The best laid plans of Mares and Stallions [ATTN:Bellosh101]

Blueblood

1zq8oio.png

Out of the blue, Earth Writer asked a question that a laughing Sugar Apple found deceptively hard to answer; [colour=#800080]“Ah’m not sure where th’ word hooey comes from, t’be honest. Ya’ll have t’ask some ivory tower professor about it, ah reckon.”[/colour] Once her companion promised to look into the status of his family’s title, the purple pegasus replied; [colour=#800080]“Don’t sweat it too much hun; just remember thet-”[/colour]

Ms. Apple didn’t finish her sentence, as Greenshot came by to deliver a decadent offering of sweets that the couple requested. Sugar for a brief moment questioned whether it was such a good idea to gorge on pastries; this doubt evaporated at the sight of the apple strudels. “[colour=#800080]This looks yummy cousin!”[/colour] the salivating Apple pony thanked Greenshot as she dug into the strudels, her mouth full with food as she spoke; [colour=#800080]“Tell mah aunt thet her food’s great like always.”[/colour] Sugar Apple never did have the best table manners in Equestria.....

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earth Writer couldn't think of any academians off the top of his head that would dedicate any effort to tracing the etymology of the word 'hooey,' but he didn't mention it. There wasn't time, in any case, before Greenshot returned with their order.

The stallion very nearly got a sugar rush by proxy looking at the load of treats set before them. "[colour=#8b4513]I certainly plan to enjoy them![/colour]" He replied to the unicorn. He decided to try the smoothie first, it seemed to be derived from spiced cider, giving it a strong flavour that complimented light pastries surprisingly well. Earth was a little more delicate in his manners by default, but since there wasn't any silverware on the table, he just levitated the entire strudel up to his mouth to take a bite. "[colour=#8b4513]Mmm![/colour]" It was the perfect temperature, warm, but not so hot that the filling burned the roof of his mouth.

He washed down the bite, "[colour=#8b4513]Most delicious! I regret now that I haven't visited the place sooner![/colour]"

1zq8oio.png

Sugar Apple wasn’t all that surprised that Earth Writer never found Sweet Blintze’s before; Canterlot may only be a moderately-sized city in the grand scheme of things, but it was also densely populated with hidden treasures and other deceptively-unremarkable locales beyond count. [colour=#800080]“Mmmmm,”[/colour] mused the purple pegasus, still busy with her tasty apple strudel; [colour=#800080]“Ah’m sure thet ya’ know a bunch of places here thet ah’ve never been to. Maybe we kin-”[/colour]

To Sugar Apple’s bad luck, a piece of strudel right then went down the wrong pipe in her throat. Being a healthy mare, her gag reflex made sure nothing unwanted got in her lungs, but it left Sugar in an embarrassing state of uncontrollable coughing. [colour=#800080]“*cough* *cough* Little help, hyar? *cough*”[/colour] she pleaded, gesturing to Earth Writer for any sort of aid.....

"[colour=#8b4513]Mmm... true...[/colour]" Earth Writer mused as Sugar Apple spoke of places he'd found that she'd probably never been. He was a local, but he'd only really begun to explore the city beyond the University and Student's neighborhood a few months ago. Still, there was a couple of places he'd like to show off-

The first sound of choking brought him to attention like the crack of a whip. He was scrambling to his hooves even before she'd finished pleading for help, though in his haste he kicked the cushion into the back of another customer's head. "[colour=#8b4513]Hold on![/colour]" He called out, as he got behind her and wrapped his hooves right below Sugar Apple's diaphragm. Fortunately, the stallion had learned what to do for a choking pony, and a quick heave soon launched the offending chunk of strudel from her throat. Earth could hear it land with a splash somewhere, but right now he really didn't care about that.

"[colour=#8b4513]Alright,[/colour]" He said, breathing heavily, "[colour=#8b4513]Are you OK?[/colour]" Concern and relief mixed in his voice. Today was certainly turning out eventful...

Giving a nodding gesture over at Sugar Apple as he would indeed tell her aunt what she had said. The smiling [colour=#008000]Greenshot Apple [/colour]watched as the two enjoyed what his mother had made for the couple and trotted off with head held high and a tray of empty glasses and plates with crumbs or streaks of sugar coating it. Many of the ponies who reserved seats were nearly all gone. Greenshot made a quick trip to the back to drop off the dirty dishes then walked over towards his mother and said in a happy and proud manner "[colour=#008000]Sugar Apple said that your food is great as always mum. Today sure is a great day for business though and I wanted to wish you a happy hearts and hooves day, hope you and dad have plans tonight and not just plans too work all day[/colour]."

Greenshot's ears suddenly flicked upright when he heard the coughing of a mare. Quickly leaving the kitchen to look out at the ponies remaining in the shop to see Earth Writer assisting to Sugar Apple and see that she had been choking. Watching her cough up something and trotted his way over towards the two to make sure everything was alright. Some of the remaining couples giving Earth and Sugar weird looks while others just ignored the scene all together. "[colour=#008000]Are you alright their cousin Sugar? Need at water or anything at all? Awesome job and good reaction Earth Writer at saving the life of your future mare![/colour]"

1zq8oio.png

Without hesitation, Earth Writer did what he had to do to cease Sugar Apple’s strudel-induced distress. The offending piece of confectionery shot out of the pegasus’s mouth and into Earth’s milkshake; a small price to pay to get her throat cleared. After a few deep breaths, Sugar finally managed to speak; [colour=#800080]“Yeah... ah’m alright... thanks hun.....”[/colour]

Cousin Greenshot must have noticed the incident, for he came to congratulate the tan unicorn for saving Sugar Apple’s life. Wait- what did he mean by that? Her life wasn’t in danger one bit! [colour=#800080]“Now just wait a minute cousin,”[/colour] Sugar replied indignantly; [colour=#800080]“Mah life wasn’t in danger...ah just had a minor swallowin’ problem... thet’s all.”[/colour] With a pout, Ms. Apple returned to her seat and took a sip from her smoothie, annoyed with Greenshot’s exaggerating.....

The customer who'd received Earth Writer's cushion in the back of his neck looked for a minute as if he were about to take offense at the situation, but after taking a view of the circumstances, he merely sniffed and muttered something about "The unwashed classes" to his tablemate.

Earth Writer gave a huge sigh after Sugar confirmed the effectiveness of his intervention. "[colour=#8b4513]Oh, good, I'd been a little worried I hadn't done it right. That's the first time I'd had to use the Heimlich for real.[/colour]" He levitated the bit of pastry out of his smoothie, depositing it on a napkin. He wondered briefly if the five-second rule applied to hunks of pre-chewed food dropping into your drink before Greenshot showed up.

Sugar Apple's quick shift to annoyance caused her date to start laughing again. "[colour=#8b4513]Right, of course! We already did the whole rescue bit, remember? Twice is just over-doing it.[/colour]" Still chuckling, the stallion retrieved his cushion and took his seat. He was about to sip from his drink when he thought better of it. "[colour=#8b4513]Er... I don't suppose I could ask for a second one?[/colour]"

(God, I keep forgetting to come back here. My apologies!)

[colour=#800080]“Now just wait a minute cousin, [/colour][colour=#800080]Mah life wasn’t in danger...ah just had a minor swallowin’ problem... thet’s all."[/colour]

[colour=#008000]Greenshot Apple [/colour]gave a soft chuckle at his cousin's response to what he had said. Looking over at her then at Earth Writer who probably got his refernce. Greenshot meant to say that for saying her life, Earth deserved a reward. Wondering if he'd say something, but shrugged it off a bit as it seemed neither of them did catch it. Smiling anyway, he watched Earth Writer remove the chunk of food from his drink as Greenshot assumed he would probably need another drink and was already ready to leave to go and ask his mother for another Cider Smoothie.

[colour=#282828]"[/colour][colour=#8B4513]Er... I don't suppose I could ask for a second one?[/colour][colour=#282828]" [/colour]

"[colour=#008000]Of course I could get you another one. It's no problem at all![/colour]" Greenshot gave a smile as well as a nod at him as he lit up his horn and brought the glass of cider to levitate off their table and just in front of him as he would trot away momentarily to drop the glass of smoothie cider by the washing area. Then, got a replacement of the drink from his mother and came back with Earth's replacement. Setting the drink down in front of Earth Writer and place a straw inside the drink as he looked at the two of them. "[colour=#008000]I really do hope your both having a good time. Are you feeling alright there cousin?[/colour]" Greenshot would say while looking over at Sugar Apple.

1zq8oio.png

Rolling her eyes, Sugar Apple didn’t feel so keen on being reminded of the... other incident. Even if Earth Writer hadn’t intervened, she was within seconds of spitting out the rogue strudel chunk herself. Wishing immensely to calm everything back down, the pegasus quickly told cousin Greenshot; [colour=#800080]“Ah’m perfectly alright hun, ah wasn’t really in grave danger at all. Trust me; ah’ll be fiiiine.”[/colour]

While busy attempting to finish off her apple strudel, Sugar Apple tried to think of how to brighten up her mood. About five seconds later, a small grin indicated that she had come up with an answer. [colour=#800080]“Say Earthy,”[/colour] commented the purple mare;[colour=#800080] “Maybe one day, ah oughta save yer life or somethin’. How does thet sound?”[/colour] Giggling, Miss Apple hoped that one day she wouldn’t be remembered as a lady who constantly got herself in danger.....

"[colour=#8b4513]Oh, thank you.[/colour]" Earth Writer made a mental note to tip Greenshot extra. As far as food service went, this was going above and beyond the call of duty. He couldn't blame the unicorn for being concerned for his cousin, either, though his enquiries were getting a little repetitive. "[colour=#8b4513]Don't get too stressed out over us. We didn't come here to make your day difficult.[/colour]"

Having smoothed over the situation, more or less, it seemed that Sugar Apple was in a contemplative mood, so the stallion decided not to break the silence until she did. Earth had to smile when she did, the pegasus certainly had a way of brightening the mood. "[colour=#8b4513]Sounds like a plan to me. I'll be sure to hold you to that, next time my shirt gets caught in the printing press. Not that Newspapers let us freelancing peons into the inner temple...[/colour]" He chuckled, finishing the last bite of his strudel.

"[colour=#8b4513]But we'll see. I hope someday to be a full-fledged writer, of books and not just articles. I'm just not sure in what, exactly, though I've always admired the great travel writers, Chestercolt, Bridleson, and the rest.[/colour]" He took another drink of his smoothie, inclining his head towards his date. "[colour=#8b4513]How about you? Got any ambitions?[/colour]"

(The names are references to G.K. Chesterton and Bill Bryson, two of my personal favorites.)

“Ah’m perfectly alright hun, ah wasn’t really in grave danger at all. Trust me; ah’ll be fiiiine.”

"[colour=#008000]Of course your perfectly fine cousin, your an Apple after all.[/colour]" [colour=#006400]Greenshot Apple[/colour] said proudly at Sugar Apple before hearing Earth Writer say something as well. Turning his head to look over at the stallion as he was speaking.

[colour=#282828]"[/colour][colour=#8B4513]Don't get too stressed out over us. We didn't come here to make your day difficult.[/colour][colour=#282828]"[/colour]

Giving a soft nod, but shook his head lightly making his mane sway with his head shaking. "[colour=#008000]Oh trust me, my day is not at all difficult. Someone early in the morning choked of a strudel cause they were in such a hurry to eat it. The mare got angry and rushed out of the shop making a scene like it was our fault or something...Anyway, if ya'll would like anything else at all then please grab my attention. If not, just give me a hoof wave and I'll bring your check over so you both can continue your day together.[/colour]"

Greenshot gave a warm, hearty smile at the both of them as he'd leave them to their chatter while he heads back to the counter to organize stuff behind the counter for the reservations that would come later when it's sun falls and moon rises.

(by the way, I won't be doing a post until I'm called for ^^)

1zq8oio.png

Feeling somewhat better now that she knew she wasn’t the only mare today to choke on strudel on Hearts and Hooves Day, Sugar Apple laughed a bit as Earth Writer described a scenario with him in mortal peril! The apple-flanked mare could see it in her mind; her frantically pulling the journalist from the printing press in order to save his hide. Not that she’d wish harm on him just so she could be the heroine, but it was still an amusing fantasy of heroics all the same.

As for the matter of ambitions, Ms. Apple couldn’t say her aims in life were not that complicated. [colour=#800080]“Well, ah basically want t’see th’ world,.”[/colour] the purple pegasus sighed fondly; [colour=#800080]“Since ah’ve already been to a whole chunk of Equestria already, ah’m already looking forward t’places beyond. Aquellia, Unyasi, places like thet... ah hope to visit them all someday. Thet’s basically mah lifelong dream right thar.....”[/colour]

"[colour=#8b4513]Hm,[/colour]" Earth Writer mused, after Greenshot had given his tale of customer service and left, "[colour=#8b4513]Today has given me a new respect for food service professionals. One has to admire those ponies who work so that others have holidays, especially with all they have to do and deal with.[/colour]" Indeed, a hefty tip seemed hardly sufficient for one so dedicated to making a good Hearts and Hooves day for him and Sugar Apple.

Returning to the main consideration, Earth Writer nodded in agreement to Sugar's Ambitions. "[colour=#8b4513]I'd like to get out there myself, for sure. One of the advantages of being a journalist is that I can take the travels as a business expense, so if you want to see them together...[/colour]" He trailed off, leaving the offer hanging.

"[colour=#8b4513]In fact,[/colour]" The stallion said, lowering his voice, "[colour=#8b4513]Did you know that they've just completed a high-speed rail from here to the Crystal Empire? The paper's looking for a pony to put on the spot, and I think my name may be on the short list. It's not confirmed yet, but if I am sent out on assignment, would you like to come for a visit?[/colour]"

1zq8oio.png

Acknowledging Earth Writer’s opinions on waiters with brisk nodding, Sugar Apple’s curiosity arose when her date mentioned he just might be able to pay for joint trips as business expenses. As a matter of fact, the reporter might very well get a chance to do journalist work in the Crystal Empire. The pegasus mare had never been to that formerly mythical place before; she thought Earthy would be very lucky if he got selected to go on assignment there!

[colour=#800080]“Gosh...!”[/colour] Miss Apple cried out, doing her best attempt at a civilized enthusiastic responded; [colour=#800080]“Ah don’t know eff ah could take advantage of ya’ hun just t’go on vacations, but ah’d definitely find time to drop by th’ Crystal Empire eff ya’ git thet job... and ah really hope ya’ do. Seeing yer’ work, ah’d be surprised eff they don’t assign ya’!”[/colour] The purple pony was too humble to accept Earth’s offer for essentially free vacations; that’d be unfair making him pay for her travels. But a trip to the Empire... that sounded really nice right now.....

(Sounds like we have a plan for the sequel thread!)

Earth Writer laughed. "[colour=#8b4513]I wouldn't take advantage of my poor editors like that! I was just saying that I would be able to help defray any of your travel costs, not having to pay my own.[/colour]" Upon reflection, he supposed that being a factory manager actually gave Sugar Apple a higher salary than he enjoyed currently, it was only chivalrous to offer.

He finished the last bites of his cupcake, licking the crumbs off his lips. "[colour=#8b4513]Mm! That's quite good. I think Canterlot has some of the best specialty cupcakes in Equestria. At least, I've never seen the variety and quality anywhere else than the capital region. I don't know why, but there you are.[/colour]" He shrugged, smiling. "[colour=#8b4513]Just one of those details that show that Canterlot is more than a city of snobs. Ponies ask me sometimes how I can stand living here. If I knew why the cupcakes were so good here, I'd have an answer."[/colour]

1zq8oio.png

[colour=#800080]“Oh,”[/colour] Sugar Apple sheepishly responded when Earth Writer corrected her; [colour=#800080]“Still, ah’d probably pay mah own way anyway, but ya’ earn brownie points for tryin’.”[/colour] Giving her date a wink, the purple pegasus proceeded to mirror his actions subconsciously by going for her own cupcake.

As Sugar Apple finished her tasty dessert, Earth Writer used the moment to muse about cupcakes and why they tasted so good in Canterlot. In the matter of this particular eating establishment, the mare didn’t have a real answer; [colour=#800080]“Well in mah aunt’s case, ah don’t know enny of her recipes. Ah suppose we kin ask my cousin once he comes with th’ bill."[/colour] Taking a final drink of her shake before finishing it off, Sugar reckoned by her mostly emptied plates that Greenshot would be back very shortly now.....

As if he knew it was his cue, [colour=#006400]Greenshot Apple[/colour] came up to table just to take away the empty plates and glasses Sugar and Earth were finished with. Stacking them neatly on his back as he went to the back kitchen just as quickly as he came to take them. Leaving them momentarily alone with each other while he placed the dishes into the soapy sink with suds nearly spilling out. Greenshot came back with a pencil levitating as he got their check ready then trotted happily over to the two of them. "[colour=#008000]Well, I appreciate you both having spent your time on Hearts and Hooves Day here at our shop.[/colour]" Greenshot would place the check on the table that read their price, but he had put Free of charge since their meal was free cause Sugar was family and that day was special. Then, he would place two coupons that everyone received that day for a free pastry the next time they came to eat at Sweet Blintze's Pastry shop. "[colour=#008000]Their you both go. I hope you's have a splendid day and don't forget to stop by again when your in town Sugar Apple. Really nice seeing you again. Same goes for you Earth Writer.[/colour]"

• 2 weeks later...

Earth Writer shrugged as Greenshot returned. "[colour=#8b4513]I suppose it can't hurt to ask, but it feels presumptuous, somehow...[/colour]" The journalist turned as the green unicorn arrived. "[colour=#8b4513]You're very welcome; thank you for having us, it was truly excellent. I should like to know the cupcake recipe someday, it was superb![/colour]" Directly asking somepony for a secret recipe was gauche, no doubt, but surely admitting interest was only honest, right? Certainly, he couldn't think of any other group of ponies who would value honesty more than the Apple family.

Earth would have picked up the bill, only that everything was marked free. He decided to leave a generous tip, in any case. "[colour=#8b4513]I shall certainly return, and Sugar may come if she likes.[/colour]" He laughed again as they exited.

Evening was just beginning as the pair stepped outside. The sky was still bright, but the buildings and streets seemed darker against it as the sun hit them from an ever-increasing angle. "[colour=#8b4513]The thoroughfares can get crowded at this time, but that's part of the charm in some cities. Still, if you'd like to find a more out-of-the-way spot, I know a few I can show you...[/colour]"

1zq8oio.png

With strangely impeccable timing, Cousin Greenshot arrived with the bill right after Sugar Apple had mentioned it. After Earth Writer provided the apple unicorn with a polite hint that he’d like to learn more about the cupcakes one day, the purple pegasus chimed in with her giving of thanks to their waiter; [colour=#800080]“That’s right Earth; you and Auntie certainly surpassed yerselves today! Remind me thet next-”[/colour]

Glancing at the bill, Sugar Apple then silenced in astonishment as she saw that her cousin marked their meal as ‘free of charge’.[colour=#800080] “Aw shucks,”[/colour] the mare bashfully exclaimed; [colour=#800080]“You didn’t have to... errr..... oh, thank’s fo’ everythin’ hun![/colour]” Hovering up in the air, Sugar felt no need to hold her gratitude back as she wrapped her forelegs around Greenshot’s neck. The hug only lasted for a couple seconds before the pegasus let go, flying towards Earth Writer as he headed out the door. [colour=#800080]“We’ll be sure t’ come back, Greenshot! Have a good night!!!”[/colour] With a final wave of farewell, Ms. Apple departed the packed pastry shop.

So far, this date was turning out extremely well for Sugar Apple... aside from a minor case of food stuck in the throat. Aunt Blintze’s treats proved to be as delicious as they have always been, and Earth Writer himself was turning out to be more and more of an interesting gentlecolt to be around. When her date asked if she’d like to head towards some less-visited locations, Sugar eagerly nodded; [colour=#800080]“Sure thing hun! Just as long as ah make it onto th’ last train of th’ night, we’ve got time t’ visit one or two more spots.....”[/colour]

[colour=#282828]"[/colour][colour=#8B4513]You're very welcome; thank you for having us, it was truly excellent. I should like to know the cupcake recipe someday, it was superb![/colour][colour=#282828]"[/colour]

"[colour=#006400]I probably would give out the recipe out my mother's recipe, but I do not know the whole recipe's contents myself. You'd have to bring that up to Sweet Blintze some time she gets a chance to relax Earth Writer.[/colour]" [colour=#008000]Greenshot Apple[/colour] had said in response to the stallion while the bill was in Sugar's hooves. He was slightly startled when he had just noticed Sugar Apple hovering and brought her forelegs around his neck. Bring his own hoof to wrap around her neck as he quickly gave a responding hug right back. "[colour=#008000]I'm happy to know that you both enjoyed your meals. You both have a great night and Happy Hearts and Hooves Day you two![/colour]" Greenshot began waving his hoof back as both Earth Writer and Sugar Apple trotted out the shop. Grabbing a towel from his saddlepack he began cleaning the table as the day was still not yet done and couples would still be coming to enjoy meals prepared by Sweet Blintze and served by Greenshot Apple.

(Cues My leave..was a long time, but I had fun doing this roleplay with you two. Ciao for now!)

(So long, Greenshot!)

"[colour=#8b4513]Hm, I think the last train out to the Heartland is the 7:05, so we should have a few hours.[/colour]" A few more hours in his date's company were a very welcome thing, but the mention of the time-table reminded Earth Writer that it would have to end at some point. [colour=#8b4513]*So, what do I want to show her before she leaves?* [/colour][colour=#000000]As he pondered, he found his feet walking in familiar paths, and got an idea. "[/colour][colour=#8b4513]I know! I'll show you around my neighborhood; it's between the Plaza and the University, on the opposite side from the palace.[/colour][colour=#000000]"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Canterlot was a strictly organized city, the limited building space more or less enforced strict zoning. The large, traditional houses of the nobility were on the Palace side of the Plaza, where the shelf jutted out, providing a view to all the valleys of the ivory towers and gilded turrets of the Royal Residence. The far side of the Plaza was where the professional classes had their workshops, with rents getting cheaper as the roads approached the University, rooted into the side of the mountains.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Earth's neighborhood was rather closer to the University than otherwise; the streets were narrower, and rutted, but the whole looked more lived-in than broken-down. The buildings were mostly of brick rather than stone, russet and weather-stained. Small townhouses and urban flats were interspersed with shops and cafes, inelegant but homely.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]"[/colour][colour=#8b4513]Most ponies don't think of places like this when they hear of Canterlot,[/colour][colour=#000000]" The journalist told Sugar Apple as they walked the streets, "[/colour][colour=#8b4513]But not everypony needed to run a city can live in a mansion. I certainly couldn't afford it on a journalists' salary![/colour][colour=#000000]" He laughed, slowing down as he approached a small bookshop, operated out of one of the narrower buildings. The overstock specials were lined up on a table outside, and he gave them a lookover. "[/colour][colour=#8b4513]The sales are a bit of a pot-luck, here, but this is one of the better bookstores in the city. I actually found two award-winning authors having coffee at that very table in the next door cafe, and scooped an impromptu interview![/colour][colour=#000000]" He smiled at the memory, remarking, "[/colour][colour=#8b4513]What sort of books do you read?[/colour][colour=#000000]"[/colour]

(OOC: Thanks for the memories, Greenshot!)

1zq8oio.png

Using her smile to indicate approval to waltz around Earth Writer’s neighborhood, Sugar Writer eagerly followed her date towards the vicinity of Canterlot University. Indeed, she was very surprised to see how different the city looked from the previous areas they’ve trotted this late afternoon. [colour=#800080]“Hmm, ah’m surprised,”[/colour] Miss Apple commented; [colour=#800080]“Ah was under th’ impression thet th’ entire city was supposed t’ well, look th’ same. Guess ah could really learn t' walk off th' beaten path every once in a while.”[/colour]

As the couple passed by a bookstore, Earth Writer recalled how he managed though luck to score an interview with two authors. Grinning as the tan unicorn expressed pride in his accomplishment, Sugar Apple next answered her date’s inquiries about what books she likes reading; [colour=#800080]“Well this might sound a little odd, but ah really love coffee table books; especially those with lovely photos in them. It doesn’t matter what th’ subject is: nature, portraits, food... since ah’m an amateur photographer, ah really appreciate th’ pictures thet them professions snap!”[/colour] At the rate this pleasant conversation was going, these last couple of hours would breeze by very fast for the purple pegasus.....

Earth Writer grinned. "[colour=#8b4513]That's one of the joys of travel, isn't it? Finding the things we didn't expect. Have to admit, it did take me by surprise when I saw it, too. Comes from growing up in a small town, I guess.[/colour]"

His date's comment about coffee table books caused him to take a closer look at the selection. "[colour=#8b4513]Hm, not much here today on that. But yeah, I know what you mean. I have an atlas at home; I really like maps myself, especially the old hoof-drawn ones. I could spend an hour taking in the details.[/colour]" He smiled in reminiscence as the pair moved slowly along. "[colour=#8b4513]Kind of takes me back; when I was school, I'd finish work before most of the students, and spend the minutes between assignments staring at the world map, just thinking about all the different places it showed.[/colour]"

A few more blocks brought them to the University Boulevard, a wide street cutting through the smaller neighborhoods, linking the colleges to the Plaza. A lot of students were streaming down towards Downtown Canterlot, as classes had mostly let off for the evening. Many of them had dates, and were taking them to such places as they could afford on an undergraduate's budget. Earth Writer thought he recognized a professor or two in the crowd as well. "[colour=#8b4513]Did you bring a camera with you? This would make a fine picture.[/colour]"

1zq8oio.png

As Earth Writer mused back on his childhood days, he and Sugar Apple found themselves rather close to Canterlot University now. Hence, all the young adults they found swarming the area. It was just too bad though for her journalist companion that the purple pegasus didn’t bring her trusty old camera along. [colour=#800080]“Sorry hun,”[/colour] the mare bemusedly explained; [colour=#800080]“Ah didn’t think ah’d need it for th’ date. Ah don’t really bring it along unless ah’m on vacation, so yeah, it never crossed my mind t' bring mah camera along.”[/colour]

Watching the university students go about on there Hearts & Hooves business, Sugar couldn’t help but start reminiscing herself; [colour=#800080]“This kinda reminds me of back when ah was earnin’ my associate degree at th’ Cloudsdale Aerologic College. Th’ surrounding area would always teem with us students too whenever classes ended for th’ day. Ahhh, those were th’ days, when ah could party and rock out almost every weekend.....”[/colour]

"[colour=#8b4513]Hm...[/colour]" Earth Writer stood for a while with Sugar Apple, waiting for the University crowds to pass by. Memories of his own student days came back to him, and he had to chuckle at the contrast. "[colour=#8b4513]I wasn't much part of the party crowd myself; my floormates would usually have to drag me out to whatever was going on, if they could get me away from whatever I was studying at the time.[/colour]" The stallion shrugged, his face thoughtful. "[colour=#8b4513]I have to wonder, would we have looked at each other twice if we'd met back then? Life sure is full of surprises.[/colour]"

The streets had begun to thin out when Earth Writer offered a hoof to his date, and began to escort her across the street. The setting sun had thrown the narrow passageways into shadow, and already the streetlights were illuminated, reflecting light onto the cobblestones from the many windows facing the street. "[colour=#8b4513]Now, if I remember, there's a shortcut through these streets back to the station. The plaza can get crowded at night, and we might not get through the press if we take the main thoroughfare."[/colour]