: Year Zero

Hey Guys!

I thought it would be fun to start a little book club where we all read the same book and then discuss it in-thread, to help us all broaden our horizons.

Titles for this round were crowdsourced from some of the members here, and are mostly sci-fi and fantasy novels (which I know for many of us is what we read anyway, but baby steps!). If you don't like this month's offerings, make sure to suggest something that we can use next month! Next round's book them is Biographies or Autobiographies, so make sure to make great suggestions! ;)

So, I'll close the poll on 12/1, announce the winner and then on 1/1/13 we'll start talking about the book! [colour=#ff0000]Note: I can not 100% judge the content of these books especially ones I have not read, so if you are a minor and your parents might have restrictions on what you read, please get their permission before doing so. None of these books are smut, but they might contain topics that are objectionable to some people. [/colour][colour=#000000]Most of them can be found at your local library.[/colour]

A little bit about the books (as far as a I can gather from online synopses, I have not read some of them):

• Cosmos: Is the companion to the 70's and 80's television show of the same name. It's about the nature of space and humans' role in the universe. I'm pretty sure you know who Carl Sagan is :)
  • Dark Lord of Derkholm is about a magical fantasy land...that is being exploited as a fantasy-cliche tourist destination for people from our world.
  • The Hunger Games is about life in a post-apocalyptic North America where teenagers are put into an arena by the government as a means of reminding the population who's in charge and the fallout from a group standing up to the policy.
  • Metro 2033 is another post-apocalyptic novel that takes place in Moscow and seems to involve the clashing of political ideals in newly formed colonies in the Metro stations after the end.
  • Year Zero is about how aliens universally can't make music...but humans can. So since 1967 they've been listening to our music...and just recently realized they owe humanity a MASSIVE copyright debt. (Sturmann's exact quote)

Upcoming rounds:

• 1/1/13: Biographies or Autobiographies.
  • 2/1/13 Steampunk fiction!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...