Black Sands at Midnight [Open, 1 Slots Remaining]

Kilojoules

The full moon was high in the sky as Kelp Culler broke the surface of the waves, quickly making his way towards shore without much effort. Tonight was special: On the black sands of the Gallopocous Islands, during a full moon in spring, a blood moon would occur, and the most brilliant of dormant flowers would bloom for a short time before going back to sleep, waiting for the next blood moon.This is what Culler was here for. He was determined to pick that flower and study it further!Finally reaching the shore, he let his hooves rest in the damp black sand, relishing the tide that still licked his underside with a moisturizing caress. Kelp Culler had either find the flower fast, or find someplace he can rehydrate before his coat completely dries.But where to start?

(Not sure if this is still running, couldn't see an OOC thread, and it has been five days.)

Coax Ostentate III arrived on his row boat paddled by two earth pony servants. He had chartered the HMS Alicorn to take him from the port of Baltimare to the distant Gallopocous for one reason and one reason alone. A legendary flower would bloom today, and he would add it to his collection. The orange unicorn had a map and a few fire spells at his command. Nothing would stop him from taking the flower for himself. Coax checked his backpack, and pith helmet just as the boat came to shore on the black sand beach.

As soon as the boat was clear of the water he hopped out onto the sand, and turned to his servants.[colour=#ff8c00] "Stay with the boat, if I'm not back by sunrise, then come find me.[/colour]" He didn't trust anypony but himself to handle such a delicate flower. The bumbling idiots would probably trample it. Coax levitated out a lantern and held it up with his magic, before looking up at the night sky and quickly working out where the north star was, before heading off into the island.

(( Silly me! I forgot to make one! Oopsies... ))

Kelp Culler pulled himself along the bench, his lower have dragging against the sand and leaving a trail. He was fairly certain he was the only pony around who knew about the flower, she he did not expect very much trouble. Reaching the rougher dirt, he winced a bit. This was definitely his least favorite part about being on land. And a quick flip of his hair, he continued on into the jungle, wincing every time he slumped over a log or other rough object.

Coax was an avid collector of rare items. Be they the elusive seven winged Trillock or the bones of ancient dragons. If something was rare, then he would seek it out. His father's fortune had left him ample money to acquire these items, and he had been on many, many trips to far flung places, but never the Gallopocous. He had a map of the island, and the word of a previous explorer as to where it could be, but he didn't have a definite location. He stopped at a particularly memorable grove, lifting out the map to the light of his lantern and finding it on his map. With the stars as his guide, and a known heading he furled it back up and retuned it to his bag.

He then drew out a canteen of water and took a small sip. It was a cool night, but he knew the importance of staying hydrated. The light of his lantern drew bugs, and Coax smacked one with a hoof, only to see it replaced by many more. He sighed, took another sip, and returned the canteen to his bag. He didn't want to miss the blooming, so he returned to his heading. A thick jungle beckoned up ahead, and Coax cricked his neck, before levitating a sharp looking machete out of his bag. As he moved he cut anything overhanging out of his way, the thick foliage would not stop him.

Pushing further through the growth, Kelp Culler lifted his lower half once more to climb a log. The process of walking on land was quite arduous, and navigating a jungle without any source of light save for the scarce moonlight, didn't make it any easier. And he could already feel his coat beginning to dry uncomfortably. This was going to be a long night.

Pushing through a particularly thick bit of vines with a grunt, Kelp stumbled forwards and onto his face. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Stupid vines!"[/colour] he shouted quite loudly, going through the process of trying to get back up. With an irritated grumble he continued on wards, not stopping until he saw a light not too far ahead. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Hey! Is somepony out there?"[/colour] he yelled to the light.

Coax hacked away at the obstinate undergrowth, occasionally having to utilise his basic fire magic to burn away a particularly hardy branch. The going was not as easy as he had predicted, perhaps he should have taken some servants with him. It was too late now, he had to keep going or he might miss the blooming. The orange unicorn was not going to miss the blooming after investing so many bits and weeks of his time in travel, he was cutting it very close, but he had only heard of this flower by chance, and he wouldn't fund a trip unless there was something on the other end.

As he cut through another extra thick vine, he stumbled into a slight clearing. All that magical swinging was tiring him out, and he took off his bag and dropped it to the ground, burying the blade of his machete into the dirt next to it. With a sigh, he plunked down onto his bag and used it as a seat, before taking out his canteen and taking another gulp of fresh water. He couldn't rest long, but this was a lot of effort, and Coax had burned himself out before. Suddenly he heard a shout and froze. Somepony else was on the island. The shout was quite distant, Coax hopped up and hid behind a tree, pulling out his machete again and holding it aloft.

Another shout rang out from behind his hiding place and Coax realised he had made the stupid mistake of not putting out his lantern. Now this newcomer definitely knew there was someone here. With a sigh, he adjusted his helmet and grabbed back up his bag, replacing the canteen as he did so. Coax didn't know how to respond, who was this newcomer? Were there more of him? What did they want?[colour=#ff8c00] "Don't come any closer! My friends and I seek no quarrel with you![/colour]" Coax bluffed to make him sound like less of a target than a lone noblestallion. [colour=#ff8c00]"Who are you? And what is it you want?"[/colour] Coax shouted again, his eyes searching the thick undergrowth for movement, his magic still holding his machete above his head threateningly.

Kelp struggled further through the jungle, but seeing that a lot of the growth was either chopped out of the way or burned, he moved a bit easier. And, judging by the speed in which the lantern had moved, this was definitely a land pony, or maybe some other land-dwelling creature. He had heard stories of dragons and griffons, but had only ever seen the latter.

Then, with a sigh of thanks, he responded to the shout that returned, [colour=#2f4f4f]"Woah, woah! Who said anything about quarrel?"[/colour] Kelp was definitely not up to a fight on land, considering how slow he moved. He didn't slow his pace towards the light, despite the warning, and within a good couple of minutes he was halfway into the clearing, his lower half hidden still. From the front, it looked as if he were sitting down.

[colour=#2f4f4f]"My name's Kelp Culler."[/colour] he said with a smile, the light of the lantern feeling good, but also drying him faster. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Put down the knife, please."[/colour] he asked, looking a bit concerned at the pony. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Where're your friends?"[/colour] he said suddenly, looking around.

Coax finally spotted the newcomer and jumped back a little. How had he gotten so close without him noticing? And was he sitting down? Perhaps he was mocking him? Or maybe it was a friendly gesture? Coax looked to the pony who introduced himself as Kelp Culler. He didn't seem very threatening, and he couldn't see anypony else moving around out there. He was used to being threatened and attacked, those that sought out unique treasures normally ran into a bit of resistance, but here on these islands for a flower? Coax took another look at the non threatening pony and shook his head. Maybe he was just being paranoid.

The orange unicorn placed the machete back into a loop on the back of his bag.[colour=#ff8c00] "Sorry, my hobby doesn't come without his dangers,"[/colour] he responded with a weak smile as he stepped forward, leaving the lantern in place on the ground, and holding out a hoof to shake. [colour=#ff8c00]"My name is Coax. Coax Ostentate the third. I must confess I was less than truthful about my friends being here,"[/colour] he said with a nervous rub of the back of his neck with his other hoof. [colour=#ff8c00]"Although two of them do await not far from here with a row boat,"[/colour] he added quickly just in case. Coax was a noblestallion, and as a noble he was a big fan of manners. He took out his canteen of water and offered it to Kelp Culler. [colour=#ffa500]"Here, would you like a drink?" [/colour]he shook the canteen once, and then added a little bit suspiciously,[colour=#ff8c00] "I notice you didn't answer why you were here."[/colour]

Kelp smiled quite friendly-like, and shifted awkwardly onto one hoof, shaking the the unicorn's hoof. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Every hobby has some sort of danger."[/colour] Kelp agreed, nodding rather sagely. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Coax? What an interesting name! I'm sure it fits one so interesting as yourself, though."[/colour] he added, grinning. [colour=#2f4f4f]"So you got here by boat? I live not too far, so it wasn't too much trouble getting to the island." [/colour]Kelp said rather off-hoofedly.

Seeing the offer of water, Kelp nodded his head rather fiercely, but took it gently from the unicorn's hoof. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Yes, please!"[/colour] he said, pouring a small bit of the water onto his coat. Making sure the was enough left for Coax, he gave it back with a sigh of relief. [colour=#2f4f4f]"That really hit the spot."[/colour] he said, looking a bit odd.

On the mention of his business, Kelp smiled big and said, [colour=#2f4f4f]"I'm here for horticultural research!"[/colour] As if that explained anything.

Coax felt most of his suspicions vanish with a hoof-shake. This stranger seemed genuinely friendly. Far be it from him to initiate anything rough. [colour=#ff8c00]"Too true that," [/colour]he said with a scoff at Kelp's comment on his hobby. The amount of times he'd been almost stabbed or fallen to his death were staggering. Still, fire was something that had most ponies back off. Not too many could set another pony alight with a bit of concentration.[colour=#ff8c00] "Really? I was born in Canterlot, although the family manor house is in Trottingham. Left Baltimare harbour about a month ago with the Alicorn. She's the rather big frigate you may have noticed on your way in, however she is on the other side of the island, so maybe not."[/colour] He let Kelp take the canteen out of his hooves and continued, looking deep in thought for a moment and not registering what Kelp did with the water. [colour=#ff8c00]"I didn't think there were any real settlements out here, with the mainland so far off and all,"[/colour] he said almost as if to himself.

He took back the canteen, took another swig for himself and put it back in his bag. [colour=#ff8c00]"Should never go exploring unprepared. I even have a spare canteen just in case I fall down a hole or something. Enough nibbles to last around a week with rationing too."[/colour] Coax turned to go pick up the lantern when Kelp mentioned horticultural research. The stallion spun around suddenly very interested. [colour=#ff8c00]"H-horticultural research?"[/colour] he said, unable to stop the slight stammer. There was only one thing that would bring a plant enthusiast here. The blooming flower. He decided to press the issue, confident that if push came to shove he could hold his own. He wanted that flower.[colour=#ff8c00] "What a coincidence, I myself am here to procure a certain unique plant,"[/colour] he said rather slowly and deliberately, his eyes watching Kelp. If he wanted the plant too, then things would get difficult. He had been informed that even on the island said planet was scarce, and the explorer had only recalled seeing one.

With a solemn nod, Kelp went about shaking his mane a bit, letting the water soak in real good.[colour=#2f4f4f] "Canterlot, huh? I've never been that far inland. Can't make it, get's a little too tough."[/colour] Kelp said without much thought. [colour=#2f4f4f]"And a frigate? I heard those're pretty cool,"[/colour] he took a break to think before adding, [colour=#008080]"Nope, didn't see it. I came up around the western end of the beach."[/colour] Kelp thought about what the stallion had said, and nodded. [colour=#2f4f4f]"There aren't any, as far as I know! I live just a little ways away from Okeanos." [/colour]Kelp shifted uncomfortably, realizing he was on top of a rather thick branch. With careful steps, he moved forwards and fully into view, revealing his hippocamp backside.

[colour=#2f4f4f]"Yeah, I can't say I do the same!"[/colour] he said with a light chuckle, himself having no sort of supplies what-so-ever, aside from a small vial. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Yep! I'm a horticulturalist, or at least that's what I prefer to be called. Most call me a gardener or landscaper."[/colour] he said with a slight grimace. He felt that 'gardener' was too mundane for a hippocamp of his standard. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Oh? Does it bloom on the full moon, on these black sands? Well, brown-dirt-past-black-sands?"[/colour] he said with a smile, wondering if they were after the same thing. Kelp didn't move, or so much as flinch.

Coax's suspicions were put on hold when he noticed the stallions odd behaviour and words.[colour=#ff8c00] "Tough getting inland?" [/colour]he asked confusedly, watching the stallion shake his mane and suddenly noticing how wet it was, ad putting two and two together. [colour=#ff8c00]"Okeanos. Okeanos. That sounds really familiar..."[/colour] he replied, trying to find where his brain had tucked away that information. Suddenly his eyes went wide as he recalled, just as Kelp took a step forward. [colour=#ff8c00]"You're a Hippocamp?!"[/colour] he shouted unsure of how to react. Sure he knew about such creatures, but in all of his adventures he'd never actually encountered one. They were extremely rare on dry land, and with good reason seeing as how he'd heard they dehydrate really fast.

Coax didn't quite know what to say. He managed to wrestle together some self-control and composure. [colour=#ff8c00]"Apologies. You took me off guard. Here I thought I was waxing with an earth pony,"[/colour] Coax said, still a little stunned, but recovering. [colour=#ff8c00]"A hippocamp horticulturist. That's not something you see everyday. I suppose for you running into a unicorn out here is a novelty,"[/colour] he added with a nervous laugh. When matters came back to the plant he grew serious again and nodded curtly. [colour=#ff8c00]"The Scarlet Bloodblossom. I seek the flower when it blooms tonight. I trust that won't be a problem?"[/colour]

(If you want me to change the plant name same so. Struggling to come up with one, and it still sounds pretty lame.)

[colour=#2f4f4f]"Yep, it really hurts, having to drag my tail across all these logs and what-not,"[/colour] Kelp explained, lifting his lower half for emphasis. [colour=#2f4f4f]"It takes a lot of upper body strength, which is why most hippocamp are in such great shape."[/colour] he added, turning to show off his muscles. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Okeanos, it's located between Hoofington and I believe the Gallopacous?"[/colour] he stated in more-or-less a question. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Uh, yeah I'm a hippocamp..."[/colour] Kelp raised an eyebrow at the unicorn, a little confused.

Kelp watched with a little amusement as the noblestallion got his composure back, chuckling a little. [colour=#2f4f4f]"No need for apologies, I realize I wasn't in full view. And nope, no earth pony here."[/colour] he grinned big, flopping his tail a bit. He definitely should have started off with being a hippocamp, but he always forgets ponies aren't used to that sort of thing. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Nope! Not very many of my occupation down under the sea, considering most plants down there are a bit difficult to make look 'pretty' or even to take care of."[/colour] he said with a slight smile. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Actually, while I wasn't expecting another on this island, I've met a few unicorns that had come to my classes."[/colour] said Kelp Culler.

Kelp smiled once more at the stallion's nervous laugh. Hearing talk of the Scarlet Bloodblossom, his smiled wider and said, [colour=#2f4f4f]"As long as you can take care of it properly, and I can get some pollen samples, I have no problem with you acquiring one."[/colour] He added emphasis to the last part, quite serious about not messing up an ecosystem. More than once he had seen ponies take plants from places, and soon that plant population died out completely.

(( I love the name, hehe. ))

Coax was glad he hadn't offended his new companion with his blunder. He actually found himself appreciating the company. His father's servants were so dull, but daddy insisted he take them with him wherever he went. They weren't happy about being left at the boat, but Coax had gained a little dirt on them, and was actually enjoying his temporary bargained freedom. This wasn't his most exciting adventure, but it was his first without them looking over his shoulder the entire time. He was glad that Kelp wasn't against him taking back a blossom with him. After all it meant that things could stay friendly between them.

Coax smiled back. [colour=#ff8c00]"Of course, I need but one for my collection. Don't worry I know collectors such as I can normally be callous, but I try to make sure my hobbies don't hurt others."[/colour] He turned and picked up the lantern with his magic and placed it between the two of them. [colour=#ff8c00]"Do you know exactly where the Scarlet Bloodblossom is to be found? I have a map of the island, but only a guess as to the location,"[/colour] he said as he took his map from his bag, opened it up, and placed it onto the ground between them. [colour=#ff8c00]"If you'd like we could search together. My machete and fire magic can make short work of some of these stubborn plants, of course I can control my magic to a tee, no worries about accidental fires, and I'm sure the jungle can recover from any damage in a matter of days."[/colour]

Kelp nodded ad Coax's words, happy to hear he did plan on only taking one. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Alright, good, if you really can take care of it, then no problems from me."[/colour] he said with a little voice inclination. The hippocamp brought himself over towards the bright lantern and the piece of parchment that coax held. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Well, yes and no."[/colour] Kelp said with a bit of embarrassment, which he recovered from quickly. [colour=#2f4f4f]"I know for sure that it's in a secluded and well, hidden, grotto. I trust you know what a grotto is?"[/colour] he asked before continuing.

[colour=#2f4f4f]"I just don't know exactly where this grotto is."[/colour] was all he added, narrowing his eyes at the map. He gave a slight movement of his shoulders that could be considered a shrug. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Searching together would be much more efficient. Plus, who wouldn't want to travel with an upstanding stallion like yourself?"[/colour] Kelp schmoozed with a light nudge of Coax. [colour=#2f4f4f]"But, yeah, be careful with the fire. Heat dries me out faster than just air-drying."[/colour] he added mindfully.

Coax smiled back at Kelp, but his smile waned a little as he spoke, before coming back in full force at the end.[colour=#ff8c00] "Well, never the matter. I'm sure we can find it before the blood moon. I am quite familiar with grottos. You'd be surprised how often rare things are found in caves and the like. I have a rough area courtesy of a fellow explorer, but it's still quite a lot to cover. I'd appreciate a second pair of eyes,"[/colour] Coax responded with a smile as he rolled up the map again and put it away. When Kelp referred to him as an upstanding stallion, Coax let out a small chuckle and took a mock bow with a wide smile.

He then went to pick up the lantern again when he had a thought. [colour=#ff8c00]"I could work faster if you wouldn't mind carrying the lantern?" he asked as he gestured to the lantern. It's a little hard to hold the lantern, slash with the machete, and bring fire to bear. If you're worried about drying out I can give you my spare canteen," [/colour]he added as he levitated out another canteen and held it out. [colour=#ff8c00]"This shouldn't take too long, and we've got plenty of barrels of fresh water back on the frigate, so don't worry about me." [/colour]Coax took back out his machete with a grin and turned back to the jungle. [colour=#ff8c00]"Onwards?"[/colour]

Kelp nodded at Coax. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Plus, a grotto usually means water!"[/colour] he said with a grin. [colour=#2f4f4f]"And guess what? I can breathe water."[/colour] he joked, though if indeed a need for it came, it'd be there. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Well, you've got your second pair right here."[/colour] Kelp Culler said, shifting onto one hoof to salute with the other. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Now, I'll follow you?"[/colour] he offered, stepping into line behind the stallion.

With a bit of a greediness, he took the canteen before he took the lantern, and when he did, he held the lantern in his mouth, and the canteen slung at his side as he made his way along next to Coax now. [colour=#2f4f4f]"Ahnwurs!"[/colour] he said enthusiastically, his words morphed by the lantern.