A Meeting of Estranged Minds (open)

OilWells

Oil Wells was wandering the streets of Manehatten in the cover of the night. He loved the way the buildings were lit up when it got dark out, the way the streets still buzzed with life without being crowded, and how the night air blew against his mane after a hard day at work. He took a deep breath and let out a sigh of pure satisfaction as he gazed up at the beautiful structures that stood ever so high, admiring the craft and time that went into each of them, mostly that of his own "Wells Kerosene and Supplies".

He took a turn and stepped into a restaurant, finding a spot back in a corner away from the majority of the other costumers. He didn't wish to eat anything, he just wanted to sit and watch. Sometimes he found other ponies, though a tad annoying up close, interesting to watch from a far. Their habits and ticks on display for him to study, their conversations were his to imagine, and he did it all from the safety of his own solitude. He sat in silence, sipping on his drink, just looking out into the mass of ponies.

Another night that calls for yet another night's wander... as the ash grey cloaked night dweller unknown as Dark Star, the pitch black yet white maned stallion being dubbed with this name since his days of emotional reckoning could be seen as a tiny figure compared to the building in Manehatten that he'd chosen to climb. As an Earth Pony, he is denied the luxury of flight, and the convenience of magic. With this, he had only his raw strength as a traveler that could take him for nearly half a thousand miles in one monotonous walk. Though of course, 'tis only a hyperbole... a pony could only wish for such travel with ease of five hundred, let alone a thousand miles. Yet, his limits seem not to occur to him, as he continues to use various aspects of the building, window frames as hoof holds, poles if any for a boost in height. Before he knew it, he finds himself at the very top... his shaded eyes scouring the rooftops and streets below. His view panning upward... his eyes meeting with the brightest angle of the enormous sphere in the far distance...

The moon, like any other night, is beautiful to him... just like the princess whom in which is responsible for its movement every night. A mare in which he has the utmost respect for... it's one of the reasons why he became a night dweller. Most ponies may not be outside at night when Luna shows the beauty in her magic, but that does not mean that Dark Star must be among such ponies... even if he is a minority. He pulls back the hood that conceals his eyes, a serious expression no longer sweeping his face... yet it still contains no smile. Just a simple trance-like stare at the moon as he expresses on the inside his deep appreciation for both the princess, and the moon that is her destined priority. It is then that he can't help but wonder... could he be the only one that does something like this? Save for the climbing bit?

Just then, his means for coming back down to ground level in a swift manner catches the corner of his eye, as he sees a wagon delivery of quite a sizable hay stack... most likely the raw material used for foods like hay fries and other means of usage. Of course... hay also tends to be quite plushy, especially in a large bundle. The stallion carefully times that in which will be quite risky... though he must not wait much longer, for his means of a quick get-down are gone, and he'll have to resort to the longer process of carefully climbing back down. Such a waste of time is hardly worth it...

In just an instant later of thought, after the black stallion raises the hood of his cloak once again, he finally attempts what could potentially be the ultimate leap of faith... his hooves springing his very being from the edge of the tall building. His body spread out as to reduce falling speed, but only somewhat. The speed in his fall causing him to associate such a powerful force behind him with the rage that drives him... for the most part. Speed and power is what sprawls from his anger, in this case, a power that will instantly kill him should he miss his target. He is almost tempted to scream... but his logical mind in the very least still remains... any sound from him and he might startle a few, if not many other ponies in town. As he nears the rear of the pony-driven wagon, he poses properly to brace for the upcoming impact.

A sudden sound is heard... as the workers of the wagon are startled out of their skins at the sound of a sudden splash of hay. Some of the material meant to be delivered blowing through the wind as Dark Star's landing caused quite the stir in the hay stack. In an instant, the workers' heads snap around, scared for even their own lives as to what might have found its way into their assigned goods. Even worse, they find a strange pony simply leaping out of the side of the wagon unscathed, but still slightly shaken by the sudden stop in motion. He literally stumbles as his hooves touch ground, causing him to tumble over, but only for an extremely short period of time. After a shaking of Dark Star's head, he begins to recover his senses once more... not even acknowledging the other two workers that had witnessed his impact. Several bits of hay in fact cover his body, mostly his cloak; nevertheless, he decides to pay the inside of the building he was just atop of a short visit.

Trotting casually inside, regardless of the bits and pieces of hay being blown by the wind, he pulls back once again the hood that conceals his sharp blue eyes. His white, somewhat messy mane and tail showing themselves with absolutely no shame. His cutie mark representing the darkness that practically scripts his entire body and destiny... a void filled with nothing less than that in which is bitter... at least, that's how he sees it so far. Like the previous pony to enter last, the black stallion also brings himself to yet another isolated area of tables. Of course, he could have resumed his stare out into the moonlit sky, but it seems his curiosity of the ways of Manehatten's urban fabled society claimed the better of him. Just what could be so great about it, anyway? Perhaps he'll find out on this very night... as he sits with a very obvious pondering disposition... not that he would expect anypony to be watching him either way; as he observes the social events string themselves out before his very eyes...

Oil Wells' eyes darted to the entrance as a new pony entered. He was struck with a sense of peculiarity as he saw the cloak, not such a common appearance in such an urban town, but he had seen stranger. As the hood pulled back he saw the dark coat and white mane shine against the moonlight the peaked through the windows. While the reveal removed a tad from the pony's mysteriousness, Oil's curiosity refused to subside as he watched the new pony find his own seat in another quiet corner of the establishment. By this point he had completely forgotten about the other patrons and was now focusing on the individual who seemed to have also taken up the act of pony watching.

Oil called over a staff member to his table. "Lad, do you see that pony over there? He wouldn't happen to be a regular here, would he?" The staff member just shook his head and continued to perform his duties. Why this pony? Why did he deserve so much of Oil's attention. He had seen ponies in cloaks before, such dark coats weren't uncommon, so what was it that drew his attention? Was it his aversion to interacting with others? Did Oil find himself somewhat sympathetic as he saw the pony sit by himself, away from the festivities? Maybe he was similar to Oil in that regard, roaming with a sense of being disconnected from the rest of the world, almost as if sitting on a different level. Sure that must be why the Stallion drew his attention, he was a pony of thought as it was expressed clearly on his face.

He took a chance. If the conditions had been even the slightest bit different, he might not have, but he found himself walking from his table, across the floor, and over to this pony's table. He wasn't use to approaching strangers. Usually, if he was schedule to meet someone he had never met before, it was on his own rules, in his own office, where the stranger would have to greet him. The rules were changed now, he was the one approaching the stranger. Should he take a seat and introduce himself or would that alienate the other pony? A formal introduction might make it seem as if he was selling something...He wasn't sure why he was analyzing the situation so much, when he left the office, he left his business-like habits with him, but it seemed that they had caught up. Either way, there was no need to over think such a silly thing.

"Hello, my name is Oil Wells. I couldn't help noticing you were sitting beside yourself. Would you mind if I joined you?"

The mysterious pony scans the environment before him, first as a whole... then pin-pointing every detail of the crowd. From the outright snobby, to the graceful and elegant fragments of the great mosaic that makes up the social arena of this portion of Manehatten. Though the meal proportions are questionable... they must be so uptight about their figure, that just a few bites of them is enough... but how is that possible? Clearly strength is not their goal in life... such a shame. With every second going by... his temptation to challenge the whole through all out brute force strikes every corner of his mind. With all he sees... it just might be achievable, provided there's no secret guard around or anything similar to such. Still... with a quick glance behind him, and at his mane, it's as if these two features alone are what hold him back. As they remind him of the good old days...

In an instant, his eyes shoot over to his side, eying the staff member approaching another lone pony he had failed to acknowledge, which he'll be sure never to do again. After their short conversation, he watches as the other approaches his table. What in Equestria would a pony of such a clearly high class want with someone black as night who looks like he just crawled out of a hay stack? His defense mechanism springs, and his caution of the other pony increases... assuming him to be quite the rungs upon the ladder of wealth.

On natural instinct, Dark Star fires a sharp look toward the other, in attempt to pierce right through him with his gaze alone. A test it is, for the raw inner strength that the other could possibly possess. A well and lively greeting can come from anypony, but their intentions could easily be otherwise. Can he handle the darkness that he may just find himself in? Will all of the demonic realm break loose from this one meeting, or will the night's darkest star finally engage in a normal conversation like anyone else?

"Charmed... do take a seat, would you kindly?" the dark stallion motions his approval for Oil Wells to take his seat, still on about his attempt to pierce right through him. If he can withstand the night dweller... then perhaps he is worth some of his time. "You may address me as Dark Star."

The strangely fierce glare threw Oil Wells off for a moment, but he refused to be deterred. In the many years that Oil Wells had been a businesspony, a number of ponies had tried to push, pull, stare down, and intimidate him, but he has never known defeat and has never submitted when challenged and while he had no reason to believe this pony to be malicious, he was going to continue this trend. He didn't break eye contact, but did find the stare quite menacing, which is why it seemed a tad odd that pony, or Dark Star (as he had just introduced himself as), so humbly offered him a seat, but he didn't question it and he happily took his offer.

There was a moment of silence, the kind of silence that comes with meeting some new pony and awkwardness begins to lingers in the air as a connection has yet to be made. Oil wasn't a stranger to that kind of silence and he could already feel the conversation slipping from his hooves, but instead of turning tail and leaving right away, he figured he'd give it the old college try. The worst that could happen is that the conversation could end in failure, as did most of his conversations, and he'd go on with his life. However, since there was still a glimmer of hope that that would not be the case, he tried to keep the worst case scenario to the back of his mind.

"Well, um...Dark Star, was it? I don't believe I've seen you in Manehattan before, and while I don't claim to know every pony in the city, from how it looks I'm going to take a wild guess and say you are not from here," Oil Wells started up,"but, to be honest, that's not what I am really curious about. When I was over there, I couldn't help but noticed you seemed a tad perplex by something, care to share what you were thinking about?"

Oil Wells wondered if maybe that was a bit too direct, even if there was no malicious intent, but then again he was never one to beat around the bush. Too many ponies wasted their time with idle chatter and that was one of the main reasons he never found much interest in striking up a conversation, he always wanted to get down to business. It seems, though, that his newly acquired acquaintance wasn't going to be scared off by a few direct questions

Incredibly... Oil Wells, a temporary newcomer to Dark Star's life, didn't turn away. Not once has he made an attempt to break off just yet... could it be his curiosity overcoming his fears, or could he really be without any effect at all just from a stare alone? Could he finally have found a material that could not be pierced as easily? Either way, he refuses to break the eye contact, though seeming that it is clearly futile to try and pierce the stranger, he retains only slightly the fierceness of his gaze, nor does he make any attempt to send the other away. Just from being unscathed, he earns at least some of Dark Star's respect. To remain within close proximity for even a few seconds takes quite some effort, it seems. If only they knew of his more welcoming side...

The moment of absolute silence phases not even the slightest in the dark one. His urge to send him away not even occurring... for Oil Wells, one of the only ponies whom may very well earn a spot in the night dweller's long term memories, had lasted even a minute in Dark Star's presence. A minute that seemed to last a lifetime... for the moment at least, a conversation seems not to be the issue anymore, but the very idea of another making the effort to socialize at all... even he is surprised that the businesspony hadn't just turned and left after a moment of silence. Nevertheless, it seems to work out for the best, as the silence is finally broken... for once, bringing at least some light to the story of his life.

"Indeed... it seems that we both are under the spell of curiosity." the night dweller begins. "Whatever it was that brought about your wonder, I'll leave that for you to decide. You're correct, I am not from here... in fact, I'm not even sure where I was before here. I've left my old life behind, and as a result, my memory of origin has been erased completely. All for the sake of searching for my purpose... but that's beside the point. My main reason for stepping hoof in here at all is simple... I too was curious. That of this town's ways. If I'm going to pay a visit, I may as well get to know the area at least a little. A rather strange turn, really... from moon gazing, to visiting what I believe would be considered a classy eating establishment. I shall return the favour of your honestly with simply this... I question practically everything about your kind. I see what could be more than a ton of mutual socializing, yet at the same time... I see the potential for everypony here to stab one another in the back, just to make a few bits. Then again, I'm not among those who seek wealth material-wise, so I may never understand... still, I don't think any amount of money could ever amount to the greater things in life, at least in the way I see it... but before I ramble any further, I'm feeling eager for your opinion after all I've said. Does that sound naive? Do I exaggerate so far? What say you, Mr. Oil Wells?"

Dark Star's very strange story did peak Oil Wells' interests. A mysterious pony wandering into a new town, a forgotten past, an undetermined purpose, and open future with the hopes of finding a purpose; all the makings of a great storybook. Surely Oil had to have been lucky to choose tonight of all nights to go out and to share a series of happenstances in order to find himself beside such an interesting character. He was slightly disappointed to know that he was just seeing a small window into this ponies life while the big picture would remain a mystery, but to have a glimpse into such a story, whether it be true or not, was a very dazzling experience.

What intrigued him more, however, was the thoughts that came tumbling out of his mouth. It wasn't the typical one-dimensional monosyllabic ideas and such that most ponies had, it carried real depth. He spoke with a sense of intellectualism and presented himself as a pony with an analytic mind. He didn't just speak upon shallow appearances but seemed to take intentions, facades, and subtext into his observation of his surroundings. Oil Wells was correct when he determined that Dark Star might have been a thinking-type of pony and having discovered it as truth felt him with a sense of relief. It didn't matter if they had similar of different opinions, it just felt good to run into someone who actually thought about the world around them.

"Well, I won't lie, most of these ponies would sooner turn you in for a crime you didn't commit to get the reward money before doing so for nothing in return," Oil start before taking a moment to carefully pick his next words, "and while I wouldn't call you naive, I think you have mistaken the problem at hand. See, it isn't the materials or even the vast craving from the pony masses to obtain such materials. Instead, the problem is the ponies themselves. See, look around and you'll see those whom have inherited their fortune from a family member and thus have no respect, throwing it around like so much metal and paper. If you want to see the real Manehattan, it sits outside these doors. Giant buildings built by real ponies, all of them starting at the bottom and moving to the top, like me. Steel, stone, and pavement; that's the real Manehattan. I look out there and see my own story unraveling. See, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I worked hard to get where I am. Unfortunately, that kind of work ethic isn't in common practice anymore, but many of these pony will find, when times get tough, who the real fighters are."

For the first time in the long time the dark one hadn't bothered to keep track of, his listener actually appears interested in whatever thoughts that may slip casually from his mind. Even if the opinion is negative, his constant look of listening is actually very reassuring. Then again, should this even be a surprise? Should this not be expected from a clearly sophisticated other? Not only is he too solid for him to pierce, but his words indicate as well the finely attuned intellect, a privilege that is hardly taken for granted by the other. Who knows? Perhaps out of the whole crowd of rich ponies... he just might be the only one even worth speaking with; about anything.

He himself listens intently to the words that Oil Wells is kind enough to return. Not a single word had gone to waste, and very apparent experience is felt within every sentence gone by. Of course, who would know more about the internal design of the upper class than one of the members themselves? Though not many may have been able to respond as professionally as he does... for he seems to take no offense whatsoever to the utter negativity of his previous monologue. He too is a thinker... clearly even he has observed the environment before him, and unlike Dark Star's lack of experience in the particular social arena before them, Oil Wells seems very sure of himself; he knows what he is talking about...

"It matters not, for I may not stick around long enough to even be taken note of. At least not until I earn what I need to get by. Still... the very idea of such disturbs me. I wonder then what it's worth to even be a part of the diverse picture of abused power and wealth. Though the way I see it, even though it is the individual that seems to be the problem, remember that everything has a purpose... without it, we would not exist; now with this in mind, think of the purpose that must be fulfilled by these others... if they simply disrespect the luxuries that are just handed to them, then you may as well kiss whatever company they represent, their family, the well earned prestige goodbye. Then comes the worst fear... perhaps these ponies are very well aware of the wrongs that they are guilty for, and may very well bring their own downfall... and it all comes down to a simple and possible idea that they simply could care less. As long as their pockets remain full to the brim, 'tis all that matters. They may never amount to their purpose at all, because everything was just given to them like you said. In this sense... we may have more in common than we might have realized. I know this much about myself... I was never born into greatness, nor do I to this day even desire it. My current strength did not just appear from thin air... I would not have traveled my number of miles because of a few tosses of coins.

Still... no matter how far I've come, my own purpose remains as but a thick haze. My mark of definition on my flank only filling in a small space of the void of question. Some of these inquiries revolving around the baffling mystery that is my anger... a concentrated rage that seems to be meant for only the truly wicked... yet, with such a hate, never once have I ever raised my hooves toward those of the innocent, or at least, what my mind seems to label as innocent; those that I feel worth fighting for. My gaze that you saw a moment ago, would have never met the eyes of a young colt, nor an emotionally delicate filly... it's as if a voice in my head is telling me 'no'. With this, I decided to base my existence so far on such an idea. Tell me, Oil Wells... please, tell me it was easier for you." Dark Star suddenly requests of the other. Still... it should not be a requirement for others to be leading considerably better lives, but at the same time... no one should have to go through such hardships just to achieve their purpose. Should they? Surely he must have started on a better pace...

Oil Wells was caught off guard by Dark Star's request. It had been sometime since somepony was interested in his past, but what surprised him the most was what the request was asking of him; to tell Dark Star that his journey was, in some way, easier to bare than his own. It was almost an act of concern from a pony that represented a similar mindset to his own. For the first time in a long time, Oil Wells took a brief moment to reflect on his journey, finding his purpose, getting to the top, and to continue on.

"Easier? Maybe so," Oil started,"but by no means was it easy. I spent a long time, much like you, trying to find what made me, me. I traveled half-way across our great land, seeing cities that most ponies will never visit. I saw a variety of life styles, but it wasn't until I was hired as an assembly worker for an old kerosene company did I find what I was meant to do and once I did, I REFUSED to let go. I push, I cajoled, I threatened, I dealt, and at times I lied. I'm not proud of everything I did, but I'm glad I did it."

Oil Wells looked back out into the crowd, surveying their activities, and continuing to sip his drink. "Now, you brought up an interesting point about purpose, but this restaurant has little to offer in the ways of hope," Oil Wells gets up from the table and begins to walk to the door. He pauses and looks back at Dark Star, "If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to show you something."

For the same moment, even Dark Star was surprised by the words he had just spoken... it seems that words seem to naturally flow from his muzzle on this particular night. Indeed, it is quite the turn in his emotional disposition... he goes from being on highly alert of a possibility of Oil Wells being dangerous, to suddenly spouting out words that shows his normally hidden caring nature... might it cost him dearly in the future? It's as if the words he'd just said had caused a major swing in mood, as he reminds himself of just the kind of life that he internally longs for... one where he needn't have a care in the world, so that he may find time to actually be friendly and care properly for those around him.

Still, even the slight possibility of Oil Wells leading a better life is reassuring. No matter what, the truth in what Dark Star had said previously regarding the reasonable well being of others simply cannot be denied. As done previously, he listens closely to the words of the other. His story being strangely, even if slightly related to the night dweller's. Though, the one enormous and obvious difference between the two being the fact that one has achieved his purpose... the other having not, and most likely not anytime soon.

He could not help but agree with the other pony regarding the others. With one final glance, he sighs in pity of the others in the distance... maybe something will happen to them that will cause them to finally and truly awaken, and cause them to get a move on with their lives, and fulfill their purpose in life. Even if it is unlikely, he'll place a great amount of hope on the matter, as he then watches as Oil Wells actually invites him along for a trot to wherever and whatever it is he wishes to show the dark one. With all that had been said, with the lightening of the mood before him... somehow he feels no longer a reason to distrust him. He takes yet another deep breath... finally rising from his seat. "Alright then, lead on Oil Wells."

Oil Wells entered back out into the cold night air, the stars unfortunately blocked out by the light pollution of the city lights, but Oil thought they brought out their own sort of majestic beauty. The construction of steal and brick was like a sculpture that came together to showcase a massive piece of art that was Manehattan. The two stallions roamed down the side walk until they came across a particular building with big bold letters that read "Wells Kerosene and Supplies".

"Welcome, to my story, What stood here before my building was just a open lot and in its place stands an empire," Oil Wells started up, "but this is not my end result, my story continues to go on. Can you imagine that? After years of growing, developing, and learning, I still have so much left to do, so much left to see." Oil looks up at the building with a look of admiration, seeing something of his own having taken a physical form where everyone can see it.

"Most ponies think a purpose means an end, but they don't realize that it means a whole new beginning. Finding their purpose opens a slew of doors and it is up to you to pick the one meant for you. Each door you pick leads you down a very specific path, but some ponies hesitate, they see a choice and in that choice they see potential and in that potential they fear what they might lose, so some ponies go their entire lives without opening any doors. I can only hope, Mister Star, that when you find your doors, you'll never hesitate to walk through them. However, if you do, remember my story, my building, and remember that great thing are possible."

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost refreshing to step back out into the night once again. The familiar chill gliding along his mane as his cloak caresses his figure with a personal warm air bubble within. Along the way, he kept in mind Oil's words that seem to linger about his mind, as he glances over to the buildings and other structure that he now reminds himself that this was all once an uninhabited land... and to think a group of settlers were able to settle here in this very part of Equestria, and build the entire daily bustling city from the ground up. If anyone, the founders of this whole part of the land are to be considered real ponies. They were the ones who brought their hopes and dreams to life with these stone and steel structures. To see it this way, it gives the night dweller at least some hope for Manehattan... then he realizes, Oil Wells may be one of few that could bring hope to this place, should it ever experience a decline. Hopefully he knows that very well, and would take action should something like that ever happen... all he can do now is hope.

For a moment during the walk, he seems to lose his entire train of thought as his gaze wanders to the sky above, and his humble nature toward the Moon Princess shows for just that one moment, as the moon still shows its brilliant glow, even in the midst of all the city's light pollution.

That is of course, until his attention is directed once more by Oil's words, and he could not help but admire the tall structure even more as the other describes what it was before, and reflects on how the building itself came to be with his previous story at the restaurant... this stallion must have gone through quite some doing in his life to have reached such a position in life that he is now. "It must have felt wonderful to have discovered such a marvelous thing... after seeing this, well.. it just makes me want to keep searching. Though I'm unsure if my place lies in the world of business, which seems to be the focal point of Manehattan. I wish I could share a business story other than paying a few bits for a cinnamon roll during breakfast... that's probably the one thing that separates the two of us. Here you are, a wealthy and maybe even powerful business leader interacting with the more sentimentally driven. Still, though I may never be a businesspony myself... I don't think I'll ever forget this building when thinking about my purpose. I thank you for showing me this..."

• 2 weeks later...

"Lets take a step inside, shall we?" Oil Wells replied as he walked over to a seemingly normal brick wall at the side of his building. He lifts a hoof pushes on a brick and a section of the wall begins to turn to reveal a secret passage way into the building, "Figured we could have a real drink in my office instead of paying obsene amounts of bits at the restaurant back there. Also, don't ask me why I have a secret entrance, even a business pony can enjoy the sillier things in life, haha."

Oil Wells stepped through the secret door into the building, completely engulfed in darkness for a moment before slipping his head back outside, "You coming along? Its just up the staircase here a little ways." Oil Wells pulled his head back into the darkness for a moment, "where is that blasted light switch? I know I put one in here. Oh wait, there it is..." There was a click and suddenly a light emenated from the previously darkend entrance way. Oil Wells was standing at the foot of a flight of stairs, waiting for Dark Star.