[Manehatten] A Lucky Lunch (Closed: Bellosh101 & QuickLime)

Bellosh

207klk0.jpg

In some ways, Babs Seed missed her old school quite a lot. Despite all the bullies she coped with back there, she had also made a small number of cherished friends there too. While she would still see her old friends plenty throughout her East Side neighborhood, things just wouldn’t be the same with them again. As she learned the awkward way, it was kinda hard to bond with former classmates when you were no longer saw each other Monday through Friday for most of the entire day.

And so, Babs did what all other fillies had to do in her situation and start from scratch when her parents arranged a transfer over to a new school. Unlike her last school, this one was nestled in a slightly more-affluent district right next to East Side. As such, where she was at now had a bit more money to pay for things like recess monitors; things that kept bullying down to controllable levels. Miss Seed welcomed that, but the fact still stood that she’d have to establish herself among an entirely new set of colts and fillies.

Fortunately, Miss Seed had the added incentive of seeking out recruits for her branch of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, as she promised she would to her cousin Apple Bloom in Ponyville. Already, Babs had found two blank-flanked classmates that she trusted enough to join her club. Yet on this particular day, both of her friends were out sick with the cold. That meant the goldenrod filly would be eating lunch alone today.

As she grabbed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich out of her lunch bag, Babs Seed rapidly scanned the cafeteria to see if anypony else was heading towards her currently-deserted section of the lunch tables. Babs didn't expect a more unfamiliar student to sit down where her friends usually mingled; aside from the whole matter of sticking with one's cliques, Miss Seed herself was never one to give off welcoming vibes with her body language unless she was around trusted companions. Seeing no one coming her way yet as predicted, the little earth pony turned her attention back to her sandwich and begun biting into the delicious morsel.....

• 2 weeks later...

reno-.jpg

New schools meant new friends! Though Reno was sad to leave his old school behind and his old friends, but that just meant he got to make NEW friends! He grinned as he entered the lunch room, he didn't see many places to sit, but there was a spot by a chocolate coloured pony with the prettiest strawberry pink mane! He grinned and trotted over sitting across from her, the white colt with his messy green mane was fully capable of telling she wasn't sociable right off, but he wanted to make new friends! So he had to at least try!

"Hi there! My names Reno what's your name?" He asked opening his lunch, peering into it, finding a watercress and mint samwich, a small container of strawberries, and for dessert a delicious little tart! He was glad that both he and his father had been allowed to stay with a kindly old mare, she was spoiling Reno it seemed! He started to munch his samwich softly, glancing over this other pony he'd not even given a chance to SPEAK yet!

She looked tough, and he had noticed her flank was blank, up until recently his had been blank too, he glanced down at his own cutie mark and smiled, though winched at the memory since it appears he had made quite the enemy of the country pony that had gotten caught in the crossfire...

207klk0.jpg

Hearing some kid come and sit across from her, Babs Seed deliberately refrained at first from acknowledging his presence; she didn’t even take a peek at the new arrival. Babs wasn’t really in the mood to talk to anypony at the moment, so she continued to eat her sandwich in silence. It seemed the colt would have none of that though, as he introduced himself as Reno. Whoever this kid Reno was, the goldenrod filly knew he sure wasn’t in her class.

But still, Miss Seed supposed she would now have to reciprocate Reno’s gesture. Looking up from her food, Babs set her discerning gaze on the white earth pony with a minty green mane and freckles too. Aside from that, this Reno also had a rope coil and a cowboy hat for a cutie mark. Babs thought that rather odd; he didn’t have an especially-thick country drawl like her cousin Apple Bloom, but there was no way Reno could have gotten that cutie mark without spending time out in the country. Finally he looked a bit small compared to the average colt; Babs mentally questioned if he could be squeezed into a saddlebag.

Right now though, Babs wasn’t in the mood to be disturbed, especially by a pony who’d probably bug her about why she didn’t have a cutie mark yet. Without any particular warmth in her voice, the filly blunted answered Reno’s question with a one-word response; [colour=#daa520]“Babs”[/colour]. And just like that, the blank-flanked pony focused her energy back towards consuming her peanut butter and jelly sandwich.....

reno-.jpg

"Babs? That's a pretty name! It's like your mane, really pretty" He said and grinned before pushing the carton of strawberries over with a hoof "Would you like some?" He asked, not caring in the slightest if she had a cutie mark or not, just untill recently he was a little blank flank too! "Your voice sounds different! I like it" He had really taken to that bit of dialect he had heard in her voice, Reno was facinated by that sorta thing.

"Anyways I'm going to be here for a few months, but then me and my daddy are moving again, my dad moves us all the time, something about gam-baling" He prattled on, not caring if she just sat there in silence... "Whats your favorite subject? I like writing the best! I also like art class, just last week I made my daddy a coffee mug but it sorta looked more like a coffee bowl" He snickered at his own misfortune.

207klk0.jpg

Babs Seed didn’t expect this; apparently, she had a sweet-talker on hand at the lunch table. She hardly ever bothered with silly things like looking pretty and fishing for compliments, so Reno’s flattery caught her rather off-balance. Looking up at the colt with a confused expression, Babs discerned from his grin and his offer of strawberries that the kid meant what he said. [colour=#daa520]“Uhhhh..... thanks?,”[/colour] she tried blowing him off, although not trying to be completely rude in the process; [colour=#daa520]“I’m fine with my own food though.”[/colour] Maybe that would shut him up?

Not a chance; Reno just had to comment on her accent like if he’s never heard it before. [colour=#daa520]“You’re new hea’ I see,”[/colour] the filly flatly pointed out; [colour=#daa520]“You’ll be hearin’ a lot moa’ of ‘dis accent real quick, pal.”[/colour] As if confirming her suspicions, the little colt proceeded to blabber about how he’d be in Manehatten for a few months, how his dad gambled, and how he screwed up a coffee mug in art class. [colour=#daa520]“Dat stinks ‘bout ‘da mug, I suppose...”[/colour] Miss Seed pointed out matter-of-factly; she still would have preferred being left alone to her lunch, but at least Reno was behaving more friendly than she anticipated.....

reno-.jpg

"Yes ma'am I am !" He grinned, "We travel all over! This is my first time in a city though, I like how this accent sounds it's different" he nodded" It's a great mental treasure that's for sure!" He snickered at her comment about his coffee bowl "Naw! It still ended up looking good and we use it for cereal! It's not a shame or nothin cause it still works! When something doesn't work you just fix it so it does ya know?"

She refused the strawberries so he ate the small handful quietly, the boy wasn't daft though he could tell she'd rather him go away, so he finished lunch "After School do you wanna go out for Icecream or something? You're the first pony to talk to me so I wanna say thanks"

207klk0.jpg

Babs Seed continued to silently eat away at her sandwich as Reno continued to talk, not providing too many signs that she was paying attention to his words other than a nod or two. By the time he was done talking, Babs had finished her sandwich and was just about ready to reach for her cut-up orange slices; that was, until the colt mentioned that she’d had been the first pony to say anything to him at school. Hearing Reno’s admission elicited an expression of shock from the filly; did he really not have any friends here at all yet?

Needless to say, the colt had now won Miss Seed’s sympathy... but it wasn’t in her nature to let him know that easily. Playing it slick, Babs narrowed her previously wide-open eyes and summoned a mischievous smirk on her face. [colour=#daa520]“I don’t know about ice cream pal,”[/colour] she evasively teased Reno, blowing at an overhanging potion of her strawberry-coloured mane to demonstrate her AWESOME BIG CITY ATTITUDE; [colour=#daa520]“It depends on how cool yaw are.....” [/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

reno-.jpg

"How cool I am..?" His ears sorta drooped a little bit at that as he munched his strawberries quietly "I'm not very cool "He shrugged "M'kinda a dorkus really"He wasn't going to brag, he wasn't a slick mic cool pants, he was sorta an average joe, Babs seemed pretty cool "BUT I'm fun!" He offered and perked right back up "I'm really good at tag and such"He was hoping being fun was just as good as being "cool" not very good at telling fibs, he coulda told her a whopper but he figured that a pony like Babs would prefer the truth.

207klk0.jpg

Babs Seed was a bit disappointed that Reno let himself feel down for her comment about coolness; she was just giving him a little friendly tease. But then the colt suggested that he was fun to be around, claiming that he was good at tag. Since this guy seemed friendly enough, maybe the filly would give him a chance to prove himself. [colour=#daa520]“Maybe we can work something out after all pal,”[/colour] uttered Miss Seed as she gave her mane overhang a tiny blast of air; [colour=#daa520]“So; do yaw know your way around this turf yet, Reno? It comes in handy when playin' tag 'round here.”[/colour]

• 4 weeks later...

reno-.jpg

Reno shook his head "Not too well but I am good at finding my way back so I don't get lost!" He said and grinned,cleaning his mess up "I'm sure you could show me around ? I mean I don't want to get lost I'v never been to such a big place before" he said and frowned a tiny bit in thought.

207klk0.jpg

Cleaning up her own mess, Babs Seed wondered if Reno really wasn’t the sort of colt to get lost or was otherwise trying to make himself look better. In the event of the latter... Babs wouldn’t exactly blame him however, as she liked to craft a favorable reputation for herself as well. At the moment, the filly could see herself more and more taking the new kid under her wing, so to speak.

But first, Miss Seed wanted to know precisely where Reno would like to go afterschool. Manehatten was a big and busy place, and Babs was a big and busy filly who needed to get her homework done. [colour=#daa520]“For startahs pal,”[/colour] she offered;[colour=#daa520] “Would yaw’ like me to take you to ‘da nearest ice cream shop?” [/colour]As Reno asked about going out for ice cream earlier, Babs figured that an ice cream parlor would be a sensible place to take the pint-sized colt.

reno-.jpg

"Yes Please! I just need to find it once then I'll find it again!" He grinned "After that I figured we could maybe do our Homework together, that way two heads are better than one" Reno was all about social interaction, he loved being around other ponies, mostly because he spent so much time on the road that he didn't GET to be around other fillies and colts his age, so whenever he was somewhere for a good while he wanted to spend as much time as possible with kids his own age.

207klk0.jpg

[colour=#daa520]“Hmmm... ‘dat sounds like a plan pal,”[/colour] Babs Seed approved;[colour=#daa520] “Meet me at ‘da front of ‘da school when class gets out, and I’ll take yaw’ to ‘da ice cream shop. You got ‘dat?”[/colour] While she waited for Reno’s response, Babs took her empty lunch bag by the muzzle towards the nearest trash can, throwing her garbage away. The young filly usually didn't work on her assignments with other ponies, but she'll make an exception with the pint-sized colt this time since he's the new kid and all.....

• 3 months later...

reno-.jpg

"Yes Ma'am Miss Babs Ma'am!" Reno saluted her and smiled heading off to get rid of his own garbage and get back to class! However once School was out for the day Reno was pretty quick to go wait for Babs at the front of the school, he was practically beaming with enthusiasm and the prospect of meeting a brand new friend! He was so glad for her company that he was going to probably BURST with joy and have tasty fruit flavoured rainbows pop out of him!

Okay not really but that would be so cool!

207klk0.jpg

Babs Seed nodded and smirked in agreement as a perked-up Reno sauntered away to throw away his trash. Yep... it looked like the new kid would actually be pretty cool to hang around. Maybe Miss Seed could even take Reno under her wing and teach him how to make friends, if need me. After all, nopony should bear the humiliation of not having a friend or two to share fun times with.

Once class ended for the day, the goldenrod filly calmly made her way to the front of the school only to find Reno already there. As the pint-sized colt just so happened to not be looking in her direction for whatever reason, the mischievous Babs couldn’t resist sneaking up behind Reno and giving him a surprise tap on the shoulder.....